Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest One Hit Wonder Song

Options
  • 07-11-2019 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Boardsies greatest One Hit Wonder song.

Remember that song but can't remember much else from the act, that's what we are looking for here.

As I can't find a definitive definition of a one hit wonder, I will place some criteria for entries.

The act must not have had no more than 3 top 20 singles in the UK or US charts (mainstream charts)
    The act must be primarily known for the song entered
    The act may have had success in another band or as a solo artist.

I will leave this opened until I get a good number to go ahead with. Please PM me your 5 song picks, please include the act name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Oh yeah one hit wonders coming your way very soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Can we discuss in thread? Or do you want nominations in before all the chat?

And done....

He ruled me out from "Merry Xmas Everybody" by Slade because it usually gets to 15-20 in charts most Christmas's with the exception of 1998 to 2006 for some reason! but if we're allowed wild cards then I'd put that in anyway.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Spook_ie wrote: »
    He ruled me out from "Merry Xmas Everybody" by Slade because it usually gets to 15-20 in charts most Christmas's with the exception of 1998 to 2006 for some reason! but if we're allowed wild cards then I'd put that in anyway.

Slade had a bucket load of hits, including 6 number ones in the UK. I'm afraid this might be a Slade-free competition Spook. :D

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    The act must not have had no more than 3 top 20 singles in the UK or US charts (mainstream charts)

I have a particular act in mind. They had 3 US top 20 hits and none in the UK (2 outside the top 20). However they also had another 5 singles that made the US charts. Based on the criteria above they're in, but do they actually qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Discuss away folks. The rules may not be clear, if a song charted multiple times it still counts as one, the 3 only means 3 different songs. Also if a song chated in both regions it still counts as one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The correct and only acceptable answer is White Town - Your Woman

Zaph wrote: »
    Slade had a bucket load of hits, including 6 number ones in the UK. I'm afraid I think this might be a Slade-free competition Spook.

Ah goo on wid tha, "Merry Christmas Everybody" is a one hit Christmas record just like Wizard's "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday"

Ah goo on wid tha, "Merry Christmas Everybody" is a one hit Christmas record just like Wizard's "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday"

Surely you're not denying the Holder/Lea genius of "Cum On Feel the Noize", "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" or "Coz I Luv You"?

Weirdly enough, Wizzard had two number ones, and "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" wasn't one of them.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Surely you're not denying the Holder/Lea genius of "Cum On Feel the Noize", "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" or "Coz I Luv You"?

Weirdly enough, Wizzard had two number ones, and "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" wasn't one of them.

Nah but Xmas records, come on they're a genre of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Nah but Xmas records, come on they're a genre of their own.

Get the OP up so Spook ;)

Can we have rule 4, no feçking Christmas songs?!

Anyway, it's clearly Chesney Hawkes ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Submitted there. Chesney Hawkes did not make my list as I'm sure someone else will nominate him.

I was going for Men At Work - Down Under but apparently on some research they did pretty damn well for themselves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

So in.

So close! Sinead O'Connor and Freddie Mercury have both had 4 songs in the UK top 20, I was sure one of them would come second to Chesney...

Edit: so have Evanescence, wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Edited to remove submitted songs!!

Here are a few that I was close to submitting..
    If I spent even a half hour thinking of this I'd probably have a list a mile long.

Soul Asylum - Runaway Train
    Joan Osborne - One of Us
    Don't Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
    The La's - There She Goes
    Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
    Modest Mouse - Float On
    Ace - How Long

Maybe better not to post your submitted songs in the thread but feel free to discuss any songs.

If ye think rule 1 is ruling out a lot of songs we would assume are OHW, please shout, maybe we can amend this rule. Possibly change it to 3 top 10 single?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Kolido wrote: »
    If ye think rule 1 is ruling out a lot of songs we would assume are OHW, please shout, maybe we can amend this rule. Possibly change it to 3 top 10 single?

Disagree. Top 10 singles are definitely hits, having 3 of them, you're not a OHW

• Advertisement

I agree with the rule too, I've just been caught out by a few I thought would count (Nothing Compares, Barcelona, Bring Me To Life)

That's my lack of knowledge though

I agree with the rule too, I've just been caught out by a few I thought would count (Nothing Compares, Barcelona, Bring Me To Life)

That's my lack of knowledge though

Evanescence would qualify if it was only US counted. For example, A-ha are considered a US OHW, yet they had 8 top 10 UK hits. So maybe having both regions are where a lot of act will fall short.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

One for me too. Dexys Midnight Runners were bigger than Come on Eileen, who knew :pac:

Necro wrote: »
    One for me too. Dexys Midnight Runners were bigger than Come on Eileen, who knew :pac:

Their first number one, Geno, is a much better song imo. Actually heard it on the radio for the first time in years last week, which reminded me just how good it is.

Zaph wrote:
    Their first number one, Geno, is a much better song imo. Actually heard it on the radio for the first time in years last week, which reminded me just how good it is.

Well now I'm just gonna have to check that out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

How exactly does this game work? After songs are submitted, what happens next?

How exactly does this game work? After songs are submitted, what happens next?

After the submissions are compiled and ( I assume seeded) they are put to the popular vote in a series of face offs where you vote for 1 of the songs to go through to the next ko round.

Voting is done in thread and live with usually ribald comments from people who disagree with your vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

After the submissions are compiled and ( I assume seeded) they are put to the popular vote in a series of face offs where you vote for 1 of the songs to go through to the next ko round.

Voting is done in thread and live with usually ribald comments from people who disagree with your vote.

Ah good, that's what I was hoping for... :D

I've got a list of nine...

I think I'm going to have to ditch Chesney Hawkes and Rick Astley... :(

• Advertisement

I've got a list of nine...

I think I'm going to have to ditch Chesney Hawkes and Rick Astley... :(

Well if it makes you feel any better, Rick Astley had a heap of top 10 hits, not just the obvious one.

Advertisement