Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to invest in index funds

Options
  • 28-10-2019 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have some money that is sitting idle and I want to move it long term into index funds. I have no broker and no account with any financial institution that currently that can do this for me.

How would I best start with this?

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Could try one of the Irish banks they have access to various funds run by big money managers globally with a choice of risk and investment types but you need to leave money in a few years at least to get a return. Also your taxed at 41% on any profits made when you exit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

neris wrote: »
    Could try one of the Irish banks they have access to various funds run by big money managers globally with a choice of risk and investment types but you need to leave money in a few years at least to get a return. Also your taxed at 41% on any profits made when you exit

Not only when you exist, but after 8 years regardless of if you sell no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

neris wrote: »

I was advised by an American friend of mine to invest in index funds as this would avoid these were low cost and the most stable bet over the long term, but I think the tax over there may be a lot lower and he may be unaware of the high level of taxation on such products here.

May just throw the lot in to State Savings at that rate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I was advised by an American friend of mine to invest in index funds as this would avoid these were low cost and the most stable bet over the long term, but I think the tax over there may be a lot lower and he may be unaware of the high level of taxation on such products here.

May just throw the lot in to State Savings at that rate :(

59% profit is in a different league to savings accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

You could set up a Degiro Custody Account and Purchase Blackrock iShares Core MSCI World UCITS ETF which has a
    Total Expense Ratio (TER) of 0.20%. This would be if you want full worldwide exposure at low cost.

Also Blackrock also offer an ESG version of this if that is something you prefer, it screens out exposure to Controversial Weapons, Nuclear Weapons, Tobacco, Thermal Coal, Oil Sands, UN Global Compact violators and Civilian Firearms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement