Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/21/ocean-acidification-can-cause-mass-extinctions-fossils-reveal

Carbon is acidifying the oceans too and killing marine life. More lies from scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/21/ocean-acidification-can-cause-mass-extinctions-fossils-reveal
    Carbon is acidifying the oceans too and killing marine life. More lies from scientists.

Shiney new subscription to the alarmist Guardian newspaper yes?
    Ocean acidification can cause the mass extinction of marine life, fossil evidence from 66m years ago has revealed...

He said caution was needed in making the comparison between the acidification spike 66m years ago and today: “When the asteroid struck, atmospheric CO2 was naturally already much higher than today, and the pH much lower. Furthermore, large asteroid impacts cause prolonged darkness.”

So the bottom line is - the planet better not get hit by a large planet impacting Asteroid. Right so. I'll put that on the check list. Thanks for that;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

She was asked what message SHE hoped world leaders would get from HER UN speech. She stuttered for a few seconds then palmed it off to the panel. She hadn’t a clue how to answer it. She works off scripts because she has no clue about climate change.

Pretty much all figures in the public eye work off scripts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

blueshade wrote: »
    The problem isn't Greta herself, it's the people manipulating her. Her parents have lied and lied and lied. They've absolutely fooked up both of their kids and shamelessly attention whore them for their own personal gain. A has been actor and a has been singer with grandparents in the entertainment industry too. I've no doubt Greta believes this stuff, she's been fed it all her life and the poor kid self harms because of it. She and her sister should have been taken into care years ago and the parents charged with child abuse. She's just a puppet and her family is doing very nicely financially from it all. No matter to her parents that the kid is well on her way to a nervous breakdown.

Your post reads as an attack on her family with no evidence to back it up.

Are you concerned only for her welfare, or is your issue that she is a spokesperson for a campaign you disagree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

gozunda wrote: »
    So the bottom line is - the planet better not get hit by a large planet impacting Asteroid. Right so. I'll put that on the check list. Thanks for that;)

What we need is more algae, that will bring the end of days and the salvation the XR bourgeois alarmists seek by destroying modern civilisation. :rolleyes:

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

mzungu wrote: »
    Pretty much all figures in the public eye work off scripts.

They do. But if they were asked a simple question, they would be able to answer it without a script. She stuttered and um'd and ah'd. Then passed the question to the panel.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-air-pollution-breaching-eu-limits-epa-warns-1.3950575

Filthy air in Dublin, not in India or China, we need less cars and fossil fuels. This has affects on our health.
    I might have to become one of those guys that wears a stupid mask while cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-air-pollution-breaching-eu-limits-epa-warns-1.3950575

Filthy air in Dublin, not in India or China, we need less cars and fossil fuels. This has affects on our health.
    I might have to become one of those guys that wears a stupid mask while cycling.

1) Dublin exceeds EU limits which are the most stringent in the world, it does not mean we are worse than china or India etc.. who have no such limits. We're still lightyears ahead of them in air quality.

2) If you look at the streets where the excess is being recorded , its two of the most congested streets in Dublin (Pearse st and the quays) where theres more bus lanes than car lanes and the governments 'road diet' plan keeps cars idling endlessly in traffic.

1) Dublin exceeds EU limits which are the most stringent in the world, it does not mean we are worse than china or India etc.. who have no such limits. We're still lightyears ahead of them in air quality.

2) If you look at the streets where the excess is being recorded , its two of the most congested streets in Dublin (Pearse st and the quays) where theres more bus lanes than car lanes and the governments 'road diet' plan keeps cars idling endlessly in traffic.

It means that our air is dirty and we need to clean up our own country regardless of what's going on in the rest of the world.
    Well we seem to be moving towards more restrictions for private cars in the city and there are plans to build more bike and bus lanes so hopefully the days of driving your car into the city for shopping etc are numbered. We really need congestion charges too for private cars. How would you cope Eric, you might actually have to walk somewhere?! I'll pray for you.

It means that our air is dirty and we need to clean up our own country regardless of what's going on in the rest of the world.
    Well we seem to be moving towards more restrictions for private cars in the city and there are plans to build more bike and bus lanes so hopefully the days of driving your car into the city for shopping etc are numbered. We really need congestion charges too for private cars. How would you cope Eric, you might actually have to walk somewhere?! I'll pray for you.

Or the city centre becomes a rundown kip, like O'Connell St, and people use the Pavilions, Blanch, and other outer shopping centres, causing more congestion outside the city.

• Advertisement

Or the city centre becomes a rundown kip, like O'Connell St, and people use the Pavilions, Blanch, and other outer shopping centres, causing more congestion outside the city.

How on earth would having more pedestrianised streets and less cars turn it into a run down kip? It would improve it in so many ways including aesthetically. Time and time again it has been proven that more pedestrian and cycling friendly streets leads to more business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Or the city centre becomes a rundown kip, like O'Connell St, .

Yep o Connel St is a mess. Henry St and grafton is how it should be done

I drive through the city for work , ill just pass the charges on to my clients. You won't get me off the roads of the city.

this is exactly what will happen, we already have restricted car parking spaces and accessibility to a crippling level, its already hurting trade and will just continue the decline.

I drive through the city for work , ill just pass the charges on to my clients. You won't get me off the roads of the city.

Ah but we might, you may have to go right around the centre eventually or be really inconvenienced! We need to get private cars out of the city no matter what, and it's slowly moving in that way.

Ah but we might, you may have to go right around the centre eventually or be really inconvenienced! We need to get private cars out of the city no matter what, and it's slowly moving in that way.

Im already really inconvenienced by the road diet, one way streets and parking spaces being eroded to appeal to a bunch of cyclists who can't even follow the most basic of rules. but the idea of cycling, scooters or public transport is just so much worse than sitting in traffic and pretty much always will be.

Im already really inconvenienced by the road diet, one way streets and parking spaces being eroded to appeal to a bunch of cyclists who can't even follow the most basic of rules. but the idea of cycling, scooters or public transport is just so much worse than sitting in traffic and pretty much always will be.

Well yeah you'll just be sitting in traffic longer as the restrictions get worse and worse for people like you. It's about time they gave some of the streets back to people, but we've a long way to go.
    Cars don't follow the rules either, and they cause all the deaths remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well yeah you'll just be sitting in traffic longer as the restrictions get worse and worse for people like you. It's about time they gave some of the streets back to people, but we've a long way to go.

Here's an idea - get out of the congested urban areas with all the pollution and gridlock. Move to the countryside and buy a bicycle. Sorted.

How on earth would having more pedestrianised streets and less cars turn it into a run down kip? It would improve it in so many ways including aesthetically. Time and time again it has been proven that more pedestrian and cycling friendly streets leads to more business.

Less cars, less people, less profit, less shops, less rates.

It's hardly rocket science.

Less cars, less people, less profit, less shops, less rates.

It's hardly rocket science.

Less cars and pedestrianisation of streets leads to more business for retailers.
    Do you suggest we encourage more cars into the city centre, or keep things as they are, or reduce the numbers?

Less cars and pedestrianisation of streets leads to more business for retailers.
    Do you suggest we encourage more cars into the city centre, or keep things as they are, or reduce the numbers?

removing cars off a street often makes it more dangerous and open spaces without roads in Dublin become a magnet for drug addicts and anti social behaviour.

• Advertisement

the commuters are the people..... apologies some of us aren't either wealthy or state dependant enough to have housing in the city. Many people are being forced out of their cars with no alternative.

the commuters are the people..... apologies some of us aren't either wealthy or state dependant enough to have housing in the city. Many people are being forced out of their cars with no alternative.

don't you live in the middle of nowhere because you wouldn't live in a city? I would say the majority of people driving into Dublin have other options, e.g. the 1000s of civil servants who have parking spaces in the centre.

removing cars off a street often makes it more dangerous and open spaces without roads in Dublin become a magnet for drug addicts and anti social behaviour.

Grafton st? Suffolk st? They seem fine to me. They voted recently in the council to pedestrianise Liffey st too which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Yeah, right on. Turn it into a ghost town after 6pm. A habitat for junkies and villains.

Yeah, right on. Turn it into a ghost town after 6pm. A habitat for junkies and villains.

Again, what pedestrianised streets are habitats for junkies and villains? Grafton st is a ghost town at night is it? Temple bar is? You guys are f*cking unbelievable lol, just anti absolutely everything that is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

this is exactly what will happen, we already have restricted car parking spaces and accessibility to a crippling level, its already hurting trade and will just continue the decline.

The source and extent of the argument of many against Greta.
    I. do. not. want. to. change.

Dress it up as lack of confidence in science, concern for the girl, feeling it is just governments looking to introduce taxes.

This is it. Selfishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Isn't that what countless threads on Boards already suggest it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is what is already happening. Urban decay from the inside out.
    No one travels to the city center to shop anymore.
    The DCC is very anti-car (even anti-EV).

I don't drive to the city center anymore. Can't remember the last time I was in there. Too much hassle. And with that, goes all the meetings I would have had, money spent on lunches, drinks, impulse shopping, etc. I don't know how traders survive.

If it wasn't for the lobby behind the high rise carparks being so strong I think we would be a lot more pedestrianised already. And for what? So greta and her ilk can ride around on illegal scooters powered by farts and their misplaced sense of wellbeing?

Eco mentalist nonsense.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Dublin isn't far off that. I was shocked by a recent stay in Dublin city centre the contrast between rush hour and 2 or 3 hours later. Heaving mass of people at rush hour, dead to the world later that evening.

And the commuter towns are probably the reverse, dead during the day, busy in the evening.

The way we locate housing and workplaces is a huge reason for our high carbon footprint. And its only going to get worse as large companies want to locate in Dublin 2 but expect their employees to commute from long distances.

The government don't care as long as the corporation tax revenues keep coming in.

• Advertisement

Restaurants pubs tourism retail all booming in DCC. You people just invent your own truths, youre all mad!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement