Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Tip or not to Tip - what are the rules?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

chrissb8 wrote: »
    …. Don't put your money into the chancers with their jars or stupid baskets with some crap "funny joke" slapped on the front. You get a tip as an unwarranted thank you, you don't get it when you ask for it and assume you're entitled to it by putting out some jar like you're a charity case. You get paid a wage, like all of us, I am not paying you for doing something you are already being paid for....

There could be more of those jars soon - I heard there's a new bill about tipping in the hospitality sector and employers will have to display their tips policy and all the tips will be combined and then distributed to all staff.

If that means everyone will have to hand up any tips they get, it kinda goes against the idea that people tip individuals for good service.

thanks for all the interesting posts and comments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

I’m very strongly against it and have often ended up in arguments out with friends as I will simply not add extra money to the pot for a tip and that sort of thing.

I hope that you have the balls to inform the server that you haven’t contributed to the tip. Somehow I doubt it.
    I’d say your ‘friends’ love going out with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

toffeeshel wrote: »
    I hope that you have the balls to inform the server that you haven’t contributed to the tip. Somehow I doubt it.
    I’d say your ‘friends’ love going out with you.

I don’t see why an argument would happen anyway. In my experience, people don’t diligently look for an exact amount from each person for a tip, the money is cobbled together haphazardly. So I hope he’s not telling other people to not tip.

I don’t see why an argument would happen anyway. In my experience, people don’t diligently look for an exact amount from each person for a tip, the money is cobbled together haphazardly. So I hope he’s not telling other people to not tip.

I’d say that when the bill arrives he’s the one that goes ‘ my starter was €2 cheaper and I didn’t order any sides and had a coffee instead of dessert therefore I only owe.......’

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I’d say that when the bill arrives he’s the one that goes ‘ my starter was €2 cheaper and I didn’t order any sides and had a coffee instead of dessert therefore I only owe.......’

there is a huge diference between not tipping and being stingy

• Advertisement

Can’t agree. IMO it goes hand in hand. A stingy person is highly unlikely to tip. If throwing a couple of euro down as a tip is such a big deal then don’t go out

Can’t agree. IMO it goes hand in hand. A stingy person is highly unlikely to tip. If throwing a couple of euro down as a tip is such a big deal then don’t go out

and you would be wrong. or at least partialy wrong.

yes a stinky person wont tip but that doesnt mean that all thos that dont tip are stingy

i never tip . i dont see the point or need. a tip should be for going beyond what your job entails. being nice and friendly is part of your job,
    i can only think of 2 cases where somone has went above and beyond. one was a vetinery nurse calling out to a sick animal with the vet when she should be gone home for a half day, the other a sales guy in a local tool shop brought home a tool to his house so i could ty it out becasue i needed it the day after and couldnt get to the shop during the day

i cosider my self fairly generous and not stingy but i would never tip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Completely incorrect

This comes up all the time on here & nobody had yet given a satisfactory answer (IMO) to why are waiting staff so different to other types of staff?

and you would be wrong. or at least partialy wrong.

yes a stinky person wont tip but that doesnt mean that all thos that dont tip are stingy

i never tip . i dont see the point or need. a tip should be for going beyond what your job entails. being nice and friendly is part of your job,
    i can only think of 2 cases where somone has went above and beyond. one was a vetinery nurse calling out to a sick animal with the vet when she should be gone home for a half day, the other a sales guy in a local tool shop brought home a tool to his house so i could ty it out becasue i needed it the day after and couldnt get to the shop during the day

i cosider my self fairly generous and not stingy but i would never tip

You are therefore stingy. These threads are always full of people trying to justify being tightarses. You have obviously never worked in the service industry. Sometimes in life it’s nice to be nice. Your stingyness doesn’t go unnoticed. I would much prefer to be thought of as being a decent person than to have people that have done me a service thinking ‘cnut ‘
    Everyone to their own

You are therefore stingy. These threads are always full of people trying to justify being tightarses. You have obviously never worked in the service industry. Sometimes in life it’s nice to be nice. Your stingyness doesn’t go unnoticed. I would much prefer to be thought of as being a decent person than to have people that have done me a service thinking ‘cnut ‘
    Everyone to their own

how is there anything in my post that make me stingy.

i work everyday in a service industry. im a self employed carpenter.
    tipping has nothing to do with being nice. im very nice , i always thank the people serving me etc

not tipping is more on principle that the few euro. i have paid for something so why should i pay again

im sorry but anyone that would think of someone not tipping as a cnut is clearly one themselves and not someone i would lose a minutes sleep over.

• Advertisement

how is there anything in my post that make me stingy.

i work everyday in a service industry. im a self employed carpenter.
    tipping has nothing to do with being nice. im very nice , i always thank the people serving me etc

im sorry but anyone that would think of someone not tipping as a cnut is clearly one themselves and not someone i would lose a minutes sleep over.

You’re a carpenter therefore I presume that occasionally people give you €10/€20 over the agreed price? You receive tips therefore you should know how good that is. Share the love

You’re a carpenter therefore I presume that occasionally people give you €10/€20 over the agreed price? You receive tips therefore you should know how good that is. Share the love

very very rarely.
    and thse time have been for doign something extra or going the extra mile . hence my belief that a tip should only be for doing extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Ask anyone who's had their bonus slashed/removed if it's part of their wages.....

So is it the concept of tipping or the source of the money you have an issue with, do you tip when you're expensing the meal.....

I'd imagine they'd tell you it is part of their wages and that it feels like a wage cut if something like that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

Everyone to their own

What exactly is the service industry, somebody who works in a call centre is essentially part of the service industry as well but they never get tips from customers.

very very rarely.
    and thse time have been for doign something extra or going the extra mile . hence my belief that a tip should only be for doing extra.

I’m sure it happens more than rarely. We tip everyone that comes to our house to provide a service as do all our extended family.
    You’re trying to justify not tipping. I’m not going to be able to change your ways.
    I’ll give you an example- I’ve worked as a takeaway driver. If I leave the shop with 3 deliveries 2 of which are tippers and 1 isn’t- who is getting cold chips?

Everyone to their own

This makes no sense

Am I a tight arse for not tipping in the petrol station? Or is it only just in restaurants?

Say I take some friends and family out in a restaurant in Dublin (most are quite expensive) to treat them, but if I don't tip I'm tight and a cnut?

If i'm a total cnut in all other aspects of life but because I throw a few quid at a waiter (off topic f*ck me I hate the term "server") who I don't know and interacts with me for a few mins I can walk around head held high as not a cnut?

These threads are hilarious. The cost of living in Ireland is high, restaurants are expensive but people not adding 10%+ to an already expensive bill is tight and really should stay at home instead?

Completely laughable

I’ll give you an example- I’ve worked as a takeaway driver. If I leave the shop with 3 deliveries 2 of which are tippers and 1 isn’t- who is getting cold chips?

If I get cold chips I won't be ordering from that takeaway again

In fact I wouldn't pay for them, you could take them away with you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I’m sure it happens more than rarely. We tip everyone that comes to our house to provide a service as do all our extended family.
    You’re trying to justify not tipping. I’m not going to be able to change your ways.

I tip most service staff, but if I suspected for even a second someone was pulling that kind of bollocks, I'd be on the phone to their boss in a heartbeat. What if its my first time using your service? Do you bring me cold chips, so I don't tip you, so you bring me cold chips etc etc? Tipping should never be expected simply because.

Fanny **** wrote: »
    If I get cold chips I won't be ordering from that takeaway again

You’ll eventually run out of takeaways to order from and have to get off your arse to collect your food as all drivers work like this but hey look on the bright side- exercise and you’ll be a euro richer

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't get why people tip waiters, taxi drivers and hairdressers but not barmen, office workers , fast food staff, shop assistants, nurses etc.
    Pro tip; tip the barman for fast service the next time you go to get served.

Have tipped fast food staff.

Nurses... there's a tip joke there somewhere.... :pac:

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I tip most service staff, but if I suspected for even a second someone was pulling that kind of bollocks, I'd be on the phone to their boss in a heartbeat. What if its my first time using your service? Do you bring me cold chips, so I don't tip you, so you bring me cold chips etc etc? Tipping should never be expected simply because.

It’s not bolix it’s economics. You tip- you’ll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

And what about if he tips say 5 quid but the 2 others tip 10 quid? Why does that deserve cold chips

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Or, do your job well and I'll tip you...

Dog Murphy wrote: »
    What exactly is the service industry, somebody who works in a call centre is essentially part of the service industry as well but they never get tips from customers.

Couriers, checkout assistants, receptionists, clampers, toll booth assistants, bank clerks, doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, gardas, solicitors, politicians(for some reason has to be in a brown envelope for them)

I'm already saving up in case I end up in a nursery home that I have enough to tip the person that will be serving my food everyday.

And what about if he tips say 5 quid but the 2 others tip 10 quid? Why does that deserve cold chips

‘Cold’ was an exaggeration to make a point. If I thought I could make €25 from 3 deliveries I’d give up the day job. Point is that people appreciate a tip and that regular customers that tip get better service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

A non-tipper will have to accept that probably many people will view them as stingy though. Just how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Off the top of my head, the only places/people I tip are restaurants, coffee shops (only the ones I regularly frequent), taxi drivers and delivery drivers. The last two aren't necessarily tips, just rounding off by a few euro.

Tipping to me is just a completely random, social act of largesse for people that are probably on lower wages than you and/or in demanding service roles, especially regular servers. It's not something I analyze deeply or care much about arguing about.

‘Cold’ was an exaggeration to make a point. If I thought I could make €25 from 3 deliveries I’d give up the day job. Point is that people appreciate a tip and that regular customers that tip get better service

But that's the problem.
    Nothing wrong with giving a tip for extra service or if you want to feel like Johnny big shot.
    The issue is giving a tip for expected service.
    Delivery food job is to deliver food, why do they deserve a tip?
    DHL courier delivers packages, why doesnt he also get a tip?

Off the top of my head, the only places/people I tip are restaurants, coffee shops (only the ones I regularly frequent), taxi drivers and delivery drivers. The last two aren't necessarily tips, just rounding off by a few euro.

Tipping to me is just a completely random, social act of largesse for people that are probably on lower wages than you and/or in demanding service roles, especially regular servers. It's not something I analyze deeply or care much about arguing about.

The posters that are analyzing and arguing are predominantly the ones that don’t tip trying to justify it

• Advertisement

The posters that are analyzing and arguing are predominantly the ones that don’t tip trying to justify it

Any chance you can justify why you choose to tip only some professions?

(Ps I tip where custom dictates that you are meant to esp when abroad plus I've worked in the service industry for years when younger)

Advertisement