Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel USA: no duty free?

• 23-10-2019 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I'm flying with Aer Lingus out of Dublin to San Francisco. I was hoping to bring out a couple of bottles but came across this on the airline website.
    Unfortunately, duty free goods including cigarettes and alcohol can’t be sold on board flights which pre-clear U.S. customs and immigration.

Can anyone verify there's no duty-free option for US flights? I already checked and Aer Lingus also don't sell bottles on-board. Is the only option to buy, pack, and check bags to take bottles to the US?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think you can't buy on the actual plane.
    You buy in Dublin Airport.

Flying back you can buy on board and in airport.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Flying back you can buy on board and in airport.

Not in Dublin on the way back, unless that's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mellor wrote: »
    Not in Dublin on the way back, unless that's changed.

Yes you can only do click and collect on EU flights so not duty free.
    Would need to buy in aiport on US side.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I'm flying with Aer Lingus out of Dublin to San Francisco. I was hoping to bring out a couple of bottles but came across this on the airline website.

Can anyone verify there's no duty-free option for US flights? I already checked and Aer Lingus also don't sell bottles on-board. Is the only option to buy, pack, and check bags to take bottles to the US?

Sounds odd as there is a small duty free shop in the airport after US pre-clearance which sells tobacco and alcohol. Reasonable choice of whiskey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Okay, I guess I read that wrong that it's just the airline can't sell bottles. So if i buy in regular duty free in dublin airport do they take and deliver the bag as you land? If they hand the bag to me I think it won't make it through the US clearance (liquid restrictions).

I may well just ask as I'm sure they'll know. The fact there might be a duty free post-clearance sounds like a good backup in any case.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Okay, I guess I read that wrong that it's just the airline can't sell bottles. So if i buy in regular duty free in dublin airport do they take and deliver the bag as you land? If they hand the bag to me I think it won't make it through the US clearance (liquid restrictions).

I may well just ask as I'm sure they'll know. The fact there might be a duty free post-clearance sounds like a good backup in any case.

Thanks!

Buying the duty free after pre-clearance is your only choice. There is a reasonable selection there, I'm sure you'll find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

You can buy in Airport Duty free, as you will be in Ireland and leaving the EU. Once you pass through US pre-clearance you are deemed to be on US soil so you're effectively on a US Domestic flight, that's why the airline wont sell Duty free.

You can take the purchases in your hand luggage, in special sealed bags given to you by the Duty Free cashier, and once this remains sealed, you can bring it through security in the US if you have a connecting flight so long as its within 24 hours of the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Ok guys, thanks for the tips! Sounds like the easiest thing is to buy post-clearance.

Just checking bevmo.com and even with new tarrifs the local prices aren't bad. A was thrown by a few items like a Tullamore 12 (thinking it the regular) and a Bushmills white for $38 but on closer inspection it's a 1.75 liter!

$20 Tullamore Dew
    $28 Jameson Caskmates
    $35 Jameson Black Barrel
    $53 Redbreast 12

Ok guys, thanks for the tips! Sounds like the easiest thing is to buy post-clearance.

Just checking bevmo.com and even with new tarrifs the local prices aren't bad. A was thrown by a few items like a Tullamore 12 (thinking it the regular) and a Bushmills white for $38 but on closer inspection it's a 1.75 liter!

$20 Tullamore Dew
    $28 Jameson Caskmates
    $35 Jameson Black Barrel
    $53 Redbreast 12

I think it's only Bushmills that's affected by the new tariffs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only Bushmills malts at that. The blends have sufficient ROI content from Midleton.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Only Bushmills malts at that. The blends have sufficient ROI content from Midleton.
    It’s because its blended, not because it has ROI content.
    ROI single malts are affected too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mellor wrote: »
    It’s because its blended, not because it has ROI content.
    ROI single malts are affected too.

You sure about that? Fairly certain the tariffes codes don't cover any ROI whiskey but I'm on mobile so can't check

ROI single malts are a niche product so wouldn't have got much coverage anyway!

L1011 wrote: »
    You sure about that? Fairly certain the tariffes codes don't cover any ROI whiskey but I'm on mobile so can't check

ROI single malts are a niche product so wouldn't have got much coverage anyway!

I'm certain. The tarrifs are only applied to single malts.
    If Black Bush was blended with grain form Derry, for example, it would still be exempt.

Advertisement