Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should we now support England in the rugby world cup ?

Options
  • 27-10-2019 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

England are our northern hemisphere ,6 nations brethren.I'm fed up with southern hemisphere sides winning it. I certainly wouldn't begrudge it to England and just to clarify I'm Irish.They play a nice brand of rugby, seem like a grounded bunch and put manners on the All Blacks.So should we support the English ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm supporting a good spectacle and I hope the best team on the day wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes, they’ve been the best team thus far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I noticed a lot of anti Welsh sentiment before today's game which I thought was strange. I wanted 2 southern hemisphere teams in the final for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I noticed a lot of anti Welsh sentiment before today's game which I thought was strange. I wanted 2 southern hemisphere teams in the final for once.
    Wales can be a bit smug on the rugby front - God-given-right smugness. It tends to rub people up the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Couldn't care at this stage.

But England will win it. That SA team are poor to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Course we should support the english, get over ourselves and accept we were not good enough to challenge this time, English are grand compared to the Scots who didnt even vote for our bid

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Im not being petty or anything..... But do we know if any of the English rugby team are direct descendents of the black & tans??

Just asking for a friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

As someone born in England even I struggle to support the English rugby team.

As someone else said hoping for a decent game unlike the first half of that Wales v South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

flanna01 wrote: »
    Im not being petty or anything..... But do we know if any of the English rugby team are direct descendents of the black & tans??

Just asking for a friend...

Yeah but for the good of the game in a world sense would it be nice to see England win it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd be happy enough to see that team win it. Cracking set of players.

But their pundits and that media nonsense that follows everything England can f**k off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭LostArt

Don't really care who wins tbh. I'd lean slightly towards SA because of how Rassie handled himself and Munster after Axel passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Thoroughly enjoyed England's performance yesterday. Would rather they win if SA continue to serve up the same scutter as today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

It absolutly kills me to say it as a welsh person but after they beat all blacks they deserve to win it...

So be it ....

....we'll be bloody hearing it for a thousand years but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

England are on fire this year, I tipped them to win it before the tournament started so I wasn't at all surprised when they won it yesterday.

Doesn't mean I'll particularly support them (or anyone else for that matter) - I can enjoy the match as a neutral without having to pick a side.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭champchamp

Two words sum up why we shouldn't support them - Eddie Jones.

Any team but them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If Ireland ain’t playing i watch every game as a neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I tend to support NH teams if I can (even Gatland’s Wales), plus England definitely deserve it more than South Africa after those utterly contrasting semi-final performances. A NH win would be good for rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Would rather die in a ditch.:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Don’t care either way: have bets to cover both. On the basis of the way they play and Farrell’s smirk at the haka, Go England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Augme

People should support who they want. But I think it would be good for NH rugby if they win. And especially the six nation's. I think playing england knowing they are world cup winners would be a nice extra incentive in all the game and make for a bit of extra spicy. I also think seeing england win would provide a good motivational tool for all the other teams players, especially Ireland hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Go on the black and tans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Why should we not support England?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,840 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What a cringe thread title. :rolleyes:

Do you need permission to shout for England now? :D

I support one team - Ireland. Other than that , let the best team win...the world won't quit turning if 'we' in Ireland don't support them or if 'we' do.

Knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I hope England win. Brilliant side, well coached and extremely talented. They mangled the kiwis and us. They are thoroughly deserving of it. Eddie Jones has done a fantastic job. Easily the best coach around.
    There response to the haka was great. It could only be bettered if they Morris danced or did a monthy python skit as a rebuttal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough to see that team win it. Cracking set of players.

But their pundits and that media nonsense that follows everything England can f**k off

I completely agree with the first sentence. This England side have a fantastic set of players. They not only completely destroyed us but managed to make the AB's look positively average which is some feat.

As for the second point, yes its true. But its hardly the teams fault that their media can be unbearable when they win and in truth we are in absolutely no position to point fingers as we are just as bad in this country. Our media coverage can often be every bit as obnoxious and one-eyed as anything served up across the pond. Paeans of nauseating drivel, often bordering on hero worship are spewed out when we win, while the coverage can turn pretty savage when we dont (the medias appraisal of Joes legacy in the immediate aftermath being a case in point).

While we can boast some excellent rugby minds in a few quarters, in truth our own pundits run the gamut from tiresome attention seeking contrarians like Dunphy and Hook, to our own Stephen Jones wannabe Franno and a plethora of former players and coaches whose "analysis" often amounts to little more than puff pieces heavily skewed by either provincial bias (like Quinlan and Luke Fitz) or a personal axe to grind (a la EOS). Finally we also have that peculiarly Irish phenomenon of the Ewan Mckennas of the world who have a massive inferiority complex and a giant chip on their shoulders when it comes to the game of rugby who take utter glee from every defeat and love nothing more than to wallow in the teams failure. The Ewanites will always be with us, waiting hungrily in the long grass to gorge themselves on the carcass of another disappointing campaign. Believe me we have little to be proud of in terms of our own shower over here.

I realise i am in the minority on this but I would have no hesitation in supporting England generally. I see no contradiction in being a proud Irish person and still supporting our nearest neighbour. I for one hope England win on Saturday. Nothing against S.A. but this is Englands trophy to lose imo. They are a team who have peaked at exactly the right moment and they would be worthy winners. More power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Why should we not support England?

Support who you want.

England are natural rivals given the proximity between countries and that they play in the same championship every year as well in Europe at a club/provincial level. I don’t fancy listening to their media bang on about it every year. Or Eddie Jones for that matter. I don’t mind Eddie Jones really but he already has a very healthy level of confidence, which is justified to an extent in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Yes. We need a northern hemisphere win. I think it’s fair to say Ireland and Wales improved hugely after 2003. How much of that was the acceptance of professionalism as opposed to playing the world champions every year? Either way, the bigger picture for us is an England win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If Dylan Hartley was playing, I would make a half joke, half serious jibe about how seeing him sent off in a WC Final would be the most entertaining thing of the century.

Since he's not:

1. Yes, we need a northern Hemisphere Win.
    2. This is very much tempered by my general opinion that the English rugby team think too much of themselves and need to be taken down a peg or three at regular intervals.
    3. If RSA win, it will be very much "against the run of play" to use a soccer term - and further proof that the world cup does not crown the best team in the world.

This is especially true in Rugby. While we have had a bad run of form ourselves this year, averaged over four, we have been better than 5th to 8th in the world as the rankings will put us after the tournament.
    The other teams who have progressed to Quarters and beyond have not necessarily been the best teams consistently in the last year let alone four.
    If anything, it has been difficult to decipher anything consistent from any of the SH teams.

Advertisement