Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Tip or not to Tip - what are the rules?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

But that's the problem.
    Nothing wrong with giving a tip for extra service or if you want to feel like Johnny big shot.
    The issue is giving a tip for expected service.
    Delivery food job is to deliver food, why do they deserve a tip?
    DHL courier delivers packages, why doesnt he also get a tip?

Sometimes people just wish to spread some random largesse in the world, whether that be holding a door open, saying hello or tipping somebody in a service role that's worse than their job. It's often random, spontaneous and not necessarily subject to an inner spreadsheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

toffeeshel wrote: »
    The posters that are analyzing and arguing are predominantly the ones that don’t tip trying to justify it

People who don't tip don't need to justify it.

You are charged a price for a service, you pay the price you are charged that is the only obligation you have as a customer.

Sometimes people just wish to spread some random largesse in the world, whether that be holding a door open, saying hello or tipping somebody in a service role that's worse than their job. It's often random, spontaneous and not necessarily subject to an inner spreadsheet.

So what you are saying is that tipping is actually a way of being patronizing to the little people and making yourself feel good about it at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The posters that are analyzing and arguing are predominantly the ones that don’t tip trying to justify it

Took long enough to get to the BS. Well done.

Dog Murphy wrote: »
    So what you are saying is that tipping is actually a way of being patronizing to the little people and making yourself feel good about it at the same time.

Nope.

I'm saying sometimes I like to tip without being furiously analytical about it or running it against a spreadsheet of global tipping situations.

You seem quite angry about this?

I'm more than happy about my random, spontaneous acts of largesse involving my own money.

Maybe mindfulness or meditation might help you?

• Advertisement

Nope.

I'm saying sometimes I like to tip without being furiously analytical about it or running it against a spreadsheet of global tipping situations.

You seem quite angry about this?

I'm more than happy about my random, spontaneous acts of largesse involving my own money.

Maybe mindfulness or meditaion might help you?

Great , you like to Tip and a lot of people don't.

You're not wrong for Tipping a nd the people who don't Tip aren't wrong either

The entire issue about tipping though is that some people seem to think that those who don't tip are in the wrong and by not tipping are being really mean when in reality they really aren't doing anything wrong at all.

and the people who don't Tip aren't wrong either

Who said they were?

Deep breaths, chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

10pc for a good meal or 20 quid for a repair/ assembly done well.

Sometimes a tip for hotel room staff but doesn't seem to be the done thing

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Delivery food job is to deliver food, why do they deserve a tip?
    DHL courier delivers packages, why doesnt he also get a tip?
    I find most people tip in jobs that they have worked in. So they tip bar/restaurant/etc staff, etc.

A few people will gift their postman something at xmas. Parents used to give the milkman something at xmas, when we used to get milk delivered.

Not specifically DHL, but some farmers will offer people delivering large shipments some tea & sandwiches. In the long run, this can bump said farmer up to the front of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

10pc for a good meal or 20 quid for a repair/ assembly done well.

Sometimes a tip for hotel room staff but doesn't seem to be the done thing
    Fair play to you, guess it makes sense to give 10% to the cook for a good meal. Do you give anything as well to the cleaners, servers or managers of restaurant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Fair play to you, guess it makes sense to give 10% to the cook for a good meal. Do you give anything as well to the cleaners, servers or managers of restaurant?

Not sure where the tip goes in the restaurant that's their business, what do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Restaurant I tip, taxi drivers that’s it, every now and then I’ll say to my barman ‘and have one yourself’ he’ll take for an extra pint and pull it when he finished serving at the end of the night and join us for 20...

Service industries like that are not paid too well, for the effort it ‘can be’ a pretty average return and I like rewarding good service... those who don’t.... ok.... no issue but I’m happy with rewarding good service in those situations.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    In Florida atm and it's crazy, tip for fúkin everything!

Was there in the summer and tis something else alright.

I'd have gotten a week on the Copacabana for what I left in tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As I said previously, I've worked many years in different waiting jobs, and I've never expected to get tips. I was getting paid, min wage but still getting paid to do a job, a job which requires me to be cheerful, helpful and attentive. That's the basic requirements of being a waiter. If I do just that, as many waiters do, then no tip is deserved.

But, I used to go above and beyond as best I could, but it usually only really got the chance to do that on big tables. Either way, even going above and beyond, I still didn't expect a tip. And if there are people out there working as waiters expecting tips then they're doing it wrong.

The fact that people on here condemn and bemoan those who don't tip, to me, shows a superiority complex, a holier than thou attitude, and I've no doubt that they use this smugness to look down on us "non-tippers". Oh, by the way, it's not that I don't tip, I only tip for above and beyond. Too many people have pointed out that only certain sectors are expected to get tips, but others aren't. There's no justification in that, just doesn't make sense.

Also, at the people (women) who tip their hairdressers, are ye not paying enough as it is? Somewhere above €20 for them to wash and dry your hair, and ye tip them? I feel robbed paying €12 for a barber to shave my head!

Anyway, there IS NOT, and SHOULD NEVER BE an expectation to automatically tip. Great if you have the money to throw around anyway, go for gold, but don't expect everyone to be the same.

What exactly is the service industry, somebody who works in a call centre is essentially part of the service industry as well but they never get tips from customers.

Those working in a call centre should be able to give out their PayPal details at the conclusion of the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Who said they were?

Deep breaths, chief.

If I was "The Dog" I would quit now...before he get's his ar$e handed to him for a third time !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

the_syco wrote: »
    Pro tip; tip the barman for fast service the next time you go to get served.

Have tipped fast food staff.

Nurses... there's a tip joke there somewhere.... :pac:

Sorry but I always find Irish bar staff pretty fast with service without tips and they don't expect a tip for serving you exorbitantly priced pints anyway.

The vast majority of people do not tip fast food joints staff.

It's waiters, hairdressers/barbers, taxi drivers and food delivery workers who are in the golden circle for some reason and nothing else gets in which is totally contradictory.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Strumms wrote: »
    Restaurant I tip, taxi drivers that’s it, every now and then I’ll say to my barman ‘and have one yourself’ he’ll take for an extra pint and pull it when he finished serving at the end of the night and join us for 20...

Service industries like that are not paid too well, for the effort it ‘can be’ a pretty average return and I like rewarding good service... those who don’t.... ok.... no issue but I’m happy with rewarding good service in those situations.

We have minimum wage.

What makes you think that a barman with years of experience is not well paid?

Taxi drivers can earn a pretty penny too.

Why don't you tip the guy sweeping your road for the council or the person at the checkout of your supermarket? I'd say they all earn less than your local barman.

Rowing with friends over tipping - christ. I’d be more eager to tip if faced with someone like that, to piss them off..

It’s more debating the philosophy of tipping than arguing over a particular tip, some agree with me btw other don’t.
    So I hope he’s not telling other people to not tip.

At times I do, as I’m against the practice and would like to see it stamped out and discouraging others from doing it can only help.
    I’d say that when the bill arrives he’s the one that goes ‘ my starter was €2 cheaper and I didn’t order any sides and had a coffee instead of dessert therefore I only owe.......’

In general when we eat as a group we add up what we spent rather than split bills, if they are split I pay the exact split. Also many place allow you pay individually which means you pay exactly what you used or with nearly everyone having Revolut now it’s easy for one person pay and everyone send on their share instantly.
    Can’t agree. IMO it goes hand in hand. A stingy person is highly unlikely to tip. If throwing a couple of euro down as a tip is such a big deal then don’t go out

I really can’t get my head around this mentality. Your meal, service or whatever has a price and you pay that price why the hell should you pay more or worse be expected to pay more and called stingy if you don’t. Things are expensive enough without having to pay more on top of it. It’s a bizarre practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I really can’t get my head around this mentality. Your meal, service or whatever has a price and you pay that price why the hell should you pay more or worse be expected to pay more and called stingy if you don’t. Things are expensive enough without having to pay more on top of it. It’s a bizarre practice.

The practice isn't bizarre when you consider that in some locations and industries, the staff's basic wage was deliberately kept low because management used the argument that 'Oh, you'll make it on tips'. Then the government showed they agreed with that because they decided to target tips for tax income.

In inudstries where it has come to be expected, it is largely because it certainly was, if not still is, seen to be part of their income. The person who wins in this? The business owner, they either appear to have low prices or can pocket more profits while leaving the staff and customer to fight over the staff's level of income.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The practice isn't bizarre when you consider that in some locations and industries, the staff's basic wage was deliberately kept low because management used the argument that 'Oh, you'll make it on tips'. Then the government showed they agreed with that because they decided to target tips for tax income.

In inudstries where it has come to be expected, it is largely because it certainly was, if not still is, seen to be part of their income. The person who wins in this? The business owner, they either appear to have low prices or can pocket more profits while leaving the staff and customer to fight over the staff's level of income.

Yeah, in America, the servers take on the all the business risk. Such BS.

It’s more debating the philosophy of tipping than arguing over a particular tip, some agree with me btw other don’t.

At times I do, as I’m against the practice and would like to see it stamped out and discouraging others from doing it can only help.

In general when we eat as a group we add up what we spent rather than split bills, if they are split I pay the exact split. Also many place allow you pay individually which means you pay exactly what you used or with nearly everyone having Revolut now it’s easy for one person pay and everyone send on their share instantly.

How’s that going for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I usually always tip but it depends on the cost of what im paying for. If I order takeaway, I will always give the delivery driver a few euro extra and tell him to keep the change as delivery drivers are really badly paid.
    If I eat in a cafe, bistro or pub ill put some change in the tip jar, theres usually one at the till.
    If im in a restaurant I will usually leave a few euro extra as tip.

I dont usually tip taxi drivers as they're expensive as it is and often add on about 3 or 4 euro service charge.

Ive never tipped a hairdresser, didnt know that was a thing that people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but I always find Irish bar staff pretty fast with service without tips and they don't expect a tip for serving you exorbitantly priced pints anyway.
    If I have to wait 5-8 minutes to get served because there are 10 people in front of me, me tipping the one barstaff to ensure I don't have to wait next time; I'll do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

murpho999 wrote: »
    We have minimum wage.

What makes you think that a barman with years of experience is not well paid?

Taxi drivers can earn a pretty penny too.

Why don't you tip the guy sweeping your road for the council or the person at the checkout of your supermarket? I'd say they all earn less than your local barman.

I never said he was or wasn’t well paid, I simply prefer to buy him a pint at the end of an evening as a gesture of thanks.

Taxi drivers can earn a good deal of cash although in recognizing this it is good to be mindful that it costs them a good deal of cash before they actually make a cent... tax, insurance, fuel, servicing/maintenance all before a cent is earned.

I don’t tip the guy sweeping the road because he does it in a big truck so I wouldn’t have the ability to make contact with him and I am not around generally. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

This is a really good point. Every restaurant and bar wants excellent servers but refuse to pay a living wage and often the argument is "work hard and make your living in tips."
    Realistically this practice is not going to end anytime soon and nothing of this is a waiter's or bartender's fault. Also someone has to do that job, some people are genuinely amazing at it. But in hospitality there is no career ladder to climb despite romantic depiction in movies that the waitress can make management by just working hard. This is not how hospitality works and unfortunately by simply going out for food and drinks we all accept the status quo because we as customers want our food for the best price with the best service possible, since a raise in pay for waiter's is going to be put on the customer.
    In addition waiter's often work overtime and have to fight to get that paid, when I worked in hospitality because I really needed a job I was ripped off at every given opportunity, stuff like not being allowed taking time off or having certified sick days deducted from my annual leave. I also was put on a retail contract instead of hospitality since the premises also had a retail unit and all the young people on retail contracts had to do weekends because hospitality would get double pay according to the law while retail had to keep working for 7 quid an hour.

A pretty well known and popular 4star establishment advertised for a restaurant manager quite recently and you know what pay they offered? 23k.

LirW wrote: »
    This is a really good point. Every restaurant and bar wants excellent servers but refuse to pay a living wage and often the argument is "work hard and make your living in tips."
    Realistically this practice is not going to end anytime soon and nothing of this is a waiter's or bartender's fault. Also someone has to do that job, some people are genuinely amazing at it. But in hospitality there is no career ladder to climb despite romantic depiction in movies that the waitress can make management by just working hard. This is not how hospitality works and unfortunately by simply going out for food and drinks we all accept the status quo because we as customers want our food for the best price with the best service possible, since a raise in pay for waiter's is going to be put on the customer.
    In addition waiter's often work overtime and have to fight to get that paid, when I worked in hospitality because I really needed a job I was ripped off at every given opportunity, stuff like not being allowed taking time off or having certified sick days deducted from my annual leave. I also was put on a retail contract instead of hospitality since the premises also had a retail unit and all the young people on retail contracts had to do weekends because hospitality would get double pay according to the law while retail had to keep working for 7 quid an hour.

A pretty well known and popular 4star establishment advertised for a restaurant manager quite recently and you know what pay they offered? 23k.

God, that’s shit pay for a full-on, stressful job.

Sure remember Michel Roux Jr. rightfully being criticised for the pittance he paid his staff a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

God, that’s shit pay for a full-on, stressful job.

Sure remember Michel Roux Jr. rightfully being criticised for the pittance he paid his staff a few years back?

While I'm fully aware tips aren't mandatory I always tip unless the service is bad because I know how crap this job is and how much a decent tip outcome made my day just a bit better. For so many people it's their job they depend on because not everyone can be a high roller and others do it to work through college or to start out. The environment is toxic in the vast majority of businesses and wasn't there an article just yesterday or the day before about how common it is for women (and men too) in the service industry to get sexually harassed and assaulted and have to suck it up because it would shed a bad light on their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Wouldn't have been the best tipper myself until I started waiting tables for tour groups in a hotel. 4 tables of 10 to take orders and serve four courses. Clear everything, carry it to washup and back again to reset 40 places for breakfast. Then you've hoover/mop restaurant and a fcukload of other "set up" jobs

Shifts were capped at 3.5 hours so you had to do 6 days of split shifts just to make minimum wage. When someone is in a crap job but still being helpful, polite and giving great service I think they deserve a little tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah, in America, the servers take on the all the business risk. Such BS.

Not sure what point you are making here.

Advertisement