Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it so taboo for me to own a medical card?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't remember how I got mine nor do I know how one applies for a card.

You qualify for a full med card if you have a low income:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/medical_cards_and_gp_visit_cards/medical_card_means_test_under_70s.html#l6aeed

Assessment of income
    Weekly income limit (gross less tax, Universal Social Charge and PRSI)

Category Aged under 66 Aged over 66

Single person living alone €184 €201.50

Single person living with family €164 €173.50

Couple, married/cohabiting/civil partners (or lone parent with dependent children) €266.50 €298

Allowance for each of first 2 children aged under 16 €38 €38
    Allowance for 3rd and each subsequent child under 16 €41 €41
    Allowance for each of first 2 children aged over 16 (with no income)
    €39 €39
    Allowance for 3rd and each subsequent child over 16 (with no income) €42.50 €42.50
    Each dependant over 16 years in full-time third-level education, who is not grant aided €78 €78

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I don't have one but it was my understanding you had to summit information to requalify when the old card expired.

Not always. Sometimes they roll them over automatically, especially if the card is awarded on medical grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Does anyone know if the medical card covers ebola virus..asking for a friend

By a very happy coincidence, I got home from work tonight and what did I find in my post? My medical card, rolled over for another year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the medical card covers ebola virus..asking for a friend

Yes , yes it does .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If you weren’t entitled to it OP, they wouldn’t be long cutting you off. They’re strict about the qualifying criteria and there are plenty of people who miss out on qualifying for one even though they feel they should be entitled to one, or they know someone who they feel should be entitled to one.

That’s why they may get a bit testy with you when you’re not at deaths door.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As I said it just comes up in conversation,
    like a passing comment within the context of the conversation I'm having with someone..

..or if I vent about a pain I have, someone'll tell me "d'ya have a medical card?" I say yeah then they say "well f*ckin put it to use then and go to the doctor, don't be complaining when you have a card"

That kind of comment ^

P.S. keep in mind these are family and friends I talk to not complete strangers I complain about the weather to in the street..

This doesn't happen, people who judge those with medical cards are d1cks but the only way they know is if you tell them.

Also, even if it was true, that's not a begrudging comment, its telling you to stop whinging when you have the ability to do something about your issue, and in this regard, i would agree. Stop whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

CramCycle wrote: »
    This doesn't happen, people who judge those with medical cards are d1cks but the only way they know is if you tell them.

Also, even if it was true, that's not a begrudging comment, its telling you to stop whinging when you have the ability to do something about your issue, and in this regard, i would agree. Stop whinging.

It’s often one of the first things I ask people who are ill, but yes the motivation behind it is more like your explanation than begrudgery - stop whinging when they have the means to do something about it, like the first step being to visit their GP.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I wouldn't say there's much taboo around having a medical card. I have MS but don't qualify for a medical card. A lady I work with assumed I had one and wanted a private chat with me one day about how she'd go about applying for one. She was surprised when I told her I didn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wouldn't call it taboo, but more annoyance. I don't have one. Never had, and hopefully will be financially stable enough and healthy enough that I won't need to apply for one. But it's annoyance when I see people who don't deserve one with one. Depending on how sick you get, having a medical card can save thousands! It does annoy me somewhat that I have to pay up to €60 and other people get it for free. But the dole in general annoys me. As does the free money for having sex (child allowance). Basically, I don't want anyone else getting anything for free while I work for it.

Yes, I'm a bitter old man in my mid to late 30s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I love walking into the waiting room at the doctors.........only one paying money that day, of course I have to wait for the privilege of doing so as reams of card carrying 'unfortunates' bounce in and out with all their, no doubt, 'necessary' free passes they're 'entitled' to.

'What's that ?'

60 quid.?....no problem, just let me fetch that from my wallet after deducting everything else from my wages that week' - the joys of being fortunate enough to contribute all my working life. Fantastic.

Cut the unnecessary cards, allow it for only the most genuine of cases, 10euro charge on GP visits regardless. That'll soon thin out the ranks a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....the unemployed smell funny to....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Some do......sure.

Some of those in employment as well, from my experience.

Certainly the doctor's waiting room does.

McDermotX wrote:
    Some do......sure.

Filthy animals

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

As I said it just comes up in conversation,
    like a passing comment within the context of the conversation I'm having with someone..

..or if I vent about a pain I have, someone'll tell me "d'ya have a medical card?" I say yeah then they say "well f*ckin put it to use then and go to the doctor, don't be complaining when you have a card"

That kind of comment ^

P.S. keep in mind these are family and friends I talk to not complete strangers I complain about the weather to in the street..

If having a medical card is taboo, you need new friends.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....the unemployed smell funny to....

They're bad at spelling too.

Your Face wrote:
    They're bad at spelling too.

Stipud idoits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No big deal. I wouldn't care if you have one, but more likely why I don't.

I've worked in the medical card unit and have seen people on €60k+ get a medical card, all depending on how much they pay out in outgoings each week and if they have significant medical issues.

No big deal. I wouldn't care if you have one, but more likely why I don't.

I've worked in the medical card unit and have seen people on €60k+ get a medical card, all depending on how much they pay out in outgoings each week and if they have significant medical issues.

GP only card?

I don't see anyone on €60k getting full medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hey op,
    Gotta agree with others in that you shouldn't tell anyone you have one.

But hey look people begrudge others. People are as*holes. No one wants to see you with anything. That's the answer to your question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Hey op,

But hey look people begrudge others. People are as*holes. No one wants to see you with anything. That's the answer to your question.

Again, had no idea I was doing anything out of line by mentioning I had one. Thought it was no different to saying I owned a bank card or a costa card, etc.

It's not like I sat in a quiet room with people and said out loud "by the way everyone, I own a medical card. What do ye think of that?"

I think people on this thread are taking what I mean out of context....

Hey op,

Again, had no idea I was doing anything out of line by mentioning I had one. Thought it was no different to saying I owned a bank card or a costa card, etc.

It's not like I sat in a quiet room with people and said out loud "by the way everyone, I own a medical card. What do ye think of that?"

(I suppose this is what I get for posting in the AH thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

(I suppose this is what I get for posting in the AH thread)

Can't speak for others but I am not taking things out of context :)
    I agree what you are saying. Having a medical card should be a non-issue. Like, as you say, having a bank card. It's nothing...

The problem is people. People will begrude you having that because they don't have one. So the only way to stop anything like that is just don't tell anyone in the first place.

Same goes for being on rent allowance. Same goes for coming into some money from a dead relative. People begruge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If you have one, you're pretty much screwed if you ever need to use the A&E unfortunately with the HSE. I always tell people on JSA, DA or whatever to buy try insurance for €60pm that covers you both publicly and private. Do not sign the waiver form unless you're guaranteed a private room or bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

My mother (late 70s) is fairly ill and requires a lot of care. Was amazed when my father told me he didn't want the medical card as 'I do not need it'. He has a good pension and house paid for so he pays by cash. The only reason this amazed me is that I know VERY well off pensioners with rental properties income and everything who still get the medical card.

It should be means tested as a lot of older people from my parents generation have pensions we lot will never see and they can afford to pay insurance at least.

MrAbyss wrote: »
    My mother (late 70s) is fairly ill and requires a lot of care. Was amazed when my father told me he didn't want the medical card as 'I do not need it'. He has a good pension and house paid for so he pays by cash. The only reason this amazed me is that I know VERY well off pensioners with rental properties income and everything who still get the medical card.

It should be means tested as a lot of older people from my parents generation have pensions we lot will never see and they can afford to pay insurance at least.

Its automatically granted for the over 70s, without a means test.

If your father chooses to pay, he can, but he is throwing money away on principle as your mother is entitled to a medical card.

I'd be surprised if a GP took his money, to be honest.

No rules against him having all the private health insurance / paying for consultantsor private hospital he wants, but the GP visits should be free.

Can't speak for others but I am not taking things out of context :)
    I agree what you are saying. Having a medical card should be a non-issue. Like, as you say, having a bank card. It's nothing...

The problem is people. People will begrude you having that because they don't have one. So the only way to stop anything like that is just don't tell anyone in the first place.

Same goes for being on rent allowance. Same goes for coming into some money from a dead relative. People begruge.

I get what you're saying. I'll keep a lid on my words going forward, I was just really curious as to why this mentality existed. Being here since I was 15, I have learned that some citizens of Ireland hate a lot of things for a lot of silly reasons :P Sometimes I don't blame them, but I guess that's why the "Trivial Things That Annoy You" thread, here on Boards, is one of the most popular. Some of my most "Thanked" posts have been on that thread. Oh yeah, I've had my fair share of complaints :pac:

I guess I trust people too many times - - I don't usually have a problem exploiting a lot of things about me because I generally don't think I'm being bad or snobby. I suppose it's all down to perception, which is hard - borderline impossible - to change in some people.

Thanks for your advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

GP only card?

Maybe if you have something like Leukaemia ; controlled with medication or cystic fibrosis. There's lots of reasons why people should have medical cards even though they have some money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

I think its the fact that people like my father have been sick most of his life, but worked and never even thought of a medical card.

I Worked for the HSE medical cards system, and seeing some of the high earners who had one due to some minor discretionary illness would chill u to the bone.

As usual in Ireland its the fairness in question.

Like i lose my job in the morning due to being fired i might have to wait 6 weeks while some sod who never ever worked gets SW carte blanche.

People are just looking for fairness.

If its below threshold or major illness, children involved then yeah work away. Of course 99 per cent of people wouldn't begrudge it but there is plenty of abuses of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

GP only card?

Over seventies couple can earn over 70k combined and still qualify for two medical cards

Advertisement