Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i must ping them and see if they'd be interested in a few old chains and a cassette or two i have. they may be swimming in the stuff, though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i must ping them and see if they'd be interested in a few old chains and a cassette or two i have. they may be swimming in the stuff, though.

I've been into their workshop as I was looking for a very specific fork and asked if they had one (apaprently they've loads of stuff stored somewhere, just not organised)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know a couple of the lads up there to say hello to, but not the bike chap - i was having a look at their woodwork shop, and there was a nice old steel eddy mercxk on the stand in the bike workshop next door. i think it belongs to the guy who runs the bike end of things.

they were swamped with old bikes when i asked about two years ago; as you say, most of it they had not even had time to sort through and grade.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

it'd be very basic, beginners level maintenance though.

Yeah but you would definitely learn something. I'm **** at adjusting front derailleurs, plus who knows, I probably do some things that you really shouldn't

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i know a couple of the lads up there to say hello to, but not the bike chap - i was having a look at their woodwork shop, and there was a nice old steel eddy mercxk on the stand in the bike workshop next door. i think it belongs to the guy who runs the bike end of things.

they were swamped with old bikes when i asked about two years ago; as you say, most of it they had not even had time to sort through and grade.

They had a Canyon frame ready to be built up when I was there, meant to drop back to see if it ever made it the shop floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Something about a new pedestrian group wanting cyclists to wear "identity badges":
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-pedestrian-group-calls-for-cyclists-to-wear-identity-badges-while-in-motion-1.4059557

The Irish Times, naturally, give the headline and the first paragraph to this arrant BS, when the group actually has some very sensible suggestions .

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Something about a new pedestrian group wanting cyclists to wear "identity badges":
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-pedestrian-group-calls-for-cyclists-to-wear-identity-badges-while-in-motion-1.4059557

The Irish Times, naturally, give the headline and the first paragraph to this arrant BS, when the group actually has some very sensible suggestions .

I'd love to know the sequence of their suggestions. Wonder was IT piece from a Press Release and is the framing of the order of priorities the Ped Rights spin or the I T's. As u say, daft suggestion, vast majority of their complaints, have nothing to do with cycling & are due to poor enforcement & poor prioritisation of walking/cycling.
    Really odd thing though is that there's already a ped org, The Irish Pedestrian Network. set up by now, Green Councillor, Nessa Hourigan. Have heard her speak on radio re navigating pavements with her daughter who uses a white cane so guess she knows her stuff.
    So who set up Pedestrian Rights? Were they aware of Irish Ped Network? Do they disagree with its aims or are unaware of them.
    Is it wise for a ped group to turn people who cycle into the enemy? Do they not have bigger fish to fry?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'd love to know the sequence of their suggestions. Wonder was IT piece from a Press Release and is the framing of the order of priorities the Ped Rights spin or the I T's.

I'm very much assuming that the IT singled out the most Liveline-worthy suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Surprised to hear both Eurosport presenters struggle with Eoin Mullen's name last nght.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

The hidden battlegrounds of the Internet - comments on a Google maps traffic warning for the Dublin marathon. :rolleyes:

493812.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

the marathon really does set them off.

i know someone who has a real bee in her bonnet about the marathon and triathlons closing roads. i remember her making comments along the lines of 'pandering to narcissists' in relation to the triathlon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I lived right on the route years ago. Every year you would meet someone giving out to a marshal, trying to barge out. I just have zero tolerance for stupidity. They are closed roads and I would be happy to see Gardai prosecuting anyone a marshal reports for giving hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

im glad for the marathon, closed roads always result in one thing, cleaner air, dublin never had better air than when the pope came and closed half the place down.

I live pretty much in the route, I wouldn't have any sort of major issue at all apart from the fact my neighbour and a few mates were running I'd think an ambulance needed calling at the start line

Imagine the uproar if they decided hey we have roads closed why not a run crit race or triathlon or something after the marathon and make the most of the closed roads, Joe would have some job on Monday :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

i remember her making comments along the lines of 'pandering to narcissists' in relation to the triathlon.
    Sounds fair enough to me

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Surprised to hear both Eurosport presenters struggle with Eoin Mullen's name last nght.
    I suspect you may not have heard the Indian cricket commentator referring to Ian Morgan.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Imagine the uproar if they decided hey we have roads closed why not a run crit race or triathlon or something after the marathon and make the most of the closed roads, Joe would have some job on Monday :pac:

In fairness, this happens with loads of events. Bike races, 10k runs, rallies, etc and I understand the frustration, but the funny thing is that the complainers are the narcissists. Like so many things, their “thing” is more important than the “thing” of 22,000 people.

However, having seen the aftermath, I think the odd sportive gel wrapper thrower pales in comparison to the insane amount of bottles, cups and gel wrappers along the route, despite the amount of bins provided. The road outside Crumlin SC was sticky with so much gel and lucozade spilled on the ground.

I was a marshal at the Phoenix Park Motor Races on several occasions.
    Quite often you'd have a jogger hop the crowd barrier and continue along the path; even during a race. There was no stopping them: they run there every day and no prick in an orange boiler suit was going to stop them on that day! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not even close to the stupid sh1t I imagine most of us see daily

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Finally, a cyclist whose name Sean K could provide the definitive correct pronunciation for, and they don't have him there!
    Also, I'd love to hear what Sean would make of that Polish lad the other 2 were struggling with :D

And, of course, Calla Balloon was there too!

They will be discussing allowing EV's to use Bus Lanes on Newstalk at 4.45 today. An absolutely ridiculous discussion to be having, there is no way any private vehicle should be allowed into Bus Lanes, I think Taxis should also be removed from them also.

I give it 5 minutes before cycling is mentioned in a negative light :D

• Advertisement

They will be discussing allowing EV's to use Bus Lanes on Newstalk at 4.45 today
    they carried this piece yesterday too on newstalk. maybe it riled up enough people who texted in at 30c a text to make it a good money spinner for them.

Advertisement