Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World - II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Shelli2 wrote: »
    That's crazy. They have always been given out free in our group. I do the cash for our group, and no ever has there been a charge, and that has been with 3 different consultants.

That would have been nice. I wasn’t in my usual group but obviously they could see my history and that I was a member. I had messaged the consultant beforehand to ask if it was possible and she replied later that evening saying she hoped the lady who bought a pack was me so obviously it’s the done thing at that group anyways!

To be fair it did what it needed to do and I’m on plan since at least this far. Cash is tight so at the very least it meant I had less pennies for spending on treats lol

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

How did ye get on this week?
    Had an unexpected gain (+1.5) so I'm making sure to get it off for next weigh-in :) My main arsenal is SOUP! I bought some pre-prepped veggies, add 2 stock, pearl barley (100g, syn-free) and 750ml water and you're golden!

I noticed I started snacking more at night, avoiding that by making sure I had my fill for dinner/dessert (eg going back for seconds) pre-empting food with a glass of water, and busying my hands (tea, phone, work). Anything you've been doing that's been helping?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I missed last week as I was away. It was my consultant‘s final week as she’s moving to another country.
    Anywho a few days ago she posted a screenshot of a comment left on her personal fb page made by the new consultant’s husband, it just said sl*t.
    There must be a reason behind it but nonetheless it’s made me uncomfortable now about going to group with this new consultant. Problem is it’s really my only option as I’ve no car.

Oh Jaysus! That's some juicy scandal :D I'm sure it'll be old news by week 2 of the new consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Oh Jaysus! That's some juicy scandal :D I'm sure it'll be old news by week 2 of the new consultant.

I know. It was strange because she posted it to the private sw page, telling us it was left on her personal page, which none (or at least very few) of us would have actually seen it.
    So there was obviously some tension nobody knew about, now we all do!

Anyway we’ll see, the one leaving seemed so lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

How did ye get on this week?
    Had an unexpected gain (+1.5) so I'm making sure to get it off for next weigh-in :) My main arsenal is SOUP! I bought some pre-prepped veggies, add 2 stock, pearl barley (100g, syn-free) and 750ml water and you're golden!

I noticed I started snacking more at night, avoiding that by making sure I had my fill for dinner/dessert (eg going back for seconds) pre-empting food with a glass of water, and busying my hands (tea, phone, work). Anything you've been doing that's been helping?

I also had similar gain!

Love soup weather and tasty soup BUT my downfall is the bread! Love nothing more than dipping a heap of white bread into lovely hot soup. And without the bread I dont find it filling enough for lunch.

Might try some ryvita or something with it.

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Love soup weather and tasty soup BUT [...] without the bread I dont find it filling enough for lunch. Might try some ryvita or something with it.

Ryvita yes! Also Broghies maybe (1 syn a pop as well). Ryvita would be crunchier so maybe better!

I've been using Broghies more (with 2 ham slices, laughing cow spread on them, and home-made coleslaw) which is great as a snack! With something on them it slows you down, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Ok, some of you may remember me from 2 years ago. I lost 5 stone with SW. However to my shame and embarrassment it's all back on. I can certainly give lots of reasons why (relationship break up , including not seeing his daughter since the break up, health issues, work with lots of stress) and so on. At the end of the day I am miserable at this weight, my confidence is gone, I am not happy, I am not ready to date again . I could go on and on. I just gave up on myself and failed in trying to keep the weight off. I have to had to buy bigger size clothes etc , all the lovely clothes no longer fit me. Plus my health is starting to suffer (my knees!!!)

So here I am knowing I need to change. I found this group full of support when I was on it. So can I come back to you!! Not sure yet which group I will re join. I think one nearer to work would be easier for me. I commute daily each day over 2 hours total.

Thanks for reading. Val

Valyawl wrote: »
    Ok, some of you may remember me from 2 years ago. I lost 5 stone with SW. However to my shame and embarrassment it's all back on. I can certainly give lots of reasons why (relationship break up , including not seeing his daughter since the break up, health issues, work with lots of stress) and so on. At the end of the day I am miserable at this weight, my confidence is gone, I am not happy, I am not ready to date again . I could go on and on. I just gave up on myself and failed in trying to keep the weight off. I have to had to buy bigger size clothes etc , all the lovely clothes no longer fit me. Plus my health is starting to suffer (my knees!!!)

So here I am knowing I need to change. I found this group full of support when I was on it. So can I come back to you!! Not sure yet which group I will re join. I think one nearer to work would be easier for me. I commute daily each day over 2 hours total.

Thanks for reading. Val

Its quiet enough at the moment but I'm happy to jump back in. I'm down about 2.5 stone but i've been playing around for the last two months and up one week down the next. Like you I can blame life etc but my clothes are getting tight again and I definitely don't want to have to buy the next size up

I'm trying blind weigh in for the next 4-6 weeks to try and take the pressure of the scales entirely. Hoping that works to get me past this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hi Val!

I'm new enough here, but welcome back!

I'm down 13lbs, fighting the last few weeks to get that last 1lb off to get my stone. Im hoping against hope I'll shed it this week.

• Advertisement

Welcome back Val! Well done on putting your past aside and ensuring future-you is happier and healthier! They tweak the plan every year so syn values and such will be a little different, but different is good :) change as much around you so you can visually see that things are different - because things ARE different - you're in a new rebuilding and improving phase of your life! Keep posting here and good luck :)

Welcome Val!

I'm a stone down with probably another 2 to go! Have been yoyoing the last few weeks with a gain then a loss then a gain etc etc but back on it this week with a new focus hopefully!

Well I've had two good days despite many temptations (finger food at an evening event, birthday cake for my one year old etc). Feeling much better already after a few days back on plan.

I'm trying to stay centred as I've been swinging wildly on pendulum going from 0 syns to like 40+ syns so making a conscious effort to eat my syns each evening and enjoy them. I know that means I will be less likely to fall spectacularly off the wagon the following week. Or at least thats the hope! How is everyones weekend going?

I've been swinging wildly on pendulum going from 0 syns to like 40+ syns so making a conscious effort to eat my syns each evening and enjoy them. I know that means I will be less likely to fall spectacularly off the wagon the following week

Jeez I'm having the same thing at the mo! I'd not had treats in 2½ weeks, went too hard at it and ended up binging treat foods. It's a lot of low syn stuff so it wasn't the worst, but my body is a demon for water weight. Reeled it right back yesterday (SP day - veg soup for lunch and dinner) and back to normal today. Made enchilada lasagne which is just the best! It's so good! Although the PoN recipe uses a freaking ton of cheese, you could definitely half the amount of cheddar.

My recommendation for the week is Tesco flavoured sparkling water! 35 CENTS FOR A LITER! So I buy three and have a different flavour each time I want a drink. It's brilliant.

J

Jeez I'm having the same thing at the mo! I'd not had treats in 2½ weeks, went too hard at it and ended up binging treat foods. It's a lot of low syn stuff so it wasn't the worst, but my body is a demon for water weight. Reeled it right back yesterday (SP day - veg soup for lunch and dinner) and back to normal today. Made enchilada lasagne which is just the best! It's so good! Although the PoN recipe uses a freaking ton of cheese, you could definitely half the amount of cheddar.

My recommendation for the week is Tesco flavoured sparkling water! 35 CENTS FOR A LITER! So I buy three and have a different flavour each time I want a drink. It's brilliant.

J

I can’t stand sparkling water already but Coke Zero is great for feeling like I’m having a treat even when I’m not

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all, I've to lose at least 5 stone and am going to give it my all.

I done it before and lost 3.5 stone

Changing jobs but need to lose the weight before they'll take me on...

I'm plain enough eater and don't like butter, cheese, pasta, many sauces, eggs and things like that.
    Not a big red meat eater either.

Veg, rice, beans, peas, fruit and that I'll eat no problems at all.

Is anyone an online member?

Im still getting absolutely nothing form my SW consultant so dont see the point in going to the class anymore really, wondering is there any point in joining online - are there any benefits to it when you already know the "rules"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Is anyone an online member?

Im still getting absolutely nothing form my SW consultant so dont see the point in going to the class anymore really, wondering is there any point in joining online - are there any benefits to it when you already know the "rules"?

Id also be interested to hear from anyone doing it online. I have been to SW a few times, few false starts, but then it just fitted for me and stuck it for about a year, lost a lot of weight before my wedding & I know how good the plan is. After that kept the weight off for a bit, but unfortunately took my foot off the gas & have put on some of the weight again.

I moved last year, and decided to rejoin earlier this year, and to say the consultant was a pain in the face is an understatement! I have always hated the class format, it is so annoying, I just want to get in and out quickly and weight in, simple. The meetings are a pure joke, there is always one that loves the sound of their own voice and we all get to hear about their lasagna recipe made with quark mixed with natural yogurt mixed with water, again….and again! The consultant herself I find patronizing, and the format of the meetings going around to everyone saying “aw you put on 2 lbs this week that’s a shame” kills me! Why cant they just do a quick 15 minute talk, give us a new recipe to try, or a few tips on products they have tried or would recommend, hack or hints, and just let us out of there! The thoughts of the 2-hour joining meeting again I just cant handle it, they honestly treat you like a child!

I would really like to give it another go, and feel like my head is in the right place finally, but I just cant bring myself back to that consultant, or generally to the meetings. Half thinking of signing up online, I have the books & have a good handle on the plan itself, I just wonder will I stick to it within the fear of having to weight in at a meeting.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So went back and I've managed to put on a stone.....

I'm actually quite annoyed at myself as my eating has improved and I was eating a lot of free and speed....

Only issue is my exercise has been at near zero as have been out of work with back injury and getting physio.
    I'm starting to do short walks again to get back but in pain still.

I probably know the answer somewhere as in drinking a few too many beers didn't help.

I'll cut this big time and see what happens next week.

I really need the weight off and only have a short period to do it so I can leave to s new job.

Any tips anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Mimojo wrote: »
    Id also be interested to hear from anyone doing it online. I have been to SW a few times, few false starts, but then it just fitted for me and stuck it for about a year, lost a lot of weight before my wedding & I know how good the plan is. After that kept the weight off for a bit, but unfortunately took my foot off the gas & have put on some of the weight again.

I moved last year, and decided to rejoin earlier this year, and to say the consultant was a pain in the face is an understatement! I have always hated the class format, it is so annoying, I just want to get in and out quickly and weight in, simple. The meetings are a pure joke, there is always one that loves the sound of their own voice and we all get to hear about their lasagna recipe made with quark mixed with natural yogurt mixed with water, again….and again! The consultant herself I find patronizing, and the format of the meetings going around to everyone saying “aw you put on 2 lbs this week that’s a shame” kills me! Why cant they just do a quick 15 minute talk, give us a new recipe to try, or a few tips on products they have tried or would recommend, hack or hints, and just let us out of there! The thoughts of the 2-hour joining meeting again I just cant handle it, they honestly treat you like a child!

I would really like to give it another go, and feel like my head is in the right place finally, but I just cant bring myself back to that consultant, or generally to the meetings. Half thinking of signing up online, I have the books & have a good handle on the plan itself, I just wonder will I stick to it within the fear of having to weight in at a meeting.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Reason why I left SW. Not one recipe, consultant relied on members to share their own experiences and challenges rather than having 'classes'. I know it's group but god... why not just give out a simple recipe, have a chat about it and then go over everyone's goals? It is a bit ridiculous to spend 9 euro on what is use of a good scales and a very unstructured and simplistic group meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

never_mind wrote: »
    Reason why I left SW. Not one recipe, consultant relied on members to share their own experiences and challenges rather than having 'classes'. I know it's group but god... why not just give out a simple recipe, have a chat about it and then go over everyone's goals? It is a bit ridiculous to spend 9 euro on what is use of a good scales and a very unstructured and simplistic group meeting.

100% agree, I cant for the life of me understand why they continue with that format, it is literally worse than watching pain dry. Why not go on the SW website, print out a few receipes, then hand them out in class & have a quick talk on how to make them etc, and then maybe 10 minutes on another topic like how to get motivated, 5 things to focus on for the week ahead, top top for food swaps, that kind of thing. I really really hate the meetings, its the main reason I wont go back to SW, that feeling when you know your name is coming up and having to explain yourself, why you put on/lost weight, pure cringe.

I also find the consultants are too reliant on the group sharing content, surely we are paying for them to give us some content! They are also seriously patronising, I feel like screaming Im a grown woman FFS!

I think the main reason people continue to go & pay is the accountability of having to show up week on week & get weights. For me that is what kept me on track and the only reason I paid the €9 per week.

Mimojo wrote: »
    100% agree, I cant for the life of me understand why they continue with that format, it is literally worse than watching pain dry. Why not go on the SW website, print out a few receipes, then hand them out in class & have a quick talk on how to make them etc, and then maybe 10 minutes on another topic like how to get motivated, 5 things to focus on for the week ahead, top top for food swaps, that kind of thing. I really really hate the meetings, its the main reason I wont go back to SW, that feeling when you know your name is coming up and having to explain yourself, why you put on/lost weight, pure cringe.

I also find the consultants are too reliant on the group sharing content, surely we are paying for them to give us some content! They are also seriously patronising, I feel like screaming Im a grown woman FFS!

I think the main reason people continue to go & pay is the accountability of having to show up week on week & get weights. For me that is what kept me on track and the only reason I paid the €9 per week.

I’ve tried their online through the app from the UK store this summer. I asked for my money back and cancelled within the cooling off period. Found it very poor tbh and would argue it wasn’t ready for roll out.

My email: I’d like to pass on that the standard of the app etc is just not high enough to justify this cost. Simple things like exercise tracker, auto complete on the search, integration with fitness trackers is not there.

I want the weightwatchers format in slimming world lol. I find the meetings ok, not fantastic but grand. I’ve made friends at group which helps a lot. I adore the ww app, it’s amazing. I just can’t make friends with their plan in the way that I have with slimming world

Have we all got the same consultant or are alot of them useless?!

I have to say I like the meetings if I they did what they were meant to do but every week I leave feeling it was a waste of time. Its the accountability though, I need need need every bit of it! Think thats where I might fall down if I chose online.

There is another consultant in the area next to me, only about 10 mins away so I might try her and see how it goes.

I can just feel my motivation slipping away week by week and really want another stone gone by Christmas. The plan 100% works but I need someone on my back to keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I love my consultant, do much so I volunteered to do the cash at my group. However, I can't stand the weigh lady. She's mouthy and rude, thinks she knows better than everyone and comments loudly on everyone's loss/gain.
    During the class she is incredibly rude and talks over everyone. It's gotten to the point I'm considering leaving the class.

I got down to my lowest 3 weeks ago, then had my hens weekend and have been off plan since, traveling with work and Dad back in hospital.
    I'm feeling extremely miserable and stressed, so my plan is to enjoy this evening with a few treats and cuddles and movies with my son.
    Back to class in the morning and face the gain, then straight to the supermarket and get my planning back on track this week.
    I'm expecting 4-5lb gain tomorrow....EUGH.

I feel bad for you guys, having a crap consultant. SW is a franchise and the quality of class depends on who's running it. Group dynamic is what gets me to stay. Sarah in Bettystown is always brimming with ideas, tricks and tweaks so get the most out of the plan, has printed recipes which she sends round the class, and gives tailored advice for any pitfalls this week. Plus the ladies are a good bit of craic :)

This week's hot tip is Tesco's flavoured fizzy water. Syn-free and a variety of flavours...and 35 CENTS for a liter! Splash out and buy 3 for under a euro, kaboom! Different flavour each time and feels fancy. My body can't tell the difference between hungry and thirsty, so having a fancy drink to test which one has helped out a lot recently!

What really helps during the week is whatsapping a small group within the class, keeping each other motivated. I'd recommend starting one with your favourite people in class. I'm also on the SW discord and subreddit, I find hearing others' stories and days helps keep me on track.

Anyway -- you're paying for the privilege so if your consultant isn't pulling her weight, either find a new class or deffo do it online!

It makes a world of a difference when your consultant is on point. Mine has a new lease of life the last few weeks after a rough summer for herself and the difference is night and day in my motivation

I'm seething, so upset right now. My partner asked what my plans were for tomorrow, and when I said I'm going to SW, he replied 'seriously, what's the point, you never stick to it, why bother trying'

I could f**cking kill him right now.

I'm seething, so upset right now. My partner asked what my plans were for tomorrow, and when I said I'm going to SW, he replied 'seriously, what's the point, you never stick to it, why bother trying'

I could f**cking kill him right now.

That’s really incredibly unsupportive tbh and I’d be raging with my husband if he said. Sure I’ve struggled all summer but I haven’t regained what I lost so I’m still doing something right. We had a talk from a famous speaker (it’s killing me I can’t remember the name) during Healthy Living Week in school a few years ago. He was absolutely brilliant but a quote stuck ‘90% of people will fail to lose and maintain 10% of their body weight’. That was the start of my understanding that weight loss is really really hard and your headspace has to be right for a really really long time to have any impact

'seriously, what's the point, you never stick to it, why bother trying' I could f**cking kill him right now.

Ugh, what an unsupportive ass! Sorry to hear that. Think of the motivation behind it - bit of jealousy that you're bettering yourself, and a little insecurity of how that makes him look. Misery loves company, he wants to feel better about himself by pulling you down. Glad you could vent here with us, hope you get a nice loss to shove in his face :D

• Advertisement

I definitely won't have a loss tomorrow, and I know I've been yo-yoing since I rejoined in January. But I'm 1.5 stone down, and even though it's very slow, I know without SW I'd be going the other direction.
    I really am so upset, it's been an incredibly difficult year personally and the one person I need to be supportive just took the wind completely out of my sails. Not being supportive is one thing, but purposefully mean and negative is something else entirely.

Advertisement