Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way around the deemed disposable rule

Options
  • 10-11-2019 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

I'm 23, and I've always been interested in finance. I had planned to invest in funds such as the S&P 500, once I started working, and had a safety net in place.

I recently discovered the deemed disposable rule (which is stupid, why should I have to pay tax as if I've sold every 8 years), which kinda ruins my plans. Is there any way around this? Or are there any European funds that track American funds, that only require me to pay tax when I sell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I'm 23, and I've always been interested in finance. I had planned to invest in funds such as the S&P 500, once I started working, and had a safety net in place.

I recently discovered the deemed disposable rule (which is stupid, why should I have to pay tax as if I've sold every 8 years), which kinda ruins my plans. Is there any way around this? Or are there any European funds that track American funds, that only require me to pay tax when I sell?
    Seems to be a way around all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Just to note that whatever tax you pay every 8 years is then used to offset the tax you have to pay when you actually dispose of the asset

The 8th year rule is there so revenue at least get some tax in instead of having to wait 20 years to get it

Non-EU-domiciled ETFs are CGT tax so if you find an American ETF that tracks the S&P500 then it's only CGT when you sell.

EU-domiciled ETFs are Exit tax (deemded disposal tax)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Is it not time that we formed a group and lobbied for a more coherent approach on this

Advertisement