Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I would presume it means >8 passengers.

That was my understanding, no idea why that is in my head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^
    It's a crossover point in driver licenses. You can drive a vehicle with up to 8 passengers on a car (B) license. Above that number you have to have a bus (D1 <=16) (D >16) license.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

First question from taxi dave. Hello, am I on???? My quesion is why don't cyclists pay the road tax :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

we should play cyclist bingo while it’s on.
    10 points each for “road tax”, insurance, helmets, hi vis and red lights. First to 100 post “house”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

tomasrojo wrote: »
    One lock and a noose? That is a good lock, but it only gets two stars from ART. I think the only three-star lock in the orange Kryptonite range is the Series 4, which I think has a thicker shackle.

Anyway, he's very good-humoured about it, as he was about getting piled on last week, at least from what I saw of his Twitter account.

One of his follow up tweets said that he only had the cable lock securing the bike when it was taken. It's depressing that neglecting to use two locks could be understood to be a mistake on behalf of the cyclist.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    we should play cyclist bingo while it’s on.
    10 points each for “road tax”, insurance, helmets, hi vis and red lights. First to 100 post “house”.

Don't forget speeding! Always flying around dem cyclists.

check_six wrote: »
    Don't forget speeding! Always flying around dem cyclists.

I must admit I have a slight pang of guilt when I’m doing 32 kph on the quays and cars are passing me at 60 kph plus

I must admit I have a slight pang of guilt when I’m doing 32 kph on the quays and cars are passing me at 60 kph plus

Sounds like a drafting opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

'I'm a cyclist myself but...'

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

'I'm a cyclist myself but...'

:mad:

double points

"Cyclist flew past me. I could have been killed stone dead." :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Fairplay Louise for not accepting the premise of that read out..

It is frustrating that those comments are sorta ok, if I said from tomorrow I'm going to start running over people in my car, that wouldn't be ok.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sounds like a drafting opportunity.

No point drafting in Dublin, traffic is too slow most of the time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

"Cyclist flew past me. I could have been killed stone dead." :confused:

'I was driving and saw a cyclist do something dangerous and nearly dropped my phone.'

'I was driving and saw a cyclist do something dangerous and nearly dropped my phone.'

Or what I observed last night "I was in heavy traffic, engrossed in a video on my phone I has mounted on the dash, when a cyclist came up my outside. I was startled by his front strobe, so paused the YouTube I was watching to suss out what was going on". I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

One of his follow up tweets said that he only had the cable lock securing the bike when it was taken. It's depressing that neglecting to use two locks could be understood to be a mistake on behalf of the cyclist.

Yeah, someone attempted to steal my cargo bike from my driveway. I left it there with just the ring lock on, as I was going to head to the shops straight away, and then I got delayed for a good while inside the house, and when I came out, the cargo bike was lying on the ground.

Anyway, I guess if the would-be thief had figured out why he was having so much trouble moving the bike and it had been stolen, I'd have blamed myself for only having used one lock, and not an especially formidable lock at that. I did keep returning to the thought of how difficult my life would have been for weeks or months to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

caoimhecollins.jpg

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-dont-want-to-die-on-my-bike-girl-11-urges-shane-ross-to-invest-in-cycling-infrastructure-38671327.html
    An 11-year-old has urged Shane Ross to invest in cycling infrastructure, telling the Minister for Transport this evening that she didn't want to "die cycling on her bike".

Caoimhe Collins was speaking to minister at the launch of an initiative aiming at giving bus drivers an idea of what roads are like for cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Am curious, the event was:

"He was attending an event in Dublin city centre today to launch a new Dublin Bus initiative. It will see its drivers trained using virtual reality technology to give them a view of the roads from a cyclist’s perspective."

Why do they need VR to do this?
    Assuming drivers have to have a certain level of mobility and fitness (especially new drivers, I'd hope), why not stick them on electric bikes and bring them out of the road to properly experience the roads and the joys of a bus passing with inch's to spare?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tokenism and buzzwords.

Getting on a bike isn't very "cloud".

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Cabaal wrote: »
    Am curious, the event was:

"He was attending an event in Dublin city centre today to launch a new Dublin Bus initiative. It will see its drivers trained using virtual reality technology to give them a view of the roads from a cyclist’s perspective."

Why do they need VR to do this?
    Assuming drivers have to have a certain level of mobility and fitness (especially new drivers, I'd hope), why not stick them on electric bikes and bring them out of the road to properly experience the roads and the joys of a bus passing with inch's to spare?

I'm guessing it removes the risk of a driver on a bike being run off the road by an unwitting colleague and, probably more importantly, avoids any ensuing court claim against Dublin Bus for placing the driver in mortal peril.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

She gave him 40 roses to symbolise the 40 cyclist deaths since he became minister, and he accepted them with grace apparently. And then left them behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

This is a fantastic idea. All he cares about is PR so highlighting his complete ineptitude in such a way is a touch of genius.
    I also think getting kids to embaress him shows exactly how poor he is and the lack of any sort of infrastructure for them.
    Well done!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have to say overall I'm impressed with how I Bike Dublin are handling themselves, the protecting cycle lanes and the die in's is a fantastic way of getting attention.
    I'm not in Dublin must but if I'm ever up there an they are doing any of these things I'll certainly be making it my business to attend...even if I don't have a bike with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Cabaal wrote: »
    why not stick them on electric bikes and bring them out of the road to properly experience the roads and the joys of a bus passing with inch's to spare?

Why Electric bikes?

This method looks good to me:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The RSA tweeted yesterday about the dangers of the low winter sun blinding drivers...
    https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1192547270756950017

But why bother? It's not like you could get into trouble for killing someone this way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Driving at a speed appropriate to conditions?

kFJVH.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement