Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving on up ...

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Best of luck tomorrow:D
    denis b wrote: »
    Have a great run tomorrow. All those hill miles will certainly stand to you as the run progresses.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    All the best!

Thank you all, it went quite well, paced myself well and felt strong throughout - result was 1:49:07 which is a marginal PB. Might have preferred a minute or two less but was a positive race and the sub-4 is still the goal. Denis, you have a point, I think I had some extra strength there for this HM.

Report to follow when I get a bit of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thank you all, it went quite well, paced myself well and felt strong throughout - result was 1:49:07 which is a marginal PB. Might have preferred a minute or two less but was a positive race and the sub-4 is still the goal. Denis, you have a point, I think I had some extra strength there for this HM.

Report to follow when I get a bit of time.

A PB is a PB ;) well done!

First the month totals for July and August - had not bothered putting it up after July but August was excellent, highest ever month total (by a way). Not looking so good for September at this point, however there was a good HM raced earlier in the month.

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016|2017|2018|2019
    January|55|85|70|49|29|55| 145
    February|69|9|96|30|44|76| 138
    March|53|57|134|61|98|106| 136
    April|85|61|85|40|118|55| 92
    May|65|71|145|26|116|48| 118
    June|51|43|89|7|0|93|156
    July|25|99 |79|76|7|127|128
    August|84|120|26.5|97|15|107|176
    September|18|131|0|85|47|116|
    October|83|0|15|95|49|114|
    November|78|3|62.5|103|2|130|
    December|53|56|86|111|29|131|
    Total|719|735|888|780|554|1158|1089

3th- 8th September: DCM week -8

the plan: 35miles with HM race
    Aim of course being to keep things really easy in advance of the race. Week starting on Tuesday due to Monday having been 'donated' to week -9 as happens sometimes ;)

Tuesday: nothing
    The plan will have been to head out Tuesday no doubt.

Wednesday: 7miles easy, 10:45 avg pace
    In the evening, mostly trails.

Thursday: 5miles with 5 strides in last mile, avg pace 10:11
    Neighbourhood loops done easy, then the last mile faster (obviously) because of the strides. This was done at 7pm when there were plenty of people round, some guys stepped back on the path on my 1st and 2nd stride and watched me go past and commented among themselves (think it was positive, but they were speaking in another language so can't be sure).

Friday: resting the legs

Saturday: Ayr half-marathon (1:49:07)
    I had travelled to the West Coast of Scotland to do this one, 1.5hours on the train on a lovely sunny afternoon. Race start not till 5pm, perfect for me.
    We started off in the sunshine on the promenade in Ayr, a lovely sunny evening but not too hot (around 15C), hardly any wind. I had checked my bag and just had some jelly babies in my shorts, but never even took them out until after the race. The legs were feeling light and the body rested. Plan was to start around 8:30 pace or even slower and then see if it was feasible to continue to 8:15 for most of the race … or even a bit quicker. PB from 5years back (and maybe from March this year as well, if I can be sure about that route) is 1:49:30 or so, was hoping to be a minute or two under that, but wanted to feel things out.
    mile 1 (8:09): Few blocks round the top of the promenade, I was doing a comfortable pace, waited a while to check the watch, it was 8:35 or so. Made sure to keep it easy, looked again - faster ... try to back off a small bit, look again ... faster. Then a little bump before the end of this mile - despite that overall pace was 8:09. I had broken my pace rule but I was feeling absolutely comfortable.
    mile 2, 7:59: Same kind of thing again, it was strange (but good) to look down part-way through and see the watch well-below 8mins and feeling really comfortable. Vindication of the run-slow-to-get-faster thing, had a little smile to myself.
    mile 3, 8:26: The looping ended and we headed out through town to head south, it was not as easy as the initial miles (looking now I can see a little bit of ascent on the profile) and I was wondering whether I’d overdone it. Maybe I’d been too casual about the heat (yes, it was only 15C ;)) and was going to pay the price...
    mile 4, 8:08: A bit slow at the start of this mile. After a while we turned off the main road into a housing estate and I started picking the pace up a bit. There were two friends running together alongside me, just before 4miles one of them dropped back and told her friend to continue alone. I kept my eye on the faster friend in black singlet and shorts, was hoping to use her as a marker as we continued.
    mile 5, 8:20: Back on the main road, again losing a bit of time in the first half of this, the girl in the black outfit was getting further away, tried to pick it up after that and the overall pace not too bad. I was doing some calculations and knew this was still ok, but was worried if I could keep it up.
    mile 6: 8:45: Turned left just as this mile started and there was an uphill drag and I backed off a bit. Knew I was losing time and it was confirmed when I glanced down at the watch after a few minutes and saw 9:xx, I was very disappointed.... About halfway through the mile it levelled out a bit and I was able to push a bit more so in the end the mile was not as dreadful as it might have been.
    mile 7: 8:17 "the one where I start passing people":
    We went into a park early in this mile, a short little section on trail. Somehow I had caught up to the woman in the black outfit and I passed her before we turned back onto tarmac. There was another runner just ahead of me at this point, it took a while to catch up with him but I did, passed him too :). We were continuing up a stretch of road and I could see about 5 runners ahead, one in a luminous yellow shirt, and just ahead of him three guys running together ahead of him, one in a Newton runners shirt. Took me a good while to work my way to the guy in luminous yellow, he ran alongside me for a while, then dropped off. Soon after I came past the three runners together, they dropped immediately, then one of them caught back up.
    mile 8: 8:27: Twisty little turn here and was briefly caught by one of the three, but I dropped him again early in this mile. Then we were going up another drag (and pace slowing), I could see a girl in pink T-shirt with a trail backback ahead. A slower mile pace because of the bit of ascent. I was getting a bit confused by the variability in pace, so I had decided that I’d hold it steady and only push in the final 3 miles.
    mile 9: 8:17: Had been seeing the trail runner in pink ahead for ages now, but I caught her at the top of a drag at the start of this mile. “Well done” as I went past, the only person who commented as I passed them. Bits of downhill in the mile as I continued and a nicer pace.
    mile 10: 8:48: Now the biggest drag of the race, it went on for quite a while and it was depressing looking ahead at it. Passed a couple near the start of the drag, but they were walking, doesn’t even count. I was following a guy in a EMF T-shirt most of the way up the drag, was not expecting to catch him but I did eventually, overtook him just before the top. We had a 360 degree turn here at 9.7 and I was able to pick up a bit of pace for the rest of the mile, passed a guy in a red T-shirt here, he didn’t speak but he turned a with a surprised look as I went past. Was thinking that with just three miles to go we must be due a bit of descent for the last few miles. At least I was hoping ...
    mile 11: 8:06: A lovely welcome mostly-downhill mile, we were now on some cycle-paths with fields either side. I was happy to pick the pace up a bit and I passed a couple of runners here, then later passed a shirtless runner on a mini-climb near the end of the mile. We were coming towards the coast now and there was a ruined tower and nice cropped fields shining yellow under the sun. I was just about good enough to admire it :).
    mile 12: 8:02: Mini-downhill at the start of this mile, I glanced down early on and the watch was showing 7:xx, nice to see that in the late stages of the race. The rest of the mile was mostly flat, we were getting closer to the sea now and I passed a couple of people here, one girl in a pink Triathlon shirt.
    mile 13: 8:08: We were coming up to the promenade now and I was pushing a bit but still feeling strong. Some spectators cheering here in the lovely local accent. I was still passing people, I took 5 runners in this last mile. Towards the end I was chasing down another woman in a black outfit but she seemed strong and I was mainly using her to pull me along.
    “bit”: 7:57 pace: She put in an extra spurt at the end and got away from me but I kept going and was happy to finish with 1:49:07 on the watch ... and the “net time” on the website exactly the same.

Should put in a disclaimer here that the total ascent was under 400ft, despite the drags and bumps and hills mentioned above :rolleyes:

A marginal PB, but a a good experience - I was working but I was also in control, even to the end. I passed about 20-25 runners in the second half, not a single one passed me :). Was not tired that night or the day after, and apart from slightly tight calves, no after effects. Was describing all this to someone last week, and he thought I went out too slow, but I don't think I would have been much faster, just more miserable. Think the feeling good after was strength from marathon training rather than unused speed.

Sunday: 7.9miles easy @10:53 avg pace
    Legs and body were feeling fine, and I had miles to make up, so did this in the evening.

weekly total: 33.3miles
    Little bit off the planned mileage but had managed to finish the week on Sunday for once!

9th-15th September: DCM week -7

the plan: 38miles with 15mile LSR
    I was feeling really good after the HM, so hopeful to get all these miles done; however, also dealing with horrible backlog at work ...

Monday: nothing as planned
    Though I probably went to Yoga at lunchtime I think. Not sure now.

Tuesday: 7miles @10:43 avg pace
    Evening run round Holyrood Park and surroundings (as usual!)

Wednesday: nothing
    Likely stuck in the office till late, I would expect anyway

Thursday: 8miles @10:52 avg pace
    Another evening run, Holyrood Park and a loop through the interior as well, was fairly hilly and at least 5miles on grass/trail. I had gone out a bit later than planned and the sun was going down in the final miles, had a tricky section on lumpy trails in the last mile ... and should not really have done it. Will need to take the headtorch for these expeditions in future.

Friday, Saturday: nothing
    Frazzled with work.

Sunday: hilly 16miles @10:47 avg pace
    Still up to my eyes in undone work but set aside time for this, and left in sufficient time to avoid the darkness (mostly!). Mostly in Holyrood park, loops and little 'interior loops', happy to get it done. Think all limbs were still feeling good but can't remember for sure.

weekly total: 31.1.miles
    So 7miles off the plan. I hoped to do it the day after (foolish me)

16th-22th September: DCM week -6

the plan: 47miles with 10w8MP, run with 2fartlek miles, 19mile LSR
    Though I could *never* have believed I'd fall so short....

Monday: nothing
    (though this originally was planned to be the catch-up day for last week). Worked late, no run done.

Tuesday, Wednesday: nothing
    Up early Tuesday for work travel (no glamour here, midlands of England my destination ;) ). Was still a bit destroyed after the previous days and had the sense not to bother packing my trainers. Had planned to run when I got back to Edinburgh on Wednesday evening but wasn't feeling 100%, had eaten something I think, so left it.
    One of my colleagues at the meeting is a great runner and we had a good discussion about our training (as usual!), he had done a HM the same w/e as me but about 28mins faster ....

Thursday: nothing
    Trying to catch up with the work backlog.

Friday: 1mile w/u, 4miles MP, 1mile c/d
    Did this after work. I can't remember for sure why it was only 4MP (after all the plan had been 8MP this week), I suspect probably general f-ed off-ness and letting myself off the hook. Have no memory of niggles but can't be sure.

Saturday, Sunday: nothing
    Catching up on sleep, relaxing. The Sunday laziness was particularly bad as I was back to action by then, but it was that thing of the week ruined anyway.

weekly total: 6miles
    Could nearly cry reading that now. It was done in that sense of 'feck it' and it was only one week (extra, there had been one back in July too), and I would get stuck-in again to proper training this week ... except now I have a bit of plantar fasciitis interfering with plans. Particularly annoyed about the missed weekend runs as I might have noticed the trouble a few days earlier if I'd gone out.
    Will see how the weekend (and next week) goes before writing off DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

How are you treating the planter? I've had what I thought was it, maybe it wasn't, I don't know, but definitely felt rolling a tennis ball on my foot helped.

Today's 8 miles seemed to go ok?

As for a "lost" week, it's nothing in the 18 week block of training, if all is ok with the planter, don't chase any miles and write it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

The half marathon race report was excellent ! Well done on the result you looked strong - those hills are going to stand to you ! Hopefully the plantar will resolve itself and it was only a minor blip.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    The half marathon race report was excellent ! Well done on the result you looked strong - those hills are going to stand to you ! Hopefully the plantar will resolve itself and it was only a minor blip.

Thanks - I had made notes a day or two after the race, was not recalling all the Tshirts etc 3weeks later. Will play it by ear on the PF and we'll see.
    Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    How are you treating the planter? I've had what I thought was it, maybe it wasn't, I don't know, but definitely felt rolling a tennis ball on my foot helped.

The thing that seems to have had the best effect is the "plantar stretch" the physio gave, the one in this link, holding about 30secs.
    https://www.upstep.com/en/stretching-plantar-fascia.html

I have done some foot rolling on a hockey ball (*oooowwww*) and bits of self-massage too
    Today's 8 miles seemed to go ok?

As for a "lost" week, it's nothing in the 18 week block of training, if all is ok with the planter, don't chase any miles and write it off.

No I won't chase the miles, I have a bit more sense with these things these days. Today's run was mostly good, had a bit of heel soreness but it eased out after the first couple of miles and continued to improve through the run. That was different to what happened earlier this week (getting worse as I continued) so maybe a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Really enjoyed that report and a great credit to all your work. No doubt you have remembered that too and I have never got through an 18 week block without a stumble of a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Super run there M. Fantastic to get a PB here again and put any doubt over the March PB well & truly to bed! Hopefully the foot issue will resolve itself and you'll get going again for the final push! You've a super training block behind you now, every reason to be very confident for D-Day.

• Advertisement

Going to skate through the final weeks of DCM training, short story is that very little was done.

23rd-29th September: DCM week -5

plan: 49miles to include 19mile LSR, 11miles w9MP

Had let the running fall by the wayside the previous week, now was trying to get some real training in. Was aiming to get the 11miles w 9@MP early in the week.

Tuesday: 1mile w/u, 3miles MP, 0.5miles c/d
    Went out to do this in the evening, was raining a bit, as the run continued the rain got heavier. Managed to do 3MP at 8:56, 8:57, 9:00, at that point the problem was not the torrential rain but a more pressing matter, ran straight back to base in a panic.
    Think I did notice some heel soreness on this run, but took no notice as it was mild.

Wednesday: 1mile w/u, 4miles MP, 1mile c/d
    Second attempt for the MP session (9:02, 9:03, 8:58, 9:03), this time it was the sore heel that cut things short and after this I knew I had a problem. Doing a bit of Googling seemed like plantar fasciitis.

Have had a problem with my right shoulder for a few months now and had finally booked a physio appointment (my first in 18months), at the end of the session I got her to take a look at the heel and yes, plantar fasciitis, she suggested some stretches and rolling on a ball. She didn't say I needed to stop running, though I hadn't asked, I was out the door before I realised maybe I should have asked :rolleyes: and then I kind of tactically decided not to go back and raise the question.

Saturday: 16miles cycling
    Didn't have a lot of time, just 16miles on the bike.

Sunday: 8miles easy @9:50 avg pace
    The heel was feeling good for walking so I decided to try a slightly longer run. Very much trying to take advantage of PF being something that you can 'manage' and still run, and desperate to get some miles in. Did this on a flatter route that usual to play it safe.
    Had just a bit of slight discomfort during the run, but was again a bit sore the next day.

weekly total: 18.5miles with 8mile 'L'SR, 16miles cycling

30th-6th October: DCM week -4

plan: 49miles with 19mile LSR, 11miles w 9MP, run with 2fartlek miles

Heel still continuing to give trouble, got some advice on icing from one of the people in work after he saw me doing my stretches. He damaged his fascia ceili-dancing some time back and it took him months to rehab it.

Tuesday: 6miles easy @10:43 easy
    Heel fairly good on this one.

Wednesday: 1mile w/u, 6miles MP, 1mile c/d
    Still trying to chase down the plan and maybe not being as sensible as I should with the running. Was hoping to get in 9MP but was feeling the heel a bit sore, so cut it short. Noticed the fitness seemed to have dropped a bit today, and the MP miles were a bit slow at 9:08, 9:03, 9:06, 9:11, 9:04, 9:02.

Friday: 8.3miles mixed-terrain run @10:42 avg

Saturday: 4.8miles easy @10-ish avg pace
    I was needing to get back to the flat to watch Ciara Mageean in the 1500m and did a bit less than the 5miles.

weekly total: 27miles with 8mile 'L'SR
    Actually better than I thought, though way off the plan. I know I had planned to do a 'proper long run' on the Sunday and I'm not sure why it got dropped but I suspect it was a mix of the heel being delicate and the weather rubbish. Work was very busy these weeks so I suppose it could have been that - also the work schedule definitely affecting stretching/icing etc, think things might have rehabbed more promptly if I'd spent more time on that.

7th-13th October: DCM week -3

plan: 38miles with 14mile LSR, 8miles w6MP

Of course I was no longer working to the original plan. I was to be away at the weekend on a hiking weekend and hoping my foot would be ok for that. But *also* intending to get in a proper-long-run midweek sometime, it would be my last chance. And hoping to do the MP session too.

Monday: 1mile w/u, 5miles MP, 1.5miles c/d
    In the evening from the office, MP miles as 9:10, 9:00, 8:49, 8:55, 8:59.

Wednesday: 6.7miles easy @10:45 avg pace
    Playing it by ear and there is still heel discomfort to deal with.

Thursday: 90mins spin
    Had a last vestige of hope I could go out and do a proper long run this afternoon. But the heel was still niggling and even if it stood up to a LSR, would I be able to hike at the weekend after doing that, hmmm ...
    Had an outbreak of common sense and realised that the chance of DCM was small, and anyway my best chance would be to back off the running and do a bit of cross-training instead. Went to the gym and did 1hr 30 on the bike instead of a run.

Saturday: 8mile hike
    Staying in Gairloch on the NW coast of Scotland. Had been pretty impressed with the foot the previous evening and was getting some good stretching in. Tried a short-enough low-level hike which took ages because of a stony path and lots of muck, however the foot held up very well.

Sunday: 10mile hike with 3750ft ascent
    A proper hike today doing the two western summits of Beinn Eighe. Perfect conditions and good-though-not-perfect behaviour from the foot (but it was having to do ascent which it didn't have the previous day). Was a long day and I was telling myself it would be great 'time-on-feet' training for the marathon even if not running :pac:. More stretching that evening.
    https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/Beinneighe.shtml

weekly total: 14.2miles, 90mins spin, two day hikes
    Not a lot of running, but plenty was done. Also finished the week with the foot feeling better than it had been.

And the final two pre-DCM weeks....

14th-20th October: DCM week -2

plan: 30miles with 8mile LSR and 5miles w3MP

Somehow the foot was not quite as good through this week as it had seemed on the mountains the previous weekend. Looking back I think it was possibly lack of attention to stretching and icing, I was doing a bit but not enough.

Wednesday: 5.1miles easy @10:30 avg pace
    Had taken two days off post-hiking but despite that the foot was a bit sore on this run. So not feeling optimistic.

Saturday: 1mile w/u, 5miles MP, 1mile c/d
    Foot had improved a bit after another two days rest, and it behaved well throughout. I was feeling more optimistic after this run. Had lost a bit of fitness though, did the MP in 9:02, 8:55, 8:54, 8:54, 9:03 but it was a bit of an effort.

weekly total: 12.1miles
    Had been intending to go out and do another run on the Sunday, something like 10miles to see how the foot/fitness would held up. Left it till late afternoon and was on the Skype to my sister and she suggested it might be best to just run as little as possible to give the foot the best chance. So I changed back out of my running gear and left it, was cold outside and it was not too hard to take the advice :rolleyes:

21st-28th October: DCM week -1

plan: 40miles to include DCM

Still playing it by ear and unsure whether I would make the start line. Went out again on Tuesday for *another* of these short MP runs (not sure why I was doing so many of these in the final weeks, I think I was trying to make the reduced miles count)

Tuesday: 1mile w/u, 3mile MP, 1mile c/d
    MP miles were 9:06, 8:58. 9:01 and it felt like work. All the same the foot was good, the best it had been since the PF started 4-5 weeks back.

Again the week ran away with me and as it got closer to the w/e I decided to just stay off the foot till Sunday. Was doing bits of stretching, massage, icing to help. Had no idea whether my foot would hold up to some real distance but was going to give it a try, so went off to the Expo to get my bib.

Report to follow when I get more time.

*spoiler* in case anyone is on the edge of their seat: I made the startline but not the finish, only did 20miles. Not a miserable tortured bailing but more a strategic one (at 20miles) and I might have set the PF back a bit but only the slightest bit. The marathon has yet to be ticked - am looking at Manchester (or Tralee??) as a possibility but not sure yet, will depend on the next month or two.

Here's a table of my plan .... and the reality with the bad weeks in bold. Had been a little bit of upset in the first half but I felt very strong for the HM at week -7 ... the damage was truly done in the final 6weeks. There wasn't nothing done in those last weeks though, was surprised how much the fitness had dropped and how hard I found the 1st half of DCM even though I ran it a full 20mins slower than the HM 7weeks before....

week|date|plan||actual|cross
    -18| 24-30 June | 36miles (11LSR) || 36miles (13LSR) |cycling (30miles)
    -17 | 1-7 July | 45miles (15LSR) || 36miles (15LSR) |
    -16 | 8-14 July | 30miles (10LSR) || 29miles (10LSR) | 3hikes (27miles)
    -15 | 15-21 July | 45miles (16LSR) || 1mile | 1hike (6miles)
    -14 | 22-28 July | 45miles (16LSR) || 46miles (16LSR) |
    -13 | 29-4 Aug | 35miles (11LSR) || 40miles (11LSR) |
    -12 | 5-12 Aug | 46miles (16LSR) || 45miles (16LSR) |
    -11 | 13-19 Aug | 46miles (18LSR) || 47miles (18LSR) |
    -10 | 20-25 Aug | 35miles (13LSR) || 21miles (13LSR) |
    -9 | 26-1 Sep | 47miles (18LSR) || 48miles (18LSR) |
    -8 | 2- 8 Sep | 35miles (HM race) || 38miles (HM race) |
    -7 | 9-15 Sep | 38miles (15LSR) || 31miles (16LSR) |
    -6 | 16-22 Sep | 47miles (19LSR) || 6miles |
    -5 | 23-29 Sep | 49miles (19LSR) || 19miles(8LSR) | cycling (17miles)
    -4 | 30-6 Oct | 49miles (19LSR) || 27miles (8LSR) |
    -3 | 7-13 Oct | 38miles (14LSR) || 14miles (7.5LSR) | 2hikes (18miles), 1spin
    -2 | 14-20 Oct | 30miles (8LSR) || 12miles (7LSR) |
    -1 | 21-27 Oct | 14miles+DCM || 5miles + DCM |

Ok the report.

I had been on and off on whether to run or not, but the foot had been decent throughout the week, and I had done a bit of icing and stretching as the weekend approached. And I'd been checking the weather forecast, looked great. Late to bed on Friday and I had to be up at 5:30am to get organised for my flight, so only about 5hours sleep that night. I had a busy Saturday in Dublin, trip up to Drogheda first and then to the Expo to pick up my bib and buy a few gels. But got an early night on Saturday and 8 and a half hours sleep :).

Sunday 27th: Dublin City three-quarters marathon (20.4miles @9:55 avg pace)

My brother was coming across town to pick up my Dad for a trip West and he was due to arrive at 8am. I was going to get him to take a tiny detour and drive me down the canal first. But by 8:30 there was no sign and I was aiming for a 9:25am start (my bib was Wave 2 but even before the PF I had planned to run with Wave 3), so I left the house and started walking, trying to catch a taxi as I went ... no luck. It was only 2miles down to the start I thought so was just strolling until I got a bit past Charlemont and saw the '20mins to start' signs. *Yikes*. Was hoping that was exaggeration (it wasn't really) but picked up my pace and started marching down the canal .. past Baggot St ... turn left .. then so so many Wave 4 bibs coming past as they made their way from the Baggage to their queuing spot. Looking unlikely now I would make Wave 3 even. Marched my way to my bag drop (of course it was towards the far end of F square) and had to sit down on the road and take my trainers off before I could shed my tracksuit bottoms. I was panicking but the woman was very nice, even asked me could she get my gels out of the bag though that detail had been sorted already. Another march back the way I'd came, I really was one of the final stragglers - a final straggler for wave 4 by now - and I arrived back to the canalside; the only advantage of being so far back was that the toilet cubicles had no queues and I was able to just jump in quickly. Big relief as I had been needing a wee for about 30mins and thought I wouldn't get the chance. Back out and I started walking with the others to the start, trying to pass as many people as I could, and I arrived up at the top of the startline just a few minutes before 9:45. I was just to the side of the sub- 4:30 pacers and my plan was to stay ahead of them so I wouldn't have any congestion issues. Lovely atmosphere and perfect weather :).

miles 1-7: I'd been keeping a close eye on the sub-4hr thread in the early and middle stages of marathon training and eyrie had mentioned her success in 2018 had been helped by a slow start ... like 10mpm instead of 9mpm. She'd done a brilliant first marathon so I was aiming to copy her strategy. This was still the plan but I had not really done any revision of my marathon target, partly because I was not sure how long the foot would hold up (had not gone over 8miles in the previous 6weeks), and partly because I was mad enough to think that maybe I could still get under sub-4hr. I'm not kidding - I was thinking that I have good endurance (I do) and that I had all those miles from spring and summer in my legs ... and I hadn't done *nothing* in those 6weeks, maybe I hadn't really lost much fitness :pac:.
    So I was aiming for 10mpm for these 7miles though in practice I went a bit faster in the first two miles, the atmosphere and the slight downhill pulled me along. Could feel the heel/arch of the foot but it was not troublesome and it warmed up over these couple of miles and became even more quiet, most of the race I was not noticing it at all. I was feeling the effort a bit though, this was not 'comfortable' and I pulled back a bit in mile 3 as we met a bit of a drag. Then into the PP with everything looking lovely in the sun, this was nice, though I was aware I was working at this supposedly easier pace, and making revisions in my head regarding what I should now be aiming for. Not necessarily sensible revisions either, I was thinking 4:05-4:10 at this stage which was not much of an accommodation, but I am just like that, always thinking optimistically. We came out of the PP into Castleknock and hit a wave of crowd support, that was great. I gave a couple of kids a high 5. There had been a band around this point too, really excellent. 9:40, 9:42, 10:16, 9:55, 10:00, 9:52, 10:02

miles 8-13: The crowd support was continuing and I knew that this stretch of miles would be downhill more-or-less, I was going to take advantage but not too much. The original plan had been 9mpm here but I was going to definitely go slower than that, was thinking of 9:30 or so instead now, but was going to play by ear. I was due to take my first gel at 8miles but forgot about it, remembered again after we went into the Park again and took it at the 8.5mile point or so. Went down easy. I took a bottle of water from the side a bit after this and drank it. The miles were coming in a bit faster with the effect of the slight downhills, but got a surprise when we hit the drag in mile 11 - was not expecting that! In fact it was fairly significant. Pace dropped a bit but not too much. I was looking forward to the Halfway point and was enjoying the crowds - I was running at the side of the road and my first name is short so people could read it on the Bib and I was getting some individualised support. I took a second gel around 12.5miles and then some jellies from the side :). Another band somewhere here and it lifted my spirits. Got to the HM point at 2hr 9mins and 30secs or so on the watch .... that was 20mins slower than the HM I raced 7weeks before, and to be honest I felt roughly the same now, I had worked hard. Was not looking forward to another 13miles and it looked like the foot was not giving me an excuse :rolleyes:. 9:19, 9:30, 9:17, 9:58, 9:49, 10:03

miles 14-20: We left the halfway point and started up a drag and this was tough and my pace dropped a bit. I was trying to motivate myself and fortunately I had a friend who would be waiting at the KCR after the 16mile point (a few other family/friends had dropped off support duties due to other commitments and in one case my recommendation to save a train journey, since I didn't know how far I'd get). So I used that to motivate myself and at this stage my goals were to not-walk and to try to maintain the pace as best I could. Took a Jaffa cake from someone around here, and a quarter orange from someone else. I was aiming to take a gel from the High5 station at 16miles and when I took it I decided I would walk to eat it and to drink some of the water I'd taken too. That was the first walking I'd done and it was more strategic than necessary at this stage. Then to the KCR and my friend was there jumping up and down even though I was 30mins or so later than I had told her (the wave change and some lost time) ... likely she stayed there to support many others I suspect. I didn't stop but when I had continued a bit further and turned onto Fortfield road (very familiar territory) I felt the need to stop and walk and I did. So mile 17 is the rogue mile among the data. Think part of the reason for the difficulty here was that in the run-up to the day I'd been thinking the KCR might be a place where I'd drop out (if I'd got that far), it would be close to home to get some clothes.
    This was also when I started to notice the hips/bum and general muscles feeling a bit stiff - would not really notice this on a Long run usually but it had been a good while since I'd run any proper distance, body out of practice. Little bit later also noticed the bottoms of the feet a bit sore from the impact.
    Started running again after the walk on Fortfield Road, and had to motivate myself somehow ... gave myself a talking to and my test was to run all the next mile and reassess (then I could bail at Rathgar if I failed, nice convenient location again :pac:). That worked and the pace picked up a little bit, and same again for mile 19 - looking on Strava I can see some gradual descent here. I'll be honest here and admit I was disappointed to have succeeded with my test, I would probably have to finish the whole thing now :rolleyes: (just the truth). Anyway I was working hard, but all the same I can 'grind out' the miles fairly well when I need to. I had started to notice the heel/arch give a little throb the odd time in these few miles, but it was only mild and not giving trouble. I was impressed it had held up so long and so well. I took another gel round around 19miles and then continued to run the 20th mile, saw the "Mr Guappa" sign before the Milltown arches, I got a cheer here. It was going well and even though it was hard I was maintaining the pace. However after coming under the arches at Milltown I met another drag, ran halfway up it and then I *needed* to stop to walk. There was a woman with dark hair along the side and she shouted at me by name and told me to get moving. So I did. But after a minute or two as we came down the other side of that drag I felt a wobble, then a cramp in my left calf :( - have never had this before but knew immediately what it was. I stopped and stretched it a couple of times, was not sure that would help (and tbh not sure I wanted it to help :pac:) but it did and I was able to run again (dammit looks like I have to continue) .. at least for about 3mins ... then it happened again. This time I was done, I was not up for 6miles stopping to stretch every few minutes. I came across to the side and stopped, tried to resist the 'support' trying to encourage me on. 10:24, 10:17, 9:56, 10:59, 9:34, 9:45, 10:07, 'bit' @10ish.

Had quite a long (slow) walk, first following the course for about a km as I'd been told there would be a help station and they might drive me into town (though I had not been asking), then later getting some directions to the Luas, and after slightly mis-following them another set of directions - finally I ended back up at the stop near Milltown however this was after walking a mile or two. I was cold in my shorts and Tshirt and it wasn't so nice now. Had to wait for the 2nd Luas and this one was very full, had a few wobbly nauseous moments when packed in like a sardine. Cold after getting out at Stephen's green and seemed like a long walk back to the Baggage area. People are very nice though, a woman stopped and asked me was I ok as I wobbled along the side of Stephen's green. Was very happy to see my bag, and my tracksuit :). Now that I was warm I took the time to stop and stretch the tight hip flexor I'd been feeling since I bailed. Wobbled my way to McGrattans for a quick visit and met nop of these parts (sub 4hr!) and his two proteges, but could not find anyone else despite a thorough search. Later I saw a comment on Strava that there was a boards crew upstairs, I had never realised there was an upstairs!

Back to base to put my feet up, I got coffee and then dinner brought to me on the sofa. Bit annoying to have the comments about 'the wall' from civilians - there is no wall, and I didn't bail for wall reasons anyway (I think!). My heel was sore, and I iced it for 15mins twice that evening and stretched it gently. It was pretty good when I got up the next morning so I think the 20miles only set it back very slightly. Otherwise stiff calves for a few days. Was not wiped-out by the run though, I was able to get up early the next day and do some remote working and cook the dinner.

Final thoughts: I'd had no trouble bailing, as my plan had always been to run a marathon, and I'd never considered doing the walk of death in the final miles. I felt a bit different after talking to nop, who had battled cramp from mile 15 or so, and even run while the cramps were active (and still got his sub-4hr). And after reading just a few of the Novices reports, *wow* some harrowing experiences and real heroism :o. I think it was especially easy to bail when I'd set out that morning with no idea of how far I'd get along the course, my perspective was different. Was in no way devastated to have to bail, even though the Marathon had been my main goal for 2019.

Am still baffled by the swift drop in fitness over 6 weeks. I was well off my planned mileage for those weeks (83miles rather than the planned 224) and no long runs were done, but I am amazed with 20mins slower compared to my HM 7weeks before. In all honesty (and I know this is not the right way to pace my marathon, I didn't tap into the 'effort' enough) I feel I was at a similar effort/wreckedness. Does anyone have a view? Is this normal to take such a hit?
    I'd had a busy period at work and sleep in the week or two before DCM had been a bit compromised. And I had a fairly hectic Saturday too which probably didn't help. And it turns out the pre-DCM walking Sunday morning was a full 4miles, the last 2miles done in a rush. So maybe those factors also contributed, I don't know.

Am not yet worried about the cramping as the internet cites insufficient number of long-runs, insufficiently-long runs (*tick*) and says cramps happen when form deteriorates in the later stages - this was the leg with the PF, so form had been compromised from the word go. Have never had it before so am not gong to worry unless it happens another time.

Going forward the plan is to sort out the foot properly. I will probably push forward and train for a spring marathon but I want to run a few parkruns and short races in November and December first.

Well M, Its been a good year to date and I think that you ran as far as the body as a whole was going to go on the day. Speaking for myself, and you did ask, I would certainly struggle with head games on 6 weeks light running before a marathon. Sure, you had a great base and the programme went well until injury but for a marathon, to just complete the distance even allowing for a reduced pace is an achievement. I had a similar experience in Belfast a few years ago and stopped at 28 kms. Best thing I did was pull up and dnf. Saved myself from further injury and the dnf has since been erased from my mind.

So much good work (and fun) going on here.

Well M, Its been a good year to date and I think that you ran as far as the body as a whole was going to go on the day. Speaking for myself, and you did ask, I would certainly struggle with head games on 6 weeks light running before a marathon. Sure, you had a great base and the programme went well until injury but for a marathon, to just complete the distance even allowing for a reduced pace is an achievement. I had a similar experience in Belfast a few years ago and stopped at 28 kms. Best thing I did was pull up and dnf. Saved myself from further injury and the dnf has since been erased from my mind.

Wasn't just head-space that had been compromised though, I really felt I was much less fit. Amazed it seemed to fall off so quick. Will be interesting to test the pace at parkrun when things settle. It has been a good year for me overall, that's true.
    So much good work (and fun) going on here.

That's very nice of you to say that. Better get those trainers back on so!

Wasn't just head-space that had been compromised though, I really felt I was much less fit. Amazed it seemed to fall off so quick.

Clarification :) Head space includes my reasoning process factory :D. I have found a noticeable dip in performance, and confidence, after 3 weeks break. Once I get back running it dissipates significantly after a week (non science...and just how I feel). I think the perceptible physical loss translates into a greater, than might be expected, loss of confidence in form for me. I hope that makes sense.

I believe that Vo2 max measurements do in fact register a drop in the 2-4 weeks range and noticeably more after that.

• Advertisement

Clarification :) Head space includes my reasoning process factory :D. I have found a noticeable dip in performance, and confidence, after 3 weeks break. Once I get back running it dissipates significantly after a week (non science...and just how I feel). I think the perceptible physical loss translates into a greater, than might be expected, loss of confidence in form for me. I hope that makes sense.

I believe that Vo2 max measurements do in fact register a drop in the 2-4 weeks range and noticeably more after that.

Thanks :). I think I also read something on letsrun about things coming back in a couple of weeks of running. Unfortunately I didn't have time to re-condition my self before the Race ... but it bodes well for a spring marathon I guess.

That might fix my mind with regard to (not) taking the DCM offer for next year in fact. Had been back-and-forth on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I think you did amazingly well to get to 20 miles given the injury woes in the run up. I don't know much about how quickly fitness drops off, but I've had a few weeks off in the past and been astonished at how much fitness I seemed to lose. That said, as you say yourself you obviously do have really good endurance and all the training you did get done will certainly stand to you if you decide to train for a spring marathon. You were really unlucky with the injury given how well the training had been going before that, so I hope everything heals quickly and you can do yourself justice in the next one!

eyrie wrote: »
    I think you did amazingly well to get to 20 miles given the injury woes in the run up. I don't know much about how quickly fitness drops off, but I've had a few weeks off in the past and been astonished at how much fitness I seemed to lose. That said, as you say yourself you obviously do have really good endurance and all the training you did get done will certainly stand to you if you decide to train for a spring marathon. You were really unlucky with the injury given how well the training had been going before that, so I hope everything heals quickly and you can do yourself justice in the next one!

Thanks for the nice comments, Eyrie. I guess the fitness really does drop off that quick. Will get myself back on the pavements tomorrow and back into training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry about the DNF M. It seems you did very well to get as far as you did.

Regarding McGrattans, if it's any consolation, you're not the first to be unaware of an upstairs - I only discovered it on my third visit :D

Advertisement