Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock Links ownership changes hands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

slave1 wrote: »
    Hopefully not bad news from a members/golfing perspective, recent course purchases have resulted in savage price increases

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1016/1083891-canadian-hotelier-buys-portmarnock-hotel-and-golf-links/

As a member of the links, the initial feelings are positive from these guys.

the membership has grown to a very healthy number along with the course/resort experiencing strong numbers of oversees visitors so fingers crossed it will only be a good thing with course improvements and upkeep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sounds good, I owe that course a revenge round, I had a bad day on it last time and it was not the place to be having a bad day

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

Sounds good, I owe that course a revenge round, I had a bad day on it last time and it was not the place to be having a bad day

Yep miss in the wrong places and it can bite you! its a great track for course management as there are plently of way to play alot of the holes (depending on wind :eek: )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Fantastic course and one I love playing, even if I don't score there on the day - I still enjoy it.

There has been some great improvements to the course over the last few years and hopefully these works will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Corballis on steroids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Hopefully not bad news from a members/golfing perspective, recent course purchases have resulted in savage price increases

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1016/1083891-canadian-hotelier-buys-portmarnock-hotel-and-golf-links/

I think that ship has already sailed on the links. Used to be one of the few affordable Links on the east coast. Most average golfers are priced out of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Corballis on steroids

I presume some trolling but I’ll bite

19th on the Golf Digest List, 26th on the Irish Golfer list and your comparing it to Corballis??

Dying to hear the reasoning on this.

There is always an element of subjectivity but it’s too much of a gulf in quality to allow that one to slip

J

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

How the heck can you compare Corballis and Portmarnock?!!! Only thing the have in common is that they are on the east coast!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

19th on the Golf Digest List, 26th on the Irish Golfer list and your comparing it to Corballis??

There is always an element of subjectivity but it’s too much of a gulf in quality to allow that one to slip

J
    Ah he does mention steroids in fairness and some of those can be very powerful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I think that ship has already sailed on the links. Used to be one of the few affordable Links on the east coast. Most average golfers are priced out of it now.

€50.00 To play in the Taylor made Winter series on a Tuesday?? Very very real value.
    Course in fine shape last week... very very enjoyable and a fair test that you can't let up on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

neckedit wrote: »
    €50.00 To play in the Taylor made Winter series on a Tuesday?? Very very real value.
    Course in fine shape last week... very very enjoyable and a fair test that you can't let up on.

Until a few years ago it was that price most of the time. Not just for Tuesdays in the winter and for people on less than a 9 handicap, at a time when most people would be working. True it's good value if it works for you. But it wont suit the vast majority.

I get why they have raised the prices btw and they are well wiyhin their rights to. I was just responding to the original post. Last i checked it was 180 a green fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

Is that advertised anywhere? I can't see it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Value until you realise your competing in the nett section with high level Professionals who are off scratch.... a farce tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

J
    No trolling intended as i love both courses, the steroid analogy being that the links is bigger stronger and has more muscle than corballis, but both really enjoyable to play.

No trolling intended as i love both courses, the steroid analogy being that the links is bigger stronger and has more muscle than corballis, but both really enjoyable to play.

Good save :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Value until you realise your competing in the nett section with high level Professionals who are off scratch.... a farce

My comment were based on the value to play a quality course. How they run the event isn't the point in discussion, but either way far from a farce.

Value until you realise your competing in the nett section with high level Professionals who are off scratch.... a farce tbh.

Are you sure that’s right? Is there not a pro prize and an amateur prize ?

Are you sure that’s right? Is there not a pro prize and an amateur prize ?

There are Nett Prizes & Gross Prizes. Robin Dawson who turned Pro off +4 or +5 won the Nett Prize yesterday with 68 off scratch.

To make matters worse the entry fee for Pros is €30 and €50 for amateurs even though both are competing for the same prizes in the same competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Exactly wrote: »
    To make matters worse the entry fee for Pros is €30 and €50 for amateurs even though both are competing for the same prizes in the same competition.

:D Also previously.. "Why on earth do the the grade a courses tend not to run opens?"

(I think it's great for the public that the links has opened up their course for competition)

RoadRunner wrote: »
    :D Also previously.. "Why on earth do the the grade a courses tend not to run opens?"

(I think it's great for the public that the links has opened up their course for competition)

What do you mean? This has always been the case. Are you mixing them up with Portmarnock?

• Advertisement

What do you mean? This has always been the case. Are you mixing them up with Portmarnock?

Not mixing them up.

I think that you're crying sour grapes either because pros get it cheaper then non pros (assumption is that you're not a pro) or that pros are more likely to win a prize (again same assumption). Can you confirm which of these it is?

Not mixing them up.

I think that you're crying sour grapes either because pros get it cheaper then non pros (assumption is that you're not a pro) or that pros are more likely to win a prize (again same assumption). Can you confirm which of these it is?

You haven't answered my previous question. The Links have always had 'Open Competitions'. Why do you think they have only opened up now?

I am not a Pro and it is heavily stacked in their favour to win prizes (the good Pro's). They are a private Club and welcome to run their competitions how they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Not mixing them up.

If Dawson turns Pro, the following week he is competing for net prizes off his new handicap of scratch, Caolan Rafferty would be giving him 6 shots in the net category.How is it sour grapes to point out such a anomaly ?

It merely highlights the lack of value for amateurs, most of whom I would suggest are playing to get cut, as it is not a level playing field when it comes to competing for net prizes..

You haven't answered my previous question. The Links have always had 'Open Competitions'. Why do you think they have only opened up now?

When I said:
    "I think it's great for the public that the links has opened up their course for competition"

I think you need me to rephrase this as
    "I think it's great for the public that (at some prior point in the past) opened up the course for competition".

I added a new bit in there, you see it?

You demanded an answer to your previous question.

Your previous question, the one that I haven't answered, was:

"What do you mean?"

I think you mean this in relation to my question which was:

"Why on earth do the the grade a courses tend not to run opens?"

This was a rhetorical question, one that makes a point rather than requiring a direct answer. The point I was subtlety trying to make, so that feeling weren't hurt, was that often open comps tend to attract the lowest common denominator in golf. People, impossible to please, moan about everything and quite idiotically expect the people that provide them a service to do it at a loss to themselves. I meant that about you.

The point I was subtlety trying to make, so that feeling weren't hurt, was that often open comps tend to attract the lowest common denominator in golf. People, impossible to please, moan about everything and quite idiotically expect the people that provide them a service to do it at a loss to themselves. I meant that about you.

You clearly don't know me if that is the case.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

We are done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement