Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: Who would you vote for in the UK General Election

• 29-10-2019 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

For completeness, have included the five significant English parties, along with the alternatives in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Who would you vote for in the UK General Election? 230 votes

Brexit Party
    66% 154 votes
    Conservative
    3% 7 votes
    Green
    4% 10 votes
    Labour
    0% 2 votes
    Liberal Democrats
    5% 13 votes
    Scottish National Party
    11% 26 votes
    Plaid Cymru
    3% 8 votes
    Alliance
    0% 0 votes
    Democratic Unionist
    0% 1 vote
    Sinn Féin
    0% 1 vote
    Social Democratic and Labour Party
    2% 6 votes
    Ulster Unionist
    0% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If I were there the Lib Dems assuming it did not allow the Tories a better chance of winning the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Labour. They seem to have, morally, the best man at the head of there party. I think more men like Corbyn in power would lead to a better and more fairer society for the average working man/woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭liamtech

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Labour. They seem to have, morally, the best man at the head of there party. I think more men like Corbyn in power would lead to a better and more fairer society for the average working man/woman.

He is utterly abysmal now - i say that as a leftie - he is squandering the opportunity of a life time to wipe out the tories - because at heart he is the labor party equivalent of Bill Cash - namely, a Brexiteer. The Labor parties brexit policy is farcical - honestly - a year or two more of dithering while Jeremy comes in and gets his deal - he wont do the honorable thing - either support remain whole heartedly - or stand aside an let someone like Hilary Benn take over - disaster

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would be entirely dependent on the constituency. Where I briefly lived in the UK is an utter mess next time out:

* Strong- 72% - Remain constituency
    * Tory safe seat, sitting Remain-supporting Tory retiring. No replacement candidate named
    * Chuka Umunna running for the Lib Dems
    * Labour selected candidate had to back out and the suggested list of replacement candidates includes Leavers

Only Labour have been within an asses roar of the Tories there, ever.

On that lineup... probably Lib Dems as he'd have the best chance; but it depends who Labour run. Preferential voting would change that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm in London, specifically a very safe Labour seat so it won't matter. I think this is a tad early as we don't know how Labour will campaign but it will be either them or the Lib Dems.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

In GB tactical voting to keep Johnson & his cronies out. Don't know much about voting in NI but would like to punish the party who failed to accept that the majority voted to remain. I don't see any point in voting for a party who refuse to use their parlimentary power.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I find it strange that so far in this poll most people - on an Irish forum - would want the Lib Dems to win, thus scuppering the proposal that our government and the other 26 states of the EU have signed off on with the British, and plunging us back into more uncertainty. Since the announcement of the agreement, both Labour and the Lib Dems have been using DUP-speak in deriding the 'border in the sea' and have been openly courting that party to suit their own ends.

I despise the Tories and what they stand for, and think Johnson is a charlatan who cares about nothing other than himself, and if this were an election on issues besides Brexit, I myself would likely be choosing between Labour and the Lib Dems; but as the saying goes, politics makes strange bedfellows, and surely it is in Ireland's best interests now to see Johnson and the Tories win as many seats as possible and be in a position to pass a deal at long last.

Paisley asked Johnson if he would be campaigning at the general election on the basis of seeking a mandate for the deal he agreed with the EU 27, and Johnson confirmed that he would be - much to Paisley's disgust. Therefore, if Johnson returned with a majority, which is admittedly a long shot, he could get his deal over the line which would be satisfactory to our interests.

I have sympathy with those across the water that will be affected by this deal, which I don't think will do the UK good in the long run, but in the same way they put their interests before ours, we must do the same. After all, we never asked for any of this.

My hope is that the SNP clean up in Scotland and thus boost their claim for another independence referendum. I hope the DUP suffer losses in NI. And in England - as much as I feel like needing a shower for writing this - I want the Tories to have a strong showing which gives Johnson a mandate for the UK/EU deal. While Corbyn seems a principled fellow, he has shown himself to be hopelessly out of his depth, and a poor showing will likely see him resign and a competent option like Starmer emerge to succeed him, which would be better for British politics going forward.

I don't think there is an ideal scenario, but the above seems to me to be the least worst option.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I find it strange that so far in this poll most people - on an Irish forum - would want the Lib Dems to win, thus scuppering the proposal that our government and the other 26 states of the EU have signed off on with the British, and plunging us back into more uncertainty.

Certainty is overrated - Johnson's deal will certainly blow a big hole in the Uk economy, and risks tariffs on Irish goods from Jan. 2021, both of which would be bad for us in Ireland.

The LibDems, on the other hand, would revoke A50 and go back to business as usual, very good for us in Ireland.

Also good for our neighbours, the ordinary people of the UK, who despite their current dislike of the EU do not deserve another recession and more austerity inflicted on them by the Tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

The reality is that this election is solely about Brexit - Tactical voting by remainers, 2nd referendum supporters will have to take place otherwise we will have a Tory majority and and ram through of the hard/no deal Brexit that the ERG have been after.
    I voted Labour 2 years ago even though I think Corbyn is a poor leader and will never win a majority, from a tactical point of view it was the right vote, This time around I may have to change, I have moved to a different constituency and I might even end up voting independent, it will be anyone but Tory/Brexit party depending on who has the best chance. Oddly I voted lib dem in the European & Local elections as that was the best tactical vote so I suspect like me it will be a horses for courses approach for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

endabob1 wrote: »
    The reality is that this election is solely about Brexit - Tactical voting by remainers, 2nd referendum supporters will have to take place otherwise we will have a Tory majority and and ram through of the hard/no deal Brexit that the ERG have been after.
    I voted Labour 2 years ago even though I think Corbyn is a poor leader and will never win a majority, from a tactical point of view it was the right vote, This time around I may have to change, I have moved to a different constituency and I might even end up voting independent, it will be anyone but Tory/Brexit party depending on who has the best chance. Oddly I voted lib dem in the European & Local elections as that was the best tactical vote so I suspect like me it will be a horses for courses approach for a lot of people.

Well not exactly
    A Tory majority would result in the ratification of the current withdraw agreement from earlier this month.

As Brexit goes, that's not bad for Ireland.

Revoking A50 or even getting another referendum would be long shots.

Remember,can lot of Labour MPs come from Leave constituencies.
    A Labour lead government would mean more of what we have seen for the last few years, i.e. too many factions to come to an agreement.

And as for the LibDems they would never have enough support for a full revokation of A50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I find it strange that so far in this poll most people - on an Irish forum - would want the Lib Dems to win, thus scuppering the proposal that our government and the other 26 states of the EU have signed off on with the British, and plunging us back into more uncertainty. Since the announcement of the agreement, both Labour and the Lib Dems have been using DUP-speak in deriding the 'border in the sea' and have been openly courting that party to suit their own ends.

I despise the Tories and what they stand for, and think Johnson is a charlatan who cares about nothing other than himself, and if this were an election on issues besides Brexit, I myself would likely be choosing between Labour and the Lib Dems; but as the saying goes, politics makes strange bedfellows, and surely it is in Ireland's best interests now to see Johnson and the Tories win as many seats as possible and be in a position to pass a deal at long last.

Paisley asked Johnson if he would be campaigning at the general election on the basis of seeking a mandate for the deal he agreed with the EU 27, and Johnson confirmed that he would be - much to Paisley's disgust. Therefore, if Johnson returned with a majority, which is admittedly a long shot, he could get his deal over the line which would be satisfactory to our interests.

I have sympathy with those across the water that will be affected by this deal, which I don't think will do the UK good in the long run, but in the same way they put their interests before ours, we must do the same. After all, we never asked for any of this.

My hope is that the SNP clean up in Scotland and thus boost their claim for another independence referendum. I hope the DUP suffer losses in NI. And in England - as much as I feel like needing a shower for writing this - I want the Tories to have a strong showing which gives Johnson a mandate for the UK/EU deal. While Corbyn seems a principled fellow, he has shown himself to be hopelessly out of his depth, and a poor showing will likely see him resign and a competent option like Starmer emerge to succeed him, which would be better for British politics going forward.

I don't think there is an ideal scenario, but the above seems to me to be the least worst option.

Any Brexit is bad for Ireland.

It is in Ireland's best interest to see the Lib Dems elected and pursuing at worst a soft Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

In England whoever had the best chance of beating the Tories and in order of preference:

Lib Dems
    Labour

In NI whoever had the best chance of beating the DUP and in order of preference:

SDLP
    Sinn Féin
    Alliance

In Wales whoever had the best chance of beating the Tories and in order of preference:

Plaid Cymru
    Lib Dems
    Labour

Inquitus wrote: »
    In NI whoever had the best chance of beating the DUP and in order of preference:

SDLP
    Sinn Féin
    Alliance

Thats incorrect

In all honesty if you are anti sinn fien thats fine - im not a sinn feiner here

But your analysis is wrong, if it is who has the best chance of beating the incumbent tory/dup - in northern ireland its sinn fein

Is this meant to reflect who would do more damage to brexit in the HOC?

if it is then remove SF from this as they wont be sitting in their seats

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

liamtech wrote: »
    Thats incorrect

In all honesty if you are anti sinn fien thats fine - im not a sinn feiner here

But your analysis is wrong, if it is who has the best chance of beating the incumbent tory/dup - in northern ireland its sinn fein

Is this meant to reflect who would do more damage to brexit in the HOC?

if it is then remove SF from this as they wont be sitting in their seats

???

He stated that is his preference, but whoever required. In Belfast South the SDLP have the best chance for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Well I will be voting, us Irish in the UK do get a say. It may cut the votes but I think the lib Dems have a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well, this thread already shows how this is going to be a defacto Brexit vote while not being a referendum, thus once again belittling the democratic process exactly as Jess Philips outlined yesterday.

It's over 13 minutes long but the gist of it is that it is a 'General' Election and yet it will be fought over ambiguity with politicians being able to say afterwards that a vote for them was a vote for whatever they want it to be.

The UK should be very concerned to see their governance fall apart like this.

L1011 wrote: »
    ???

He stated that is his preference, but whoever required. In Belfast South the SDLP have the best chance for instance.

ok well that isn't at all clear - my apologies if that was his intention

but i read that as his opinion of who has the better chances of toppling DUP/Tory Seats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Well I will be voting, us Irish in the UK do get a say. It may cut the votes but I think the lib Dems have a good story.

If Lib Dems can actually win in your constituency, fair enough, depends on who has the best historical record versus the Tories, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Well not exactly
    A Tory majority would result in the ratification of the current withdraw agreement from earlier this month.

As Brexit goes, that's not bad for Ireland.

Revoking A50 or even getting another referendum would be long shots.

Remember,can lot of Labour MPs come from Leave constituencies.
    A Labour lead government would mean more of what we have seen for the last few years, i.e. too many factions to come to an agreement.

And as for the LibDems they would never have enough support for a full revokation of A50.

You are a more trusting man than I am if you think that Boris will simply pass his legislation and that will be that.
    I fully expect a detour if Boris gets a workable majority and to get a parliamentary majority is a weird thing

May actually increased her vote by a reasonable amount but lost her majority

Blair won a "landslide" in 1997 with 43% of the vote by comparison May got 42% and lost her majority

I was here in 1997 and there was a massive push for tactical voting to get the tories out.
    The remain 2nd referendum campaign seems pretty organised Two 1m+ marches suggest that there is enough of a core base to get tactical voting organised, with web sites etc...
    My guess and give their performance in local and European elections is that we will see a push for the lib dems in more affluent areas and they will probably pick up 30-40 seats which will make it very difficult for Boris to get a majority unless, and this is the caveat here Labour are wiped out in the north of England by Farage's mob. I read somewhere that if 30% of remainers vote tactically Boris wouldn't get a majority, not sure how reliable that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Depending on the area Conservative or the brexit party , the brexit party would only be if it was farage’s stomping ground, would like to see him get a seat in parliment.

Bercow v farage would be its own television show

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Depending on Labour's stance on a People's Vote, I think it will be either them or the Liberal Democrats. I live in a safe Labour seat so I doubt my vote will make much difference. They seem to be committed now but I'll wait for confirmation.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Given the way things are over there, I would genuinely consider voting for Lord Buckethead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

With FPTP it totally depends on constituency.

I'd vote SNP if in Scotland, Green if in Brighton, Alliance in NI, otherwise Labour. Unless it's a Lib Dem / Tory marginal then I'd be reluctantly forced to vote Lib.

I chose Labour in the poll above because overall they're the ones I'd want to form a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

quokula wrote: »
    I chose Labour in the poll above because overall they're the ones I'd want to form a government.

Likewise - the Tories are an ongoing disaster, both for bringing us Brexit and ignoring everything else for years, and Labour are the only realistic alternative.

But constituency by constituency, the important thing is to keep the Tories out, so I'd vote for whoever has the best chance of beating the local Tory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

As someone who'd really like to see the UK stay in the EU, I'd vote tactically based on who the candidate with the most realistic chance of beating the Tories is. My preferences would be Green (only a chance if you live in part of Brighton!) or Labour, but I would vote Lib Dem if necessary despite misgivings about the direction that party is going in. The simple truth is that the only attainable way Brexit can now be avoided is by a Labour lead government. I'm not saying it's likely to happen (it probably isn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If Lib Dems can actually win in your constituency, fair enough, depends on who has the best historical record versus the Tories, of course.

therin lies the problem, I am in a labour strong seat borough. Lib dems second and then tories

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

therin lies the problem, I am in a labour strong seat borough. Lib dems second and then tories

Then vote as you please, as either party would make a second referendum more likely.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I will never understand how DUP and SF do so well in the North.

Both parties are responsible for Stormont remaining closed.
    The DUP only care about their own narrow base and are even at odds with much of that base.
    SF represent northern voters in neither Stormont or HoC.

People will vote en masse for these parties and will then complain about Stormont not being open.

Completely dysfunctional political scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I will never understand how DUP and SF do so well in the North.

Both parties are responsible for Stormont remaining closed.
    The DUP only care about their own narrow base and are even at odds with much of that base.
    SF represent northern voters in neither Stormont or HoC.

People will vote en masse for these parties and will then complain about Stormont not being open.

Completely dysfunctional political scene.

There's probably a very large element of the vote for both parties being solely motivated to thwart the other.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

There's probably a very large element of the vote for both parties being solely motivated to thwart the other.

Possibly so, but its like shooting yourself in foot just so the other crowd can't shoot you in the foot first.

Sadly I don't think anything will ever change up there.

Lucky the SDLP and UUP led the way to the GFA, for all the thanks they got.

Anyways, you get the politicians and politics you deserve at the end of the day, and NI certainly has got that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement