Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Scirocco or VW Golf GTD

Options
  • 12-10-2019 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hard to decide..... looking at both.... both cars about 2 or 3 years old
    any opinions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

snowdaze wrote: »
    Hard to decide..... looking at both.... both cars about 2 or 3 years old
    any opinions??

I believe the sirocco is a bit sportier than the golf so depends on what you're looking for? Have you seen both cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Gtd all day long. Hell of a car

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

its my partner who is looking. He drove both, loved both,

snowdaze wrote: »
    its my partner who is looking. He drove both, loved both,

More space in the gtd and much better resale value. Not as hard a ride as the scirocco either

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Scirocco is still based on the Mk6 Golf and is pretty cramped inside and feels dated these days.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Scirocco is still based on the Mk6 Golf and is pretty cramped inside and feels dated these days.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Deffo the golf gtd they always seem to hold their value more than any golf including the GTI and r they are sought after brilliant mix of performance and economy the fr leon is a similar alternative the scirrocco is around a long time now and is the name not gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, GTD all day long.

The Scirocco is definitely prettier and they still hold their value well but the severe lack of practicality would get old very very fast. Giant doors, low seating position, effectively no rear seats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

GTD’s certainly don’t hold their value well if that’s a consideration.

As above though, Scirocco is much prettier but underneath the looks, it’s a car that is 10 years older than the Golf. It’s based on the MK5 Golf platform and you’ll notice it in terms of tech and refinement.

If not doing miles, consider a GTI over either of them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JoeA3 wrote: »
    GTD’s certainly don’t hold their value well if that’s a consideration.

Is that a misprint

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is that a misprint

I think it is. Of course if your buying brand new then any car will depreciate but after 2 to 3 years there are few cars that hold up as well as the gtd

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

172 scirocco v 161 gtd
    Both one owner fsh, irish etc
    Similar kms
    Both about 47k km
    Scirocco a few grand less

All the same opinion on here anyway
    Thanks folks

Is that a misprint

I think Joe might be comparing GTD resale values to similar year GTi resale values in which he is correct.

Is that a misprint

It definitely is not. Market is flooded with them (uk imports), trade in values on them have dipped in a big way. Coupled with all the negative press diesel is getting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Everything else being much the same I would go for the sirocco. It's nearly 2 years younger. And running on tried and tested parts.

The Mk7 Golf is around 7 years now, how much more tried and tested does it need to be? They will both share the same range of engines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It definitely is not. Market is flooded with them (uk imports), trade in values on them have dipped in a big way. Coupled with all the negative press diesel is getting etc

For a new one, you would probably be hit hard, I would imagine if used ones are cheap, then you should be ok buying a used one like the OP is. Certainly there were no really cheap ones in the uk when I was changing a few months ago.
    I think they used to be bonkers money second hand and have slipped down to just expensive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Mk7 Golf is around 7 years now, how much more tried and tested does it need to be? They will both share the same range of engines too.

And some are still fetching mad money.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

effectively no rear seats etc.

Plenty room in the back! much bigger than youd expect

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

Golf GTD all day long for me too

Dont mind the bad rap diesel is getting wont make much difference short term

Good power off the GTD and nice enough space inside and space for a baby seat if need be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I bought a 151 GTD in July last year for 22.5k. Nice spec, 55k miles one owner car. I've 80k up on it now and its trade in value is 15-17k depending where you go. That's hefty enough depreciation imo, some garages are asking €25k for 151 GTi's, both cars would have been pretty close on price new. I'm planning on keeping it long term anyway so i'm not too bothered about resale value now.

They are a very nice car, quick enough and relatively economical but a GTI would be more fun to drive and not so uneconomical. If it was a choice between a GTD and a Scirocco i'd pick the MK7 all day. As said the Scirocco is based on an old platform now.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I bought a 151 GTD in July last year for 22.5k. Nice spec, 55k miles one owner car. I've 80k up on it now and its trade in value is 15-17k depending where you go. That's hefty enough depreciation imo, some garages are asking €25k for 151 GTi's, both cars would have been pretty close on price new. I'm planning on keeping it long term anyway so i'm not too bothered about resale value now.

They are a very nice car, quick enough and relatively economical but a GTI would be more fun to drive and not so uneconomical. If it was a choice between a GTD and a Scirocco i'd pick the MK7 all day. As said the Scirocco is based on an old platform now.

Should have gone to the uk boss, you would have had your car at least 5 grand cheaper. Not an option if you have to trade I know but the savings in the uk are massive

Gerry G wrote: »
    Should have gone to the uk boss, you would have had your car at least 5 grand cheaper. Not an option if you have to trade I know but the savings in the uk are massive

It was a UK import and I had a relatively new car to trade against it, so wouldn't work out that way. And for a similar spec car as my own it was around 20k at the time to import. I had done the sums on it. They have fallen in value substantially since though. I know of a very nice 182 which could be bought now privately and he is asking 31k. It was 46 new.

Gerry G wrote:
    much better resale value.
    you would have had your car at least 5 grand cheaper. Not an option if you have to trade I know but the savings in the uk are massive

You've managed to contradict yourself and prove my earlier point.

It was a UK import and I had a relatively new car to trade against it, so wouldn't work out that way. And for a similar spec car as my own it was around 20k at the time to import. I had done the sums on it. They have fallen in value substantially since though. I know of a very nice 182 which could be bought now privately and he is asking 31k. It was 46 new.

Jaysus, he'll do very well to get anywhere near 31k for it

You've managed to contradict yourself and prove my earlier point.

How did i contradict myself? The op is buying a second hand gtd which has much better resale value than a second hand scirocco?? Am I missing something?

Jaysus, he'll do very well to get anywhere near 31k for it

So 15k in a year is good a rate of depreciation?

So 15k in a year is good a rate of depreciation?

It's **** depreciation but its standard that any car bought brand new depreciates insanely in it's first 2 years. Why people continue to be shocked by this is beyond me.

It's **** depreciation but its standard that any car bought brand new depreciates insanely in it's first 2 years. Why people continue to be shocked by this is beyond me.

I'm not shocked, what you said was that 2-3 year old GTD's are one of the best cars to hold their value, I don't believe this to be true, but in this case yes they would probably hold value better than a Scirocco would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

doh1988 wrote: »
    Plenty room in the back! much bigger than youd expect

My arse it is! Friend of mine had one, there's no headroom or legroom and the lack of back doors is a serious pain in the for passengers.

I'm 6'4, I've had the misfortune of squeezing into the back too many times. The Golf has plenty of room in the back.

Advertisement