Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sandblasting

Options
  • 31-10-2019 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a old hilux and I was to protect the chassis for the future rust etc

Is it a good idea to sandblast chassis and then get it sprayed with anti rust .

Or would powder coat be better .

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Just to clarify, I assume you are stripping the vehcile down to the bare chassis and the having it blasted,

powder coat is great protection but can be prone to cracks and therefore water ingress. I have a pre-war Austin with a powder coated chassis and its been fine for years though.

there are any amount of paints for undercoating now a days, so its hard to give advice on what ones to go for, but I'd go for this option, but research required

some may opt for hot dip galvanise, like many new series landrover chassis, graet protection but doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jasushaw

Testacalda wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I assume you are stripping the vehcile down to the bare chassis and the having it blasted,

powder coat is great protection but can be prone to cracks and therefore water ingress. I have a pre-war Austin with a powder coated chassis and its been fine for years though.

there are any amount of paints for undercoating now a days, so its hard to give advice on what ones to go for, but I'd go for this option, but research required

some may opt for hot dip galvanise, like many new series landrover chassis, graet protection but doesn't look great.

The lad said he sandblasts under neath as is like nothing stripped. He said it fine unless brake lines are rusty.
    Which I thought was odd as he wouldn't be able to get all parts of the chassis.
    I don't know alot about this area to be honest so I appreciate the help and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

That's not a job I'd recommend, I'd go as far as saying that anyone who would recommend such a procedure is a cowboy more interested in taking your money than rustprofing your chassis.
    That's before I even mention and safety issues with brake lines and hoses.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jasushaw

kev1.3s wrote: »
    That's not a job I'd recommend, I'd go as far as saying that anyone who would recommend such a procedure is a cowboy more interested in taking your money than rustprofing your chassis.
    That's before I even mention and safety issues with brake lines and hoses.

Thanks I thought it seemed abit dodgy. He was recommended to me but I think I'll give it a miss and look for a serious lad

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

if you aren't going to strip it then I would recommend a decent coating of cavity wax both inside and outside the chassis and on the underfloor. Will do a good job at protecting it from rust without coating everything in paint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

sand-blasting is very severe. There are other forms such as soda blasting which would have a better outcome. The vehicle needs to be stripped as others have said

Advertisement