Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it so taboo for me to own a medical card?

Options
  • 10-10-2019 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭

I don't remember how I got mine nor do I know how one applies for a card.

But I've had a few friends and colleagues over the years find out I have one and give me a dirty look or begrudgingly tell me to take advantage of it if I need a prescription.

Comments like "at least you have a f*cking medical card, I'm not entitled one" get thrown around a lot.

My renewed one just came through the door today, and it reminded me - hence this thread.

What is this taboo I'm seeing towards me, and I suppose others, who own a medical card?

(since this is the After Hours forum, I anticipate the first reply to be the cleverest)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Any chance you live in on one side of the boarder and work on the other?

http://borderpeople.info/a-z/healthcare-for-frontier-workers.html who knows after Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

my3cents wrote: »
    Any chance you live in on one side of the boarder and work on the other?
    I live in Tramore.
    Whoa, I never said I worked near or across any border?

I live in Tramore.

That would be a long commute :D

I edited my first reply there./

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why would you be telling anyone you have one....

You obviously fit the bill to be given one....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I don't have one but it was my understanding you had to summit information to requalify when the old card expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Plenty of well off people have one, namely wealthy pensioners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Do you need one op? Would you be forced to go without medical care if you didn't have one?

There are plenty on low income jobs that rightly have a medical card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

fecking foreigners coming here and taking our medical cards

go back to your NHS

I live in Tramore.

But its a way of getting a medical card that a lot of people don't know about.

• Advertisement

Why would you be telling anyone you have one....

Comes up in conversation under context. I have a lot of friends who give out about the HSE lol
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Plenty of well off people have one, namely wealthy pensioners

Well I'm a part time janny at the moment so, maybe that has something to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

People get jealous over the strangest things. I go to the doctors once, maybe twice, a year.

If someone I know was a medical card “recipient” I would just assume there’s a reason for it. If there’s no reason I would hold my indignation for the system not the card holder.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

But its a way of getting a medical card that a lot of people don't know about.

I'm listening, go on..

gwalk wrote: »
    fecking foreigners coming here and taking our medical cards

go back to your NHS

I know. Shocking.

Peatys wrote: »
    I'm listening, go on..

Just follow the link above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

People get jealous over the strangest things. I go to the doctors once, maybe twice, a year.

If someone I know was a medical card “recipient” I would just assume there’s a reason for it. If there’s no reason I would hold my indignation for the system not the card holder.

Rarely go to the doctor myself but the 60 euro fee makes you aware that maybe it's just a headcold and not ebola.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How does anyone even know you have one?

How does anyone even know you have one?

As I said it just comes up in conversation,
    like a passing comment within the context of the conversation I'm having with someone..

..or if I vent about a pain I have, someone'll tell me "d'ya have a medical card?" I say yeah then they say "well f*ckin put it to use then and go to the doctor, don't be complaining when you have a card"

That kind of comment ^

P.S. keep in mind these are family and friends I talk to not complete strangers I complain about the weather to in the street..

Rarely go to the doctor myself but the 60 euro fee makes you aware that maybe it's just a headcold and not ebola.

To be honest with you, if I’m going it’s because I need antibiotics and want a “sick note”.

If the doc doesn’t agree I’m looking at a full physical and I’ll be “backing into” that finger to teach them a lesson.

I once had a young doctor give me a “sick note” that didn’t cover the Friday, was in on a Tuesday so got Tuesday to Thursday. I was not impressed.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

To be honest with you, if I’m going it’s because I need antibiotics and want a “sick note”.

If the doc doesn’t agree I’m looking at a full physical and I’ll be “backing into” that finger to teach them a lesson.

I once had a young doctor give me a “sick note” that didn’t cover the Friday, was in on a Tuesday so got Tuesday to Thursday. I was not impressed.

Quotitis is clearly viral so, and can't be cured by antibiotics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well that escalated quickly, from a sick note to anal probing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Emmet, I think we can all agree that you are a sick individual - will the boss take boardsies' word for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...If the doc doesn’t agree I’m looking at a full physical and I’ll be “backing into” that finger....

That's all fine and well unless you can see both of the furty ducker's hands while this "finger" business is going on... :eek:

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well that escalated quickly, from a sick note to anal probing :eek:

It’s about getting your money’s worth, M. If I’m paying €60 to be told I won’t be getting any “certified” time off work I’ll be sure to get a prostate exam or my balls checked.

The doc will learn fast enough how things should go in future. I mean, what sort of monster wouldn’t give you three days and a weekend included in the “sick note”?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Aren't you Scottish OP? Just another example of blow in chancers on the take.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I live in Tramore.

Living in Tramore! I understand why you might need one

It’s about getting your money’s worth, M. If I’m paying €60 to be told I won’t be getting any “certified” time off work I’ll be sure to get a prostate exam or my balls checked.

The doc will learn fast enough how things should go in future. I mean, what sort of monster wouldn’t give you three days and a weekend included in the “sick note”?

When needing a sick note, never once has a doctor done more than look in my direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don't have one but it was my understanding you had to summit information to requalify when the old card expired.

No, I’ve received new ones in the last few years without reapplying.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭moonage

Yes, and if it's an attractive lady doctor it's win-win!

• Advertisement

moonage wrote: »
    Yes, and if it's an attractive lady doctor it's win-win!

Cheap too for €60 :pac:

Advertisement