Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Grealish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

zell12 wrote: »
    To point out that a significant amount of people of Nigerian origin are Irish citizens, and the Census reflects them as Irish, therefore the per capita figures are misleading

Not in 2011 they weren't when figures were at €26k per head. The Moonie style citizenship ceremonies came after that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Link?

I'm sure you're very familiar with them Matt, people have been providing you with all the statistics you've asked for for a long time now, you're one of the obvious ones with skin in the game, you could at least be subtle about it.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

if you are asking a question, the answer to which could cast any minority in a negative light, then you should not be asking the question.

That appeared to be the approach taken to the Muslim grooming gangs who were gang raping young British girls in Rotherham and all over the North of England. Certainly the government and Social Services had the attitude that it was far better not to ask questions than to risk accusations of racism. It was certainly the attitude of the Muslim community in Rotherham when the crimes became public knowledge, they were outraged not by the grooming and the rapes but because it would portray them in a poor light and bring criticism of Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭malinheader

So you're guessing more Poles work and that Nigerians don't work?

No need to guess. Take a walk round a few sites or other jobs and open your eyes. Where are they . Can't be all driving taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Faugheen wrote: »
    He has no evidence.

He’s a ‘wanker whipping up fear’, as our President once so eloquently said.

He saw what being a generalising racist did to Peter Casey and is appealing to that vote, and the same morons who fell for it when Casey was doing it are falling for it again.

Care to actually list the things that Casey said that were racist ?

Or are you resorting to the usual trite shyte of labeling anyone that asks hard questions of, or says anything negative about, certain pet groups of the left and liberally hip as a racist ? :rolleyes:

Maybe it is just me, but I haven't met many Nigerian cleaners, builders, engineers, mechanics, sales reps, developers.
    On the other hand I have met quite a few Poles doing all those jobs.

Hell I have found way more South Africans working here than Nigerians and I guess the numbers would not be as large.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Link?

Still waiting on your link I asked for yesterday Matt?

You high tailed it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I'm more concerned about the colossal amount of money being spent here.
    We give money away to folk outside Ireland. Always have. If we want to curtail that that's fine. Singling out people is where you start entering dodgy territory IMO.

Yes I’m concerned about the 24 billion SW budget too. We can’t afford it and it’s ridiculous. But that’s not what this thread is about.
    Who is the “We” you speak of?!? I’m not a Nigerian and neither are you. This is about a very small community with a large % not in employment so in receipt of means tested SW payments being in a position to send 5000 million euros out of the country.
    You think it’s unremarkable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I have just been thinking (yeah I know Matt it is something we do sometimes between the old racism and stuff but I digress) and I am now really p***d off.

There is loads of money leaving Ireland for Nigeria,
    but yet no fooking sign of the money from Nigeria left to me by my long lost cousin
    Fokii Iwo Eku Elede Adebiyi Kambili Uloho Jamesie Mayo, may he rest in peace. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭elperello

chicorytip wrote: »
    On what evidence does Grealish base his claim? It would be a fair point to make if all of this money had been amassed from criminal activity. Foreigners living and working in Ireland still represent a small percentage of the overall population and the vast majority are law abiding.

I don't know what motivates Mr Grealish.

I do know that Mr Varadkar's folksy tales about hard working emigrants are no match for people who are ready to play the racist card.

If there is a problem we need to know and if there is not we also need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭enricoh

He has no evidence.

He saw what being a generalising racist did to Peter Casey and is appealing to that vote, and the same morons who fell for it when Casey was doing it are falling for it again.

45% of Africans in employment vs 66% of irish, yet Nigerians can send home bucketloads-
    is the cso racist faugheen? Are they **** whipping up fear?!!
    When all else fails pull the racist card faugheen - except it dont work anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭baldbear

Nigerians have one of the highest unemployment rates in Ireland so for so much money been sent out is quite surprising.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp11eoi/cp11eoi/lfnmfl/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

You would have to be blind not to be able to extrapolate from the stats you have been given in this thread. Significantly lower employment rates, higher welfare rates, and yet they repatriate in excess of ten times the amount of money than any other nationality. Do you seriously not think that there may be something dodgy going on here and that it should be looked at? Do you honestly believe that anyone who does think that it should be examined is a racist?

Maybe there is a legitimate explanation. Maybe the Polish don't send as much home because their relatives at home are well off, and don't need the money. Maybe there are some very wealthy legitimate Nigerian businessmen here who send a large amount of taxed money back, and that inflates the average to the more than €20k pa. for every Nigerian. Or maybe the 94% bogus asylum rate, and a historic top down culture of corruption, which has permeated through their society, has engendered an attitude of criminality and fraud, and it should be investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭enricoh

Do they still have control of the crack cocaine trade here? gotta be a few quid in that, user numbers are on the rise too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think the thread title should be updated to show the general gist of what Grealish said around cash transfers abroad.

I am in Grealish's constituency - he has a relatively safe seat but, right or wrong, I firmly believe he will get a lot more votes as a result of his recent speeches.

I think these transfers should be investigated and analysed. Maybe there is nothing in it but maybe there is a high degree of welfare fraud. Leo's response was pathetic. He seems to have checked out in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

According to 2014 figures in the Irish Times:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/almost-one-in-eight-living-in-ireland-hail-from-abroad-1.2471339

Poles 118,042
    British 115,658
    Lithuanians 35,617
    Latvians 20,086
    Nigerians 19,727

Unusually, the CSO figures put less than 10,000 Nigerian people in Ireland in 2016.
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

Regardless of either of the above, the questions till remains.
    Why is a so much going to France?

France is a hub for a lot of West Africa with flights, possibly finance.

Money may be routed to more local wire services, African or other banks from there.

Maybe.

The reason they do not want to investigate is because they already know alot of the money is obtained illegally.
    The country is seriously heading for bad times with a government who would rather turn a blind eye than be seen to be politically incorrect or racist to protect alot of bogus migrants whose main aim is to scam and bleed the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blueshade wrote: »
    I'm sure you're very familiar with them Matt, people have been providing you with all the statistics you've asked for for a long time now, you're one of the obvious ones with skin in the game, you could at least be subtle about it.;)

TBF, folk are suppose to put links when they cite 'facts'.
    I'll take it as made up.

Now by skin in the game, am I supposed to be Nigerian? I believe life began in Africa but I'd be hard pressed to find any relatives there.
    My only skin in the game is calling out waffle, (see above) on behalf of decent Irish people of all lineage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

TBF, folk are suppose to pride links when they cite 'facts'.
    I'll take it as made up.

Now by skin in the game, am I supposed to be Nigerian? I believe life began in Africa but I'd be hard pressed to find any relatives there.
    My only skin in the game is speaking up on behalf of decent Irish people of all lineage.

Your skin in the game is that you are a virtue signalling, beardy, woke bloke. You have to be seen to be on the right side of every perceived social justice issue, regardless of science, or evidence. You're like a parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Leo was quick to jump in with stories of Granny Varadkardashian!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

There are obvious questions to be answered. The attempts to silence a TD asking questions, which may have perfectly legitimate answers, is intolerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    There are obvious questions to be answered. The attempts to silence a TD asking questions, which may have perfectly legitimate answers, is intolerable.

Non conformity of thought, challenging the status quo and agreed consensus leads to a backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭elperello

An endless thread filled with conjecture will do no good for anyone.

We need facts to put an end to speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

elperello wrote: »
    An endless thread filled with conjecture will do no good for anyone.

We need facts to put an end to speculation.

Answers to the amount sources and regulations deal with the questions he raised. They don’t deal with the attempt to silence questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

sabat wrote: »
    This is obviously what he was talking about, which was left out of Leo's list of countries:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/nigerians-send-nearly-500m-a-year-home-from-ireland-29278045.html

That's worth looking into tbh given the high number of unemployed Nigerians or some of them that are doing a bit sharing a taxi between 3 keeping the car on the road 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

He has no evidence.

pathetic argument but hardly surprising ,
    you not got some hating to be doing elsewhere against "the brits" and the poppy and all that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Bambi wrote: »
    what's 3.4 billion over 8 years to a single country based on the amount of nationals from that country in Ireland, the figure seems way out of whack.

425 million a year or 1.16 million a day. Something smells off to me , that's a serious amount of money getting exported . Fair play to Grealish to calling it out as he sees it. There must be some money in taxi driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

425 million a year or 1.16 million a day. Something smells off to me , that's a serious amount of money getting exported . Fair play to Grealish to calling it out as he sees it. There must be some money in taxi driving

I see some of the weasels in the Social Democrats @Owen Hanley calling out racism once again at Noel Grealish and being endorsed by party leadership

The Social Democrats really had a chance to make some ground on the top 2 Parties and they are blowing it badly this year. Very disappointed in them. They are looking quite fractured with members taking very different stances on policy.

Especially when you have no over heads. I would say they get away with alot more than our own drivers as not to be seen as being picked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The more vocal the screaming of "racism" the more likely it is that he's onto something :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'll never forget the time a Nigeria came to view a room in a house share I was living in in south Dublin and after I showed him around he said how much is the deposit and that he'd be back in a few minutes with it. lol. I'm sure that's not the way it works back home in Nigeria either sonny boy.

And then there was the other Nigerian who was actually living there (twas me that let him the room) who was studying for a Ph.d in UCD nearby, who when he was going on a trip abroad asked me to 'ask' the landlord if it was okay that he didn't pay any rent while he was away. lol. Again I'm sure it doesn't work like that back home in Nigeria either.

When I was in college last year doing a business course with PC apps we had a few classes in cyber security and one section of the course was entitled "The Nigerian Connection". God, you'd think the college would be a bit more PC, ha! Of course it was all about cyber fraud largely connected to Nigeria.

And now your out and out racist if you have the gall to suggest any kind of wrong-doings by Nigerians. Heck, even if it's true your still racist. You really just gotta laugh eh.

Advertisement