Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Is Adam Byrne injured?

That backrow is so good for a group of young Leinster lads with the RWC on and the odd injury to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

Strong team.

Does anyone know what is going on with Cian Kelleher? Seems to be fit, played in pre-season, he's pictured at training every week, but here we are again and not a sniff.

Who would he come in for? All back-three options are stronger players, and Jimmy O'Brien covers centre as well as full-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Strong team.

Does anyone know what is going on with Cian Kelleher? Seems to be fit, played in pre-season, he's pictured at training every week, but here we are again and not a sniff.

I thought it was odd coming back, he looks good but hardly tore trees up at Connacht from the little I saw of him. He’s behind some really good players now, I’m not sure I see him getting too much time on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

DonVito wrote: »
    Who would he come in for? All back-three options are stronger players, and Jimmy O'Brien covers centre as well as full-back.

Just odd that he is (I think) the only fit senior player yet to feature.

Keenan, Lowe, Kearney, McFadden, Byrne and J O'Brien have all got starts in the back three and CK is yet to even bench.

If he's not featuring now, what's he going to do when the RWC contingent are back?

Hopefully he's just injured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Adam Byrne needs to leave. Would be a good option for Connacht. Kelleher made a mistake returning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Adam Byrne needs to leave. Would be a good option for Connacht. Kelleher made a mistake returning.

You pedalled this opinion last week and ignored my pretty reasonable response. If you think so back it up.

Here is what I said last week
    That's not really true though.

He played 1058 minutes last season which is more than most all of the players who wouldn't be in the international picture - the likes of ROL, Tracy, JGP, Fardy, Ross Byrne etc.

He did only play 14 games which would be less than them but he had a stop start season with injury and his season was finished in early April.

But before that he had started and played the full 80 in 4 European Cup games including the quarter final.

I think the attitude shouldn't be "he needs to leave" and more "I hope he can convince the coaches he's one of the first names in the teamsheet as he's clearly got the potential"

Kelleher was an odd signing to come back though. And Leo seems to be sending a clear message that if he wants first team rugby he needs to start showing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Adam Byrne is someone who has clearly impressed Lancaster and Cullen. He was out of favour early last season and played mostly for the A team. But through a lot of hard work he made his way back into the first XV. Picked up an injury at exactly the worst time and missed the Pro 14 and Champions Cup finals. I think he would have started them otherwise.

It's just the third game of the season. I would t be making predictions on his Leinster career off two non selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ah lads, we absolutely need NIQs if we're serious about challenging for the European Cup. We have a fair few Irish senior players who are possibly/probably in their last season, we've already lost a number of them in the last two years and we have a few others who are so injury-ravaged that we simply can't count on them.

The young lads look good but how many of them are going to be good enough to be first-choice in a team that wants to be the best in Europe?

An NIQ hooker and second-row should be on the shopping list IMO. Maybe a utility back as well.

We also need a loosehead but that isn't going to happen.

Sangre wrote: »
    We also need a loosehead but that isn't going to happen.

I wonder will porter play there a bit, with bent that’s still two good scrummaging props

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

salmocab wrote: »
    I wonder will porter play there a bit, with bent that’s still two good scrummaging props

Possibly but that just leaves us weaker at tighthead then.

Without disrespect to the legend that is Michael Bent, a team like Leinster needs a little more for KO games.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote: »
    Possibly but that just leaves us weaker at tighthead then.

Without disrespect to the legend that is Michael Bent, a team like Leinster needs a little more for KO games.

I like Bent he’s very good but furlong and porter offer a pile more, however I’d not be worried to see him come by on at tight head in a knockout game. It’s really a case though of if Byrne or Dooley are at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Just odd that [Kelleher] is (I think) the only fit senior player yet to feature.

I think Bryan Byrne is also fit and has yet to feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Lovely skip pass from Noel Reid.

Glad to see him doing well.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1182355112251015168?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lovely skip pass from Noel Reid.

Glad to see him doing well.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1182355112251015168?s=19

One of the best distributors I've seen, it's a shame he never had the game management or kicking to match as I reckon he could've been a quality 10, he had some great performances at Clontarf in the AIL when he was still playing U20s and in the academy. Delighted to see him do well with Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Another very good article/interview from The42, this time with Dave Kearney speaking about the last few years of his career and his various injury setbacks and comebacks. I've a lot of admiration for his determination, resolve and hard work.

https://www.the42.ie/dave-kearney-leinster-interview-4845994-Oct2019/

Not a huge fan of The42 but these rugby interviews have been great.

You pedalled this opinion last week and ignored my pretty reasonable response. If you think so back it up.

Here is what I said last week

Kelleher was an odd signing to come back though. And Leo seems to be sending a clear message that if he wants first team rugby he needs to start showing more.

Ok he doesn't seem to be fully trusted by either management or the fanbase. As you said he started big games but also seems dispensable. He's behind McFadden (when fit), Lowe, Kearney, Larmour (when at wing). Injuries haven't helped but i don't think he would have been selected. I think this chopping and changing doesn't help anybody. The official own the shirt mantra is just talk. The ususal lads will come back in even though we have to start thinking that certain players are actually perhaps better long term - Penny, Baird, Doris, Deegan, Kelleher. I don't like these fallow periods where its constant chopping and changing. I'd be hugely frustrated if i was Adam Byrne.

I think he's a cracking player who just needs a bit of confidence. I think if he did it out west he's start getting the plaudits he deserves. And he could always come back. He's 25 like, he's not that 18 year old kid Joe started.

Even nobody mentions him when he's missing etc.

By using the word pedalled i take it you think this is nonsense. Fine but why do people get so defensive over this. Leinster can't hoard talent for the detriment of players careers. I was fully behind the Carbery decision and its proved best for the player himself. Jack McGrath will be the same.

While Lowe is World Class if say Tomane plays on the wing ahead of him i have issues with that. Also i think he's a better player than Daly.

He's physically a very fine specimen. He just needs that confidence. He started late at rugby which wasn't a great help.

I heard he was close to Munster before though. Imo he definitely needs a move as do some other Leinster players. I prioritize the health of Irish rugby over Leinster.

Yeah maybe Kelleher came back for personal reasons who knows. He's a talent but seems to have made the Fionn Carr error here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ok he doesn't seem to be fully trusted by either management or the fanbase. As you said he started big games but also seems dispensable. He's behind McFadden (when fit), Lowe, Kearney, Larmour (when at wing). Injuries haven't helped but i don't think he would have been selected. I think this chopping and changing doesn't help anybody. The official own the shirt mantra is just talk. The ususal lads will come back in even though we have to start thinking that certain players are actually perhaps better long term - Penny, Baird, Doris, Deegan, Kelleher. I don't like these fallow periods where its constant chopping and changing. I'd be hugely frustrated if i was Adam Byrne.

I think he's a cracking player who just needs a bit of confidence. I think if he did it out west he's start getting the plaudits he deserves. And he could always come back. He's 25 like, he's not that 18 year old kid Joe started.

Even nobody mentions him when he's missing etc.

By using the word pedalled i take it you think this is nonsense. Fine but why do people get so defensive over this. Leinster can't hoard talent for the detriment of players careers. I was fully behind the Carbery decision and its proved best for the player himself. Jack McGrath will be the same.

While Lowe is World Class if say Tomane plays on the wing ahead of him i have issues with that. Also i think he's a better player than Daly.

He's physically a very fine specimen. He just needs that confidence. He started late at rugby which wasn't a great help.

I heard he was close to Munster before though. Imo he definitely needs a move as do some other Leinster players. I prioritize the health of Irish rugby over Leinster.

Yeah maybe Kelleher came back for personal reasons who knows. He's a talent but seems to have made the Fionn Carr error here.

You'd swear Leinster were unsuccessful from reading this tripe.

AdamD wrote: »
    You'd swear Leinster were unsuccessful from reading this tripe.

:rolleyes:

jesus i'm not criticizing Leinster. they are an unbelievable World Class set up, one of the best in Europe. One of the reasons incumbents will come back in is the very Irish set up i'm talking about.

All i am saying is i feel Adam Byrne as a playuer would be better served, at 25, playing elsewhere. Does he deserve to start over some of the incumbents..no.

Am i saying Leinster are making a grievous error in not playing him, again no.

I'm actually more interested in this than the absolute jokeshop the world cup has become.

Did Whitehouse not award that try in the first instance? He said his onfield call was no try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

:rolleyes:

jesus i'm not criticizing Leinster. they are an unbelievable World Class set up, one of the best in Europe. One of the reasons incumbents will come back in is the very Irish set up i'm talking about.

All i am saying is i feel Adam Byrne as a playuer would be better served, at 25, playing elsewhere. Does he deserve to start over some of the incumbents..no.

Am i saying Leinster are making a grievous error in not playing him, again no.

Another thing I don’t agree on but nothing new

How many mins did Byrne play last season and that was even cut short to injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Tomane having a good game so far

Lovely invention off the set play. Maul to a pod of three runners, pass to Tomane who pulls it back to the second man in the pod. Then quick hands from two players to get it wide to Kearney. The passes from that pod completely drew in the Edinburgh midfield defence.

Tomanes having a cracker.

Fitz will be furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Excellent by Tomane down the right wing there, shame about the knock on. He's having a good game. Keenan too.

Edinburgh pushing for the pen try.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Vakh is great at pretending he cares about what the ref wants at the scrum. Seen him do this a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That’s a filthy knee slide.

Lovely try.

Could wind up being a very expensive period for Leinster. Edinburgh have done SFA all game but draw level.

Think Tomane could be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭leakyboots

What's with the booing from Leinster fans?

Has to be yellow for Tomane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement