Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Fair points. I suppose the fact that they have now delayed 3-4 AAA games into late 2020 to "fix" the issues, is a positive step. Certainly wouldn't see EA doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp i found myself giving out about Ubi at least once a year before realising how many of their games I've bought and enjoyed that year. They do seem samey when all put together on a list like their sub service which just doesn't seem with it (especially if you've played most already) but it does take balls to admit when something isn't working and place delays to introduce changes.

Look at Anthem, i think i saw that in Argos recently for 12 euro, EA/Bioware need to just put it down and concentrate on the ME Trilogy remaster already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

ZiabR wrote: »
    Fair points. I suppose the fact that they have now delayed 3-4 AAA games into late 2020 to "fix" the issues, is a positive step. Certainly wouldn't see EA doing the same.
    Bethesda need to take a long hard look at themselves too, especially when you look at the state of Fallout 76. I'd be cautious of anything they put out in the future now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wwe 2k20 - what the hell happened there.

Vince won't be too happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ebbsy wrote: »
    Wwe 2k20 - what the hell happened there.

Vince won't be too happy with that.

Short story is that most of the previous games were developed by Yukes, but they left. This is the first one developed by Visual Concepts, and they only had about a year to throw it together.

I think they had some stuff from 2k so didn't have to start completely from scratch, but... yikes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Can't think of any I'd wanna play but at least there's a possibility for me to now via Steam's Proton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Origin must be doing better than their full sales. Would probably still prefer Origin Access tbh, cost wise.

Same with Ubi tbh, would rather just subscribe for a bit.

Google-AI assisted bans for CSGO players who use 'toxic' text: https://www.pcgamer.com/20000-toxic-csgo-players-banned-in-six-weeks-by-faceit-and-googles-new-chat-ai archive.

Talk about useless! I'd much prefer an AI to just automute players who hit a certain dB range in their mic or whose langauge is detected as non-English. But that would actually be useful so I guess it's not on the itinerary for these kinds of projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Google-AI assisted bans for CSGO players who use 'toxic' text: https://www.pcgamer.com/20000-toxic-csgo-players-banned-in-six-weeks-by-faceit-and-googles-new-chat-ai archive.

Talk about useless! I'd much prefer an AI to just automute players who hit a certain dB range in their mic or whose langauge is detected as non-English. But that would actually be useful so I guess it's not on the itinerary for these kinds of projects.

Seems pretty useful to me, if it cuts out racism, hate speech and so forth it can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    Seems pretty useful to me, if it cuts out racism, hate speech and so forth it can only be a good thing.
    It's a free to play game where users can just create a new account to completely subvert the ban. The bans are also retroactive so will absolutely not stop any kind of social interaction in real-time and you're likely never to see the same player in CSGO again whether or not they're banned... so no it's not useful. Do you play CSGO? Anybody who plays it knows any kind of griefing is done via microphone, not text which you'll barely even notice while playing and can easily ignore. Mics you actually need to go for the mute since audio is invasive to the gameplay (footsteps and weapon interaction can give away positions), either from being too loud, griefing or speaking a different langauge (likely all 3).

CSGO suffers from massive cheating problem, too. People saying bad words in the text box is literally the last thing CSGO customers give a feck about them working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

It's a free to play game where users can just create a new account to completely subvert the ban. The bans are also retroactive so will absolutely not stop any kind of social interaction in real-time and you're likely never to see the same player in CSGO again whether or not they're banned... so no it's not useful. Do you play CSGO? Anybody who plays it knows any kind of griefing is done via microphone, not text which you'll barely even notice while playing and can easily ignore. Mics you actually need to go for the mute since audio is invasive to the gameplay (footsteps and weapon interaction can give away positions), either from being too loud, griefing or speaking a different langauge (likely all 3).

CSGO suffers from massive cheating problem, too. People saying bad words in the text box is literally the last thing CSGO customers give a feck about them working on.

I don't play it, no, but getting the text system up and running would seem like the first step in implementing it for voice chat. The next step would be converting voice to text and then running it through the text system they have (albeit that would be a naïve approach). It's a step in the right direction.

I also assume this is a system that is planned to be used in other games too. As for the bans not been enough, perhaps they should be IP bans, not account bans, but that seems more like a decision by the dev/publisher and not a limitation of the system.

Useless to you maybe.

Also with this tech they could be banned faster than they can create new accounts, which lets face it, is a ball-ache, so eventually they will either stop, or quit.

PostWoke wrote: »
    Useless to you maybe.
    Useless to CSGO players. Bans are not necessary for things like trash talk. Auto-mute sure I can get behind that as long as its a user option (especially for non-English language!). I certainly don't want an enemy or team mate getting ejected from a ranked game because they said a naughty. Ranked games get screwed enough as it is with disconnects.
    Also with this tech they could be banned faster than they can create new accounts, which lets face it, is a ball-ache, so eventually they will either stop, or quit.
    Users used to buy the game over and over after getting banned before it was free to play. You've no idea how persistent bad actors can be for this title. This is just google flexing their censorship muscle anyway. They have no interest in actually improving this game for its users.
    Benzino wrote: »
    It's a step in the right direction.
    AI assisted social control has never been a step in the right direction, anywhere. I have no desire for more google mommy'ing, in general or in games I play. They can't even keep the cheaters banned and that's a technical issue: 1s and 0s yet they still struggle with it and is probably the biggest issue in the entire game affecting even tournaments. Yet still an easier problem to solve than cultural, contextual human interaction between allies and enemies. But hey non-CSGO players are all for CSGO having social issues addressed by google... post Project Veritas, it couldn't possibly be a bad idea or waste of time.

News
    Fornite leaker getting legal action against them: https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/fortnite-leaker-sued-by-epic-games-over-breach-of-contract

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

We've had developers add their competitors, memes, and anything china/Hong Kong related to swear list. So ye I don't trust them to anything other than look out for themselves.

Useless to CSGO players.

Again, maybe to you, I don't think you speak for them all though. I certainly don't want to hear that CYKA BLYYYYYYYYAT ****. Let them be banned before they even get to my ear.
    Users used to buy the game over and over after getting banned before it was free to play. You've no idea how persistent bad actors can be for this title.

Less persistent than a literal AI algo I bet.
    This is just google flexing their censorship muscle anyway. They have no interest in actually improving this game for its users.

But Valve do, and ultimately if implemented into CS it would be a Valve decision. It's their game, they get to decide their game's culture.
    AI assisted social control has never been a step in the right direction, anywhere.

Got some examples for us chief? From countries in the west obviously, CCP is a little different until Google starts coming to our doors to ghost us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So it appears the news related to EA games returning to Steam wasn't as straight forward was originally thought, it looks like it's EA Access which is going to be available on the platform, the first subscription service to do so.

EA Access and EA Games on Steam - EA and Valve Partnership

The press release is fairly light on the details so it should be interesting to see what additional info comes out over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

gizmo wrote: »
    So it appears the news related to EA games returning to Steam wasn't as straight forward was originally thought, it looks like it's EA Access which is going to be available on the platform, the first subscription service to do so.

EA Access and EA Games on Steam - EA and Valve Partnership

The press release is fairly light on the details so it should be interesting to see what additional info comes out over the next while.

You can pre-order Jedi Fallen Order https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172380/STAR_WARS_Jedi_Fallen_Order/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wonder what cut was agreed for games going forward or for the sub.

Origin still used.

I don't know who suggested it or if it was part of a humble brag from Valve but was it suggested that Steam games could be sold in the future without steamworks integration where Valve would take a lesser cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's sad that even a game of that nature makes more effort with a physical edition of a game than Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

ERG89 wrote: »
    It's sad that even a game of that nature makes more effort with a physical edition of a game than Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft do.
    Nah dude, it doesn't actually come with the 18 panties for your collection...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gizmo wrote: »
    Nah dude, it doesn't actually come with the 18 panties for your collection...

I can't remember the last game I bought that had a manual. Yet for some bizarre reason there are still spaces made for them in boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I can't remember the last game I bought that had a manual. Yet for some bizarre reason there are still spaces made for them in boxes.
    All Blu-Ray boxes have clips for a manual.

Yeah that nature, ew. Let's get back to the wholesome violence.
    Isn't it a good thing that at least some are doing quality physical releases? It looks pretty tame and chill tbh. 80s style anime VN... pretty comfy. Gave the Vita back to my sis though. I find most niche titles and VNs from Japan tend to have quality physical releases. They value their customers I guess. I'm not really one for physical releases, though.

Miyamoto gets highest artistic honor.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/10/29/shigeru-miyamoto-is-first-game-developer-recognized-as-person-of-cultural-merit-in-japan/

Playstation Vue is ded
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/10/29/sony-is-shutting-down-playstation-vue/

Nope. My suggestions are not 'balls', grow up. I don't want to hear the negativity from them, or you, when trying to enjoy myself. As do many others. Including Valve apparently. And again, no, people will not be as persistent to be assholes as a literal AI. Hell if they are, they can spend all their time making accounts instead, or they can learn how to be adults. Apparently something all CS players need to learn. Your links are also hilarious. You think instead of banning crappy CS players they'll misgender them? LMAO. These AI's have been trained for a very specific purpose. And I bet they're smart enough to at least post in the right thread...
    Yeah that nature, ew. Let's get back to the wholesome violence.

Yeah, as opposed to games for sexual deviants who don't get laid in real life.

The Vita, new releases wise, has been exclusively for people like that for over a year now. Games like Darkest Dungeon and Undertale were some of the last normie releases for that system afaik.

A pervert's money is just as good as anyone else's.

"
    Evade wrote: »
    A pervert's money is just as good as anyone else's.
    " - SCEJ

• Advertisement

"" - SCEJ
    Or any company with sense. Sony's most lucrative franchise started out as one of those game everyone seems to be afraid of for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement