Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century'' is 40

Options
  • 20-10-2019 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I only realised today that its 40 years ago since this was released. Now you might be wondering why I posted it here. Well I also found out that the first two parts of it were released in cinema's or as the Americans would say theaters as a film and it made a reasonable well for the time anyway 21 million dollars at the box office.

It was only after that that Universal decided to make it a series.

Actually a lot of props from Battlestar Galactica and this were shared and they shared some of the same sound effects as well as special effects too.

The starfighters ships in it were originally going to be what the Vipers in Battlestar Galactica looked like too but then that was changed as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I remember watching it as a film first! :) Must've been a rerun on TV though. Film was kinda darker than the series from what I vaguely remember

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I wonder is there any chance that one of the art cinema's maybe The Lighthouse or the IFI might show it here for its 40th. That would be cool. The series is currently on at the weekend on Forces TV at 1pm 2pm and then again at 6 and 7 pm.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God, there's a show that has not aged well in the slightest. I'm surprised to read here that it actually aired after Star Wars, because in tone, look & feel it comes off as something from before that era. "Camp" doesn't even begin to describe that disco fever dream :D

IIRC, didn't it also completely change its premise halfway through a season? Without googling further I seem to recall that its rating were tanking so the studio just swapped everything around, changed the plot n' all.

https://media.giphy.com/media/6HcJyFmxLzjsQ/giphy.gif:D

Aged poorly yes, but fun to look back at👍

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I thought everyone knew Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century was a edited version of the first two episodes. That sort of thing was not unusual back then - Battlestar was a two parter edited, the Jericho Mile, Victory at Entebbe, Duel, and many more TV films or "two parter"s (esp the Man From Uncle) were released at the kinema, esp in Europe.

As for the series itself well it has a few sustained attractions I'll say no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Aged poorly yes.... but Erin Grey..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Less chat more pictures of Wilma please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Aged poorly yes.... but Erin Grey..... :)

Clicked on to this thread to post just this.

GrimPoisedApe-size_restricted.gif

7WPU.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    God, there's a show that has not aged well in the slightest. I'm surprised to read here that it actually aired after Star Wars, because in tone, look & feel it comes off as something from before that era. "Camp" doesn't even begin to describe that disco fever dream :D

IIRC, didn't it also completely change its premise halfway through a season? Without googling further I seem to recall that its rating were tanking so the studio just swapped everything around, changed the plot n' all.

God, there's a show that has not aged well in the slightest.

I actually don't think its too bad when compered to say ''Space 1999'' now that is a show that has aged terribly and the Horror channel are currently showing it weekly. Its good fun to watch but there is so much wrong with it as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I've only caught bits of it on, I think it's Forces TV or something? And yeah, it has dated. It was VERY much a product of the late 70's/early 80's. But some have dated worse. The effects and sets, ships etc are actually pretty good.... for the time. Sure, everything was adventure-of-the-week with little or no story arc but this was typical of the time. The gender politics is actually, at times, pretty modern (And at times really REALLY not, it must be admitted :) )

But, alas, everything ages. How will people look at The Big Bang Theory in 40 years? (Ah, it's OK to laugh at him because he is clearly meant to be on the Autism spectrum and laughing at people with Autism is OK. And yes, it's nice that they hooked up. Despite the fact that he's smart and she's hot. Crazy worlds colliding)

But yeah, for me, it's the fashion and the "futuristic" music every time they are in a bar or something. Hahahaha. Oh God :)

Plus, it had Gary Coleman. That guy turned up EVERYWHERE then :)

41eGmw1CXCL.jpg

801ced6421c33f3316e74d40c0636462.jpg

Plus, yeah... Wilma......

04b159ec8b2db9cebfef1c2820ab4a60.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Last Christmas i got a gift from my mum The very same i got when i was a kid in 1981, mint in box Starfighter with mini version from Corgi, This time it will not leave the box. That ship for me along side the USS Enterprise is one of the best star ships ever committed to film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I always preferred the Liberator from Blake's 7 myself.

Advertisement