Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met Eireann blames media over Lorenzo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People are never happy.

Giving out that weather is bad, and giving out that it's not bad enough.

Flights were cancelled because of Lorenzo. I doubt DAA planners are basing their decisions off the tabloids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭spookwoman

So we should forget about the National Emergency Coordination Group meetings and Evelyn Cusack staying it's not believed that it will be update to level red......

https://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2019/1002/1079557-storm-lorenzo/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

These Yellow Orange and Red warnings are a joke. Sure the past two nights in Donegal have been as bad as anything Lorenzo gave and there was no storm name. Then the A to Z of storm names and along comes one from a different place like Emma or Lorenzo in fact. Have we even used any of the storm names for our waters yet?

They should go back to the force 1 to 10 of the old days. I always knew how windy it was going to be when your man with the glasses and needle pointed at force 9 off the west coast. At least the forces had an index like "enough to blow branches off a tree" or "enough to break a house chimney" . See you knew what you were dealing with.

Does Orange break a chimney or is it Red. The force measurements gave you a simple 1 to 10 of likely events. Colours dont. And neither does kph. Thats for car speeds not winds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

pauldry wrote: »
    These Yellow Orange and Red warnings are a joke. Sure the past two nights in Donegal have been as bad as anything Lorenzo gave and there was no storm name. Then the A to Z of storm names and along comes one from a different place like Emma or Lorenzo in fact. Have we even used any of the storm names for our waters yet?

They should go back to the force 1 to 10 of the old days. I always knew how windy it was going to be when your man with the glasses and needle pointed at force 9 off the west coast. At least the forces had an index like "enough to blow branches off a tree" or "enough to break a house chimney" . See you knew what you were dealing with.

Does Orange break a chimney or is it Red. The force measurements gave you a simple 1 to 10 of likely events. Colours dont. And neither does kph. Thats for car speeds not winds.
    It's the Beaufort scale, force 1 - 12 and they still use those when it's particularly strong but also use the names associated with each force (e.g. force 10 is storm force, force 12 is hurricane force). And this scale is based on the wind speed so you can't exactly do away with them.
    You talk about the wind required to "blow branches off a tree" but that's very imprecise. For example, a near-gale force wind in winter probably wouldn't cause a huge amount of damage to trees as they'd be bare. The same wind speed in the middle of summer would cause significantly more damage due to the trees being in full leaf. That's the idea behind the colour coded warnings. It assesses the impact of a weather system and the effects it will cause rather than just looking at the strength of the winds (although that's also a part of it). I do think that Met Éireann should do away with the county-wide warnings though. A red warning may be warranted for west Cork while the north east of the county could be relatively unaffected.

Lorenzo was overhyped by the media. MÉ only issued a yellow warning (not unusual weather, localised danger) for the vast majority of the country, yet you had RTE with correspondents in Howth and Waterford talking about the damage from Lorenzo (of which there was almost none). They were correct to highlight that it could potentially affect the country but once the track was nailed down, they moderated their warnings. Unfortunately, the media nowadays know that people lap up sensationalism and ran with the "killstorm" angle for more clicks.

As for the storm names, storms have been named by various other European Met offices for quite a while now. However, I believe that any ex-hurricanes that affect the UK and Ireland will retain the name given to it by the NHC in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

totally pretty rough couple of nights but it wasnt a storm (i guess we didnt meet any criteria for yellow weather warnings)

actually not a bad idea the beaufort scale had a lot of positives going for it i can look out at the sea and know its force 4 or 5 when you get white tops on the waves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    People are never happy.

Giving out that weather is bad, and giving out that it's not bad enough.

Flights were cancelled because of Lorenzo. I doubt DAA planners are basing their decisions off the tabloids.
    They have a point but they are as much to blame for it in the sense of not talking about the weather. I've noticed recent warnings leading with the actual forecast while the warning itself is tucked way at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

ME definitely aren't perfect over storms, hampered in part by a poorish warning system in place, but still they aren't perfect. But they're spot on here.

Even today, Dublin Live have reported ME forecasting two days of snow for Dublin this week. It's direct misinterpretation and click baiting and no one comes after the rag that writes it. It falls back onto ME because they said it. Has to be some sort of legal route to be taken as it happens at least once a week from the likes of the Sun or Joe.ie where ME apparently say this and that and it's always some massive blown up story.

It's created a national weather forecasting agency that outside of us weather nerds that no one trusts or thinks is any use. Ask an average joe what they think of ME and I'm you'll get some variant of "shur they don't even know what the weather is like at the moment never mind tomorrow". I don't know where Fianna Fails "fake news" bill ended up but there needs to be some sort of ramification for the constant inaccurate portrayal of forecasts by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

RTE reporters were some of the worst George Lee with waves as big as a three storey house heading towards the West Coast and Teresa live in Salthill in the lashing rain waiting for the storm that never came

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

George Lee was the worst of them all. He kept using the word 'Hurricane' when it had ceased to be a hurricane long before. Lorenzo really exposed the hype and I felt MetE could have been more argumentative with RTE when they were being interviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

rte has never forecast for us in the northwest in my time here (over 20 years) pretty much everyone I know will use a weather app to see the forecast. it's long standing joke that you don't trust rte forecasts for the northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

They should focus on fixing that bloody radar.. Inept organization

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The weather warning system has to work for more than just wind storms though. November 2010 would not have registered on the Beaufort scale, so what do you do there? Even during wind storms, the pure strength of the wind isn’t the only defining characteristic of how dangerous it might be. There needs to be some impact based system, and an evolution of the one we have now will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

George Lee was the worst of them all. He kept using the word 'Hurricane' when it had ceased to be a hurricane long before. Lorenzo really exposed the hype and I felt MetE could have been more argumentative with RTE when they were being interviewed.
    I'll say one thing about UK Met people, they have no problem in calling out hyped up, BS articles about the weather, but then, the Brits have never shied away from challenging the system.

New Moon

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think the problem is also partly that only 3 levels of alerts means there can be huge variances within them. I'd rather see some more tiers coupled with wind force for example. It woould mean more accurate and county specific warnings.

Advertisement