Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Any suggestions as to best way to short the S&P from here ? Not interested in TVIX etc.

E-Mini Futures definitely the way to go. And if you've a small bank you can go with E-Micros which are 1/10 the value. Margin requirement is about $1K for those if holding overnight. GL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    E-Mini Futures definitely the way to go. And if you've a small bank you can go with E-Micros which are 1/10 the value. Margin requirement is about $1K for those if holding overnight. GL

Thanks will look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,899 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Shorting is a mugs game here, pure gambling, there could be a melt-up before a meltdown.

Thargor wrote: »
    Shorting is a mugs game here, pure gambling, there could be a melt-up before a meltdown.

Aware of that, doing my DD first.

I don't short individual companies, but have no problem shorting a faux economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Any suggestions as to best way to short the S&P from here ? Not interested in TVIX etc.

You could always look into S&P Proshares UltraShort 500 (SDS). Will be looking to increase my investment there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Maybe i shouldn't have been greedy yesterday. Ryanair at 13.75 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Maybe i shouldn't have been greedy yesterday. Ryanair at 13.75 at the moment.

Offloaded a chunck of mine today.

I like the GAA axiom "Take your points, the goals will come"

Terrible difficult to gauge where markets are going. Loads of pointers to a recession but stockmarkets are roaring ahead.

Posters were saying on here during the summer how they had liquidated their entire stock portfolio and were waiting for the big crash ....before getting back in. Markets must be up 10-15% since the summer. (My personal oddball mixture of a portfolio is 10% higher now than this summer).

What are ye thinking now? Is the crash just postponed?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bradygaz

$CLI on the ASX in Australia.

Penny stock.

Agtech company which has expanded in to hemp (CBD oil) farming on a large scale in US. Down 40% in the last month so I am in for the long haul. Market Cap of AU$16m with sales agreement for 30% of crop at AU$15.4m. Harvest almost complete with latest stock market announcement indicating no change in projected revenue of AU$50m revenue. Commodity stock so money not in the bank until product is sold. Hemp prices falling but have storage space to hold crop until new year.

Further expansion plans to be announced for 2020.

A wild ride of a spec hemp/cannabis stock!! Will crash or else go 10X - 20X!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Offloaded a chunck of mine today.

I like the GAA axiom "Take your points, the goals will come"

Terrible difficult to gauge where markets are going. Loads of pointers to a recession but stockmarkets are roaring ahead.

Posters were saying on here during the summer how they had liquidated their entire stock portfolio and were waiting for the big crash ....before getting back in. Markets must be up 10-15% since the summer.

Why would people not do trailing stop orders rather than selling (unless you need the money of course), that way you can avail of any ongoing upturn in the market/your shares while protecting most (hopefully) of your profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Why would people not do trailing stop orders rather than selling (unless you need the money of course), that way you can avail of any ongoing upturn in the market/your shares while protecting most (hopefully) of your profits.

How far down would you set it?

Do you get back into the stock after your stop order is breached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

PTI rallying today, bought a small amount a few months ago, breaking even now. million dollar question is hold or sell. Think might hold seems to be good news forthcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Cute Hoor wrote: »

Stop orders (for buying or selling at a specific price point) can be handy if you haven't got time to check the stock markets regularly.... and see whats happening on any given day.

I don't have that problem ....I spend a few hours every weekday checking the stock market soo I can act almost immediately to take advantage (or NOT) of any situation that I see unfolding..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

How far down would you set it?

Do you get back into the stock after your stop order is breached

You can set it by amount or %, I have used it with % and I used 10% but each to their own of course. If your share is $100 today and you set a 10% stop limit it will sell as soon as it hits lower than $90, if it goes to $120 next week it will sell as soon as it hits lower than $108, and so on. I have used it successfully a couple of times over the last few years, and bought back in cheaper because I believed in the stocks. It is not without risk though, a sudden 11% (or worse) drop in share price before recovering immediately means you have sold 'cheap' and can't get back in. It's a useful facility to have to be treated with caution, particularly risky when a company issues bad news with a massive sp drop before recovering - your order will activate before you become aware of the bad news so you might be hit for a 50% loss (or worse)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Can you use % stop loss on Degiro, can only see a box to enter £/$/€ amounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Can you use % stop loss on Degiro, can only see a box to enter £/$/€ amounts?

Only on the German site, at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Can Irish customers sign in to the german site?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

XMG wrote: »
    Buy zone? 48 million or 80% of the companies outstanding come out of lockup on Tuesday 29th Oct so there’s that...

What are people's opinion of Beyond Meat?
    Floated at $25 - up as high as $234 and now at $79 - lock out period is over and earnings were very good. It actually makes money. Sales guidance is at $270M for the year though it's valued at $4.5B which seems a crazy valuation on that type of turnover.

Is it still over hyped? Over sold or has found it's level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Bob Harris wrote: »
    What are people's opinion of Beyond Meat?
    Floated at $25 - up as high as $234 and now at $79 - lock out period is over and earnings were very good. It actually makes money. Sales guidance is at $270M for the year though it's valued at $4.5B which seems a crazy valuation on that type of turnover.

Is it still over hyped? Over sold or has found it's level?

The other company doing the same thing has far

better product.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? :confused:

61L035d.png

pWmb0Hc.png

r8Tjn5k.png

r48cDzI.png

ldIwzeu.png

FFVII wrote: »
    The other company doing the same thing has far

better product.

That's one of my concerns. It's an easy product to copy too and there are some major players in that sector.

I still think it's way over-valued and realistically was fairly reasonably priced for the IPO. What happened after is like Tilray. Every once in a while there is an orgy over a particular stock and people ride the beejeesus out of it and then move on.

• Advertisement

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? :confused:

If they actually tried to do anything meaningful about the debt it would tear the arse out of the US economy and beyond so they just keep propping it up.

If they actually tried to do anything meaningful about the debt it would tear the arse out of the US economy and beyond so they just keep propping it up.

So we've essentially gone from cyclical economies to a perpetual bull market?

Time to buy? :pac:

It's hard to watch.

So we've essentially gone from cyclical economies to a perpetual bull market?

Time to buy? :pac:

It's hard to watch.

It will fall and fall hard. The usual domino effect. But then everyone will go to confession only to carry on committing the same sins once they've said their penance and in 10 years time the debt will be 33 trillion and no-one will care.

Any idea when it'll start to fall? Hate being on the sidelines.

Afraid to even DCA given everything is stacked against the market. It's like magic.

Any idea when it'll start to fall? Hate being on the sidelines.

Afraid to even DCA given everything is stacked against the market. It's like magic.

We're a year out from elections and a stock market crash wouldn't be good for Donald. Anyone's guess if he can keep it going till then. A China deal would be a help.

It might be interesting to look at the major US indices in the year before election year to see how the market has done historically.

There's a bit about it here...

https://www.thebalance.com/presidential-elections-and-stock-market-returns-2388526

Very interesting reading, thanks !

That's one of my concerns. It's an easy product to copy too and there are some major players in that sector.

I still think it's way over-valued and realistically was fairly reasonably priced for the IPO. What happened after is like Tilray. Every once in a while there is an orgy over a particular stock and people ride the beejeesus out of it and then move on.

The other one can't really be copied (patented surly?) They modified a plant to make the blood coloured hemp thingy.

FFVII wrote: »
    The other one can't really be copied (patented surly?) They modified a plant to make the blood coloured hemp thingy.

"According to Beyond Meat's website, ingredients for its plant-based patties include water, pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, rice protein and other natural flavors, including apple extract and beet juice extract (for color)"

Nothing out of the ordinary there.
    I'm sure if there is some special ingredient any of the main competitors like Whole Foods will do a pretty good job of replicating it.

"According to Beyond Meat's website, ingredients for its plant-based patties include water, pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, rice protein and other natural flavors, including apple extract and beet juice extract (for color)"

Nothing out of the ordinary there.
    I'm sure if there is some special ingredient any of the main competitors like Whole Foods will do a pretty good job of replicating it.

No, Impossible Meats is the other one. Turns out it's still privately owned for now.

They modified a plant.

Came across that there when I was trying to remember what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭crushproof

I know Disney has been mentioned here before has anyone bought in? I've kept on meaning to pull the trigger but it's jumped up to $140 overnight after more positive results.

Could be a major player in the streaming world soon

Advertisement