Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So that's "your thing" now is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

17 September: 5 x 1K at 5K pace, 3 min recovery
    Can't really say I was looking forward to this, but it turned out more comfortable than I thought. Headed to Marlay after work to use the path by the house as it's pretty flat the closest thing I have to a track.
    Target was somewhere close to 4:10 per rep. I found the first one a bit of a struggle, but after that seemed to tune into the pace and found it a bit easier. Splits were 4:11, 4:09, 4:08, 4:04, 4:08

18 September: 8 miles GA at 8:56 pace. Avg HR 128
    Very relaxed run and didn't feel anything from Tuesday's session. Meant to be 11 miles, but an urgent need of a toilet meant I had to head home!

20 September: 5 miles recovery at 9:20. Avg HR 127
    A nice easy run down the canal.

21 September: 18.5 miles total incl Dublin HM at MP
    Made sure I got to PP nice an early and parked near the zoo. An easy warmup up first, 4.4 miles at 9:26 pace. The sun was out, but it wasn't as warm as the 10 mile a few weeks ago.
    Plan for the race was to run at 3:20 marathon pace and I figured this would be around 7:34 per mile taking into account the extra distance covered. Started out a little back from the 1:40 pacers and ended up following them all the way until I passed them with about 800m to go.
    One thing I did right in this race, maybe because I wasn't "racing", was to take my time in the first few miles and not try to run around people. Splits for the first 4 were 7:36, 7:37, 7:35, 7:38 so nice and controlled. Other than that I just rolled with the hills and followed the pacers. Made a point of running mile 13 at pace (7:36) to confirm that I had something left. Finished in 1:38:57 and I'd certainly take that for the 2nd half of DCM.

22 September: 3 mile rec

42 miles for the week.

24 September: 5x600m at 5K pace, 1:45 recovery. Total 7.5 miles
    Found a nice nearly flat stretch for the repeats. The session as a whole felt comfortable, easier than the last time I did the same session 2 weeks ago.
    Splits: 2:26, 2:29, 2:24, 2:24, 2:25

25 September: 10 miles at avg 9:17. Avg HR 131
    Commute with a diversion via Terenure to add some miles. Kept HR steady for the whole run, dropping the pace on the last few uphill miles.

27 September: 4 mile recovery at 9:20. Avg HR 124
    It is what it is, nothing else to report.

28 September: 9.3 miles steady-ish at 8:36. Avg HR 130
    The plan called for a tune-up race, but I couldn't even get up on time for the parkrun. Decided to run this at the faster end of long run pace to tire myself out a bit for the long run on Sunday.

29 September: 17.3 miles at 8:47. Avg HR 129
    Left it late to run this one. Ran mostly at the middle of long run pace range. All felt great until mile 13 when I felt a bit light-headed. Slowed down for a bit and it went by the start of mile 14. I need to take more care around fuelling before a long run. Didn't take any gels with me on this, but I could have done with one this time, even for placebo.
    I also had a bad case of chafing near both armpits on this run. Strange as I was wearing a compression top and I've never had that before.

48 miles for the week.

1 October: 6.9 miles recovery at 9:34. Avg HR 121
    Kept the pace very easy knowing the week would get harder.

2 October: 4 x 1200m off 3:30 recovery. Total 8.7miles
    A lunchtime session. Easy run down to Sandymount and ran the reps along the strand and back a couple of times. #1 & #3 were easier with the breeze at my back, but it was a bit tougher coming back. As usual I struggled a bit getting the pace right on the first rep. Overall though I was surprised how comfortable this felt.
    Splits: 5:04, 4:55, 4:57, 4:57

3 October: 11.3 miles at 9:08. Avg HR 128
    5 laps around Sandyford Business Park. Not the most inspring place to run, but it's local and relatively traffic-free at 8pm.

5 October: 21.2 miles at avg 8:25. Avg HR 142
    The last long-long run before taper. Rather than run the P&D "finish strong" long run I wanted to run the main DCM drags at marathon pace. It started raining as soon as I got off the Luas at Stephens Green and didn't stop.
    First 3 mile pace section started on Aughrim St, into the park and up Chesterfield. 7:31, 7:43, 7:30. All a bit too fast really and I'll have to make sure I start slower in 3 weeks.
    Second section from Rialto taking in Crumlin Rd and through Walkinstown. 7:40, 7:42, 7:35.
    Last section through Milltown and taking in Clonskeagh Rd. 7:37, 7:31, 7:29.
    All a bit fast really, but encouraging as I still felt good in last 3 miles home.

First week of taper so I went all out and had a bucket load of guinness on Monday night. That set me up nicely for the planned 5x600m session on Tuesday!

8 October: 5x600m 3x600m off 1:45 rec. Total 4.5 miles
    This is not how a trained athlete behaves! Attempted this after work and all was going well until the end of the 2nd rep when my stomach decided it didn't want to play ball. Managed one more and a pretty uncomfortable jog back to the car.
    Splits I did finish: 2:29, 2:27, 2:30. No more big nights out.

9 October: 6.5 miles recovery at 9:25. Avg HR 126
    Maybe a bit fast for recovery as it was uphill for most of the run, but all nice and relaxed.

11 October: 4.3 miles recovery at 9:26. Avg HR 121
    Lunchtime run along the canal. Same pace as Wednesday, but this one felt way easier.

12 October: 7.3 miles steady at 8:20. Avg HR 133
    The plan had a 5-9 mile tune up race plus wu/cd, but I didn't have time for anything like that. First mile easy then ran by feel, ranging from 7:50 to 8:30 pace. I don't mind cutting down a little more than the plan during taper so this was a nice session at this time.

13 October: 13 miles easy at 8:58. Avg HR 127
    Shortened the planned 16 miles. First run during taper where I've actually felt fresh so that's positive. Noticed today that Garmin shows my VO2 max is now 58 which is the highest it's been. Not sure how accurate it is, but it's another positive and maybe confirms how well this training block has gone so far. I'm convinced the Tuesday VO2 max sessions have made a big impact.

35 miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'll have to get a Garmin that shows VO2 max. The app I use has me at 42! I know it would be low considering my fitness level but I have never gotten over 51 on it.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll have to get a Garmin that shows VO2 max. The app I use has me at 42! I know it would be low considering my fitness level but I have never gotten over 51 on it.

Pretty sure Garmin would show you over 42 now and way over 51 last year.
    What app are you using? I might try it just to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Garmin has me 8-9 points higher than Runalyze if that gives you any indication! I don't imagine either of them are very accurate but like with most things it's the trend i look at and if it's upward then that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

ariana` wrote: »
    Garmin has me 8-9 points higher than Runalyze if that gives you any indication! I don't imagine either of them are very accurate but like with most things it's the trend i look at and if it's upward then that's good.

Runalyze uses a manual correction factor when determining VO2max. You can just set it to 1 under "Configuration -> General Settings", then on the popup, click on "VO2max estimation" and enter a value of 1 for it. The values still won't be the exact same as Garmin, but they should be much closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Runalyze uses a manual correction factor when determining VO2max. You can just set it to 1 under "Configuration -> General Settings", then on the popup, click on "VO2max estimation" and enter a value of 1 for it. The values still won't be the exact same as Garmin, but they should be much closer.
    It does and just knocked 10 mins off my projected marathon time... shame i'm not doing DCM.

Sorry for the log hijack :o

15 October: 5 miles recovery at 9:26. Avg HR 127
    Heart rate was a little higher than usual, but I'll put that down to the wind.

16 October: 3 x 1 mile (5K pace) off 5 min recovery. 9 miles total
    The last session of the plan with any pace, apart from the 2 miles MP next Tuesday that is. Headed down to Sandymount Strand at lunchtime as it's a decent place to get an uninterrupted session in. I was a bit concerned with the wind, but it turned out to be more of a cross-breeze so no excuses.
    Splits were 6:38, 6:32, 6:38. Happy enough with how it went, hard but not a killer.
    Decided to head back to work via the marathon finish. Logged the distance from the RDS to work so my last run next week wil be a short easy one to collect my number.

Just realised I get this Saturday off. Gotta love the taper.

• Advertisement

19 October: 3 mile recovery at 9:20. Avg HR 125

20 October: 10.4 miles easy at 9:06. Avg HR 124
    Didn't pay any attention to the watch, just ran.

27 miles for the week.
    Only planning 3 runs this week. 5 rec on Tuesday, 5-6 with 2@MP Wednesday, 3-4 rec to the expo and back on Friday.
    Goal for Sunday: Fortunately (or unfortunately) I move into a new age band next year so Sunday represents my first realistic chance of a BQ (for 2021). From what I've read 3:23 was good enough for 2020, but I'd like to get closer to 3:20 (and possibly under) to make sure. I'll be starting at the back of wave 1 anyway and hanging back from the pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

A good aim to have A; BQ for 2021 definitely feels like a realistic target.

Best of luck on Sunday A. The training has gone great and there's no reason not to nail that BQ. Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Best of luck on Sunday:)

Best of luck on Sunday A. The training has gone great and there's no reason not to nail that BQ. Run well.
    Best of luck on Sunday:)

Thanks, just want to get started now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Run well tomorrow A; you have the hard miles in the legs.....bring on the BQ time!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Best of luck tomorrow A. Fingers crossed you get the BQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck for the BQ, but either way have a great race. Run well.

Thanks all. Everyone off the interweb now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good luck today A .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Fantastic. Well done.

Dublin Marathon 2019

With my big birthday next year this was my first chance to attempt a qualifying time for Boston 2021. Well, the first racewhere I had a realistic chance. 3:25 is the qualifying time, but I knew that you needed to be 1:39 faster for 2020. Hopefully it's not a massive change for 2021. Anyway, I trained for 3:20 and that was the A goal here.

Woke up very early on Sunday with a sore throat. What the hell? No problem though, I felt great and it wouldn't affect my race. Porridge and half a bagel for breakfast along with 250ml of Hi5 drink. Got the first Luas into town, all very relaxed. Even the delay going through the bag check didn't worry me. Stripped to shorts, kept the old hoodie on, dropped the bag in and headed for the wave 1 start area. Time seemed to fly here and before I knew it we were starting.

10K: 48:37 (plan 48:16). Stage Pos 2932
    I'd made a pace band for a conservative first 7 miles with the first being 7:48. I hung back from the 3:20 pacers, but was surprised how boxed in I was in the first mile. Decided to just bide my time, but I crossed mile 1 in 8:07. 20 seconds down on plan. The rest of this first section was pretty much on plan, but I decided not to try and make up any of that 20 seconds while climbing. Took a few sips of water and a gel at the first water station, but skipped water at mile 5. As we passed the 10K mat I already knew I was in much better shape than last year.

20K: 1:35:49 (plan 1:35:17). Stage Pos 2710
    Up through Casteltknock, the crowds at Myos were amazing once again. On plan again for these miles. I picked up the pace a bit going down Tower Hill and again through the park. Nothing mad though, I was still happy enough to be slightly behind plan and didn't want to burn myself out. Gels at miles 7 and 10.
    Took it easy up St Laurences hill and was surprised how many people were powering past me. I took my time at the top before getting back up to planned pace.

30K: 2:23:25 (plan 2:22:19) - Half 1:40:45 (plan 1:40:30). Stage Pos 2442
    I was pretty sure my watch showed 1:41:xx as I went through halway, but maybe that was just me. Slowed down too much in mile 14 up Crumlin Rd, logging 7:59 on the watch. Again, I wasn't too stressed here, still feeling very strong and just preparing for the faster stretch from Walkinstown to Milltown. I didn't however pick up the pace enough. I still felt good, but I was averaging 7:37 splits where my plan here was for around 7:32. Gels at 13 and 16.

40K: 3:11:18 (plan 3:09:00). Stage Pos 2102
    I flew threw Orwell Rd/Park, down through Milltown and onto Clonskeagh Rd with 3 miles at 7:27, 7:26, 7:36. Saw the family by the Dropping Well and even they said I was flying. I had planned to ease off a little on mile 22, but this turned out to be a 7:56 mile, slower than planned. Now my hamstrings were really feeling it. Up heartbreak hill and as I ran down Fosters I could feel my legs running out of energy. Miles 23 and 24, were at 7:42 pace, but it was a struggle to keep that going. I was passing plenty of people on this stretch though and that gave me the incentive to keep pushing. Last 2 gels at 19 and 21.

Finsh: 3:22:10 (plan 3:19:30). Chip Pos 2054
    Turning onto Merrion Rd I noticed straight away a breeze was against us. That was a real "oh sh*t" moment. Running on empty at this stage, hamstrings burning,but the BQ time kept me pushing. Crowds were amazing here. Better than previous years? All I could manage though were miles of 7:58, 7:53 and the final 0.35 miles (according to watch) at 7:37 pace.

So, a 5:41 PB and a time that should hopefully be good enough for Boston 2021. I can honestly say I left everything out there and couldn't have done any more. In hindsight though I think I should have started with the 3:20 pacers and at least let them lead me through the first 2 miles on pace. Maybe having them in view would have pulled me along as I definitely allowed myself to drift off pace at various points. The sore throat has now turned into a cough & cold, but the legs are starting to recover.

Plans: A couple of weeks with no running at all. I'm then in for Donedea 50K in February, but that's just to finish, hopefully in around 4:30-4:45. I might look to do Manchester again in April (or maybe Rotterdam) to get that BQ time down a bit more on a flatter course. Oh, apparently I'm entering a lottery for DCM as well.

Dublin Marathon 2019

With my big birthday next year this was my first chance to attempt a qualifying time for Boston 2021. Well, the first racewhere I had a realistic chance. 3:25 is the qualifying time, but I knew that you needed to be 1:39 faster for 2020. Hopefully it's not a massive change for 2021. Anyway, I trained for 3:20 and that was the A goal here.

Woke up very early on Sunday with a sore throat. What the hell? No problem though, I felt great and it wouldn't affect my race. Porridge and half a bagel for breakfast along with 250ml of Hi5 drink. Got the first Luas into town, all very relaxed. Even the delay going through the bag check didn't worry me. Stripped to shorts, kept the old hoodie on, dropped the bag in and headed for the wave 1 start area. Time seemed to fly here and before I knew it we were starting.

10K: 48:37 (plan 48:16). Stage Pos 2932
    I'd made a pace band for a conservative first 7 miles with the first being 7:48. I hung back from the 3:20 pacers, but was surprised how boxed in I was in the first mile. Decided to just bide my time, but I crossed mile 1 in 8:07. 20 seconds down on plan. The rest of this first section was pretty much on plan, but I decided not to try and make up any of that 20 seconds while climbing. Took a few sips of water and a gel at the first water station, but skipped water at mile 5. As we passed the 10K mat I already knew I was in much better shape than last year.

20K: 1:35:49 (plan 1:35:17). Stage Pos 2710
    Up through Casteltknock, the crowds at Myos were amazing once again. On plan again for these miles. I picked up the pace a bit going down Tower Hill and again through the park. Nothing mad though, I was still happy enough to be slightly behind plan and didn't want to burn myself out. Gels at miles 7 and 10.
    Took it easy up St Laurences hill and was surprised how many people were powering past me. I took my time at the top before getting back up to planned pace.

30K: 2:23:25 (plan 2:22:19) - Half 1:40:45 (plan 1:40:30). Stage Pos 2442
    I was pretty sure my watch showed 1:41:xx as I went through halway, but maybe that was just me. Slowed down too much in mile 14 up Crumlin Rd, logging 7:59 on the watch. Again, I wasn't too stressed here, still feeling very strong and just preparing for the faster stretch from Walkinstown to Milltown. I didn't however pick up the pace enough. I still felt good, but I was averaging 7:37 splits where my plan here was for around 7:32. Gels at 13 and 16.

40K: 3:11:18 (plan 3:09:00). Stage Pos 2102
    I flew threw Orwell Rd/Park, down through Milltown and onto Clonskeagh Rd with 3 miles at 7:27, 7:26, 7:36. Saw the family by the Dropping Well and even they said I was flying. I had planned to ease off a little on mile 22, but this turned out to be a 7:56 mile, slower than planned. Now my hamstrings were really feeling it. Up heartbreak hill and as I ran down Fosters I could feel my legs running out of energy. Miles 23 and 24, were at 7:42 pace, but it was a struggle to keep that going. I was passing plenty of people on this stretch though and that gave me the incentive to keep pushing. Last 2 gels at 19 and 21.

Finsh: 3:22:10 (plan 3:19:30). Chip Pos 2054
    Turning onto Merrion Rd I noticed straight away a breeze was against us. That was a real "oh sh*t" moment. Running on empty at this stage, hamstrings burning,but the BQ time kept me pushing. Crowds were amazing here. Better than previous years? All I could manage though were miles of 7:58, 7:53 and the final 0.35 miles (according to watch) at 7:37 pace.

So, a 5:41 PB and a time that should hopefully be good enough for Boston 2021. I can honestly say I left everything out there and couldn't have done any more. In hindsight though I think I should have started with the 3:20 pacers and at least let them lead me through the first 2 miles on pace. Maybe having them in view would have pulled me along as I definitely allowed myself to drift off pace at various points. The sore throat has now turned into a cough & cold, but the legs are starting to recover.

Plans: A couple of weeks with no running at all. I'm then in for Donedea 50K in February, but that's just to finish, hopefully in around 4:30-4:45. I might look to do Manchester again in April (or maybe Rotterdam) to get that BQ time down a bit more on a flatter course. Oh, apparently I'm entering a lottery for DCM as well.

Brilliant stuff A. Great strong run. I gave you a shout near the end but you were in the pain zone. Best of luck getting into Boston with it. Hopefully it will be enough. That PB is dropping in chunks, well done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good stuff there. I know Murph_D was asking for ye in the pub.

Time of year with the throat and cough.

Brilliant stuff A. Great strong run. I gave you a shout near the end but you were in the pain zone. Best of luck getting into Boston with it. Hopefully it will be enough. That PB is dropping in chunks, well done.

Thanks S. Sorry I missed you, but yeah I was definitely in a different place at that point.

Good stuff there. I know Murph_D was asking for ye in the pub.

Time of year with the throat and cough.

Thanks B. I should have popped in for a pint really, could have done with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Great race and report-thanks for the advice during this training block

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Congrats on a fantastic time. Fingers crossed for Boston:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great report, congrats on the PB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant race and PB A. Enjoyed that read. Best of luck with the Boston qualy!

Advertisement