Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third world water for Dublin City

Options
  • 05-11-2019 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Do people realise that the water collected at Leixlip contains very significant quantities of treated sewage discharge from every plant upstream of Leixlip all the way to Ballymore Eustace; one of the largest treatment plants in the country discharges at Osberstown near Naas into the the Liffey and this water is then used again through the plant at Leixslip- this water includes all noxious chemicals the whole of Kildare flushes and washes down their sinks! That's what we're drinking in the Dublin City 2019.

I'm surprised is this hasn't been highlighted before- an accident waiting to happen and I'd say alarms were ignored for many years; we need new proper purpose built reservoir in the midlands for the city- Liffey water with sewage discharge and agricultural run off is a public health scandal ; at least abstracted water upstream of Ballymore Eustace is some way 'pure' and that supplies most of kildare /south Dublin afaik- third world stuff at Leixlip.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Nobody is talking about the pressure Mass Immigration is putting on our water system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

Nobody is talking about the pressure Mass Immigration is putting on our water system.

That’s probably because it’s isn’t putting pressure on it.

Until we as a Society we accept that unless we are willing to adequately fund a public water system we will have to accept substandard services

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

That's because the use gravity and pumps to pressurise the system, not stacked up foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It's lexlip just think all that cryptosporidium was once an eyes wide shut shindig

whippet wrote: »
    That’s probably because it’s isn’t putting pressure on it.

Until we as a Society we accept that unless we are willing to adequately fund a public water system we will have to accept substandard services

So a 20% increase in the population over the past 20 years has no effect on the water system ?

I suppose Immigrants must import their water from outside Ireland:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So a 20% increase in the population over the past 20 years has no effect on the water system ?

LOL immigrants really are responsible for everything aren't they :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Produce a single piece of factual evidence to show immigration SPECIFICALLY is causing problems with our water supply and people maybe wont consider you to be a racist troll

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Immigrants! Even when it was the bears putting pressure on our water system I knew it was them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Most of the water treatment infrastructure probably dates from at least 40 years ago when water charges were the norm.

Once abolished in 1977, services and infrastructure likely went downhill and there was no money available to make the huge upgrades required.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Look. This country may be third world in many ways. Fifty percent marginal rate of tax, 23% vat rate etc. but at the end of the day , we have the worlds greatest welfare system. Protecting “ de vulnerable “ sure fcuk the rest of them !

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do the immigrants contribute zero money to the economy?

If , as a percentage, they contribute the same in taxes as the population that was already here, then they are putting no more strain on it than the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Do people realise that the water collected at Leixlip contains very significant quantities of treated sewage discharge from every plant upstream of Leixlip all the way to Ballymore Eustace; one of the largest treatment plants in the country discharges at Osberstown near Naas into the the Liffey and this water is then used again through the plant at Leixslip- this water includes all noxious chemicals the whole of Kildare flushes and washes down their sinks! That's what we're drinking in the Dublin City 2019.

I'm surprised is this hasn't been highlighted before- an accident waiting to happen and I'd say alarms were ignored for many years; we need new proper purpose built reservoir in the midlands for the city- Liffey water with sewage discharge and agricultural run off is a public health scandal ; at least abstracted water upstream of Ballymore Eustace is some way 'pure' and that supplies most of kildare /south Dublin afaik- third world stuff at Leixlip.

Have you ever been to another city in the world and drank their tap water or brushed your teeth and rinsed out your mouth? Have you ever thought where their water comes from?

Our Neighbours in the UK have done this for years!!

Do the immigrants contribute zero money to the economy?

If , as a percentage, they contribute the same in taxes as the population that was already here, then they are putting no more strain on it than the rest of us.

Many of them work in low wage jobs pay little or no tax and that's before we get onto the illegals.

VinLieger wrote: »
    LOL immigrants really are responsible for everything aren't they :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Produce a single piece of factual evidence to show immigration SPECIFICALLY is causing problems with our water supply and people maybe wont consider you to be a racist troll

Its simple supply and demand.

The more people you have the more pressure is put on the system.

Its not rocket science.

I don't blame the Immigrants them selves but the Politicians who are responsible for Mass Immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Many of them work in low wage jobs pay little or no tax and that's before we get onto the illegals.

I know quite a few in well paid jobs or married with kids here.

Your coming at our water supply and sewage problems from the wrong angle completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

That's it. I've had it up to here with these damned culchies coming to Dublin and taking our jobs. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Irish Water were warned about this by the EPA on several occasions, over six months ago. They did nothing to remediate the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

ronaneire wrote: »
    Have you ever been to another city in the world and drank their tap water or brushed your teeth and rinsed out your mouth? Have you ever thought where their water comes from?

Indeed. I remember reading the water in London has been through the system numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

‘ NO WAY, WE WON’T PAY’ was the battle cry of the morons who thought they should get a precious resource sent to them and disposed of for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

And that's the reason we should do it- because the UK does-we don't need to use this type of water- the midlands is currently underwater.

The obvious solution is to use some of our cutaway bog to built a large resevoir capable of alleviating flooding and storing large buffers of water with an associated modern treatment plant,

What's goin into the rivers and heading downstream is undergoing primary/secondary treatment at best and we want to treat that low grade water low down in a river basin using archaic plants- we should be all paying for water and working towards a proper system of water treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So the first response to a discussion about our inadequate water treatment system was to blame d'immigrants.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

‘ NO WAY, WE WON’T PAY’ was the battle cry of the morons who thought they should get a precious resource sent to them and disposed of for nothing.

If you think back, VAT and Road Tax were bith raised by 2% to pay for water,

So we already Are paying for this supposedly Free Resource!!

I thought this was a witty troll, exactly what you'd expect some dope on boards to conceivably write about any topic, but seeing as you continued to double down on it, I'm not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭dubrov

Forget the immigrants, think of all the pets out there putting pressure on the water supply.
    I've even seen some pet dogs drink direct from rivers and lakes before we even get a chance to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

Cina wrote: »
    So the first response to a discussion about our inadequate water treatment system was to blame d'immigrants.

Sigh.

Inexorably increasing population in the areas served by Leixlip will clearly strain service provision. Immigration inevitably plays its part but alongside the fellow contributors of birthrate/internal migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Marcos

The EPA issued a report on the amount of water being used after the Ringsend spillage in July.
    The tone of the EPA statement is worth noting.

The agency said it had "repeatedly highlighted" that Ringsend was failing to meet Irish and EU standards due to capacity problems.

It said: "The plant has a capacity to treat waste water from a population equivalent of 1.64 million. The load entering the plant is from a population equivalent of 2.3 million."

Now this points to either of two things. First that Irish people use so much extra water than those in other countries. Something not shown in statistics, which show the opposite Irish users use approximately 80 litres compared to 121 litres in Germany and 114 litres in Denmark.

Or, there are more people in Dublin than are shown on the official statistics. So where are the extra six hundred thousand coming from? I don't remember the last census saying that the greater Dublin area had a population of 2.3 million. They can't all be tourists surely?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

come on now OP, immigration is 100% positive. nothing negative can be associated with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Annd9

Absolute Nonsense ! The plant in Lexlip had a major revamp less then 10 years ago (I worked on it ) this was a system failure and nothing to do with funding . We won't let the truth get in the way of your story though .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Annd9 wrote: »
    Absolute Nonsense ! The plant in Lexlip had a major revamp less then 10 years ago (I worked on it ) this was a system failure and nothing to do with funding . We won't let the truth get in the way of your story though .....

Wonder is water charges going to be back on the cards. Oh look our infrastructure is ****e.
    More monies please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mine comes straight from mountain springs, piped over 100kms to the city

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement