Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun things to do with a toddler, no car..help!

Options
  • 04-11-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Haven't posted in Galway in a while! Moved back last year, and getting to grips with weather and public transport. Living in Oranmore and feeling a little uninspired..would like to find a few things anyone with a toddler has discovered in Galway that's easy to get to, without a car. Have done the museum and aquarium, regular library trips too. Find it frustrating that the transport links are dire! Toddler nearly two. Would love your suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sasal

There's a toddler group in Kidsplace in Briarhill shopping centre on Tuesday 10-12. The 409 is every ten minutes from the Dublin Road up to Briarhill.
    On Wednesday morning there's a toddler group in Renmore, the 404 stops about 5 minutes walk away.

If you use Facebook there's a group called "Galway parents out and about" that might have a few ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,708 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tourist train (which will be turning in to a Santa train shortly).

Merlin Woods, Aunteen and Uncleen Woods - the bus stop near Galway Crystal is close to the entrance to the latter.

Fisheries Tower museum.

The playground in Doughiska - it's about a 10 minute walk up from the bus stop by Roscam. Or if you're using a 24-hour bus ticket you might time it right to cross the road and catch a 2nd bus.

Planet Entertainment on the Headford Rd has a ball pit .. not sure if 2 is old enough yet.

Don't forget to look in other directions, too - there's a regular multi-stop bus to Limerick. Some things I know about:

Dunguaire Castle - easy walk from the bus stop in Kinvara

Gort - has a Farmers Market in the square on Fridays, and some 2 year olds might enjoy stories abou the weigh house that's there.

Athenry castle (a pain cos you may have to catch the bus in to town to get to the train though .. such a shame Oranmore Station isn't more pedestrian friendly - but possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

sasal wrote: »
    There's a toddler group in Kidsplace in Briarhill shopping centre on Tuesday 10-12. The 409 is every ten minutes from the Dublin Road up to Briarhill.
    On Wednesday morning there's a toddler group in Renmore, the 404 stops about 5 minutes walk away.

If you use Facebook there's a group called "Galway parents out and about" that might have a few ideas.

Thanks! Yes, my family are in Ballybrit, logistics to get there without a lift are daft, getting train to town and then the 409 out, or else the 404 into Roscam and then the 409 across? All doable, just takes a bit of planning!

Tourist train (which will be turning in to a Santa train shortly).

Merlin Woods, Aunteen and Uncleen Woods - the bus stop near Galway Crystal is close to the entrance to the latter.

Fisheries Tower museum.

The playground in Doughiska - it's about a 10 minute walk up from the bus stop by Roscam. Or if you're using a 24-hour bus ticket you might time it right to cross the road and catch a 2nd bus.

Planet Entertainment on the Headford Rd has a ball pit .. not sure if 2 is old enough yet.

Don't forget to look in other directions, too - there's a regular multi-stop bus to Limerick. Some things I know about:

Dunguaire Castle - easy walk from the bus stop in Kinvara

Gort - has a Farmers Market in the square on Fridays, and some 2 year olds might enjoy stories abou the weigh house that's there.

Athenry castle (a pain cos you may have to catch the bus in to town to get to the train though .. such a shame Oranmore Station isn't more pedestrian friendly - but possible)

Had forgotten about those woods. Didn't realize there's a bus to kinvara either 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thanks! Yes, my family are in Ballybrit, logistics to get there without a lift are daft, getting train to town and then the 409 out, or else the 404 into Roscam and then the 409 across? All doable, just takes a bit of planning!

Bunratty has a bus stop, you’d kill a full day there if the weather isn’t too bad and you can get nice food at Durty Nellys when you’re waiting for the bus back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

There is a parent and toddler group in marree community centre on Monday 10-12 and in the maldron hotel on Thursday from 10-12

Had forgotten about those woods. Didn't realize there's a bus to kinvara either 😂

Actually ... its the 350 to Kinvara (was thinking 51 before). It goes a few other interesting places too, which are probably best in summer though. The beach in Lahinch is fantastic on a good day, but might be a bit too much of a trip for a 2 year old.

There is a parent and toddler group in marree community centre on Monday 10-12 and in the maldron hotel on Thursday from 10-12

Thanks, yes the maldron one is walking distance, maree way to far for us!

Actually ... its the 350 to Kinvara (was thinking 51 before). It goes a few other interesting places too, which are probably best in summer though. The beach in Lahinch is fantastic on a good day, but might be a bit too much of a trip for a 2 year old.
    Must explore this. Would be great if it stopped in Oran as opposed to having to go into town to go back out again if ya get me? Toddlers and public transport have a limited love cycle 😂ðŸ‘

Edit- it does! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭milout

Must explore this. Would be great if it stopped in Oran as opposed to having to go into town to go back out again if ya get me? Toddlers and public transport have a limited love cycle 😂ðŸ‘

Edit- it does! Cheers!

If you are getting the bus out to Kinvara then the Burren Nature Sanctuary is a manageable walk in good weather. It has indoor and outdoor play areas plus animals for the little ones to feed and pet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Renville is a nice walk and park with playground near oranmore

youngrun wrote: »
    Renville is a nice walk and park with playground near oranmore

Thanks but that's the stuff that's actually the harder to do...it's a 5km walk just to get there and no public transport links...im finding In Galway there's lots to do but unless you have access to a car it's almost impossible to get there, like pet farms, some woods, the pumpkin farm for example...

Great suggestions in this thread tho!

milout wrote: »
    If you are getting the bus out to Kinvara then the Burren Nature Sanctuary is a manageable walk in good weather. It has indoor and outdoor play areas plus animals for the little ones to feed and pet.

Really like this. About a half hour walk from the bus stop either way but doable on a nice day 😊

Thanks but that's the stuff that's actually the harder to do...it's a 5km walk just to get there and no public transport links...im finding In Galway there's lots to do but unless you have access to a car it's almost impossible to get there, like pet farms, some woods, the pumpkin farm for example...

Great suggestions in this thread tho!

Agreed. Not just Galway, much of the country is like that.

If you have a license and your own car seat, sign up with GoCar to use occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm surprised no one suggested that since you told us in the thread title that the toddler doesn't have a car that maybe you could ask santa to get them a car
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/gift-finder-18-36-months/little-tikes-cozy-coupe-car/p/102538
    :p
    Just kidding. Not sure about the age limit but there's a soft play area in the Galway shopping centre on the town side close to the tyre centre.

Agreed. Not just Galway, much of the country is like that.

If you have a license and your own car seat, sign up with GoCar to use occasionally.
    I am, and am hoping they'll have base in Oranmore soon too. I did use it in Dublin and there was a lot more public transport options and activities that didn't require a drive, but yes it's an issue not isolated to Galway!

flazio wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one suggested that since you told us in the thread title that the toddler doesn't have a car that maybe you could ask santa to get them a car
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/gift-finder-18-36-months/little-tikes-cozy-coupe-car/p/102538
    :p
    Just kidding. Not sure about the age limit but there's a soft play area in the Galway shopping centre on the town side close to the tyre centre.

Genius!! ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Hi everyone. Haven't posted in Galway in a while! Moved back last year, and getting to grips with weather and public transport. Living in Oranmore and feeling a little uninspired..would like to find a few things anyone with a toddler has discovered in Galway that's easy to get to, without a car. Have done the museum and aquarium, regular library trips too. Find it frustrating that the transport links are dire! Toddler nearly two. Would love your suggestions.

Is cycling an option? Will still limit ya, but will widen the distance radius of possible destinations compared with a buggy.
    I use the following the odd time with a 16month old. https://bobike.com/en/product/cat/frontseats/

Is cycling an option? Will still limit ya, but will widen the distance radius of possible destinations compared with a buggy.
    I use the following the odd time with a 16month old. https://bobike.com/en/product/cat/frontseats/

It can be, once we get our bikes...in storage at the mo. And obv weather dependent but yes, it's hopefully something we will get doing!

Do you attend the toddler group in the community centre?
    Others are available at different times in different places.

• Advertisement

Do you attend the toddler group in the community centre?
    Others are available at different times in different places.

Yup, sorry I should have clarified really in the first post, its more looking for fun stuff to do that's not what we might already do (playgroup, library song times, Museum, aquarium, cinema, soft play areas etc). Am plugged into that stuff but would love (and have got some great suggestions here!) Some stuff that's pretty easy to get to from Oranmore with no car that maybe I didn't know about 😊 we spend enough time on buses as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,102 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Must explore this. Would be great if it stopped in Oran as opposed to having to go into town to go back out again if ya get me? Toddlers and public transport have a limited love cycle ��ðŸ‘

Edit- it does! Cheers!

350 timetable:

https://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/350-1516876337.pdf

Advertisement