Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exam qualified ACA/ACCA trainee salaries

Options
  • 22-09-2019 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,
    hoping that I'll be able to get a bit of insight here. Basically, im trying to get an idea of what kind of salaries 3rd year exam qualified, ACA/ACCA trainees are on. With wages going up, I want to know what kind of levels can be expected in the market right now. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Depends how much actual work experience you have and where you got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hereforthechat

Say someone with 3 years experience in a top 10 firm? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hereforthechat

Say someone with 3 years experience in a top 10 firm? Thanks.

Anyone any insight please?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BMHOPE

Depends on location, industry, practice, size of practice or size of business - Limerick pays less than Dublin etc. The best indication is the recruitment sites for a trainee accountant / part qualified position. If it's public sector it goes on a salary scale but accountant positions are for fully qualified accountants in that sector. The ACCA website will also give information on available jobs and the going rate depending on qualifications and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Good newly qualified ACAs are getting 60k (+) in Dublin when they move from training firm into industry. I'm sure good ACCAs get similar.

After 3 years hard to say as it's up to the person - you cut your own deal at that point. Maybe 75k.

Check chartered accountants ireland annual salary survey if you want more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

steamsey wrote: »
    Good newly qualified ACAs are getting 60k (+) in Dublin when they move from training firm into industry. I'm sure good ACCAs get similar.

After 3 years hard to say as it's up to the person - you cut your own deal at that point. Maybe 75k.

Check chartered accountants ireland annual salary survey if you want more info

So a 24 or 25 year old is getting 60k a year in industry. I struggle to believe that. Obviously some could but surely the exception.

The ACA average salary guide is a thing of fiction too by the way

Hi everyone,
    hoping that I'll be able to get a bit of insight here. Basically, im trying to get an idea of what kind of salaries 3rd year exam qualified, ACA/ACCA trainees are on. With wages going up, I want to know what kind of levels can be expected in the market right now. Thanks!

Just qualified? 35k to 40k in regional practice and similar, maybe a little more in industry if you are lucky.

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    So a 24 or 25 year old is getting 60k a year in industry. I struggle to believe that. Obviously some could but surely the exception.

The ACA average salary guide is a thing of fiction too by the way

60k is standard in Dublin for newly qualified ACAs leaving practice and going into industry.

ACA salary guide is a decent guide, nothing fictional about it.

60k is standard in Dublin for newly qualified ACAs leaving practice and going into industry.

ACA salary guide is a decent guide, nothing fictional about it.

ACA guide is so off. I must know 20 or more accountants. None of which are at that average and all gave at least 10 years PQE.

Checked Irish jobs and typical wage is 45k to 50k in industry for qualified accountant with 3 years PQE.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sottol

ACA newly qualified guy started with us in April on 62k - industry Dublin City centre

• Advertisement

Sottol wrote: »
    ACA newly qualified guy started with us in April on 62k - industry Dublin City centre

Madness.

ACA guide is so off. I must know 20 or more accountants. None of which are at that average and all gave at least 10 years PQE.

Checked Irish jobs and typical wage is 45k to 50k in industry for qualified accountant with 3 years PQE.

As it's an average salary, a small number of big earners push the numbers up. But that doesn't mean it's not a good guide. It's close enough to be useful - you're never going to get exact numbers.

I'm not sure why people are questioning this so much but the facts are that the going rate is 60k (+) for a newly qualified in Dublin. You cannot hire an ACA with 3 years PQE for 45-50k in Dublin. Probably not anywhere in the country. Mainly because when you are qualified in one of the Big 4 in Dublin, you'll be on 45-50k. 3 years later - 70k plus if you're decent.

Madness.

It might seem like that but a standard ACA would have:

- 450 points (plus) in the Leaving (with plenty hovering around 500 points)
    - 3-4 year honours degree (usually a 2.1 but at least a 2.2)
    - Then the ACA qualification itself which is 3 to 3.5 years of a serious slog (50+ hour weeks regularly) in a training firm, then 1 -2 evenings a week and some weekends in lectures plus all the professional accountancy exams which are no joke

So minimum of 6 years working directly towards your qualification. (This is the traditional, typical route - there are other options).

Anyway, if you can get through all the above you're worth 60k (+) in the Dublin market.

It might seem like that but a standard ACA would have:

- 450 points (plus) in the Leaving (with plenty hovering around 500 points)
    - 3-4 year honours degree (usually a 2.1 but at least a 2.2)
    - Then the ACA qualification itself which is 3 to 3.5 years of a serious slog (50+ hour weeks regularly) in a training firm, then 1 -2 evenings a week and some weekends in lectures plus all the professional accountancy exams which are no joke

So minimum of 6 years working directly towards your qualification. (This is the traditional, typical route - there are other options).

Anyway, if you can get through all the above you're worth 60k (+) in the Dublin market.

No true to say you would earn that elsewhere. Just browse the jobs. 50k is more likely at best and good job getting it.

Being ACA ain't as unique as you might think. Many have both ACA and CTA now. I know many accountants on mid 30s salaries. Granted Dublin might be different but easy to cherry pick the good examples and ignore those in family businesses etc where paying 60k for a 27 year old accountant isn't a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sottol

No true to say you would earn that elsewhere. Just browse the jobs. 50k is more likely at best and good job getting it.

Being ACA ain't as unique as you might think. Many have both ACA and CTA now. I know many accountants on mid 30s salaries. Granted Dublin might be different but easy to cherry pick the good examples and ignore those in family businesses etc where paying 60k for a 27 year old accountant isn't a thing.

I think Dublin is totally different to elsewhere. I’m due to start a new role in two weeks and I wouldn’t be able to get 40% of my new salary back home. The place I’m leaving paid well (also in Dublin) - no qualified accountants under 60k. A few people 5-7 years qualified on 80 - 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BMHOPE

SME's in limerick pay roughly 50/60 k plus bonus and health insurance. Might get expenses also in senior mgt type roles such as FC, but this would be circa 10 years experience and able to run accounts department plus other duties. Bigger companies pay a bit more, especially multinationals but 75k would be a good salary in Limerick for an accountant. Dublin will pay more but most in ifsc without being a manager are on 70 something.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 x982021

Hi,

Sorry, I just have a quick question

what is PQE? when peoe say they have 3 year of experience, does it count the training years?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 x982021

Hi,

I am wondering if the salary range is for financial accountants or auditors ?

I heard from my colleagues that financial accountants earn way less than auditors, is this true?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement