Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Yeah, McIlroy/IRFU is definitely one of those stories with three sides...

Great to see him back. Looking forward to watching him play for Clontarf this season.

I think, save for unexpected(IMO) 1-year extensions for Fardy/Tomane, we'll have a fully-IQ squad for 20/21 season?

Hooker was the position I thought we might need to sign an NIQ/E for, but the young lads coming through now, no disrespect to Byrne/Treacy, may mean that is unnecessary.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on considering we've Dylan Donnellan back from Yorkshire this year as well so it's not a guaranteed starting spot for him.

Does anyone know if Sean Cronin's contract is up at the end of this season or next? I know it was renewed at the end of the 17/18 season but no word on whether it was a 2 or 3 year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

No doubt we’ll pick up a couple of quality NIQ’s post WC. Prime contract negotiation time coming up, RWC is the biggest shop window in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

"No doubt we’ll pick up a couple of quality NIQ’s post WC. Prime contract negotiation time coming up, RWC is the biggest shop window in the game."

No need, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

No doubt we’ll pick up a couple of quality NIQ’s post WC. Prime contract negotiation time coming up, RWC is the biggest shop window in the game.

I don't think we will. At full strength, there are not many depth issues except maybe at full back after the first one or two. And with the youngsters and current NIQs playing so well, any further NIQs are just going to push out developing players who are coming along very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Who would you get? Currently we have an extremely strong first and second squad with both world class and developing players

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on considering we've Dylan Donnellan back from Yorkshire this year as well so it's not a guaranteed starting spot for him.

Does anyone know if Sean Cronin's contract is up at the end of this season or next? I know it was renewed at the end of the 17/18 season but no word on whether it was a 2 or 3 year deal.

I think Leinster contracts are almost exclusively 2 years unless they're NIQ or centrally contracted

Yeah, McIlroy/IRFU is definitely one of those stories with three sides...

Great to see him back. Looking forward to watching him play for Clontarf this season.

I think, save for unexpected(IMO) 1-year extensions for Fardy/Tomane, we'll have a fully-IQ squad for 20/21 season?

Hooker was the position I thought we might need to sign an NIQ/E for, but the young lads coming through now, no disrespect to Byrne/Treacy, may mean that is unnecessary.

I do think it would be a surprise if Tomane and Fardy were extended.

I've nothing against Joe (much less than some people) but there's a lot of back 3 talent here and the centres in waiting in COB, Mullin and TOB. With all that IQ talent I can see the IRFU blocking his renewal and tbh they'd be right to do it.

As for Fardy, he would be a bigger loss but there are a lot of second rows in Dev, Ryan, Baird, Dunne, Ryan and Molony. I think Ryan will be a later developer in the same mould as Molony but Dunne and Baird are ready for at least Pro14 and to push on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ah lads, we absolutely need NIQs if we're serious about challenging for the European Cup. We have a fair few Irish senior players who are possibly/probably in their last season, we've already lost a number of them in the last two years and we have a few others who are so injury-ravaged that we simply can't count on them.

The young lads look good but how many of them are going to be good enough to be first-choice in a team that wants to be the best in Europe?

An NIQ hooker and second-row should be on the shopping list IMO. Maybe a utility back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think the IRFU down the line will definitely be looking at moving one if both have break out years this year or next. But as we’ve seen in the last year back row is as an attritional position as any and the likelihood of both of them staying injury free for a significant period of time is very unlikely.

I can’t see either being too keen to though as I reckon both have sights on starting the big Heineken Cup games in the next 2/3 years. I would say both would rate their chances of taking over from Conan and Ruddock.

With Jordi and SOB gone, Leavy out for the rest of the season and Conan injury prone. They both should see European action this season. I think they will both fancy their chances of stepping up this season. Our backrow pool next season would then look like, VDF, Leavy, Conan, Ruddock, Deegan & Doris competing for Europe. With Connors, Penny & Murphy as the squad cover in the Pro 14. We should be able to hold on to all of them for the next 3 seasons at least I’d say.

"An NIQ hooker and second-row should be on the shopping list IMO. Maybe a utility back as well."

Hooker, for sure, will be looked at.

Second-Row? Maybe. We'll see how Dev goes this season.

Utility back? That's just being greedy! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Most of the top players would have their futures sorted before the RWC not after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Would have thought any business would be already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Would have thought any business would be already done.

For next season? I’d imagine some sounding out goes on at this time of year but not much else.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Most of the top players would have their futures sorted before the RWC not after.

I don't think there's any prospect of getting anyone else in this season, and tbh they're not needed this season, but for next season we should be thinking about it. That's certainly what I meant.

If you assume Fardy and Tomane are gone next season, and Toner, Cronin, McFadden and Kearney will all be out of contract and 34 years old next summer, that's a lot of quality and experience potentially walking out the door in one go. Some of the young guys look great, but I'd be looking to hedge our bets with some proven quality.

^^ Hooker/Second-Row chat was RE 20/21 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If Leinster are going to sign a NIQ hooker then they should go with the Canadian or Uruguayan hookers from the RWC. I don't know if they are good enough players but they would solve the mullet-shortage that Leinster are currently suffering from.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can't see Leinster signing a second row with the talent coming through

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    If Leinster are going to sign a NIQ hooker then they should go with the Canadian or Uruguayan hookers from the RWC. I don't know if they are good enough players but they would solve the mullet-shortage that Leinster are currently suffering from.

The Japanese hooker with the class dreadlocks would also be a top notch signing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,284 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Japanese hooker with the class dreadlocks would also be a top notch signing.

hes older than cronin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you assume Fardy and Tomane are gone next season, and Toner, Cronin, McFadden and Kearney will all be out of contract and 34 years old next summer, that's a lot of quality and experience potentially walking out the door in one go. Some of the young guys look great, but I'd be looking to hedge our bets with some proven quality.

You'd have to assume that 2 of those 4 will get at least 1-2 year Leinster contracts (I'd guess Cronin & Toner).

• Advertisement

Toner and Cronin will get 1-year extensions (if fit)

McFadds might head to England for a 2-year contract.

Handsome Rob might head to France, just to prove he has a better ass than Zebo and can win stuff at club level.

* All of the above may or may not be true...

#Speculation

;-)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    hes older than cronin :D

Yeah but he has dreadlocks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah but he has dreadlocks

Offer Cronin an extension on the basis he is obliged to grow dreadlocks?

Offer Cronin an extension on the basis he is obliged to grow dreadlocks?

Or an extension for extensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

apologies, at least it’s me not Venjur

[image]imgur.com/LSOhRvH.jpg[/image]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Toner and Cronin will get 1-year extensions (if fit)

McFadds might head to England for a 2-year contract.

Handsome Rob might head to France, just to prove he has a better ass than Zebo and can win stuff at club level.

* All of the above may or may not be true...

#Speculation

;-)

Rob seems to want to be a 1 club man

* Both Rob and Dave have sexier asses than zebo.

** I'm heading to pub now as have been sober all day. I expect/demand some decent insults to respond to by midnight! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭scott1974

Team for Embra game.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Hugo Keenan (7)
    14. Dave Kearney (137)
    13. Rory O’Loughlin (63)
    12. Joe Tomane (15)
    11. James Lowe (31)
    10. Ross Byrne (73)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (72)
    1. Peter Dooley (63)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (4)
    3. Michael Bent (126)
    4. Devin Toner (233)
    5. Scott Fardy (45) CAPTAIN
    6. Max Deegan (48)
    7. Scott Penny (6)
    8. Caelan Doris (18)

16. James Tracy (94)
    17. Michael Milne (2)
    18. Vakh Abdaladze (9)
    19. Ross Molony (84)
    20. Josh Murphy (23)
    21. Rowan Osborne (1)
    22. Harry Byrne (2)
    23. Jimmy O’Brien (8)

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (WRU)

Strong team.

Does anyone know what is going on with Cian Kelleher? Seems to be fit, played in pre-season, he's pictured at training every week, but here we are again and not a sniff.

• Advertisement

scott1974 wrote: »
    Team for Embra game.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Hugo Keenan (7)
    14. Dave Kearney (137)
    13. Rory O’Loughlin (63)
    12. Joe Tomane (15)
    11. James Lowe (31)
    10. Ross Byrne (73)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (72)