Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Smugness about Brexit?

Options
  • 15-10-2019 10:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

I must say I am amazed at how so many people here assume the UK will die as a nation or become third world with Brexit. London is still the biggest financial centre in the world. The Irish are going to look like the mugs if the UK booms post Brexit and we are stuck in a failing EU deep in recession.

I don't know what the outcome will be, but I do wonder about the smug bravado from our fair isle regarding this issue. The UK and Trump could form a bloc and the current D4 smirks could be wiped of their faces very quickly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

MrAbyss wrote: »
    the UK will die as a nation or become third world with Brexit. London is still the biggest financial centre in the world.

Their own civil service has come to the conclusion that Brexit will destroy them. And London financial influence will decline. Nothing smug about it. Just facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Their own civil service has come to the conclusion that Brexit will destroy them. And London financial influence will decline. Nothing smug about it. Just facts.

Civil servants have a vested interest in the EU as it provides endless junkets and career moves. That's hardly an unbiased opinion. It's big business that counts. Not Nigel the Labour appointed clerk in Brixton pissed off that no more free trips to a Transgender Farmers conference in Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Civil servants have a vested interest in the EU as it provides endless junkets and career moves. That's hardly an unbiased opinion. It's big business that counts. Not Nigel the Labour appointed clerk in Brixton pissed off that no more free trips to a Transgender Farmers conference in Madrid.

Nonsense. They see me trolling, they hating, .....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

From a UK business website
    Although not all have cited Brexit as a direct or indirect reason they’ll be leaving the UK, here’ s a comprehensive list of the major businesses who are set to leave the UK:
    • Airbus
    • AXA
    • Bank of America
    • Barclays
    • Dyson
    • Flybmi
    • Ford
    • Goldman Sachs
    • Honda
    • Hitachi
    • HSBC
    • JP Morgan
    • Lloyds
    • P&O
    • Panasonic
    • Philips
    • Sony
    • Toshiba
    • UBS
    • Unilever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I must say I am amazed at how so many people here assume the UK will die as a nation or become third world with Brexit. London is still the biggest financial centre in the world. The Irish are going to look like the mugs if the UK booms post Brexit and we are stuck in a failing EU deep in recession.

I don't know what the outcome will be, but I do wonder about the smug bravado from our fair isle regarding this issue. The UK and Trump could form a bloc and the current D4 smirks could be wiped of their faces very quickly.

Who here has said that the UK will die or become a third world nation?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah yes people often write extensively researched articles based on their ability to get two free business trips per year to easily accessible Ryanair destinations.

That is a fraction of the companies in the City of London. Also, it reminds me of the likes of these celebs who say they'll leave Britain if such and such wins a general election but the never leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Someone's been up past bedtime reading their alt right forums..

Go to bed kiddo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Big business is opposed to Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,869 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't think it's smugness....we are just a bit bemused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

That is a fraction of the companies in the City of London. Also, it reminds me of the likes of these celebs who say they'll leave Britain if such and such wins a general election but the never leave.

Why didn’t you put your question in either 1 of the 2 Brexit threads to find out rather then a new thread?

Seems to me the same ones who are certain the UK will die in Brexit are the same ones who said Trump wouldn't get elected and if he did the USA would die or he would start a nuclear war.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,869 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Seems to me the same ones who are certain the UK will die in Brexit are the same ones who said Trump wouldn't get elected and if he did the USA would die or he would start a nuclear war.
    It seems to me you have got that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's not Brexit per se, it's the constant, unfailing bumbling ineptitude from British elites who stagger from one disaster to another.

I am particularly loving Boris Johnson, who was initially 50:50 on whether to leave or remain. He saw there was greater political gain on the leave side, then spent years abusing Theresa May and her deal, voting down every proposal she put forward.
    Now he is in power and is getting exactly the same treatment. Now the height of irony is that he will have to present the same deal to parliament this week and try to convince them to back it.

:pac:

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It's not Brexit per se, it's the constant, unfailing bumbling ineptitude from British elites who stagger from one disaster to another.

I am particularly loving Boris Johnson, who was initially 50:50 on whether to leave or remain. He saw there was greater political gain on the leave side, then spent years abusing Theresa May and her deal, voting down every proposal she put forward.
    Now he is in power and is getting exactly the same treatment. Now the height of irony is that he will have to present the same deal to parliament this week and try to convince them to back it.

That's a fair point, but I also think people here think that because of him it's all so Monty Python behind the scenes. We are being given a cartoon version of events by Irish media and commentators. The one possibility that none of them have factored in is that Brexit could be a roaring success for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Civil service is full of lefty loons. Of course they love the EU.

Free Marketeers, the real cogs in the chain of any wealth in any economy, don't like the EU.

Never follow the Civil Service views on anything.

Seems to me that’s a straw man argument plucked out of your arse.

Why didn’t you put your question in either 1 of the 2 Brexit threads to find out rather then a new thread?

Because this is an interesting, stand alone cultural consideration not yet raised.

Civil service is full of lefty loons. Of course they love the EU.

Free Marketeers, the real cogs in the chain of any wealth in any economy, don't like the EU.

Never follow the Civil Service views on anything.

Once again business is opposed to Brexit.

https://www.cbi.org.uk/articles/no-deal-brexit-is-a-tripwire-into-economic-chaos/

The CBI is the confederation of british industry. And it’s fairly understandable that they don’t like Brexit because business people like markets and selling stuff.

IMF now has the UK as the best performing European area economy next year out of the Germans, French, Spanish, Italians etc..despite brexit.

Don't think it listed small economies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's a fair point, but I also think people here think that because of him it's all so Monty Python behind the scenes. We're are being given a cartoon version of events by Irish media and commentators. The one possibility that none of them have factored in is that Brexit could be a roaring success for the UK.

And hey, maybe it will be. I hope it is because we'd all benefit.

I just haven't seen one iota of evidence for success that wasn't published by some conservative pro Brexit think tank and wasn't immediately discredited.

Once again business is opposed to Brexit.

https://www.cbi.org.uk/articles/no-deal-brexit-is-a-tripwire-into-economic-chaos/

The CBI is the confederation of british industry. And it’s fairly understandable that they don’t like Brexit because business people like markets and selling stuff.

You will find it is in some business interests for over regulation and barriers to entry.

Again, those who care about the free market hates these barriers. Big or Small, they should have no protection from a true free market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

What you call smugness i would say is actually schadenfreude, as we are caught on the sideline watching them screw themselves up but also try and finger paddy as trying to get one over on them.

I couldn't give a crap what happens to the English if they did it in a way that didn't destabilize the north and bring back the troubles to Ireland.

I wonder about all the people who support such jingoism, even after the UK have made many attacks on our own country for essentially looking after its own interest.

Who here has said that the UK will die or become a third world nation?

Everybody who has ever uttered a bad word against old britannia. Did you know she leads the waves and never never never shall be slaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

IMF now has the UK as the best performing European area economy next year out of the Germans, French, Spanish, Italians etc..despite brexit.

Don't think it listed small economies.

When did this brexit happen? I must have fallen into a long sleep and completely missed it.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Everybody who has ever uttered a bad word against old britannia. Did you know she leads the waves and never never never shall be slaves?

She is ruling them far more then the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 26,229 ✭✭✭✭noodler

God, where to start?

Could you try again? Maybe with bullet points and explain the basis for each "point" as you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Frightening to think of the impact this huge loss will have on the UK. They are b0lloxed!

She is ruling them far more then the EU

Right you are Admiral, to the colonies with us where we shall open up new markets and prove we are still a global power of significance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Dunno what planet you're on. On my planet we are worried about brexit's impact on our economy, the local job market and peace in NI. Personally I was hoping for aggressive attempts to grab business from them back when the vote was carried - but that was apparently not viable or not polite or something.

I'm a little aghast at the pernicious form of nationalism that seems to be emerging in Britain, and the hostility towards Ireland and Germany. It's all strange and stupid, not good at all.

Advertisement