Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for a pilot

Options
  • 20-08-2018 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Like half the people on this topic, I’d love to be a pilot when I’m older. I have a question with regards to how to get to there. What did you do after the leaving Cert? What course in college did you do? After college, where did you go? In general, what educational qualifications do I need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

adamob544 wrote: »
    Like half the people on this topic, I’d love to be a pilot when I’m older. I have a question with regards to how to get to there. What did you do after the leaving Cert? What course in college did you do? After college, where did you go? In general, what educational qualifications do I need?

Hi Adam - I'm in the same boat as you, except about 10 years older if you're doing your leaving cert now. Myself I'm an engineer and saving to do my ATPL, still a year or 2 off being able to afford it. Hopefully the engineering background will have some benefit to me in the aptitude tests and exams, but plenty people go straight in after school so it's certainly not a requirement to have a college degree.

Have you any flying experience, even a few private flying classes to make sure you don't hate it (it happens some people). Also the Class 1 medical must be passed before any you spend any money on courses etc.

There are some sponsored cadetships but it's like winning the lotto trying to get a place, but do put your name forward!! Other than that there's NFC in Weston, AFTA in Cork where it'll cost 75-80k if you want to go integrated route, maybe a little cheaper if you go modular. It's a huge amount of money (hence me being about 30 before I'll have enough savings to afford it).

Perhaps people that have actually gone through the process might be more helpful than a wannabe like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

Hi can I ask what is the requirement for your eyes I heard you can't be less than 06 diopter to work as a pilot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

if you put in "how to become a pilot" in a search bar of this forum, you will find that this topic is already covered in depth before. To answer your question - you don't need a college degree to become a pilot but as sportsfan already mentioned - it costs a lot of money, so unless you have funds available, you will need good education to find a decent job that will eventually sponsor your way up to a licence.

College degree also is a plus if you decide to apply to a cadetship in an airline, but again to echo what sportsfan said, it is a lottery - try it, but don't count on it!
    clo1 wrote: »
    Hi can I ask what is the requirement for your eyes I heard you can't be less than 06 diopter to work as a pilot?
    requirements are laid out here - https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Easy_Access_Rules_for_Medical_Requirements.pdf

(1) Applicants with the following conditions may be assessed as fit subject to satisfactory
    ophthalmic evaluation and provided that optimal correction has been considered and no
    significant pathology is demonstrated:
    (i) hypermetropia not exceeding +5.0 dioptres;
    (ii) myopia not exceeding –6.0 dioptres;
    (iii) astigmatism not exceeding 2.0 dioptres;
    (iv) anisometropia not exceeding 2.0 dioptres

however if you don't meet the criteria, you wear glasses/contact lenses and the doctor can still sign you off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

clo1 wrote: »

If your sight is correctable by glasses then it's not an issue, most people's sight is. The only real game ender is if you're colour blind, google ishihara eye test and you can take the test in seconds to see if you are.

Regarding the OP's initial question, if I've learned anything on my journey to the flight deck it's that there is no set path to it. Everyone of us comes from different backgrounds, be that an aviation management degree in dcu, arts in maynooth or indeed no university education at all. We are 19 year olds fresh from school, 23 yr old college graduates and 35 yr old career changers.

If you're undecided on what to pick in the LC then do physics, it can help you understand a few concepts which will be of use during the ATPL ground school. Try to aspire to higher level maths too, it's not essential but it will get the brain working, which will be handy in the ATPL again.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

Hi Adam, some good advice above but really consider just going to university and getting a degree first, be it aviation related or not. You'll still be in your early twenties going for your pilot training and entering the jobs market not long after which is ideal. The aviation world is tough, a modest medical complaint can see you out of flying, airlines come and go, the long and extreme hours can be tough too. Have a back up plan, enjoy college, make lots of friends and contacts, get a degree and then go after flying. I regret not doing it that way even though it has worked out very well for me. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

CLASS ONE MEDICAL!

First and foremost because nothing else matter if you don't have that.

Advertisement