Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What highly owned players haven’t delivered yet?

• 30-10-2019 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Just observing an awful lot of players seem to chop and change their teams and get rid of players mistakenly to rush in players who’ve had one or two good weeks and then only offer blanks. Like expecting a crap team like Norwich to have Pukki banging in goals every week being an obvious example. Pukki is a very good player but he plays for a crap team so expecting big hauls consistently is not going to happen.

Therefore players like Grealish and Pulisic were got rid of by most managers by the time they delivered.

What I’m trying to think of is what valued players haven’t delivered yet and will they deliver running up to Christmas In the way Pulisic and Grealish have?

My list is

Fraser
    Jota
    Pepe
    Zaha
    Alli
    Eriksen
    Lingard
    Glenn Murray

Of the above list I think Jota offers the best value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Surely Raúl Jiminez?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

callaway92 wrote: »
    Surely Raúl Jiminez?

Maybe but he’s on more points than Son (43>41) so he’s doing ok. I’m kind of referring to lads who haven’t really caught fire at all.

Siguardsson and Digne probably as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Digne delivered for the first few weeks. Everton have terrible fixtures coming up.

But he should be getting more attacking points considering his role

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Digne delivered for the first few weeks. Everton have terrible fixtures coming up.

But he should be getting more attacking points considering his role

Yeah he’s arguable either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Just observing an awful lot of players seem to chop and change their teams and get rid of players mistakenly to rush in players who’ve had one or two good weeks and then only offer blanks. Like expecting a crap team like Norwich to have Pukki banging in goals every week being an obvious example. Pukki is a very good player but he plays for a crap team so expecting big hauls consistently is not going to happen.

Therefore players like Grealish and Pulisic were got rid of by most managers by the time they delivered.

What I’m trying to think of is what valued players haven’t delivered yet and will they deliver running up to Christmas In the way Pulisic and Grealish have?

My list is

Fraser
    Jota
    Pepe
    Zaha
    Alli
    Eriksen
    Lingard
    Glenn Murray

Of the above list I think Jota offers the best value.

Why was Grealish compared to Pukki in terms of crap teams? It reads that you're saying Grealish was always going to haul big because he plays for a good team?

There is also a lot of other factors involved. Fixtures being a main one. Of the list you made there's a lot of valid reasons for them.

Fraser - Expected more.
    Jota - Europa League
    Pepe - New Signing
    Zaha - Expected more
    Alli - Spurs ongoing issues. Been sh1te for over a year
    Eriksen - Spurs ongoing issues. Doesn't even want to be at the club
    Lingard - Does he even play?
    Glenn Murray Expected more.

Why was Grealish compared to Pukki in terms of crap teams? It reads that you're saying Grealish was always going to haul big because he plays for a good team?

There is also a lot of other factors involved. Fixtures being a main one. Of the list you made there's a lot of valid reasons for them.

Fraser - Expected more.
    Jota - Europa League
    Pepe - New Signing
    Zaha - Expected more
    Alli - Spurs ongoing issues. Been sh1te for over a year
    Eriksen - Spurs ongoing issues. Doesn't even want to be at the club
    Lingard - Does he even play?
    Glenn Murray Expected more.

I think Grealish and Pukki will both haul big but it’s just the approach a lot of managers take to bring in Pukki when the chances of him being able to maintain those numbers from early season were low when he has such a bad team around him.

Basically it seems manager’s just bring in whoever is going well in the first few weeks and now after 10 weeks basically every player is pulling the weight of their price apart from the few I mentioned so was there any real point running to the early season trailblazers after 2 or 3 weeks.

Does it actually cost a lot of teams points? I basically think a lot of players make far too many transfers to put a point in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I think Grealish and Pukki will both haul big but it’s just the approach a lot of managers take to bring in Pukki when the chances of him being able to maintain those numbers from early season were low when he has such a bad team around him.

Basically it seems manager’s just bring in whoever is going well in the first few weeks and now after 10 weeks basically every player is pulling the weight of their price apart from the few I mentioned so was there any real point running to the early season trailblazers after 2 or 3 weeks.

Does it actually cost a lot of teams points? I basically think a lot of players make far too many transfers to put a point in it.

So in your first post you say Pukki is a very good player but he plays for a crap team so expecting big hauls consistently is not going to happen. Surely the same applies to Grealish?

Then you say that you expect Grealish and Pukki to both haul big?

To put into perspective Pukki had 49 points in the first 5 weeks. As you expected a big haul I assume you had him in since GW1. Grealish had 14 points in this period.

GW6-10 Grealish scored 29 points. Pukki scored a total of 8.

So essentailly Grealish was sh1te for 5 weeks, Pukki sh1te for 5 weeks. Managers bring in players who are good at the time.

Sterling will likely score 200-250+ points this season. Put he could be crap for a few games and then go on run and rack up 70 points in 5 weeks.

Your point boils down to ''Is taking hits worth it?'' and the only way for you to know that is if you track it. I tracked mine last year for a few weeks and mine was positive of about +4-6 points.

This year I have only taken my first hit now after GW10 for a -4.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Siggy is the big one for me, he's had a wretched season. I had high hopes for Perez aswell who hasn't delivered, except for his recent hat trick to make a liar out of me.

Advertisement