Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up Alexa

Options
  • 09-09-2019 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I was wondering if anyone could help. I would like to set up Alexa voice controls in my house for lights,heating,appliances etc. From what I’ve heard this would be absolutely amazing for me as I’m newly paralyzed and I’d love to be able to access everything in my home again by myself. It would also be great if I could make a phone call from voice control this would give me peace of mind in case I ever fell transferring from my bed to the chair or just fell out of my chair.
    The problem is that I’m a complete novice when it comes to things like this and have no idea how it works or how to go about setting it up. I can’t afford to get someone into do it. Would it be something I could do myself ? And what would I need to get started? Is it possible to buy a starter pack ? I have a good internet service I take it it’s worked from that. Sorry for the stupid questions but as I said I have no idea about it only what I saw in the adds on Telly but it would give me so much independence back. I would really appreciate it if someone would explain it to me in layman’s terms how it’s worked and how I get started. Thanks so much for reading and sorry for the long rambling post. I’m just excited about the thought of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

You will have more look over here https://touch.boards.ie/forum/1777

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

katie. wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone could help. I would like to set up Alexa voice controls in my house for lights,heating,appliances etc. From what I’ve heard this would be absolutely amazing for me as I’m newly paralyzed and I’d love to be able to access everything in my home again by myself. It would also be great if I could make a phone call from voice control this would give me peace of mind in case I ever fell transferring from my bed to the chair or just fell out of my chair.
    The problem is that I’m a complete novice when it comes to things like this and have no idea how it works or how to go about setting it up. I can’t afford to get someone into do it. Would it be something I could do myself ? And what would I need to get started? Is it possible to buy a starter pack ? I have a good internet service I take it it’s worked from that. Sorry for the stupid questions but as I said I have no idea about it only what I saw in the adds on Telly but it would give me so much independence back. I would really appreciate it if someone would explain it to me in layman’s terms how it’s worked and how I get started. Thanks so much for reading and sorry for the long rambling post. I’m just excited about the thought of it.
    Hi,
    Last January I set up alexa in my 70 year old mothers house;
    She lives alone, cant use a computer and doesn't have a smart phone just a basic mobile phone,

I recommend you purchase an "Amazon Echo Plus" to start off
    The plus has a built in hub and temperature sensor to know the room temperature.

I download the Amazon app on my phone then the phone communicated with the echo device to connect it to the wifi in my mothers house,
    I've since deleted the app from my phone and her devices function on there own,

I have also set up a Hive heating controller which she can now control the heating using her voice to set temperature or turn it on her a set amount of time,

I've also fitted to Amazon smart plugs,
    They just plug in like a double adapter
    You can name each plug for example she has an electric fire; so the socket is named "the fire"
    If she says "Alexa turn on the fire"
    Click the fire is on,
    Same for "the sitting room light"

You can also set profiles groups,
    If she says "Alexa its getting dark outside"
    I've programmed it to respond "it is pauline, the evenings are closing in"
    Followed by activation of the fire and the sitting room light,

If she says "alexa Goodnight" it will respond to say Goodnight pauline followed by reading a random story and turning off all sockets,

I can advise you on all the devices,
    She has an Amazon echo plus in the kitchen,
    An Amazon echo Dot in the sitting room and another Dot in the bedroom,

I've also signed up for spotify family account, I pay €15 per month for five personal accounts; I've linked her Amazon account to a spotify account, she can now request any song atall and it will play in one or all of the devices throughout the house,
    She can also call the kitchen bedroom or sitting room from another device.

I also have a brand new echo connect which works by enabling the echo to use the landline telephone; I've listed it for sale on adverts but if your interested I'll ship to you for free as I feel you would get good use from it when installed along with an Amazon echo plus.

I've documented alot of information here:
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/105303-advice-buying-amazon-echo/
    You may like to read,

I can advise further advise on this forum as to link items to purchase
    Hope this helps I prefer forum communication as its openly documented to possibly help others however I can provide my email if you are interested in the echo connect unit.

Advertisement