Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

900 euro for service + timing belt on Duster?

Options
  • 04-11-2019 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi.

Just back from a call with Dacia Duster Galway dealer who quoted me 904 Euro for service and timing belt replacement. He says this is including a big discount since I'm doing both things together.

Seems ridiculously expensive to me.
    What do you think?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the duster still on warranty, also how much of that cost is the timing belt/water pump?
    Is it getting other major service items/work too?

Seems very much on the expensive side

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Take it somewhere else?

Example:
    https://www.jjburkecarsales.com/web/renault-service-offers/

JJ Burkes in Mayo doing 1.5 dci timing belt for €399

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

shayleon wrote: »
    Hi.

Just back from a call with Dacia Duster Galway dealer who quoted me 904 Euro for service and timing belt replacement. He says this is including a big discount since I'm doing both things together.

Seems ridiculously expensive to me.
    What do you think?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks.

It depends what is needed for the service, if its just a timing belt and water pump then yeh, that's a rip off. If the service quoted also includes brake pads and disks for front and rear, oil change & filter, air filter, pollen filter, wipers, spark plugs and tyres then maybe its about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Also, there is plenty of garages that will do all of what i mentioned above regardless if it needs done of not, just to get the extra money in. Have a look at the things i mentioned and see if they need done, if you know how too.

• Advertisement

If they’re putting spark plugs in then they’re definitely up to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Jesus you only want a service not a new Dacia :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

That's fairly expensive for a service I would think anything €300 or less is enough!? How do you find the duster in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Example:
    https://www.jjburkecarsales.com/web/renault-service-offers/

JJ Burkes in Mayo doing 1.5 dci timing belt for €399

Surprised at that. The 1.5 is a very labour intensive job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Doesn't include water pump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That's been the price for a long while all over. The mother got her megane done for that a couple of years back. Think that was in Joe Norris in Meath.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Doesn't include water pump

Genuine water pump is only around €50 as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Labour hourly rate must be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Was this price from the dealer operating out of the old Jag premises?
    Might have confused the duster for an xj

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

Thank you for all the replies. As Colm mentioned, I just got a quote by email for the timing belt from JJBurke for 399! :)
    Big difference! (Windsor wanted over 600 for the belt alone!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

For that price it might be cheaper to trade up to a new duster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Do places still change belts but not water pumps??

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is the duster still on warranty, also how much of that cost is the timing belt/water pump?
    Is it getting other major service items/work too?

Seems very much on the expensive side

Standard service. Timing belt around 600 Euro

Fracture wrote: »
    It depends what is needed for the service, if its just a timing belt and water pump then yeh, that's a rip off. If the service quoted also includes brake pads and disks for front and rear, oil change & filter, air filter, pollen filter, wipers, spark plugs and tyres then maybe its about right.

no tires, no water pump, no break pads, no disks, AFAIK no pollen filter, definitely no wipers. Only oil change and filters. Timing belt alone over 600.

starlit wrote: »
    That's fairly expensive for a service I would think anything €300 or less is enough!? How do you find the duster in general?

Overall great car. Bought it with 55K KM and only after 70K had a little problem.
    Only thing that can be improved is the sit. It feels a bit like sitting in a jeep.
    Quite economic, good acceleration. Great value for money. (except for replacing timing belt at the Galway dealer obviously)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

(Staying the obvious here) Main dealers are always a total rip off for major service items like these

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

road_high wrote: »
    (Staying the obvious here) Main dealers are always a total rip off for major service items like these

To be fair timing belt and water pump for VW under fixed price arent too bad with the fixed price. At certain times of the year they are on offer cheaper again.

Then they will have a courtesy car too which a lot of indies wont have .

That said overall they are expansive .

I got a quote from a main dealer over the phone for front discs and pads fitted to a B8 A4 of 470 which i declined.

I ended up buying the discs and pads off them for 185 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Buy the parts required for service and timing belt and water pump yourself .
    Find a good independent car mechanic in your area .
    I do this all the time with my Mercedes eclass .
    Mechanic is top notch and charges me a good rate as a bring the car to him regularly ( I'm a TAXIDRIVER in galway ).
    It's all about you doing the necessary research to find a good mechanic in your area .
    Ask a few taxi drivers in your area and see does the same name crop up .

well, difference between the Galway dealer and the Mayo one was 200 euro. I think the Mayo price of 399 for the timing belt is not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

well, difference between the Galway dealer and the Mayo one was 200 euro. I think the Mayo price of 399 for the timing belt is not that bad.

Is the Mayo one a Renault Dacia main dealer? Not too bad so- pays to shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is the Mayo one a Renault Dacia main dealer? Not too bad so- pays to shop around

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Only thing that can be improved is the sit. It feels a bit like sitting in a jeep.

Is that not what it's supposed to feel like?

Effects wrote: »
    Is that not what it's supposed to feel like?

I don't know what I'm supposed to feel like. In my Ford Focus I felt like a "King" and I prefer it to a Jeep feel.

I don't know what I'm supposed to feel like. In my Ford Focus I felt like a "King" and I prefer it to a Jeep feel.

The king of dog ****e?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You're probably rolling around in the Duster, with a higher centre of gravity.
    Glad to hear you feel like a King in the Focus, you must be happy with it.

Advertisement