Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Solar PV NC6 form and other paper work

• 16-06-2019 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi
    So looking more and more likely I will go DIY PV with no batteries for now.
    I want to get the ball rolling but still not 100% size of instal could be 5x300w or 6x300w or more.

If I fill out the NC6 form and then change my mind. Any idea what will happen then.

I presume I fill it in again with the updated size KW etc. wait another couple weeks?

The only paper work is NC6 with certificats for the inverter and PV panels attached. then the Cert from Reci spark signing the instal. is that correct.

One other thing I was wondering is I have a traditional old spinning wheel meter is there any chance they will want to change it?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭phester28

i would love to know about the need for the reci. I would assume this would only need to apply to the ac connect side (spur) or similar. I dont think many sparks would even understand solar from a DC perspective and the difference in safety requirements.

Form the esb side I would thing that a completed NC6 is all that is required with the certificate of the inverter. Then they know their grid / workers are safe. A reci sign off would become more important from an insurance perspective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

ESB doesnt need to know the wattage of the panels...
    They need the form filled with exact model of the inverter along with its details and MPRN number/location.And signed by owner.

RECI electrician highly advisable if DIY, at least to confirm and/or validate pre and post instalaltion.

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lightson

I thought you definitely needed system to be signed off by a electrician when finished and emailed to esb.
    I guess would be crazy not to for insurance reasons you would be ducked if something was to happen.

So for the NC6 form its about the inverter. whats the story if I put down for instance

Solis Mini 2kW 4G Inverter with DC Isolator

but wanted to change to smaller inverter when it came to the instal.

Solis Mini 1.5kW 4G Inverter with DC Isolator

I presume if unsure its best to put the bigger then you have established the grid can accept it then change to smaller.

my uncertainty is roof can fit 10 panels in portrait 5 over 5.
    6m wide
    gutter to ridge 5.2m

want to leave space to easily add more in future.

so trying to figure if I fit 5 panels to top of roof allowing to add another 5 below in future or.
    fit 6 panels( 3 over 3) allowing space to add 4 to the side in future if that makes sense.

not having fitted panel rails on hangers b4 not sure best/easiest approach whilst future proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭phester28

I know your doing a DIY but seai insist on 500mm perimeter from all edges. I assume this is to reduce wind loading on panels so you should leave what you can

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cortina74

Hi lightson,
    Did you carry out your DIY install in the end?
    How did you get on?
    How did you get on with the ESB re certification etc.?
    Just planning my own similarly sized DIY install at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Cortina74 wrote: »
    Hi lightson,
    Did you carry out your DIY install in the end?
    How did you get on?
    How did you get on with the ESB re certification etc.?
    Just planning my own similarly sized DIY install at the moment.

I will also be doing a self install, don't qualify for the grant, and will send in the form to the ESB later this week.

On the form NC6 there is a section "3. Installer / Consultant Details:" which i assumed needed to be filled in by an electrician. I might just email this to them with this blank and see if they come back requesting it to be filled in. I will get an electrician do do the AC wiring when ready.

Had planned on installing two Solis inverters I have but now going with one larger SMA one.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭spose

Doing DIY as well. Just included electricians name and number on the form. ESB had no issues with it. They just rang to know if I wanted an import/export meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Mr Q

spose wrote: »
    Doing DIY as well. Just included electricians name and number on the form. ESB had no issues with it. They just rang to know if I wanted an import/export meter.

That sounds nice and easy. Did it take long once you had sent it in?

I think they rang me 2 days after I posted it

• Registered Users Posts: 64,545 ✭✭✭✭unkel

spose wrote: »
    They just rang to know if I wanted an import/export meter.

Wanted to buy one, you mean? I bet they did. Selling you a €17 meter for €340, not even Apple have margins like that :pac:

• Advertisement

Hi,

I dont get it...what's the issue with buying an export / import meter !?
    Apart of ESB having a monopol,legal and technical,no problem,you pay what you've been asked to.

If a PV owner likes to keep up with the figures generated by the system,by the house and other appliances.

Thanks

Pay €340 just so you know how much electricity you are giving away to the grid for free? Insanity in my book. Unless of course you have more money than sense. Lucky you :p

Define "insanity" !

And, please stop saying "anything&everything" it has to do with fcuking money in your posts !
    Forget once and live your dream,get your gadgets and enjoy them without thinking how much that item cost or should ROI / TCO ... ;)

Unless i had a smart meter,i will not have known that my meter is spinning backwards and i had to pay 4 months for the excess PV generated and given to grid !

Now, i know exact how much is there,how much have used "yesterday" and we can adjust based on that.
    Any major fluctuations are seen on half hour and rectified for "tomorrow".
    No surprises...as im still really strugling trying to figure out the 800Watts standby 24 hours load in the house...

Be good.

493494.jpg

rolion wrote: »
    Define "insanity" !

And, please stop saying "anything&everything" it has to do with fcuking money in your posts !
    Forget once and live your dream

Live my dream? I'd rather spend €340 on an exquisite meal in an exceptionally good restaurant for myself and my wife, that neither of us will ever forget (and have done so). Rather than spend it on a ridiculously overpriced import / export meter that won't enhance my life in any possible way.

But I guess we have different concepts of living the dream ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I dont get it...what's the issue with buying an export / import meter !?
    Apart of ESB having a monopol,legal and technical,no problem,you pay what you've been asked to.

If a PV owner likes to keep up with the figures generated by the system,by the house and other appliances.

The import/export meter is of no use to you unless you are getting paid a FiT. Its €340 wasted.

You can use your inverter apps or any cheap off the shelf meters to see what your consumption is... you dont need to fritter away €340 to ESB Networks.

Also bear in mind that over the next few years every single one of us will have a smart meter installed for "free" so why would you waste €340 on old tech.

phester28 wrote: »
    i would love to know about the need for the reci. I would assume this would only need to apply to the ac connect side (spur) or similar. I dont think many sparks would even understand solar from a DC perspective and the difference in safety requirements.

Agree.
    Extra-low-Voltage defined as <120VDC (must check reg. bible for national threshold) & <60VAC is not restricted works.

Few sparks like finishing other people's work and would have a firmer grasp of electrical safety than a DIY-er. They are under no obligation to connect what they consider to be unsafe works.

Depends. When I employ sparks I give them a schematic, a specification and hold them to it.

unkel wrote: »
    Rather than spend it on a ridiculously overpriced import / export meter that won't enhance my life in any possible way.

You can use it to calculate how much the ESB have made selling the power you donated them to your neighbours! :cool:

You can use it to calculate how much the ESB have made selling the power you donated them to your neighbours! :cool:

I'd nearly pay €340 not to know that :pac:

Ok guys...looks like all of you had a nice cappucino meewting today from the same machine ! ;)

I feel sorry,i should have checked with you 4 (four) years ago when i did my DIY PV project.Did i mentioned that i paid €300 for a 300W LG panel ? Where are those good days when a reseller or a local Irish distributor were making good money...

Peculliar that only couple months back some of you had no fcuking clue about the red cable versus black cable or how a PV panel / inberter works and now are giving lessons on best practice in the industry like a real senior practionoer hands-on master degree with megaWattsH harvested.

Should i feel sorry that i got a smart meter ?! Should i take it down ? Should i go from time to time and open the ESB meter and read the wall mounted counter !? Should i stop paying the annual fee for reading and presenting the results in a nice graph and csv format !?
    What advice do you give, guys !? What advice should i take !? Hmmm...

Did i mentioned that i paid €300 for a 300W LG panel ?

Payback time on your system: 87.8 years :pac:

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Payback time on your system: 87.8 years :pac:

blah blah blah...

Going back through my posts,you kept doing maths on almost all of them.
    How "cheap" has to be something that you can define it as a dream !?
    How c h e a p is your dream !?

I wanted to have a PV system installed by myself. And i did it... on best terms and knowledge,without offending anyone while asking to share their experience.I kept decent,respected their choice and listened what they did so i can repeat or avoid.Said thanks and moved on without being worried that i may burned a bridge or offended their toughts,ideas,feelings,dreams.

My only consolation is that i didnt had a crystall ball 5 years ago to read that EU and China will drop the prices / penalties so that today YOU can buy with around €100 PV no-name panels from trade friends. BTW,you asked me to give you few years ago,the two PV panels,your first ever PV panels...they are still on the kitchen roof,sitting there,gathering dust,you want them FoC ? Just pay the VAT...

Now,further travelling in time, is a complete lack of decency and professional respect from your side to come here to point your "warrior mouse and keyboard" to me, aka paying twice the price for a top brand PV panel.
    I was expecting to dispute in technical terms the dual smart meter setup or readings or performance of a well tought DIY studied and hands-on. But "bla bla bla" i have seen enough and learned to ignore it.

Also,i found a photo of your concept of cost effective smart meter reading.
    I use to it couple of years ago,planning for my panels in conjunction with solar angles and hourly readings,hard work and not like today,just pushes and clicks of mouse,keyboards.

But,good luck and enjoy it.
    Not lastly,be good,a good man is a happy person ! ;)

493571.jpg

I wanted to have a PV system installed by myself. And i did it... on best terms and knowledge,without offending anyone while asking to share their experience.I kept decent,respected their choice and listened what they did so i can repeat or avoid.

My only consolation is that i didnt had a crystall ball 5 years ago to read that EU and China will drop the prices / penalties so that today YOU can buy with around €100 PV no-name panels from trade friends.

None of us have that crystal ball so even making the jump now to SolarPV and batteries will probably look like a bad idea in 10 years time with the advent of FiT and Vehicle2Home and Vehicle2Grid technology that will make todays 2kWh Pylontech batteries look silly!

But fair play to you you moved earlier than anyone and you appear to be enjoying the experience and not worried about the money side of it. I dont think most people would approach it with that mindset though. Money talks and all that...

I was expecting to dispute in technical terms the dual smart meter setup or readings or performance of a well tought DIY studied and hands-on.

Times have moved on, it can be done cheaper (with the same reliability) than giving ESB €340 and you should use your experience to give people the latest advice not just what you did 5 years ago.

Are you really saying that €340 for a basic import/export meter is a good investment considering what the inverter apps and off-the-shelf meters can do today?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 toolshead

Hi Spose. Did you go with the meter upgrade in the end? What meter type did you have previously? As in, was it the older rotary dial ones or a digital one?

I didn’t pay for the upgrade. About a month after installing the PV they changed my meter for a smart one anyway. Old one wasn’t digital, was about 10 years old

I understand. So were you obligated to upgrade your old analogue meter after your PV install?

Post edited by toolshead on

I was told it was just part of the normal roll out of the smart meters to everyone but no one else in the area got one around the same time. I know others here will say I could have refused but since I didn’t have a day/night meter it made no difference to me

Yea, i am in a similar boat as yourself. It looks like from your story that there is no obligation to do the upgrade if you have solar. I would rather keep the old meter, but it wouldnt be the end of the world if I had to upgrade. Thanks for the information.

Your obligation is to send in the NC6. Whether they change the meter or not is up to them but I don’t believe you can refuse them changing it when you add Solar. You can refuse a smart meter but that’s a different topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gonepostal

Hi doing a DIY solar installation, any info re NC6 form would be great. 6kw system Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭daheff

Slightly off topic, but we moved to a new house 2017. Solar panels included (small array of about 1.5kw). I checked with ESB networks, but no NC6 form was ever registered with them.

Builder is gone, no idea which company actually did the solar install, so what do I do with NC6 form?

Do I need to submit one?

Advertisement