Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next game to get into

Options
  • 20-10-2019 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Major souls fan here . Completed ds1 to 3 along with blood borne numerous times. Have also completed witcher 3 twice and also GOW once and I'm coming to the end of AC Odyessy.I have Red Dead 2. I paid 100 euro for the ultimate edition. I found it hard to get into but I probably should persevere . I can't trade it in as purchased on download. I also have vampyr and shadow of collosus downloaded

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

SotC would be my recommendation. It's not too long, but it's an amazing experience imo. Doesn't quite have the tone of the original, but still brilliant.

RDR2, you're either going to like it or not, I thought it was an amazing technical feat let down by some crappy game play decisions and a story that kinda fizzles out about 2/3rds of the way through, but has a good ending imo.

If you've enjoyed Odyssey, get the DLC, more of a good thing is not bad! Working through the DLC myself right now, and if it wasn't for God of War, it would have been my GOTY that year.

Vampyr I don't know anything about, but apparently the combat leaves it down.

You didn't mention the format; console or PC? If you have a PS4, The Last of Us (currently free with PS+) is a must. Similarly, Horizon Zero Dawn is an utterly fantastic game, original, strong voice acting from most, great story and enjoyable combat/mechanics. You can get drawn right into the world if you want to try and collect all the audio/data logs.

Other than that, i'm sure someone will recommend some of the following:

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood/New Order
    Doom (2016)
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution/Mankind Divided are pretty good
    The Outer Wilds is a unique experience, a 21 minute loop game
    Subnautica is getting great reviews from critics and players alike
    The 2 Guacamelee games are fantastic short-ish side scrollers
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance if you want realistic medieval combat
    Wreckfest reminds me of Destruction Derby 2, great little demolition game in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Major souls fan here .

Sekiro and/or Nioh next tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

nix wrote: »
    Sekiro and/or Nioh next tbh

I found nioh way to hard . Got pretty far in it though . I was always crap at parrying so couldn't take to sekiro

SotC would be my recommendation. It's not too long, but it's an amazing experience imo. Doesn't quite have the tone of the original, but still brilliant.

RDR2, you're either going to like it or not, I thought it was an amazing technical feat let down by some crappy game play decisions and a story that kinda fizzles out about 2/3rds of the way through, but has a good ending imo.

If you've enjoyed Odyssey, get the DLC, more of a good thing is not bad! Working through the DLC myself right now, and if it wasn't for God of War, it would have been my GOTY that year.

Vampyr I don't know anything about, but apparently the combat leaves it down.

You didn't mention the format; console or PC? If you have a PS4, The Last of Us (currently free with PS+) is a must. Similarly, Horizon Zero Dawn is an utterly fantastic game, original, strong voice acting from most, great story and enjoyable combat/mechanics. You can get drawn right into the world if you want to try and collect all the audio/data logs.

Other than that, i'm sure someone will recommend some of the following:

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood/New Order
    Doom (2016)
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution/Mankind Divided are pretty good
    The Outer Wilds is a unique experience, a 21 minute loop game
    Subnautica is getting great reviews from critics and players alike
    The 2 Guacamelee games are fantastic short-ish side scrollers
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance if you want realistic medieval combat
    Wreckfest reminds me of Destruction Derby 2, great little demolition game in fairness

It's PS4

I have Doom downloaded

Yea I've played the last of us and horizon zero.dawn . Gotten very far in horizon.

Question. I went through God of war very quickly . Is there sections of exploring around the bridge area I may gave missed out on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I found nioh way to hard

It gets easier the further you progress i found.. Once you get passed the bat chick boss you can do any boss..
    I was always crap at parrying so couldn't take to sekiro

Ah its not too bad, you can get away with mildly spamming the parry button and get away with it, practice makes perfect :)

I never parried really in Souls games, its alot more refind in Sekiro, it will eventually click the more you try it..

Other than that, i would recommend Resident evil 2 (remake), theres also the Yakuza games which are meant to be great. I have Yakuza zero but just havent taken the plunge yet.

Oh and defo recommend Monster hunter world if you havent done so already, fantastic game rich in content, new expansion just out also..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Question. I went through God of war very quickly . Is there sections of exploring around the bridge area I may gave missed out on

There are a few tidbits alright, but it's not as open world exploration as other games, still linear. But you wouldn't have missed anything spectacular. It's easy enough to Platinum too. Did you beat all the Valkyries?

I'd also look into getting the PSVR, some amazing games worth the price imo, such as Beat Saber, Astrobot: Rescue Mission, Superhot VR...

nix wrote: »
    It gets easier the further you progress i found.. Once you get passed the bat chick boss you can do any boss..

Ah its not too bad, you can get away with mildly spamming the parry button and get away with it, practice makes perfect :)

I never parried really in Souls games, its alot more refind in Sekiro, it will eventually click the more you try it..

Other than that, i would recommend Resident evil 2 (remake), theres also the Yakuza games which are meant to be great. I have Yakuza zero but just havent taken the plunge yet.

Oh and defo recommend Monster hunter world if you havent done so already, fantastic game rich in content, new expansion just out also..

Finished the Re 2 remake too. Been a massive fan of those games through out the years . They took a massive nose dive with 5 and 6 . I enjoyed 7 immensely. I know Re4 is considered the best in the series but my favourite is the remake of the original for its atmosphere. In fact that's what I'm going to replay again . I have it downloaded on PS4 and considering it's almost Halloween good choice to get back into

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Code vein or the surge maybe if you're big into souls games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Came in here to +1 Monster Hunter World. If you think Souls combat has weight to it, you aint seen nothing yet!

One that wasn't mentioned above was Demon Souls. Get your hands on a PS3 and try it out, great game that is really due a remake/remaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

If you like the Souls series, I highly recommend the Surge series. The second one only came out recently.

Only drawback about them is the total lack of multiplayer. So no co-op, not even messages... probably due to being made by a much smaller dev team compared to FromSoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

BeerWolf wrote: »
    If you like the Souls series, I highly recommend the Surge series. The second one only came out recently.

Only drawback about them is the total lack of multiplayer. So no co-op, not even messages... probably due to being made by a much smaller dev team compared to FromSoft.

First surge is a tenner in gamestop. 2nd one has some multiplier by leaving symbols and leaving a banner that if not spotted you get more tech. It is slower than souls but short cuts are placed very well.
    Play the first and the 2nd will drop soon I say.

Advertisement