Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 244 Masvidal v Diaz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

US2 wrote: »
    Which round was giving 10-8?

Round 2

jorge-masvidal-nate-diaz-ufc-244-scorecard.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

No real complaints about the stoppage, Diaz spent the last 3 mins of round 3 rubbing his eye, it was obviously causing him trouble and was only going to get worse.

No sign Diaz was going to turn things around in the last 2 if anything he was going to take a beating for another 2.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I see you're new to combat sports.

Bye now.

Mod: They can be new if they want and are free to post here as long as they do so within the rules, no need for your nonsense last night and a couple of your comments. Have a bit of cop on in future, you are here long enough to know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ricero wrote: »
    Don't get the Till bashing whatsoever. His post-fight press conference was one of the most honest and refreshing interviews I've ever seen from a pro fighter. Fair play to him.

The octagon interview was awful. "Fúck yous".

Throw in the craic in Spain during the summer, his thoroughly underwhelming UFC career to date despite being such a mouth and, nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Diaz will forever struggle against people more powerful than him

He's does well at lightweight where he has the length and size advantage , It allows him to get into a rhythm , he can't keep powerful guys at the distance he wants or when they do clinch he doesn't have the strength to control them,

He has not and never will be a top welterweight ,

I said hereon Friday I thought Masivdal might hold him down but instead he held him up against the cage and done the damage, after round one it was game over,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Masvidal by submission
    Diaz will forever struggle against people more powerful than him

He's does well at lightweight where he has the length and size advantage , It allows him to get into a rhythm , he can't keep powerful guys at the distance he wants or when they do clinch he doesn't have the strength to control them,

He has not and never will be a top welterweight ,

I said hereon Friday I thought Masivdal might hold him down but instead he held him up against the cage and done the damage, after round one it was game over,

He's also ****e against wrestlers and people who kick his legs. Himself and Cerrone are both very entertaining but horribly overrated

xtal191 wrote: »
    He's also ****e against wrestlers and people who kick his legs. Himself and Cerrone are both very entertaining but horribly overrated

So is Masvidal but it was a good fight while it lasted. Masvidal looked like a right spare with the cringe MF belt around him though.

xtal191 wrote: »

Agree i was countung the wrestlers in the lads who are more powerful pile,
    I wouldn't call them over rated there both very good fighters and great to watch but just elite guys , They still beat 805 of the guys out there

Diaz has a granite chin and great cardio.
    He throws v.high volume, and that combined with he chin and cardio means that he often wins via punching in later rounds.
    But Diaz is not a good boxer technically speaking. That was really evident yesterday, but still the myth lives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The Nal wrote: »
    So is Masvidal but it was a good fight while it lasted. Masvidal looked like a right spare with the cringe MF belt around him though.

I wouldn't put Masvidal on their level. He's lost a few, but they're generally close fights, or a bad match up (Wonderboy). Cowboy has been ran through plenty of times, and Nate has some lobsided losses (RDA, Rory) against him.
    I wouldn't call Masvidal elite though, but he's a higher tier journeyman than the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

derfderf wrote: »
    I wouldn't put Masvidal on their level. He's lost a few, but they're generally close fights, or a bad match up (Wonderboy). Cowboy has been ran through plenty of times, and Nate has some lobsided losses (RDA, Rory) against him.
    I wouldn't call Masvidal elite though, but he's a higher tier journeyman than the other two.

masvidal is not a journeyman thats a ridiculous statement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

The octagon interview was awful. "Fúck yous".

Throw in the craic in Spain during the summer, his thoroughly underwhelming UFC career to date despite being such a mouth and, nah.

At 26yrs old he has headlined 3 big european cards against Cerrone, Wonderboy and Masvidal and was co main in one of the years biggest events in MSG i would hardly call it that underwhelming thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    Diaz has a granite chin and great cardio.
    He throws v.high volume, and that combined with he chin and cardio means that he often wins via punching in later rounds.
    But Diaz is not a good boxer technically speaking. That was really evident yesterday, but still the myth lives on.
    He has a good/decent 1-2 that he uses a fair bit, otherwise just wings in shots.

akelly02 wrote: »
    masvidal is not a journeyman thats a ridiculous statement

Dunno. Hes 34, has never fought for a title, and has lost 13 fights. Was ranked as low as 30 at WW only a couple of years ago.

Looks like a totally different fighter now though. Deservedly a title contender.
    bmcc10 wrote: »
    At 26yrs old he has headlined 3 big european cards against Cerrone, Wonderboy and Masvidal and was co main in one of the years biggest events in MSG i would hardly call it that underwhelming thus far.

Missed weight against Wonderboy, got a home town decision,

Hes also drawn, tapped and been KO'd in 3 of his other 9 UFC fights. Fairly underwhelming given the shíte he talks.

Nice interview after in the dressing room though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Until this year, Masvidal has been the absolute definition of a journeyman ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Dunno. Hes 34, has never fought for a title, and has lost 13 fights. Was ranked as low as 30 at WW only a couple of years ago.

Looks like a totally different fighter now though. Deservedly a title contender.

Missed weight against Wonderboy, got a home town decision,

Hes also drawn, tapped and been KO'd in 3 of his other 9 UFC fights. Fairly underwhelming given the shíte he talks.

A win against Gastelum in his first fight at middle weight is pretty impressive. Gastelum came very close to becoming interim champ a few months ago, against the guy who is now full champ.
    DT is very good, as is Edwards. One of them will be the next English champ in ufc. Apart from Conor we got nobody else Irish who may become a champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

bmcc10 wrote: »

The UFC seem absolutely determined to push him and hype him though. He has yet to have a good fight, the wonderboy win was razor close, sparked by masvidal , battered by woodley. I like him though, he fought a smart fight against a heavy hitter in Gastelum.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    He has a good/decent 1-2 that he uses a fair bit, otherwise just wings in shots.

His 1-2 is effective due to his reach and volume. But anything with power is just a big wanger from the shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Masvidal's facial features and physique has changed alot in recent years...

Very interesting indeed. Does nobody else think this is remotely suspicious?

• Advertisement

Someone probably gave him a copy of 'The Secret'..

You can tell the guys are juicing, he's a very soft physique for that.

It depends really ,
    The bloke used to think he was just a tuff guy who could scrap but seems he now takes everything from Diet to training very seriously ,

Also his run isn't really that great , I think his best win was Ben but that happens 1 out of 100 times if you ask me,

Till & Diaz are good fighter but both fighting at the wrong weight class in these match ups

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭robwen

Reality TV show in the Dominican Republic apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I wouldn't think so. He's a bad match up for Nate (obviously after yesterday).
    Till was too cocky. He dropped Masvidal early, and it was a close fight until the KO.
    Can't take much from the Askren fight really. Spectacular KO, but misses 9 times out of 10.

I'm not saying he's lucky or anything, just that it was a good run of fights that all went exactly how he would have wanted them to.

• If you look at Masvidal's last five losses, four have been split decisions, so his record could quite easily look a lot more handsome than it does.

The fella has fought nearly 50 times, so losses are inevitable.

If you look at Masvidal's last five losses, four have been split decisions, so his record could quite easily look a lot more handsome than it does.

The fella has fought nearly 50 times, so losses are inevitable.

In 48 fights hes never really been badly beaten, never KO'd, so maybe hes just naturally matured into a contender now. All the pieces have fallen into place.

He's never been finished. A good wrestler, technically a very good boxer, great cardio and has a really nasty streak.
    He took a year out and obviously made some changes as he was narrowly losing fights.

rob316 wrote: »
    You can tell the guys are juicing, he's a very soft physique for that.

Anderson Silva had a "soft" phyisque. It's not all about being ripped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

Until this year, Masvidal has been the absolute definition of a journeyman ffs.

If hes a journeyman hes a very skilled journeyman,some of his losses are razor tight split decisions the Iaquinta one sticks out as a robbery.

He used to fight safe and it cost him some wins but thats part of what give him the longevity to have so many fights without taking major damage.Hes become a bit more aggressive in trying to finish fights lately,but hes fought a whos who of mma and rarely was dominated by anybody.

Advertisement