Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2019 Good viewing positions for kids?

• 14-10-2019 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,
    First time doing DCM and looking for viewing positions along the course that allow my partner and kids to view the marathon passing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi,
    First time doing DCM and looking for viewing positions along the course that allow my partner and kids to view the marathon passing?

There are lots of places where space isn't a problem. The route is a loop but most spectators come in on arterial routes and then congregate at areas close to the junctions with the route. If you move away from these intersection points it's much easier for kids to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

In 2017 my husband brought the kids to the phoenix park, they stood at the momentum on Chesterfield Avenue, it was busy but the kids kept themselves occupied going up and down steps and playing with other kids there, and because my OH could see me coming from a distance they were all at the bottom of the steps in plenty of time for high-5s and for me to discard my gloves etc. That's around 5m/8k. After seeing me there they went and got brunch then and then drove across and parked at the Herbert Park Hotel in Ballsbridge and were lined up in time to see me again. No high-5s this time but i was able to muster waves and smiles for them and it really perked me up to see them at that late stage.

It's a good idea to arrange in advance so you will be looking out for them at the right time, right down to knowing which side of the road they will be on etc. If i hadn't been expecting to see them in Ballsbridge i doubt i'd have seen them but it kept me going for a mile beforehand knowing i was going to see them soon and watching out for them, it sounds cheesy but it's amazing how much of a lift it gave me.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Thanks for the replies...

Suppose we are looking for a place to keep kids occupied as they are all v young (three under 5yrs) so Phoneix Park sounds like the best bet. Although the park is closed to cars from early in the morning right? so we'll have to work something out...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Suppose we are looking for a place to keep kids occupied as they are all v young (three under 5yrs) so Phoneix Park sounds like the best bet. Although the park is closed to cars from early in the morning right? so we'll have to work something out...

From the area around the Hole in the Wall/ Comiskeys pubs on Blackhorse Avenue to the Phoenix monument on Chesterfield Avenue is only 700m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Two of my kids were under 5 in 2017. In the Phoenix Park there's is no shortage of space for them to run around. The 2nd time they met me the baby was napping in the buggy and the next youngest was up on daddy's shoulders on look out for me! If your kids are anything like mine then have plenty of snacks readily available and it should be grand LOL! I don't know what your buggy set up is but i know my OH said afterward that he was glad to have the buggy board getting to/from the 2nd viewing point and again at the finish as it meant he could just walk a bit more easily through the crowds. If it's as nice a day as the past 2 years then there will be a great buzz around and plenty of other children running around especially in the PP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

ariana` wrote: »
    Two of my kids were under 5 in 2017. In the Phoenix Park there's is no shortage of space for them to run around. The 2nd time they met me the baby was napping in the buggy and the next youngest was up on daddy's shoulders on look out for me! If your kids are anything like mine then have plenty of snacks readily available and it should be grand LOL! I don't know what your buggy set up is but i know my OH said afterward that he was glad to have the buggy board getting to/from the 2nd viewing point and again at the finish as it meant he could just walk a bit more easily through the crowds. If it's as nice a day as the past 2 years then there will be a great buzz around and plenty of other children running around especially in the PP.

Great info... Thanks a mil...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Where are you coming from. Lots of options made easier by downloading the dcm app. Gives you an ability to track him and gauge where to go.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/kbc-dublin-marathon-series/id1233772224

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

ted1 wrote: »
    Where are you coming from. Lots of options made easier by downloading the dcm app. Gives you an ability to track him and gauge where to go.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/kbc-dublin-marathon-series/id1233772224

On the day with the volume of people using the app its not very accurate so just allow for that. Last year it was give or take at least 10 to 15 minutes if not more..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Great info... Thanks a mil...

Also its hard for spectators to see the runner comming as there is alot, so ensure the runner knows roughly where you are and the side of the road so he can move to that side in adavance

Advertisement