Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

peteeeed wrote: »
    yes we men have it so hard , poor us
    You sound like a woman .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

blinding wrote: »
    You sound like a woman .

haha its just all the man babies moaning all the time, the right wing media has managed to convince white straight men that they are the ones who are oppressed , even the director of this movie had a bit of a cry but that's a discussion for another thread

anyway i loved this movie , best I've seen all year

haha its just all the man babies moaning all the time, the right wing media has managed to convince white straight men that they are the ones who are oppressed , even the director of this movie had a bit of a cry but that's a discussion for another thread

Ha. How reductionist. I suppose that's what happens when the left mainstream media convince anyone who isn't a straight white male, that they have less privilege and should expect straight white men to apologise for things that are out of their control.

The film was great. The selfish part of me wants a sequel but deep down I know it would more than likely dilute the impact this had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

anyway i loved this movie , best I've seen all year

And just look at the reaction this film received from the idiot critics who seem to have no integrity and give a film a low score due to their own politics rather than if the film is actually good or not. In the past left/Right and everyone in-between used to be able to enjoy things together, what the hell happened.

BTW the Joker did not even deal with politics at all IMO and I think most of the hate was down to the Directer pointing out how outrage culture has ruined comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

And just look at the reaction this film received from the idiot critics who seem to have no integrity and give a film a low score due to their own politics rather than if the film is actually good or not. In the past left/Right and everyone in-between used to be able to enjoy things together, what the hell happened.

BTW the Joker did not even deal with politics at all IMO and I think most of the hate was down to the Directer pointing out how outrage culture has ruined comedy.

I don't go out of my way to read many critics but the majority of the ones posters specifically moaned about on this thread had understandable issues with the movie. This movie has many flaws that have absolutely nothing to do with politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I don't go out of my way to read many critics but the majority of the ones posters specifically moaned about on this thread had understandable issues with the movie. This movie has many flaws that have absolutely nothing to do with politics.

Pull the other leg, Film critics at least the modern day incarnation of what used to be called a film critic is filled with politically motivate ideologues, Just looking at the disparity of Critic vs Audience score on some thing like Rotten tomatoes shows how out of touch and misguided these people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Pull the other leg, Film critics at least the modern day incarnation of what used to be called a film critic is filled with politically motivate ideologues, Just looking at the disparity of Critic vs Audience score on some thing like Rotten tomatoes shows how out of touch and misguided these people are.

I think there has always been a disparity between critic and audience on certain films, but I absolutely agree political ideologues have invaded the art of film criticism.

The problem is that RT added hundreds of critics as part of a diversity drive. There are critics now under their umbrella who openly admit that they score films based on how PC they are, I **** you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

For someone who claims to want everyone to hold hands and watch movies together in peace you have some very aggressive opinions about people who disagree with you.

Plenty of posters far more eloquent than I have gone into detail of numerous issues they have with the movie, I presume you throw them into the same bucket as the critics.

I try not to stress about critic or audience scores, most of the time they're both incredibly flawed. It is however very easy to just point to them as some sort of proof rather than try to discuss the deeper issues raised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Here's a mad idea, how about we stick to discussing the film, instead of this tired, inevitable "why I hate critics etc etc" every damn thread descends into, coupled with phantom whataboutery for good measure. Read more whinging about agendas than the agendas themselves.

Kinda ironic to complain about critics not just reviewing the film, when that's what this thread has become :rolleyes: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

pixelburp wrote: »
    Kinda ironic to complain about critics not just reviewing the film, when that's what this thread has become :rolleyes: :)

As I pointed out earlier, there are sites specifically dedicated to rating films based on how PC they are.

What's your opinion on that? It's a new enough craze as I can only imagine how The Dark Knight would have been received in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

What's your opinion on that? It's a new enough craze as I can only imagine how The Dark Knight would have been received in this day and age.

Ha. Imagine blazing saddles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As I pointed out earlier, there are sites specifically dedicated to rating films based on how PC they are.

Start a thread and find out ;) but there's a site or sub reddit out there for every walk of life so not sure what some random niche movie site proves. At least they're up front about their agenda, previous posts were just the usual shotgun "f*ck critics" ranting that's in every second thread now. Like I said I read more whinging about pc agendas than actual pc agendas. There's loads of Christian movie review sites out there, , does that mean film criticism is awash with God botherers? Of course not. But when folks share reviews from the Guardian (or similar) that - surprise - prints an editorialised review, then IMO people are just seeking reasons for a whinge :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The levels of ‘anti-woke’ Internet whinging surpassed the actual levels of critical wokeness a long time ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I saw it tonight, I thought it was excellent. Somebody earlier mentioned Gangs of New York and Daniel Day Lewis and while Joker is a considerably better film I think it's very similar in that the acting just raises it up a level.

Cinema I went to was packed and I can tell you for Waterford a film in its second week doesn't get packed.

A win all around in my opinion and I hope they leave it at that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

ETA: Should add that the only thing I hated was the end in a certain alley with a certain family after a certain movie. In fact, it was kind of spoiled for me beforehand but I think I wasn't prepared for how bad it would be in context. So forced. So unnecessary.
    I hate it when the hero's origin and the villain's origin are changed to be connected.

Completely agree! It was so unecessary, didn’t add anything to or fit properly with the film. They could honestly have left the entire
    Wayne family
    part out of the movie altogether & it would have lost nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Seen it for the second time tonight, just as gripping the first time. Loved the little bits of comedy here and there throughout ie "dont forget to smile!" scribbled out to say "dont smile"! And of course walking into the exit door at the hospital. JPs performance at the end when Joker was on the Murray show was brilliant. Whats peoples theory though on the bloody footprints in the final scene? Did he kill the social worker/counsellor? Also, why was the "girlfriends" death not shown whereas every other death was, was there any significance to that?

Here's a mad idea, how about we stick to discussing the film, instead of this tired, inevitable "why I hate critics etc etc" every damn thread descends into, coupled with phantom whataboutery for good measure. Read more whinging about agendas than the agendas themselves.

I don't hate critics, I just think it's a joke of a profession barring the very rare exception, especially in this day and age.

'Phantom whataboutery'...'anti-wokeness'...Jesus actually wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I'm not much of a comic book reader but I'm interested to know has Thomas Wayne ever been portrayed in this way before? In Most of the batman movies he's been very much for the people and someone Bruce looked up to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

^^^^^
    He totally killed the therapist at the end, no question. The reason I suspect it wasn't explicitly shown is for the same reason why they didn't show his love interest and her daughter's death: the film was too timid to show the murder of people who didn't deserve it. Literally, every person Joker killed kind of had it coming. The film does want us to sympathise with Arthur and you can't really do that when he's killing the "good" people.

Did he kill her though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

lola85 wrote: »
    Did he kill her though?

Definitely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭tigger123

lola85 wrote: »
    Did he kill her though?

I didn't see any evidence of it. And am kind of baffled by the idea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Is this movie shocking for a 14 year old who watched all Breaking Bad episodes and loved it?

xboxdad wrote: »
    Is this movie shocking for a 14 year old who watched all Breaking Bad episodes and loved it?

Probably, given what you're saying but whether he gets in is another matter. Some cinemas are applying a very strict 16+ only policy, so he may not get in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't hate critics, I just think it's a joke of a profession barring the very rare exception, especially in this day and age.

'Phantom whataboutery'...'anti-wokeness'...Jesus actually wept.

I have the same opinion tbh re: critics. Far more interested in being PC than actually doing some critical analysis.

Rotten Tomatoes in particular has lost all credibility for me in the past 3-4 years.

Probably, given what you're saying but whether he gets in is another matter. Some cinemas are applying a very strict 16+ only policy, so he may not get in.

Apart from the cinema issue, you meant "probably not" or? Thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Film should be 18s imo and probably would have been had there been anything sexual in it.

According to BBFC both BB and Joker are 15+.
    That's why I'm trying to get a feel of how much "worse" Joker can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

xboxdad wrote: »
    According to BBFC both BB and Joker are 15+.
    That's why I'm trying to get a feel of how much "worse" Joker can be.
    It's not so much that it's worse. And kids these days are exposed to so much screen violence that that would not be an issue.
    But Joker has adult themes about alienation and disconnection and is a movie made for adults.
    Don't think a 14 year old would get it. He would be bored. Possibly slightly disturbed as well.

Advertisement