Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Designs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

The Eye on the other hand was great.

My favourite GD episode is still the 20K build in the forest. Legend.

T’was fab alright. Thought it was interesting that it didn’t feature in Kevin’s 5 memorable GD. In fact, he chose Paddy’s container home as probably his favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Great thread, really like this program. Mainly because while Kevin is a brilliant host your not stuck to one architect and one design.

One of my favorites has to be the hedgehog co-op, especially after they did the follow on years later. How the build process empowered allot of the people living their and they created a community and not just the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,442 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This lighthouse episode was the first one I watched (just out of curiousity from reading this thread).
    That guy lost so much from the project. I half expected an epilogue with the two girls in their 40s reminiscing about their dad, now in a psychiatric hospital.

Enjoyed the show though.... I'll start recording it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

There was a great episode few years ago of an Irish guy in England he renovated an old lifeboat launch house did an amazing job and managed not to disclose the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

There was a great episode few years ago of an Irish guy in England he renovated an old lifeboat launch house did an amazing job and managed not to disclose the costs.

Remember that episode. Lovely couple.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    This lighthouse episode was the first one I watched (just out of curiousity from reading this thread).
    That guy lost so much from the project. I half expected an epilogue with the two girls in their 40s reminiscing about their dad, now in a psychiatric hospital.

Enjoyed the show though.... I'll start recording it now.

20 years worth of episodes floating around some real gems, one of my favorites and is an Irish one is related to this story https://www.irishcentral.com/news/sale-irish-island-castle-vulture-fund-withdraw/.

The guy building it was away with the fairies when it came to building plans and the law, which resulted in some interesting results.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭prunudo

Calhoun wrote: »
    20 years worth of episodes floating around some real gems, one of my favorites and is an Irish one is related to this story https://www.irishcentral.com/news/sale-irish-island-castle-vulture-fund-withdraw/.

The guy building it was away with the fairies when it came to building plans and the law, which resulted in some interesting results.

Any of the Irish participants are always great characters.

prunudo wrote: »
    Any of the Irish participants are always great characters.

Indeed they were, the Farmer up the North with his container house which while not for me was really good.

I think Sean was as about eccentric as you get from an Irish perspective.

Its a pity we don't have some more on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,815 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The Eye on the other hand was great.

My favourite GD episode is still the 20K build in the forest. Legend.

This one is on More 4 now !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Random career :)

• Advertisement

Finally got around to watching the lighthouse episode, absolutely brilliant and you could see how much he ****ed himself up early on based upon his method of funding.

It felt in this case like his architects vision really screwed him over and he probably should have done a rethink when the original funds fell through.

The eye house he built was amazing and would have been exactly what they needed.

The barge episode was brilliant, the owner was a donkey who had such an eccentric vision in mind that it went over budget and he built an unfinished monstrosity that nobody wanted to moor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Kevin is back... watched the first episode of the new series last night, not sold on the house tho. It felt a little loveless, the guy IMO had no great drive to design/build it etc... Just hired an architect and paid the money.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Kevin is back... watched the first episode of the new series last night, not sold on the house tho. It felt a little loveless, the guy IMO had no great drive to design/build it etc... Just hired an architect and paid the money.

What station/time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What station/time

It is on C4.. I am not sure what day or time, it was available on demand on my sky box last night

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Found it, take you for the heads up! Have it in now. Ambitious job

Season 21 c4 Wednesday 9pm

New episode on Channel 4 now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Larsso30 wrote: »
    New episode on Channel 4 now

Am watching, it’s ambitious and they seem to be dealt a crap hand in life so I truly hope it all works out for them.

• Advertisement

Oh God I’m in bits for this couple .. hope it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Modest bathroom he said! Wish mine was that modest.

Thargor wrote: »
    Modest bathroom he said! Wish mine was that modest.

We said the same here , it’s stunning fair play to them..

Such an impressive job. Very inspiring couple and stuck to their budget!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What a lovely couple!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Lisha wrote: »
    Oh God I’m in bits for this couple .. hope it works out

Great to see this back, maybe it more a reflection of our times but I've noticed more heartfelt stories with the people involved in recent seasons (a good thing btw).

Akabusi wrote: »
    Great to see this back, maybe it more a reflection of our times but I've noticed more heartfelt stories with the people involved in recent seasons (a good thing btw).

Agreed. Though some of the car crash episodes are the ones that still steal the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Agreed. Though some of the car crash episodes are the ones that still steal the headlines.

Yes, two that stick in my mind were the music producer guy who was basically left with nothing and the guy in the wheelchair that had his wife leave him. Felt really bad for those guys to see their dreams and families fall apart.

Akabusi wrote: »
    Yes, two that stick in my mind were the music producer guy who was basically left with nothing and the guy in the wheelchair that had his wife leave him. Felt really bad for those guys to see their dreams and families fall apart.

The music producer guy was such a vanity project. Stunning but still out there.

The wheelchair one was heartbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nice enough for a bunker house (a bit bland) but why is Kevin going on like this guy has reinvented the wheel? These types of houses have been around forever, Grand Designs has done about 10 of them over the years.

Advertisement