Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are those my feet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    [

Regardless of what happens on Sunday I have absolutely loved the training. I covered 580 miles over the 14 weeks, including a 60 mile week, four further 50+ mile weeks, and two sub 1:45 Half Marathons. As mentioned before I really enjoyed the weekends that featured a tough 60 min moderate run on the Saturday, with a 18-20 miler the following day - I felt super strong after those. I will add that I felt more ready for the marathon three weeks ago after the 20 miler than I have since - I really didn't like the taper!

Your love of running has really come across in how you've approached your training in the last year. You've taken to the more advanced plans like a duck to water and have gone from strength to strength. It shows in your approach to the novices, too. I really hope you have a fab run tomorrow. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great job with the novices. Well done. All the best for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks for all the well wishes folks. Best of luck to those of you running tomorrow, and I look forward to seeing many of you for the post-race analysis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

You’ve an amazing training block behind you A, you deserve to be full of confidence tomorrow morning. Go out and put it to work for you.
    Great job on the novice thread too, hope you have a ball tomorrow and enjoy celebrating all the hard work on both fronts!

Dublin Marathon 2019 Report

Warning - this will be a by-the-numbers report. No drama, no tears, just a boring, well-executed race :D. And lots of boring race detail.

Travelled up to Dublin on the Saturday with the OH, who was supporting, and two others who were running also. Lots of running talk which was great. I trusted my plan, trusted my training and believed I was ready, so hearing stories of their training and plans didn't phase me one bit. In and out at the expo before a quiet evening and an early night. The last thing I read before bed was my race report from last year. A great reminder not to get carried away too soon. Up before the alarm in the morning, had a decent breakfast of overnight oats and bagel, before heading in. Bumped into coogy in the wave 2 holding area - he looked as relaxed as I felt.

As planned, I started off way down the back of wave 2. I let pretty much the whole wave off into the distance as I casually jettisioned the tracksuit pants and ambled up along towards the start line. I was calm, composed, ready. I chucked the hoodie as I approached the start line, and then realised I didn't even have my watch ready to go. Set that up, and finally, crossed the line almost 5 minutes after the leaders of wave 2.

Miles 1-7: 8:43, 9:05, 9:09, 8:55, 8:59, 8:49, 8:59
    As outlined last week, I'd broken the race into 5 sections. Rough guide pace for these miles 8:55 or thereabouts. Nice and easy, don't get carried away, handy on the hills and don't be afraid to go slower than planned. There was plenty of room to run over the opening two miles and, as planned, I tried to run the shortest course I could. This was very much a focus throughout, particularly early. I was patient, waited for gaps to develop, didn't panic. It was warmer than expected, and I'd got rid of the hat, gloves and extra top by Stoneybatter. Running the racing line meant I happened upon the frist water station and grabbed a drink. Put in a zero tab and tucked it in my flipbelt. I didn't need to pick up water again until Kilmainham. Took Maurten gels at 2.5 and 5.5 miles. Some lunatic went weaving and zig-zagging through the pack over by the zoo at great speed. It was pretty reckless and could have easily caused an incident. Of course, I saw him again at Walkinstown and he was walking by then. Passed my OH at mile 5, and was keeping an eye out for applegirl at Myo's but didn't spot her. Still, knowing where people were dotted throughout the course helped provide a short-term focus. Also, I apparently passed Lazare and skyblue46 but never heard the shouts! 10km target was 55:20, went through in 55:35. Spot on.

Miles 8-10: 8:27, 8:29, 8:38
    Goal pace for these miles was 8:30. Time to take advantage of the course and pick things up a touch, but not get carried away either. Took another gel at 8.5, and passed the OH again on the Upper Glen. Nothing too remarkable through this phase, focus still on keeping the effort controlled and following the racing line. Routine was a word that kept popping into my brain throughout the race - this all felt routine. I'd trained hard and was now putting that training to use.

Miles 11-15: 9:06, 8:33, 8:36, 8:49, 8:44
    Planned pace through this section was 8:45. I'd forgotten how much of a pull it is up St. Laurence's. Just stuck to the plan - easy on the hills, don't worry about the time. Which way do we turn at the top? Nudge that way. My next supporter was my aunt who had a great view from her apartment in Kilmainham. Took on another Maurten gel at 11.5 miles. Passed a local guy I know after Kilmainham - he had gone out too fast, as I feared he might, and would have a tough second half before finishing in 4:30. Halfway target was 1:55:20 - I went through in 1:55:26. Still spot on. And only 13.16 miles covered as per watch - nice one. The next supporter I was on the lookout for was fellow 2018 novice effibear, who would be around the 14 mile mark. I spotted her but she was busy chasing a child as I passed! I was on the shoulder of a tall guy through the Walkinstown roundabout - eventually I copped that it was the lad who'd travelled up with us on the Saturday. He was running even splits for a sub 4, and achieved his goal, despite a slight fade to finish. Brief hello, etc., before I gave a wave and moved ahead.

Miles 16-22: 8:33, 8:31, 8:21, 8:22, 7:58, 8:26, 8:51
    Through the Walkinstown roundabout, and now it was time to lift the pace and head for home. Target pace was 8:35 for this stretch. I took a Hi-5 gel shortly after the 15 mile mark, and having finished my most recent water bottle I'd a little wait until the 16 mile station to fully wash down that gel. I reckon I'll go Maurten only next time out. Anyway, I felt really strong all the way through to Milltown. I just kept churning out the miles, picking off runners and of course, keeping the course as short as possible. 30k target was 2:42:50, and I passed through in 2:43:12. That will do nicely. Shane Ross was out supporting somewhere here. I was feeling strong around Bushy Park, and tried working out if 3:45 was a possibilty. Throughout the race I'd been repeating applegirl's "endure" mantra from the novice thread. Here I decided, to hell with "endure" let's attack!! I lifted the pace a touch and said we'd see what transpired. Took a caffeine gel at mile 19 or so, and that seemed to have an immediate effect as I really kicked on for that mile - maybe too much. This was my strongest period of the race as I passed Huzzah!, ReeReeG, juke and strawberry swan at Milltown. Loved the sign guys :pac:. Slowed a little through the hills and maybe the earlier speedy miles had taken a little too much out of the legs. I think it was the water station after Milltown that had cups only - I was raging. Grabbed a lucozade at the next station, and nearly got sick. Heartbreak Hill was ok, and very sticky underfoot. I didn't have much in the legs to take advantage of the following downhill.

Miles 23-26.2: 8:38, 8:36, 8:33, 8:24 and 7:28 for the bit
    Planned paces here were 8:30. I was working pretty hard now, and wishing that I'd carried a second caffeine gel. Aerobically, I could have given more, but the legs just wouldn't follow. I knew if I could keep it under 9min/mile I'd come home under 3:50, and if I could knock it to under 8:00min/mile I'd get under 3:45. I tried pushing, god knows I tried - but the legs just wouldn't go with me. Still though, I hadn't faded and was knocking out the planned paces. No matter what anyone says, the Stillorgan flyover bits are most definitely uphill. Richie Sadlier was out supporting around here. Took a final Maurten gel around the 23 mile mark. The next few miles I was feeling ok, and I finally managed a speed up after the 40k mark when skyblue46 emerged from the crowd with a roar of "drive it home". "I will!" says I, and put the foot down. That lasted about 100m before the legs told me where to go. Still though, I kept ticking along nicely after that and managed a decent pick-up approaching the line as well.

Finished in 3:47:15 - a PB of over 26 minutes, and a negative split of 3+ minutes. I'm also super pleased that I ran "just" 26.28 miles. JOB DONE!

As soon as I stopped running my legs didn't want to know. I plodded through the medal, jersey and goodie bag areas, blubbering "thanks for volunteering" to each volunteer I dealt with. Took a while to get changed, before catching the OH and grabbing a shower and a sandwich.

I thoroughly enjoyed McGrattan's. It was great to meet so many from these parts, many for the first time. Everyone had the post-marathon buzz - what a great feeling! A search party was eventually deployed to reluctantly drag me out of there. Had a few more pints when we got back to Tipp.

I'm delighted with my race. No drama - I just ran as planned. Happy days :D. It's very rewarding to see the hard work paying off. I loved the grads plan, and I was also delighted that my "plan buddies", Browneyes79 and coogy, had such great races themselves. Having someone on the same plan is something I found very helpful. Shout-out to eyrie as well, whose training on the same plan last year I referred to more than once. Thanks also to all the contributors to this thread all year - much appreciated! I'll leave the marathon alone for 18-24 months now I think - who knows what I'll be targetting next time I face the 26.2 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭passinginterest

Great report. Reminded me I spotted Shane Ross and Richie Sadlier too. Although I thought Shane Ross was somewhere in the no man's land between Milltown and Heartbreak Hill.

Really well executed race, similar to my own in lot of ways. Sounds like we're taking a similar approach to future marathons too. Thanks again for the advice along the way. Hopefully bump into you at some races in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great report A. I'm afraid it has ruled itself out of the running for race report of the year though!! Not even one tear, one cramp, you never even stumbled or battled through outrageous pain. Your kids didn't cry as they watched you struggle with the beast that was in the process of devouring you and your dog didn't even get a mention.

As a lesson in a perfectly executed marathon? Absolutely excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I'm not even a tiny bit shocked that you ran an incredibly disciplined marathon. Your training was truly exemplary, and the PBs earlier this year were proof of the progress already made. You seem really in tune with what you're capable of in each race too. Congrats on a fantastic PB!!! Eager to see what you'll line up to achieve next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yido1882

Great report and performance, really well executed and deserved from all your hard work this year.

Super job with the novices too, look forward to seeing what's next for you.

Great report. Reminded me I spotted Shane Ross and Richie Sadlier too. Although I thought Shane Ross was somewhere in the no man's land between Milltown and Heartbreak Hill.

Really well executed race, similar to my own in lot of ways. Sounds like we're taking a similar approach to future marathons too. Thanks again for the advice along the way. Hopefully bump into you at some races in the future.
    Thanks P! I do hope we cross paths at some stage.

You could be right on Shane Ross - lots of the geography in the second half of the race blends into one for me.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great report A. I'm afraid it has ruled itself out of the running for race report of the year though!! Not even one tear, one cramp, you never even stumbled or battled through outrageous pain. Your kids didn't cry as they watched you struggle with the beast that was in the process of devouring you and your dog didn't even get a mention.

As a lesson in a perfectly executed marathon? Absolutely excellent :)
    I did forget to mention some knee soreness for a while and a bit of a stitch. Maybe next race. :)

Thanks though, I'm thrilled with the race - not in an euphoric way, but more a job well done satisfaction sort-a-way.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'm not even a tiny bit shocked that you ran an incredibly disciplined marathon. Your training was truly exemplary, and the PBs earlier this year were proof of the progress already made. You seem really in tune with what you're capable of in each race too. Congrats on a fantastic PB!!! Eager to see what you'll line up to achieve next year :)
    Thanks V. I do wonder if I sell myself short sometimes, but then again I hadn't much left to give at the end of this, or either of my recent Half's. Either way, I'm progressing, so I won't be greedy!
    yido1882 wrote: »
    Great report and performance, really well executed and deserved from all your hard work this year.

Super job with the novices too, look forward to seeing what's next for you.
    Thanks A! Sorry to see you didn't get to line up, but hopefully that's down to good news from another direction!

As for what's next - that's currently being fleshed out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats A. Such a perfectly paced race, bang on your times at each marker, you couldn't have raced it any better.
    Double kudos on the sterling effort in your role as Mentor to this year's bunch of Novices. Their reports are testamount to the block of work you did with each and every one of them and the high regard you are held in by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Agree with what V said above!

All the way through each of your training blocks, you were doing exactly what it said on the tin, and like you, I also benefitted from watching you and C using the same plan.

Well done again, and I'm sure that whatever you decide on for 2020 will be a huge success!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done again on a brilliantly run marathon! Thanks again for all your help & advice on the Novice thread:)

Was lovely to meet you afterwards in McGrattons!

Very best of luck with your future targets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Great race report - a lesson in perfect planning, sticking to said plan, and executing like a dream. Brilliant discipline throughout. Congrats on the PB, and thanks again for keeping the Novice thread in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Fantastic report and brilliantly executed race, A. I'm jealous of your splits at the end. Well done on a savage training block and congrats on the Novices thread, a credit to you. Looking forward to hearing what the next target is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

26.28 miles. A lesson in discipline. Great stuff. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

Great stuff A and well done leading your troops around Dublin safely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Textbook stuff! Beautifully done A - a perfectly run marathon. No surprise there given how well you have trained throughout the year, just congratulations on a plan well executed and a lovely new PB to show for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

Congrats again on a well run DCM Mr G, delighted to see you get a time you deserve. Best of luck in next year's DCM, I know you'll be picking up a ticket at noon tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done A, seems like a cruise around the roads of Dublin - congrats on the PB! Can't have been easy combining your training with looking after the Novices Graduates, so bonus points for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Well done A. Amazing race and great report. I've taken note for next year! #no drama
    Amazing training block while guiding the novices. I honestly don't know how you managed it all. Just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Honestly I've no idea how you survived marathon training with novice training. You were pretty relentless with the novices, and your own training went very well too. There's not many who have survived doing both at the same time :)

Singer wrote: »
    Honestly I've no idea how you survived marathon training with novice training. You were pretty relentless with the novices, and your own training went very well too. There's not many who have survived doing both at the same time :)

It was only in McGrattan's that they told me about the "mentor's curse" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It was only in McGrattan's that they told me about the "mentor's curse" :eek:

You were better off not knowing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Only just caught up with your report now. Superbly executed race and you achieved and surpassed even what you wanted to do. Thanks for all your help in the novice thread, you reassured me at one stage towards the end when i was doubting my pace and strategy. Only sorry i couldn't stay longer in mcgrattans. I might be tapping you up on the training plan you used this year as ive just reloaded again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Congrats A. Well done on a superb run and PB.
    Many thanks for all the support and guidance in the novices group over the past number of months. Sorry to have missed ye in McG's

Only just caught up with your report now. Superbly executed race and you achieved and surpassed even what you wanted to do. Thanks for all your help in the novice thread, you reassured me at one stage towards the end when i was doubting my pace and strategy. Only sorry i couldn't stay longer in mcgrattans. I might be tapping you up on the training plan you used this year as ive just reloaded again.

Thanks D! I was trawling through some of the logs here as research for my next target and came across this advice from OONegative:
    Train to current fitness. See improvements. Rinse and repeat. Stay injury free
    You had a phenomenal first marathon following a beginner-level plan. Just shows what can be achieved with lots of easy miles. If you can string some consistency together over the next 8 months leading into the training block for next year's marathon, then the sky is the limit. I'd love to see you start a training log too, I think you'd gain a lot from it.

28th Oct - 3rd Nov

Nothing! Zero miles. I had a couple of epsom salt baths, a few casual walks and that's about it. Right knee is a touch sore the past few days - it was at me a bit for a few miles early in the marathon too. Nothing too concerning at this juncture anyway. It might just need a bit of stretching or foam rolling - nothing on that front either this week. I might try a few miles midweek, or leave it to the weekend.

I just want to say thanks for all the nice comments here following the marathon. And yeah, the mentoring was often time consuming but it was massively rewarding too. It's such a great buzz when people tell you that your advice had a positive impact on their race, and indeed on their approach to running. I'd also like to thank Huzzah! and ReeReeG for all their wonderful assistance with the novice thread over the last six months - you were both fantastic mentors.

I have been looking toward what's next this week. At this point the next six months will be geared towards 5k, and more spefically a sub 20 5k. My PB is 21:08 from a bumpy enough Coolagown route last June. I've no real idea how optimistic or otherwise sub 20 is, but it's the target anyway. In preparation I read Lazare's log last week (where I happened upon the previously mentioned OO quote) and there is a copy of Faster Road Racing currently en route to me. I really like the grads plans, and they suit my work situation with just one midweek session and most of the heavy lifting at weekends, so I'll see if I can make the P&L plans work. I also like the look of the Runner's World plan eyrie is following at the moment. The target 5k looks like being the BK5K in Dundrum at the start of May.

During the week, I signed up for the Dungarvan 10 miler at the start of February, and the Adare 10k three weeks later is also in the diary. I'll most likely run the Stephen's Day 4 miler in Clonmel too, and before that I hope to find a 5k somewhere in early December, or maybe I'll settle for a parkrun. I've resisted the lure of DCM 2020 so far, although Comic Book Guy's report really put me to the test! Once my 5k block is finished I'm leaning towards a Half - possibly Charleville, but I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Nice to see someone pays attention to me A!!

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Nice to see someone pays attention to me A!!

Haha, you've plenty lads batting eyelashes at you from what I can tell :pac:

Advertisement