Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ryder Jug 2019 - Tulfarris Golf Club 26th Oct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

The team

1st Roadrunner & Bigchap
    2nd Spacecoyote & Princess poppy
    3rd SEORG & Pakman
    4th Seve ob & golfgraffix
    5th Rainbow Warrior & Golfnut203
    6th Benny79 & Alanm

This thread was quiet for a reason as it's a internet forum & we didn't want the reps to see us discuss are tactics but rest assured there was plenty of chat & tactics discussed on are watts app group ;)

I am delighted to say we won 31/2 to 21/2 :D

I'd personally like to thank the whole team it was a great victory as some matches were very close & could of swung either way!

On a personal level I'd like to thank everyone who showed up at a outing this year. I hope you all enjoyed it! This society is like none other we have members from all over this beautiful Island. I hope the new members become regulars & we acquire some more new ones..

To the incoming Captain Spacecoyote I'm sure 2020 is going to be even better! As the society grows from strength to strength.

I'm kicked back with a beer in my hand looking at The Jug with a big smile on my face :)

Your Captain of 2019 signing out!

Cheers for the memories!

Benny79

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Tight Match......Well done on retaining The Jug.........Who lost so they can be torn apart in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well done lads , great win . Sorry couldn't be there , but pants at golf this year.

Was a great year - great courses, good banter and great captains weekend.

Nothing like the feeling of a team competition like that , and a great satisfaction to win a game and match.

Great ye got game done under the conditions over last few days.

Hopefully see ye in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Just seen the match results on WhatsApp

RoadRunner and Bigchap must have been playing Southampton given the margin of that victory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Macker1 wrote: »
    Tight Match......Well done on retaining The Jug.........Who lost so they can be torn apart in the media

I’ll put my hand up, poor Seve had to carry me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’ll put my hand up, poor Seve had to carry me

in fairness i didn't play my best either. i don't think the course/conditions suited our games

i like the track, good layout, some cracking holes but it is brutal underfoot. i've played many times during and after worse rain than we had yesterday and have seen many courses handle it a lot better than tulfarris. it was a marsh out there, i couldn't handle it week in week out over the winter. every time i've played there its been the same. pita.
    loosing balls when they are in the first cut of rough is just not on, our group must have lost at least 5 or 6 balls today that should never have been lost because the ground was so soft it was just gobbling them up, and then when you do find a ball....... it might not even be yours!!!! :P:o

Seve OB wrote: »
    in fairness i didn't play my best either. i don't think the course/conditions suited our games

i like the track, good layout, some cracking holes but it is brutal underfoot. i've played many times during and after worse rain than we had yesterday and have seen many courses handle it a lot better than tulfarris. it was a marsh out there, i couldn't handle it week in week out over the winter. every time i've played there its been the same. pita.
    loosing balls when they are in the first cut of rough is just not on, our group must have lost at least 5 or 6 balls today that should never have been lost because the ground was so soft it was just gobbling them up, and then when you do find a ball....... it might not even be yours!!!! :P:o

Happened to me in the jug before.

I won't mention names, but lightening...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Happened to me in the jug before.

I won't mention names, but lightening...........

This was different, with you we played my provisional even though the 1st was in play. We should have looked longer !!!!

Yesterday was a brain fart. Didn’t know our opponent had switched to a Srixon, he said he was in the bunker so when I found a Srixon plugged before the bunker I dropped and played it. Ended up being his ball, my mistake of course and called it on myself. What made it worse was I stitched the heart of the green. Match play so loss of hole and we went dormy.

Really enjoyed the match, didn’t play great but we had a good run from 5 to 11.

Very nice course, would love to play it during the summer. Maybe I am spoiled with links golf but I really struggled with the soggy conditions, was surprised it was open, Off the fairway it was borderline unplayable. But I guess we should have been on the fairways !!!

Well done to the whole team and Captain Benny, great result.

Lastly I hate to bring the mood down but we need to look at our pace of play. It took us 3 hours to play the front nine. I play a lot of golf and the only time I’ve ever seen anything close to this pace is in the boards events. I’m not pointing any fingers but there must be something we can do to speed it up a fraction.

J

Probably worth discussing pace of play in society thread for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Seve OB wrote: »

I was surprised it was even open

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I’ve played Tulfarris twice, both times it was very soft with no run, both times other courses were not soft, it does have a nice finishing trio though

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well done guys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Congrats all. Good to see the win, and looking forward to playing again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

slave1 wrote: »
    I’ve played Tulfarris twice, both times it was very soft with no run, both times other courses were not soft, it does have a nice finishing trio though

Tulfarris is a swamp on a good day.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

There was a met weather warning the whole 24hr before our tee off time! I was expecting a text message all morning telling us it would be cancelled. Other courses in the area were closed.

I thought the course held up very well on the day. No standing water. Placing fairways and lift clean and drop off the fairways. There was an optional rake and place policy in the bunkers. However i never needed this and actually felt the sand in tulfarris was better in those conditions then the sand in my home course was throughout all of last summer!

Having played tulfarris twice now under the softest conditions possible, I'd be looking forward to see it again during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I can understand some of the criticism about the day.

Tulfarris is a lovely course with some cracking holes. We had crazy rain all day on Friday & through the night, so any parkland course would have struggled to stay dry really, particularly one set on lakelands. We got around the course without a single lost ball in our 4 (outside of balls hit in to hazards)

I played my match with PrincessPoppy & we had a great day out. We won our match 5&4, and dovetailed really well. Poppy is a great matchplay golfer & has a great head for that format. The lads we played against were good craic. The match was played in good spirits. We got up early & after we got up, we never actually got back to all square at any point. I think we had one great highlight each.

For me, it was the par 4 4th hole. Both of the lads had shots on the hole. I hit a good drive & a solid iron on to the green. Poppy said to me "Just knock it dead & force them to make a par to beat you". Rolled the birdie putt in the middle of the hole, and neither of them made par, to win it. Was a bit of a hit for them given they lost a hole where both had a shot.

For Poppy it was the 12th hole. Again, both of the lads had shots. We were down around the green, but no one had hit a GIR. One of them knocked his chip on to within 2-3ft, so had a gross par pretty much locked down. Up step Poppy who proceeded to play a perfect chip on from the front of the green. Pace & line were perfect, never leaving the target & it dropped in the hole for a birdie. They made their putt for a half, but it really felt like a win.

The day was slow, but its a fourball matchplay & there were fourballs out ahead of our group on the course too. With pressure on pretty much every shot, things are bound to be a bit slower. So I wouldn't really put any blame on the boards society so to speak.

A long, soft course, a matchplay event, time is always going to be a problem. We can talk it through absolutely, and try come up with a better suggestion on how to speed it up, but I'm not sure how easily it'll be done.

Well done to Benny on putting out strong pairs, and getting another win for the society. He finished his year in style.

I've serious pressure now to live up to the wins of the last few years. looking forward to the 2020 jug!

We won our match 5&4, and dovetailed really well.

Great win! Your birdy on 4 and poppy's chip in a 3 point swing. With two low index holes to finish, it would have been a very tense finish had they been able to keep the match alive beyond the 16th!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SEORG

I played with Pakman on Saturday in what turned out to be a very close match but played in the right spirit. Pakman played off 10 with their lads Edward & Brian off 10 & 15. The two lads were very nice fellas and got off to a fast start. We were 2 down through 2 before halving the third and winning the 4th giving shots. 2 down again playing the par 3 6th when Pakman holed a beautiful birdie putt from the front edge to give us some momentum. We turned all square with only one hole halved on the front 9.

The back nine was less to and fro with the Reps lads going 1 up on the 11th when they holed a 20 footer. With their high man playing the better golf of the two we still had 3 holes left where he was getting shots but we won one against the head on 15 only to lose 16 to another long putt.

So 1 down with 2 to play we were keeping an eye on the Whatsapp group . We won 17 and were in control in the last with both of them finding the water. They had an 12 footer left for a half when we saw that Benny & AlanM had wrapped up their match and the Jug was won. We conceeded the putt as our match was played in good spirit with good golf and it would have been harsh to lose on the 18th.

Thanks to Pakman for the great company and guiding me around as I had never played Tulfarris before. I thought the course held up quite well considering the weather over the last week and especially the rain on Friday. Yes it was a bit sloppy in places but they were the places we were probably not supposed to be.

Thanks to everyone I played with in the outings. Really enjoyed my first year in the society.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

SEORG wrote: »
    We conceeded the putt as our match was played in good spirit with good golf and it would have been harsh to lose on the 18th

Nice touch

I was a captain's pick. While I have good track record in fourball matchplay, was playing good stuff and had been playing more golf then ever before, you do still look around the putting green before tee off and see 20 other players who made their way there legitimately and due to great play over the course of a full year, rather then rely on a captains pick!

Myself and bigchap went out in first group.

I play regularly with bigchap. We have a long time understanding of each others' game. We both know where the other is strong and where the other can be weak. Among the times we've played fourball in the past we've ended up beating entire fields with perhaps 40-50 teams. Any gaps in our game are covered well by the other person -I knew we'd be a formidable team. Our opponents were a low hc (6) and a high hc (23). The high guy normally takes a buggy, but due to the soft conditions wasn't permitted to take one out on the day, so right off the bat they would have their work cut out for them.

First tee. Pulled drive short into bunker left. Yikes. Bad start, started worrying a bit for a few seconds. BOOM! (the sound of a 10.5° ping g400max hit out of the middle) Bigchap sent his drive right down centre fairway (kind of normal for him) I hit out of the bunker, and then sent in a very solid 50 wedge with a 15 footer chance for birdy. Turned this into a tap in par which was enough to win the hole.

Made an up and down for par on 2nd to give bigchap a free putt for birdy which came close. Their high guy had a shot on 17 holes. This makes par three dangerous. He holed a slippery downhill-er from 5 feet for a half. This would be one of only two halves the entire day.

3rd hole I carried the bunker leaving about what I thought was 9i distance in. After bigchap hit I could see his ball flight into the green seem to fight the wind a bit. I punched in an 8i low instead. Leading to a 10footer birdy attempt. Just shaved the edge for another tap in par and a win. The soft greens left options for playing the hole in different ways and knowledge the ball would stop quickly on the other side. We would end up halving the par threes on the front nine and winning all other 9 holes up until the 11th for a very early handshake.

I can't go through each hole in detail while at work. But our opponents never got the pace of the greens. They were also very distant in handicapping that they weren't able to learn from each other on a new course. Something that I though myself and bigchap were able to do very well.

I gotta mention I found a number of my own golf balls in positions that could have easily been lost balls and was able to convert them into either pars or bogey which in all cases which would lead to win holes. Also our opponents had a more then a few putts hit the other side of the hole and defy gravity somehow staying out. So we had a lot of luck. Still, it was great to be on the shiny side of a 9 & 7 win and get the very first point for the boards team on the day!

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I was a captain's pick. While I have good track record in fourball matchplay, was playing good stuff and had been playing more golf then ever before, you do still look around the putting green before tee off and see 20 other players who made their way there legitimately and due to great play over the course of a full year, rather then rely on a captains pick!

Myself and bigchap went out in first group.

I play regularly with bigchap. We have a long time understanding of each others' game. We both know where the other is strong and where the other can be weak. Among the times we've played fourball in the past we've ended up beating entire fields with perhaps 40-50 teams. Any gaps in our game are covered well by the other person -I knew we'd be a formidable team. Our opponents were a low hc (6) and a high hc (23). The high guy normally takes a buggy, but due to the soft conditions wasn't permitted to take one out on the day, so right off the bat they would have their work cut out for them.

First tee. Pulled drive short into bunker left. Yikes. Bad start, started worrying a bit for a few seconds. BOOM! (the sound of a 10.5° ping g400max hit out of the middle) Bigchap sent his drive right down centre fairway (kind of normal for him) I hit out of the bunker, and then sent in a very solid 50 wedge with a 15 footer chance for birdy. Turned this into a tap in par which was enough to win the hole.

Made an up and down for par on 2nd to give bigchap a free putt for birdy which came close. Their high guy had a shot on 17 holes. This makes par three dangerous. He holed a slippery downhill-er from 5 feet for a half. This would be one of only two halves the entire day.

3rd hole I carried the bunker leaving about what I thought was 9i distance in. After bigchap hit I could see his ball flight into the green seem to fight the wind a bit. I punched in an 8i low instead. Leading to a 10footer birdy attempt. Just shaved the edge for another tap in par and a win. The soft greens left options for playing the hole in different ways and knowledge the ball would stop quickly on the other side. We would end up halving the par threes on the front nine and winning all other 9 holes up until the 11th for a very early handshake.

I can't go through each hole in detail while at work. But our opponents never got the pace of the greens. They were also very distant in handicapping that they weren't able to learn from each other on a new course. Something that I though myself and bigchap were able to do very well.

I gotta mention I found a number of my own golf balls in positions that could have easily been lost balls and was able to convert them into either pars or bogey which in all cases which would lead to win holes. Also our opponents had a more then a few putts hit the other side of the hole and defy gravity somehow staying out. So we had a lot of luck. Still, it was great to be on the shiny side of a 9 & 7 win and get the very first point for the boards team on the day!

Practically no weakness as a pairing for yourself & BigChap, except when you come up against a pairing like Space & Paulos ;):D

Was chatting with your competition afterwards, and he was a bit taken aback. He's used to being the big hitter in whatever group he plays in, but didn't know what to do with himself when he was giving you both a couple of shots & finding himself shorter than both off the tee

Practically no weakness as a pairing for yourself & BigChap, except when you come up against a pairing like Space & Paulos ;):D

Ah here, you'd swear yis had never seen a fiver before the way yis started peppering the flags that time :rolleyes:
    Was chatting with your competition afterwards, and he was a bit taken aback.

Great player, consistent striker, just left a lot behind on the greens on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

I played with Pakman on Saturday in what turned out to be a very close match but played in the right spirit. Pakman played off 10 with their lads Edward & Brian off 10 & 15. The two lads were very nice fellas and got off to a fast start. We were 2 down through 2 before halving the third and winning the 4th giving shots. 2 down again playing the par 3 6th when Pakman holed a beautiful birdie putt from the front edge to give us some momentum. We turned all square with only one hole halved on the front 9.

The back nine was less to and fro with the Reps lads going 1 up on the 11th when they holed a 20 footer. With their high man playing the better golf of the two we still had 3 holes left where he was getting shots but we won one against the head on 15 only to lose 16 to another long putt.

So 1 down with 2 to play we were keeping an eye on the Whatsapp group . We won 17 and were in control in the last with both of them finding the water. They had an 12 footer left for a half when we saw that Benny & AlanM had wrapped up their match and the Jug was won. We conceeded the putt as our match was played in good spirit with good golf and it would have been harsh to lose on the 18th.

Thanks to Pakman for the great company and guiding me around as I had never played Tulfarris before. I thought the course held up quite well considering the weather over the last week and especially the rain on Friday. Yes it was a bit sloppy in places but they were the places we were probably not supposed to be.

Thanks to everyone I played with in the outings. Really enjoyed my first year in the society.

I really enjoyed the round and the company was great throughout. Happy to have played alongside someone with the matchplay knowledge to know to give that last putt as it was very good natured game even though a win in my first ever matchplay would have been nice :p

Joining the Boards was one of the highlights of the golfing year. Only pity I held off on it for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

pakman wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the round and the company was great throughout. Happy to have played alongside someone with the matchplay knowledge to know to give that last putt as it was very good natured game even though a win in my first ever matchplay would have been nice :p

Joining the Boards was one of the highlights of the golfing year. Only pity I held off on it for so long.

How many shots have you dropped this year to be off 10??

gypsy79 wrote: »

Lowest player in each group dropped to 0 handicap & everyone else played off the difference.

Yeah I am off 15 dropped to 10 because SEORG is off 5. So their team were actually 15 and 20 but they dropped 5 shots too to leave them on 10 and 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yeah I am off 15 dropped to 10 because SEORG is off 5. So their team were actually 15 and 20 but they dropped 5 shots too to leave them on 10 and 15.

You were off 19 when we played earlier in the year I think??

You were off 19 when we played earlier in the year I think??

started the year at 21 ish and down 6 shots since May this year. All gone to pot again though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SEORG

started the year at 21 ish and down 6 shots since May this year. All gone to pot again though. :(

You played well on Saturday

• Advertisement

You played well on Saturday

The Jug brought it out in me :)

Advertisement