Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it's Spain, you'll be grand. If it was Dubai it would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1997

Hey thks for that..Ill bring his prescription with me so, should I bring them all in their packaging or is it ok in his tablet divider? Also one of his meds is Solpadol will this be an issue do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

1997 wrote: »
    Hey thks for that..Ill bring his prescription with me so, should I bring them all in their packaging or is it ok in his tablet divider? Also one of his meds is Solpadol will this be an issue do ye think?

I'm sure you'll be fine. As the other poster said, it's only Spain. Enjoy the holiday, don't stress.

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll be fine. As the other poster said, it's only Spain. Enjoy the holiday, don't stress.
    Lol..me nerves are gone, everythings changed now even down to checking in and baggage allowance..Ill need a holiday after it..thks alot for reply

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Moved to the Travel forum. Please read the local charter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

I've been to Lanazarote for the last three years. On blood pressue and cholestorel tablets and one or two other tablets. I put them into a daily divider and bring them in my carry on. Never a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ive a heap or heart meds and travel abroad frequently.
    Carry them in my hand luggage in original packaging and carry a copy of my prescription. Never had an issue.

tatranska wrote: »
    Ive a heap or heart meds and travel abroad frequently.
    Carry them in my hand luggage in original packaging and carry a copy of my prescription. Never had an issue.
    Grt,thanks so much..most his meds are for heart and pain relief. Also on anti depressants so wasnt sure when they arent over the counter drugs. Hopefully all be good so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Grt,thanks so much..most his meds are for heart and pain relief. Also on anti depressants so wasnt sure when they arent over the counter drugs. Hopefully all be good so!

Be careful of pain relief tablets. I'm some countries certain pain meds are classed as drugs. Was a case in Egypt about it.
    Check online for local laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Spain is very different from here when it comes to meds. A lot of our prescription drugs are available over the counter. For example you can buy Tramadol over the counter but Solpadeine requires a prescription (apparently it's a significantly different formula to our version).

They're also much cheaper. An anti inflammatory I need is a fifth of the price in Spain.

You'll have no issues bringing your prescription meds with you and popping into a pharmacy and checking prices while you're there could be a useful exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Bring them in your hand luggage in the original box with the pharmacy label on it. I bring a copy of my prescription because I need needles but that’s the only reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, I appreciate your concern but you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

At this time of the year, the flights to the Canaries are full of older Irish people. Given the age profile, a lot of them are travelling with medication and I have never seen any of them getting grief from security in Dublin airport. And there is virtually no check (other than passport) when you arrive there.

For certain countries in the Gulf and Asia, you can get tripped up with certain medications but nobody in Spain will have an issue with any prescribed or over the counter medicine you buy in Ireland.

If there was any issue with Irish medication being brought to the Canaries, you'd hear about it every week on Joe Duffy - 'my nan was stopped in (Canary island airport) and they confiscated her heart medication!'.

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, I appreciate your concern but you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

At this time of the year, the flights to the Canaries are full of older Irish people. Given the age profile, a lot of them are travelling with medication and I have never seen any of them getting grief from security in Dublin airport. And there is virtually no check (other than passport) when you arrive there.

For certain countries in the Gulf and Asia, you can get tripped up with certain medications but nobody in Spain will have an issue with any prescribed or over the counter medicine you buy in Ireland.

If there was any issue with Irish medication being brought to the Canaries, you'd hear about it every week on Joe Duffy - 'my nan was stopped in (Canary island airport) and they confiscated her heart medication!'.
    Ye when ye put it like that alright it makes sense,husband is only in his 40s and maybe its because we havent had a break in so long and hes had such a lot of health issues I was worried. Looking forward to the break but apprehensive at the same time! Thks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I've booked a flight from Cork to Birmingham with Aer Lingus but it seems Stobart Air operate the route and I've only twigged the smaller cabin bag limits.
    The bag I have is 52cm x 36cm x 20cm and the limit is 48 x 33 x 20 so the bag is slightly too big .
    Weight shouldn't be an issue.

From looking at older posts on here ,the overhead cabins are smaller than normal planes so there is a risk the bag might not fit.

It could be put in the hold which may or may not incur a charge .

Has anyone travelled recently with Stobart and are they very strict ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Zardoz wrote: »
    I've booked a flight from Cork to Birmingham with Aer Lingus but it seems Stobart Air operate the route and I've only twigged the smaller cabin bag limits.
    The bag I have is 52cm x 36cm x 20cm and the limit is 48 x 33 x 20 so the bag is slightly too big .
    Weight shouldn't be an issue.

From looking at older posts on here ,the overhead cabins are smaller than normal planes so there is a risk the bag might not fit.

It could be put in the hold which may or may not incur a charge .

Has anyone travelled recently with Stobart and are they very strict ?

I don’t think they are very strict, they always has a bit of leniency due to there being two different sizes but obviously don’t take my word for gospel, I’m sure other posters will have more recent experience. If you’re bag won’t fit it will have to be placed in the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Going to away in 2 months time. Whats the latest?

Only allowed bring a school bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Going to away in 2 months time. Whats the latest?

Only allowed bring a school bag?

Only priority boarding passengers will be permitted to take one small bag (40cm x 20cm x 25cm), plus a larger cabin bag (55 x 40 x 20cm) with a maximum weight allowance of 10kg into the cabin free of charge. Non-priority customers can only bring one small bag (40cm x 20cm x 25cm), that must fit into the sizer.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/baggage/bag-policy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Only priority boarding passengers will be permitted to take one small bag (40cm x 20cm x 25cm), plus a larger cabin bag (55 x 40 x 20cm) with a maximum weight allowance of 10kg into the cabin free of charge. Non-priority customers can only bring one small bag (40cm x 20cm x 25cm), that must fit into the sizer.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/baggage/bag-policy
    So, school bag only?

Got ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

The "school" bag will need to fit under the seat in front of you FWIW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Been to Newcastle recently.

Few guys in non-priority got stung with the extra bag charge.

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    Been to Newcastle recently.

Few guys in non-priority got stung with the extra bag charge.

Was in Munich a few months ago and a chap was stung with the non-priority extra bag charge, he gave the air hostess dogs abuse when he got on-board and so did his wife / partner. "I wasn't charged on the bleedin' way over", dosey fooker .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Augeo wrote: »
    Was in Munich a few months ago and a chap was stung with the non-priority extra bag charge, he gave the air hostess dogs abuse when he got on-board and so did his wife / partner. "I wasn't charged on the bleedin' way over", dosey fooker .

people like that should just be ejected from the plane before take off or denied boarding or detained for a very thurough and nice long delay of a security search after landing if they start after take off,

too many of them thing they're big hard lads trying to intimidate staff (mostly targeted at the female staff as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Augeo wrote: »

I actually saw something very similar on board a Ryanair flight once, guy sitting near me had his bag put in the hold and he gave the air hostess a piece of his mind.

Gob****e then got kicked off the plane, and everyone had to wait until his bag was taken off as well.

Idiot.

people like that should just be ejected from the plane before take off or denied boarding or ....

Be careful what you wish for.....
    ebbsy wrote: »
    I actually saw something very similar on board a Ryanair flight once, guy sitting near me had his bag put in the hold and he gave the air hostess a piece of his mind.

Gob****e then got kicked off the plane, and everyone had to wait until his bag was taken off as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

fdevine wrote: »
    The "school" bag will need to fit under the seat in front of you FWIW

Except once you’re on the plane there’s no way for staff to know if you’ve paid for the baggage or not so pretty much everybody puts them in the overheads if they want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Dodge wrote: »
    Except once you’re on the plane there’s no way for staff to know if you’ve paid for the baggage or not so pretty much everybody puts them in the overheads if they want

All they have to do is look at your boarding card for priority or non priority

I have it directly from Ryanair cabin crew, they’re seeing a return to delays from offloading cases from the cabin. This despite the new policy.
    “Delay” is mostly certainly a language Ryanair understand so watch this space for a further crack down if people don’t comply properly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

When people pay at the gate, they don’t get a new boarding pass.

Flight to Cologne recently with some friends. The bigger bags had to pay at the gate (cash only) but didn’t even get a receipt. Once onboard there was no way they could have proven their bags were now allowed in the overhead

I had a small bag and prefer it under my seat anyway. Just pointing out on the plane it can still be a free for all

Flight to Cologne recently with some friends. The bigger bags had to pay at the gate (cash only) but didn’t even get a receipt. Once onboard there was no way they could have proven their bags were now allowed in the overhead

I had a small bag and prefer it under my seat anyway. Just pointing out on the plane it can still be a free for all

Absolutely, cabin crew can’t monitor 180+ people at one time. Delays will speak volumes here and if there are reported issues there will be a clamp down

• Advertisement

I'm surprised Ryanair doesn't give them mobile payment machines. Allowing staff to collect cash at the gate is an open invitation for pilferage.

It can't be good for morale among the cabin crew - the check-in people at the gate are raking in the cash and sending people with big bags onto the plane where they will delay departure while space is found for their bags.

Advertisement