Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First class Dublin to Belfast - what's the extras?

Options
  • 13-10-2019 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

What are the advantages of travelling first class on the enterprise service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

You don't have to breathe the same air as the unwashed masses for a short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You get a train host, wider reclining seats with extra leg room, blinds on the windows and lights at your table, your food orders come via table service and you get complimentary drinks and morning papers. Whether or not you reckon it's worth €20 a leg extra is up to you. It's a plus if you've a business trip that day and need to plan out stuff or if you are on a red eye and the R+R time is needed but TBH Standard Class is grand if slightly less roomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

1st class is handy if the train is very busy but otherwise standard is more than adequate. The video below gives some idea of what's available. Sadly the breakfast consumed in the video is a poor looking replacement for the 'Ulster Fry' that I remember from my regular trips on the Enterprise in the 70s/80s and even the '90s. Everything swimming in beans is what one would expect in a greasy spoon.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Sadly the breakfast consumed in the video is a poor looking replacement for the 'Ulster Fry' that I remember from my regular trips on the Enterprise in the 70s/80s and even the '90s. Everything swimming in beans is what one would expect in a greasy spoon.

Poxy healthy eating buzz :D

For what it's worth, the food is cooked on board and not reheats. I've had far worse in regular cafes though on board there's an obvious novelty going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you are bringing a bike, you are much neaer the guards van in 1st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I used to travel quite regular on the cork Dublin line and was in first class (gold whatever they call it) more often than I was in peasant class

The seats in first on the cork line really make it all the better , the bigger electronic moving seat was much better for sleeping in which I did a fair whack of.

But I got it for free , but if i were to pay I'd pay the bit extra for the comfort.

From the video the seats on the Enterprise don't seem to be movable like the cork line, might be worth investigating

The seats are reclinable but if I wanted to sleep I wouldn't bother paying extra as it's easy enough to sleep in the standard class - it's a proper train not a glorified sardine can like the ICRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For such a relatively short journey, I wouldn't bother with 1st Class. Book a seat in economy and bring your own sandwiches/favourite grub. It is quite comfortable.

The only issue I have with the Enterprise is the corralling before boarding. But there we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

OP if traveling in next few weeks save your money as the 7.35 ex Dub and 10.35 ex Belfast doesn’t have full first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

For such a relatively short journey, I wouldn't bother with 1st Class. Book a seat in economy and bring your own sandwiches/favourite grub. It is quite comfortable.

The only issue I have with the Enterprise is the corralling before boarding. But there we are.

Is there a reason for the corralling? I always found it a bit odd.

• Advertisement

Well it's not really corralling, there's a so-called 'Enterprise Lounge/Waiting Area' which allows Enterprise passengers to escape the general melee that is the concourse in Connolly. Would that such a thing existed for Rosslare passengers who have to fight with commuters for space on Platform.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    OP if traveling in next few weeks save your money as the 7.35 ex Dub and 10.35 ex Belfast doesn’t have full first class.

So book first class, travel standard and claim the full refund...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Brexit preparation...

The waiting area is there to facilitate secure checks for immigration or customs, should they ever be required. It makes things a little easier to hold and board passengers whenever there are delays to services.

Advertisement