Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exporting Vintage Car to UK

Options
  • 12-11-2019 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've had an offer for my Austin Healey from a gentleman in the UK,

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/austin-healey-frogeye-sprite-1960/22733052

he wants to give me a 10% deposit and collect it in a few weeks but he needs me to send him a guarantee of some sort that I'll hold the car and won't do a runner...,

any ideas because I've never did this before or any other advice on exporting a vintage car would be great,

thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I wouldn't. There's a good chance the buyer will be looking for their money back in "a few weeks".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I don't see much wrong with it. I sold my previous car to a person coming from abroad. If the buyer is serious you should be OK. Make sure you hand over the VR Document with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

I dont see a problem with someone giving you a deposit as outlined . I would however harden up on "A few weeks" . There is no "Guarantee" you can give other than your word . Agree on a collection date subject to the deposit being non refundable should the car not be collected on due date . I have also sold cars to UK without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I’d be booking him a ryan air flight , collect him let him view it and take from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

thanks chaps...:)

is it the old RF200 form that I need to fill out or is it different for export?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

you don't need to fill anything in, just give him the documents with the car and inform Shannon you have done so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kop77 wrote: »
    he wants to give me a 10% deposit and collect it in a few weeks but he needs me to send him a guarantee of some sort that I'll hold the car and won't do a runner....
    Sounds like it's up to him to specify what guarantee would suffice!

All you can do is remove the ad, give bank details and reassure him, really. He's the one that has to make a leap of faith. Definitely get a defined time period, however. Doing this should actually reassure him, as if you were planning a runner an open-ended agreement would be better.

I paid a deposit to someone in the UK last week to take a car off the market, and I knew if I didn't buy the car I wasn't getting that back. A deposit isn't a free swing to kick tyres.

Advertisement