Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric motorbikes

Options

Comments

The Super Soco TC costs less than €1,500 to buy in China I see from an English guy living there who bought one (youtube).

> 3x that price is a bit of a sick one to stomach by the time it ends up sold by a dealer in Ireland ffs

I do like the specs of this one though

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2-Wheel-8000W-Off-Road-Powerful_60677940684.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normalList.14.7775585butR2IS

• Registered Users Posts: 33,996 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If 160km = "joy all day long" it must be pretty slow :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Commuting every morning from Wicklow with shed loads of filtering I've yet to see my exhaust save me from anything. I've been pulled across last minute plenty of times with no indication and sometimes with it but as a split second after thought. A few occasions where its been a half pull out but only seeing the lights stopped them

I don't buy this stuff about the exhaust having a major impact especially on the morning commute where folks have radios blaring or are heavily distracted anyway.

My saving grace every time is my speed and my own reaction.. anyone who puts stock in their exhaust saving their arse will find their faith misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If 160km = "joy all day long" it must be pretty slow :pac:

Maybe they really enjoy watching things charge.

listermint wrote: »
    Commuting every morning from Wicklow with shed loads of filtering I've yet to see my exhaust save me from anything.

Makes a huge difference at 50km/h or less with pedestrians. Also in tight traffic when going to squeeze between two stopped cars a little "pretending to change down" blip before you move gets their attention.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Commuting every morning from Wicklow with shed loads of filtering I've yet to see my exhaust save me from anything. I've been pulled across last minute plenty of times with no indication and sometimes with it but as a split second after thought. A few occasions where its been a half pull out but only seeing the lights stopped them

I don't buy this stuff about the exhaust having a major impact especially on the morning commute where folks have radios blaring or are heavily distracted anyway.

My saving grace every time is my speed and my own reaction.. anyone who puts stock in their exhaust saving their arse will find their faith misplaced.

...you need to commute on a Harley. Bass comes in over everything :P

Seriously, I wouldn't rely on it, but I can tell you there's a noticeable difference between say filtering on the H-D and my Africa Twin. And on our blood bikes (Deauvilles) you're nigh-on invisible.

I agree I woulnd't rely on it, but I like as many weapons in the defensive arsenal as possible.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Makes a huge difference at 50km/h or less with pedestrians. Also in tight traffic when going to squeeze between two stopped cars a little "pretending to change down" blip before you move gets their attention.

It really doesn't at all.

It's in your head.

Drivers are distracted and have radios playing. They don't hear you as much as they hear or see a 50 Ton Luas crossing their front path.

If you think it makes a difference then you'll see at some point how it doesn't

Harley or not. There are drivers out there that don't react to fire and garda vehicles full blown lights and sirens coming up their rear I've seen it first hand many times. The only thing an exhaust does is make you feel louder. :)

It's a feeling.

Yeah right keep on kidding yourself.

I've ridden the same bike on the same route back to back with stock can and loud can

Big difference in pedestrians stepping out without looking, especially ones wearing headphones.

I've also seen stopped cars oblivious to the world around them turn around and make eye contact with me after I make a little noise to let them know before I go around them.

This is not imaginary.

Filtering on a dual carriageway or whatever isn't the same thing at all.

Life ain't always empty.

I've ridden the same bike on the same route back to back with stock can and loud can

Big difference in pedestrians stepping out without looking, especially ones wearing headphones.

I've also seen stopped cars oblivious to the world around them turn around and make eye contact with me after I make a little noise to let them know before I go around them.

This is not imaginary.

No I get it your big exhaust vroom vroom moves everything.

Got it.

Vroom vroom vroom

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

are drivers out there that don't react to fire and garda vehicles full blown lights and sirens coming up their rear I've seen it first hand many times.

Yup, twice this morning alone on the M50 ambulance's with full blues and twos going, 1st the gawbeen in the SUV just sat there oblivious, 2nd the ambulance had to undertake the gormless saloon cager.
    Noise helps, but it isn't the be all and end all. I'd argue that headlight is the most valuable of things, but that point is made moot by gawbeen and gormless referenced above. Ultimately it's the riders own awareness, skills and reflexes that'll save/prevent a collision.

Electrics are unquestionably quieter than ICE bikes, but they're not silent, you still have your horn, the crunch of rubber on tarmac, and the whine of the motor/sound of the belt drive. I have helmet cam footage somewhere (probably wiped by now) of a BMW C Evo on the M50, and while not as loud as a standard bike, it's certainly not silent.

I was/am looking into the possibility of getting the Zero SR/F, and if it wasn't a financial decision in the here and now I would have bought one already.

I know that Moto4u in Rathfarnham have the Lifan electric scooters in stock and they appear to be selling well. OP, might be best giving them a ring and having a chat about the pros/cons.

EDIT: Does anyone know if electric bikes get the SEAI EV grant??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭dbas

You're right about it not having a major impact, but it's the sum of all the small impacts that makes the difference.
    Good gear, good front light, hi viz clothing, controlled speed, and a lower gear while lane splitting to make some noise and make emergency braking easier.

Haven't been hit yet but plenty have tried.

Leave my blue fazer alone.

Incidentally, what is the emergency braking procedure on an electric bike? I assume there's no 'engine braking' of sorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Vroom vroom vroom

XD

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rrudden

2020 Zero SR/F Review on irish roads, nice piece of kit but expensive.

https://youtu.be/AeY_OIXji0k

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭dbas

and fertilize your pants??

thats a definite no no for me then. Great city bike id imagine but not on a motorway.

QUOTE=LIGHTNING;111475237]I think its you scream "I'm saving the planet" and then hope for the best :pac:[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Spent an age playing with power curves from electric generators and inverters, I'm sure I could have some fun with an electric bike, I would miss the sound though.

No I get it your big exhaust vroom vroom moves everything.

Got it.

Vroom vroom vroom

Why bother replying to a post if you just ignore everything in it?

Have you ever ridden the same bike on the same route with a very quiet and a loud pipe...?

Do you tell people getting aux lights or a louder horn that they're fooling themselves as well?

(Just picking up a Denali Soundbomb Mini from Parcel Motel this evening, but sure, what's the point? :rolleyes: )

Life ain't always empty.

I do ya.

Your road smarts are what keep you safe all the other stuff is window dressing.

You never stop learning when riding . If you replace learning with hi Viz loud pipes and spots your on to a fail.

It's another tool in my armoury. Adding a new tool to the toolbox doesn't mean I have to throw away another one.

Life ain't always empty.

I do ya.

Your road smarts are what keep you safe all the other stuff is window dressing.

You never stop learning when riding . If you replace learning with hi Viz loud pipes and spots your on to a fail.

neither Hotblack nor I said replace. We both stated in addition. ...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Every day is a school day.

I could talk you through every step of my daily ride afterwards, and there's always something I could have done better

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

TBH I love the sound of a bike with an 'upgraded' exhaust but in reality the sound is behind you while you're travelling and does very little to alert those ahead of you (I'm usually more concerned about what's upcoming rather than behind me).

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

dbas wrote: »
    I assume there's no 'engine braking' of sorts?
    Regenerative braking, so very similar acting to engine braking.
    Basically it's recharging the battery when you coast off the throttle, so has a braking effect.
    A lot of EV Cars will flash the brake lights on regen as it can be quite severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The GorillaBiker

rrudden wrote: »
    2020 Zero SR/F Review on irish roads, nice piece of kit but expensive.

Honestly I'm currently doing a 5 year comparison with my Fazer as best I can price wise and it's coming out fairly grand price wise. Also thanks for sharing the review!

It's also way more fun to ride than you'd think.

Honestly I'm currently doing a 5 year comparison with my Fazer as best I can price wise and it's coming out fairly grand price wise. Also thanks for sharing the review!

It's also way more fun to ride than you'd think.

when you say 'fairly good', do you mean the Zero is working out close to the Fazer, costs-wise ?

Of course the other Unknown-Unknown, is insurance. Between the price of the bike and the tech on it, I'd assume it'd be a lot higher than a Fazer, so don't forget to factor that in too.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    when you say 'fairly good', do you mean the Zero is working out close to the Fazer, costs-wise ?

Of course the other Unknown-Unknown, is insurance. Between the price of the bike and the tech on it, I'd assume it'd be a lot higher than a Fazer, so don't forget to factor that in too.

As far as I am currently, yes. Fuel savings and maintenance will play the largest part. Initial purchase is harder to overcome with me having spent 3.5k on the fazer a long time ago. But I'll slap a link up when I have the whole comparison together.

Insurance is a pain, I'm currently trying to get a quote for the comparison but it is proving difficult. I would hope it won't be astronomical, but with how fast these things are and how expensive I imagine it'll have a fairly large effect on the comparison in the end.

To be honest it'll all boil down to how much you use your bikes and the average length of your trips. I use mine 12 months a year on a daily basis for everything except what I absolutely have to use my car for. For people who do sub 5000km per year I can't see it working out as feasible. But we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Probably a pipe dream

Definitely not. They don’t have pipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

As far as I am currently, yes. Fuel savings and maintenance will play the largest part. Initial purchase is harder to overcome with me having spent 3.5k on the fazer a long time ago. But I'll slap a link up when I have the whole comparison together.

Insurance is a pain, I'm currently trying to get a quote for the comparison but it is proving difficult. I would hope it won't be astronomical, but with how fast these things are and how expensive I imagine it'll have a fairly large effect on the comparison in the end.

To be honest it'll all boil down to how much you use your bikes and the average length of your trips. I use mine 12 months a year on a daily basis for everything except what I absolutely have to use my car for. For people who do sub 5000km per year I can't see it working out as feasible. But we'll see!

Watched your reviews there. Fair play. Great stuff.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Watched your reviews there. Fair play. Great stuff.

Thanks!! :) Had to give up all sports this year due to injuries so kinda had to fill my time somehow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,888 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This is not imaginary.

Bikes have a device for warning others already fitted, use your horn if someone cuts you up or crosses without looking. Revving an engine makes them look at the annoying biker, using the horn makes them react to a dangerous situation.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Horn is reactive, loud pipe is pro-active

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement