Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Friendly Fires - The Academy - 4th November

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Yep, and haven't been in the academy for a gig for a long time, very surprised it hasn't sold out, have they been quiet for too long? Small venue, good band, cheap tix, can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yeah looking forward to this. First Chromatics gig last week, now this. I'm in indietronica heaven.

I wonder if it's an idea to start a thread dedicated to indietronica/dream pop/synthwave gigs?

This style of music works great live and a nice break from the usual rock gigs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Caught them at EP last year and they were unreal, when they first came out i wasnt really into that kinda music but after they reformed and watched a few live clips that quickly changed my mind. Lovin the new stuff they have released.

Id say the fact they have played here a few times over the last year or so (Olympia,EP,Metropolis and the Academy)

Looking forward to tonight, seems to be a few tickets available still though, hopefully a decent crowd. Looked like they got a decent turnout last night from twitter anyway. I'm guessing ~8:30 for on-stage tonight if doors are 7?

wow that does look amazing on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Lofidelity

Academy website says 9pm on stage. Is there support?

Thoroughly enjoyed that, 7 piece band in that space is unreal. Lively crowd too. Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭weser777

Arggghhhh..

Totally chancing me arm here, but I don’t suppose anybody has a spare ticket stub for this gig?!

I’m just in the door from the gig, and just realized that misplaced mine. I collect mine from all gigs.

Raging..

....but a super show! Haven’t seen them since 2011 in Vancouver.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Lofidelity

Amazing

Really good, though I noticed a lot of the audience were unfamiliar with the new stuff which was prob the reason Ed had to try to get the crowd up and going and few times. I was glad I wasn't in the upper balcony as hardly anyone up there was moving at all!

Silhouettes was outstanding. I wish they had used the mirror ball throughout as it would have suited that song in particular!

I never realised they had 2.. TWO(!) drummers... plus a bongo player... and two trumpet players. I always thought it was just a 4-piece on the road.

Outstanding value for €25!

The double-pint glasses are also a genius idea, hope to see this at more venues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭beecee

mrcheez wrote: »

The double-pint glasses are also a genius idea, hope to see this at more venues.

Tell me more about these double-pint glasses!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Hokuto

Gutted that I missed them due to illness! Loved their new album, happy that you all had such a great time. I was at their concert the last time in the Olympia and they were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

Really good, though I noticed a lot of the audience were unfamiliar with the new stuff which was prob the reason Ed had to try to get the crowd up and going and few times. I was glad I wasn't in the upper balcony as hardly anyone up there was moving at all!

Silhouettes was outstanding. I wish they had used the mirror ball throughout as it would have suited that song in particular!

I never realised they had 2.. TWO(!) drummers... plus a bongo player... and two trumpet players. I always thought it was just a 4-piece on the road.

Outstanding value for €25!

I found it really strange that no one upstairs was moving, IMO you need to dance to all of their tunes! Love the new album, and they never disappoint live

Robyn_14 wrote: »
    I found it really strange that no one upstairs was moving, IMO you need to dance to all of their tunes! Love the new album, and they never disappoint live

From my vantage point I noticed a guy on the balcony moving for the first time when Jump in the Pool came on, but then resumed his stiff motionless stance after this, so it's possible a load of people came just for the one tune they recognised.

With tickets being only €25 this is entirely possible, and people are willing to just head along to hear the few tunes they know.

As for dancing... well the Irish are a bit more reserved when it comes to dancing I think (the blokes anyway) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

there was plenty of dancing down on the ground floor!

great gig, so much energy and fun. Loved Ed coming into the crowd a few times too.
    beecee wrote: »
    Tell me more about these double-pint glasses!!! :pac:
    they had really big cups, said double pint (although might have just been 1L), great idea as it saved people going to and from the bar. should have them at every gig!

there was plenty of dancing down on the ground floor!

There were a good few alright, but nowhere near the participation of the Manchester audience who just went all out. Damn to be in the middle of that would have been amazing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

There were a good few alright, but nowhere near the participation of the Manchester audience who just went all out. Damn to be in the middle of that would have been amazing :pac:
    Yeah I saw those clips, amazing!

Advertisement