Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,761 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It’s not a prison. Stop twisting it.

Quack, Quack, Quack.

It's a prison.

Either way it's a daft idea on every level.

The state are not going to build a facility to house over 6,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sorry now but as far as most ppl are concerned if the state has made a deportation order against someone then the state should ENSURE it is enforced.

By that I mean organize a flight back to wherever and get them out on the next flight.

They can't , asylum seekers can move around the country , change there identity there is no way to track them ,
    Hundreds of asylum seekers don't bother turning up for interviews every year .
    Supposedly unaccompanied minors disappear too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ppl for whatever reason seem to be disagreeing that deportation orders should be enforced

If the state has made a serious decision to make a deportation order against someone you can bet that is a fairly heavy decision and it should be enforced. ASAP. They shouldn’t be hanging around goin

“Where’s that guy we have a deportation order to serve on? We THINK he’s in x hotel down in Roscommon but we are not sure....??”

Eff that.

Much more efficient and cost saving to have ppl in a central location where they can be easily found when there’s a flight back to their home country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Boggles wrote: »
    Quack, Quack, Quack.

It's a prison.

Either way it's a daft idea on every level.

The state are not going to build a facility to house over 6,000 people.

Not sure what the quack quack is about?

It’s not a prison. It’s basically mosney with extra facilities and enhanced services for the asylum seekers

Stop over dramatizing it - doesn’t help the debate!

“Where’s that guy we have a deportation order to serve on? We THINK he’s in x hotel down in Roscommon but we are not sure....??”

Eff that.

But thousands of asylum seekers are missing yet one single poster Claims they know where they all are .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Ppl for whatever reason seem to be disagreeing that deportation orders should be enforced

If the state has made a serious decision to make a deportation order against someone you can bet that is a fairly heavy decision and it should be enforced. ASAP. They shouldn’t be hanging around goin

Eff that.

Much more efficient and cost saving to have ppl in a central location where they can be easily found when there’s a flight back to their home country.

Nobody has said deportation orders should not be enforced.

Deportation orders are enforced. Most deportation orders do not require enforcement. Not sure how you managed to miss this.

Gatling wrote: »
    But thousands of asylum seekers are missing yet one single poster Claims they know where they all are .

Because they are not in Ireland.

alastair wrote: »
    Nobody has said deportation orders should not be enforced.

Deportation orders are enforced. Most deportation orders do not require enforcement. Not sure how you managed to miss this.

Only according you .

Nobody else not even the government

Because they are not in Ireland.

Prove it please ...

You repeatedly derail threads with claims you cannot back up lie after lie

Only according you .

Nobody else not even the government

I note that you still haven’t managed to find this supposed governmental claim that un-deported asylum seekers are in hiding in the country. Strange that.

Meanwhile still not a jot of evidence of a singular person amongst these supposed tens of thousands of ghosts.

• Advertisement

Prove it please ...

You repeatedly derail threads with claims you cannot back up lie after lie

Not me rolling out the lies here. Review your record.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

I see this has been knocked on the head, what a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,761 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not sure what the quack quack is about?

It’s not a prison. It’s basically mosney with extra facilities and enhanced services for the asylum seekers

Stop over dramatizing it - doesn’t help the debate!

No dramatizing necessary, it's a daft idea.

No more so than it is notoriously expensive to provide such services for such a large group of people at one location.

Just look at the cost of running the prisons.

You don't live there (?) and they don't want that scale of change in their community so...

But what you could do is advocate for your own community to take in a lot of asylum seekers and seek support of your neighbors for that?

It's my home town & true, I don't live there at the moment but lots of my family & friends do.
    I have no problem if asylum seekers are housed beside where I live now.
    And, FYI, it's not everyone in the town protesting against asylum seekers, just the loudest

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeh but my point is it would be better to have all those facilities centralized. You could get more bang for the taxpayers buck that way. Win win for the state and the asylum seekers.

So you want ghettos and that Irish people and asylum seekers never meet each other. Great idea.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I never said build new schools or hospitals for them. No way!

I said enhance already existing facilities like mosney.

Ah ok. So you want ghettoes with no healthcare or education with security locking people in.

Nah thats actually a disgustingly inhumane system that breaches all sorts of human rights and is certainly not ever a winning situatiin.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Plans for asylum centre in Ballinamore paused

They say the minister has agreed to pause the department's plans in relation to the provision of an asylum centre in the town.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/1024/1085501-ballinamore-asylum-centre/

"Paused" means "until no-one is looking"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Might have been asked already but...if the houses went on sale or rent to the general population would there be much of an uptake? It looks to be an out of the way place, maybe handy for smuggling coal across the border come Brexit.
    Just wondering would anyone have any local knowledge of how attractive it would be to live there if one was shilling out for the privilege of it?

I caught a bit on RTE yesterday and they were interviewing the protesters. They struck me as pretty rational ordinary decent folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

biko wrote: »

I heard on e of the protesters' representatives on RTE News saying that he understood that the process had been paused and that they had been assured that asylum process officials would now cease discussions with local schools and health services.

It thought that one of the complaints was "lack of consultation". Now he was portraying the end of engagement with local services as some kind of victory.

humberklog wrote: »
    Might have been asked already but...if the houses went on sale or rent to the general population would there be much of an uptake? It looks to be an out of the way place, maybe handy for smuggling coal across the border come Brexit.
    Just wondering would anyone have any local knowledge of how attractive it would be to live there if one was shilling out for the privilege of it?

I caught a bit on RTE yesterday and they were interviewing the protesters. They struck me as pretty rational ordinary decent folks.

Those apartments have stood empty for at least ten years. The whole building is basically empty since it was built, except for a small Tesco, a beautician & recently a grocery store.
    It was also attracting teenagers hanging around drinking etc lately.
    It's like any other small town in Ireland, not a terrible place to live but not a center of industry either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

There’s no obligation on asylum seekers to make their claim in a first safe country. None whatsoever. Perhaps you’ve failed to notice that pretty much every successful asylum seeker in this country came here via other countries?

Asylum shopping .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asylum_shopping

"Dublin Regulation requires that asylum seekers have their asylum claim registered in the FIRST COUNTRY THEY ARRIVE IN"

I have noticed that they came via other countries, which means they were not entitled to asylum here......

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Asylum shopping .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asylum_shopping

"Dublin Regulation requires that asylum seekers have their asylum claim registered in the FIRST COUNTRY THEY ARRIVE IN"

I have noticed that they came via other countries, which means they were not entitled to asylum here......

The Dublin regulations are an arrangement between EU countries - they’re not an obligation on asylum seekers. Asylum seekers can, and do, register their claims in EU countries having passed through other EU countries every day. Something you’ve clearly not noticed. Only people entitled to make their claim here are allowed make their claim here - unsurprisingly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Building new schools and hospitals specifically for asylum seekers is not a win win for any taxpayer. And it runs completely counter to your notions of integration.

Building? Most Irish students will have spend a decent chunk of their second level education in prefabs, what you talking about building for? :pac:

Getting quite sick of stories about asylum scammers assaulting natives but this one was especially sickening as it rendered the victim homeless just so she could be 'safe'.

PostWoke wrote: »
    Building? Most Irish students will have spend a decent chunk of their second level education in prefabs, what you talking about building for? :pac:

Mean while little "Sam" is eating his dinner off a piece of paper on a footpath .

Buts let's flood the country with economic migrants

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Achill... Just seen the update on Mayo News.ie

Next week/the week after 38 males between early 20s and 50s .. nationality not stated...will arrive on Achill; there has not been the promised consultation and it has also been confirmed that there has been no preparation, not even notification with the local GPs which contravenes HSE guidelines etc.

Into a village of under 100 people. Where there are no facilities etc.

Grateful if some kind person could post the link? Thank you

Article headed , "Agency confirms intention to house 38 males in Achill centre"

Not me rolling out the lies here.

Yes .

See the onus is solely on you to back up your own claims with evidence and facts which you have repeatedly refused to do over several threads ,

Your telling lies there is no other explanation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Hopefully the people of achill make a stand and say no

Graces7 wrote: »
    They tried that and were disregarded. Is it illegal to suggest blocking the bridge... easy enough.

What's your view Grace?
    You don't think they should take these people?

• Advertisement

Getting quite sick of stories about asylum scammers assaulting natives but this one was especially sickening as it rendered the victim homeless just so she could be 'safe'.

No doubt you’ve got some link to back up this notion her partner was an asylum seeker? 🙄

Advertisement