Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Golf Goals

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well done on winning the Medal. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

1. Get handicap down to 16 or lower (currently 18)
    2. Get 2 birdies in one round.
    3. Break 80 (personal best is 85 at the minute on par 73 course)
    4. Win a strokes competition at my club.
    5. Win GOTY in my society.
    6. Finish in top 10 in GOTY stats at my club.

If I can even hit 4 of those targets, I'll be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

kev_s88 wrote: »
    very up and down year for me last year. modest goals for this year

1) get myself down into the teens handicap wise. Currently off 24 and just too inconsistent. Nothing a few lessons probably wont solve but just need to find the time. Driving is the big issue for me. Developed a wicked slice during the year and just haven't been able to work it out.
    2) represent my club in competition (bit of work to do, but have a knack for matchplay)

simple goals really :D

few lessons done and drive is starting to come good again. still no move in the handicap as i havent managed to play a qualifying round yet. But fingers crossed the digits start to drop.

And possibly linked to the above improvement, goal number 2 will be coming to fruition tomorrow in a local derby match between Beaverstown and Donabate Golf Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Humble Goals - just to get back into the game properly and hopefully develop a simple, effective swing. and enjoy it of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Home for the summer and plan to play a lot! Due to time/cost can’t play a lot at the moment. Last 9 hole scores have been 50, 43, 52, 48 and 47

- Finally get a handicap( felt I wasn’t playing well enough to bother last year!)
    - Break 95(July) was heading for a 92 or 91 last year and had an 11 on the last hole😭
    - Shoot 6 pars in a round
    - Break 100 in Birr, Esker Hills or Moate(Birr is so hard!)
    - Break 95 in Moyvalley/Tullamore
    - Play Rathcore or Meath golf club and break 100( used to live up that direction)
    - Birdie a par three on 2 different courses
    - Play 2 new courses
    - Hit 14 pars or bogeys in a round
    - Play a round with no triple bogey
    - Break 90(August)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

- Break 100 in Birr, Esker Hills or Moate(Birr is so hard!)

I was a member in birr for years and know it very well if u want a few tips on where to go/ not to go let me know and I'll help you break 100 there

Hit one of my targets at the Golf Digest Open yesterday in Palmerstown House Estate. I managed 2 birdies in my round, in fact they both came on my front 9 along with a par on index one which was also a 4 pointer. Frustratingly, I scratched an easy par 3 from a green side bunker... the sand was so soft that my ball flew out and into bunker on far side with bad lie and wheels came off... then 3 doubles meant I wasn't able to post the score I wanted but 19 points was still solid... I did ok on back 9 but a lost ball on 14 or 15 after a great drive of around 270 yards killed my momentum and finished poorly and ended up on 34 points... so number 2 is ticked off...

Also kind of half ticked number 3 off on Monday as well... when I shot 39 for 9 holes.. it got me 24 points and a win, my second win of the year in this 9 hole comp..

Delighted with my game, just need it all to gel one of these Sundays and I feel I can get down to 17 and hopefully 16 soon after..

Hit one of my targets at the Golf Digest Open yesterday in Palmerstown House Estate. I managed 2 birdies in my round, in fact they both came on my front 9 along with a par on index one which was also a 4 pointer. Frustratingly, I scratched an easy par 3 from a green side bunker... the sand was so soft that my ball flew out and into bunker on far side with bad lie and wheels came off... then 3 doubles meant I wasn't able to post the score I wanted but 19 points was still solid... I did ok on back 9 but a lost ball on 14 or 15 after a great drive of around 270 yards killed my momentum and finished poorly and ended up on 34 points... so number 2 is ticked off...

Also kind of half ticked number 3 off on Monday as well... when I shot 39 for 9 holes.. it got me 24 points and a win, my second win of the year in this 9 hole comp..

Delighted with my game, just need it all to gel one of these Sundays and I feel I can get down to 17 and hopefully 16 soon after..

Well done! You’re making great progress - keep it up!

And just to add the putting tips I picked here have made a huge difference to my form. Not near as many 3 putts lurking in my rounds these days and tend to be lagging it up quite well. Thanks a million folks.

Humble Goals - just to get back into the game properly and hopefully develop a simple, effective swing. and enjoy it of course!

Well in the road to this - hoping to join a club shortly and get a GUI. But playing to the standard of an 18 handicap having barely played in 5 years.

Really enjoying it and enthusiastic to improve. Can’t wait to start playing comps.

The swing is in good shape - need maybe another lesson and loads of practise!

Bring it on!

• Advertisement

Well in the road to this - hoping to join a club shortly and get a GUI. But playing to the standard of an 18 handicap having barely played in 5 years.

Really enjoying it and enthusiastic to improve. Can’t wait to start playing comps.

The swing is in good shape - need maybe another lesson and loads of practise!

Bring it on!
    Great stuff! Best of luck with it. The competitions make it even better, especially when you start working your way into contention in comps..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Started the year with high hopes of getting to Cat 1, winning Junior Scratch etc.

Now it is just to get out on the course and play a round, pain free preferably

Hit target 2 for the second time this year with two birdies. It was off the blues too. Unfortunately I carded two 10s also due to bad course management decisions and compounding errors, so finished well back in the field..

I'd like to add another target.

7)Qualify for our Captains Day this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Probably some carry-over from last years goals (which weren't achieved :o)
    • Get to Single Figures (currently 11.6)
    • Improve number of Up & Downs (at around 20% currently)
    • Get to the majority of Boards Society Outings & Make the Jug Team
    • Try retain the Boards Society Captains Prize (think maybe I'd be the first to do that :D)
    • Win a home club competition

Update from me too.

Have hit 9.3, back to 9.4 now, so looking like it wont last long though

Up to 27% for scrambling

Will get to 5 outings with Boards, but Jug might be a struggle at this point

Still fancy my chances for captains :D

Won a home club event, and almost won 2 in a row, which is what got the handicap down.

Hopefully can consolidate the handicap & hold on to it till the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Still fancy my chances for captains :D

never happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

frink wrote: »
    1. Get down to 4, currently 5
    2. Shoot level par or better
    3. Play Junior Cup
    4. Enter a few Scratch Cups to play different courses
    5. Fix my chipping, undoubtedly my biggest weakness

1. Still at 5 and need at least 3 good scores to reach the target
    2. Felt level par was on the cards two weeks ago but let it slip away for a +2. Still my best score
    3. Played Junior Cup and won my match and into last 8 of Leinster. Away for next round so hopefully the team win and get us into the Leinster finals
    4. This is a fail and will remain a fail. Maybe next year!
    5. Chipping has improved but still a weakness relative to players of similar handicaps

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

pakman wrote: »
    I have a few :)
    • Get back to hitting the ball as I did during the summer when I scored 90 twice.
    • Finally break 90 and hopefully more than once.
    • Get out to my first Boards Society event.
    • Get my 20 handicap down to the teens
    • Win a competition at some point. 2nd place and 3rd place this year were only a shot or two away from victory.
    • Play a round without a triple bogey

I'm adding to my list as I've hit all the above. Don't think I was all that ambitious really.

New goal is break 85 without placing. I hit 85 with placing earlier in the year and i've had rounds that had the potential.

Win a boards outing. :D Castleknock and Dooks are my two chances

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭paulos53

paulos53 wrote: »
    1) Get down to single figures from my current handicap of 10.3

The last time I played off 9 was back in 2010 so it would be good to start and finish the decade as a single digit handicapper.

This certainly has not gone to plan.

I started the qualifying season well with a couple of cuts and was down to 9.9 by mid May. I was striking the ball well and felt that single figures was inevitable.

Instead my game has gone backwards. Almost every game since then has been in the 27 - 30 points range and I have only hit the buffer twice in the past 21 rounds.

Handicap is now back to 10.9 and it is only the 10 x 0.1 limit that has stopped it going back to 11.8 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

1. Learn how to hit a driver

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Alanm

I guess the season is just about done for everyone now? Qualifying is finished on my home course anyway. So, how did everyone get on?

My list:
    Play more boards events, only made a few last year - made 5 in the end, but boy was it worth it :)
    Qualify for Jug team - yep, looking forward to it!
    Level par 9 holes on home course - managed to go one under for 9 a couple of weeks ago :)
    > 3 birdies in a competitive round - yep, had 4 in that round above - I've done it twice
    Like bigchap; stretch goal would be CAT 1 (9 now) - not quite; got to 5.9 - started the year on 9 so going well!

A separate mini goal I had was to birdie every hole on my course (in competition). It took a surprisingly long time - 57th round where I finally got the last one ticked off the list (a par 3 that's not that hard, just wouldn't go in!)

Have started thinking about next steps and goals for 2020. To start with I'm going out to get a golf specific fitness assessment/plan next week to give me something to work on over the winter months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Alanm wrote: »
    got to 5.9 - started the year on 9

An excellent year, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Really want to improve my short game in a big way, from 100yds in I'm struggling at the moment. If I can do that I want to reduce my playing handicap to nine if possible (from 11) and I want to be a starter on our bruen team instead of sub like last two years....
    I think thats achievable with practice and patience 😀
    Managed to get down to 10 albeit towards the end of the season. Started on our Bruen team, played well and won first match, played poorly in second match and lost unfortunately. Short game definitely no sharp enough yet. Lots to work on over the winter in this regard. Hitting more greens in regulation has to be a big priority for me next season too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Off the back of a really poor year. Goals are similar to last year.

Get to single figures - currently off 12
    Practice more and play less competitions
    Get lessons
    Figure out a putting stroke
    Play more strategically around the course
    Hope to get around and play a few links courses
    Get back to shooting low 80`s or even brake it

Easy.. :)

Unfortunately another poor year for me :mad:

Singles figures a long way off - moved out to 13
    Did get 2 lessons, worked out a decent chipping game.
    Putting was very poor especially on the faster greens, got a new putter - no improvement.
    Playing more strategically is a work in progress, getting better at it but all my instincts are to go for everything.
    Barely played another course apart from my own all year.
    Low 80's...no chance :pac: best round all year was 85 - worst 96.

Will wait until the new year before deciding goals for next year although with a baby on the way just getting a couple of rounds in will be a success.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I never contributed to the thread earlier in the year.
    I did have one goal this year and that was to improve my handicap, maybe pick up a few prizes.
    Started at the year at 11.7. It wasn't long before I was at 12.7. Indeed if more than 1 shot increase was still allowed, I probably would have been all the way out to 13.4 I think. I was hitting it well, but not really scoring save for a few casual & society games.
    Finally put a couple of rounds together recently.

Handicap is now 11.6...……. I won't say goal achieved just yet as hopefully there is more golf to play, but it is looking good :p

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

davegilly wrote: »
    1. Play more.
    2. Score 36 points or more. Highest so far has been 32.
    3. Get cut. Never been good enough to get cut before so a cut of any description will do.

Looking back now, they weren’t the most ambitious of goals although at the time they looked pretty much impossible for me to achieve 😎

Anyway, achieved all of the above, with bells on! Have played approx 40 rounds between comps, society and casual so that’s petty much double the previous year!!
    Scored 39 points three times even managing to scratch the 18th on two of them :(

Need to sort out the mental stuff!!

Four cuts from from 20 to 17. Back to 18 now and not playing great unfortunately. Hopefully another cut before the year is out.

Next years goals will be a little bit more ambitious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

1. Get down to 4, currently 5
    2. Shoot level par or better
    3. Play Junior Cup
    4. Enter a few Scratch Cups to play different courses
    5. Fix my chipping, undoubtedly my biggest weakness

1. Still at 5 and need at least 3 good scores to reach the target
    2. Felt level par was on the cards two weeks ago but let it slip away for a +2. Still my best score
    3. Played Junior Cup and won my match and into last 8 of Leinster. Away for next round so hopefully the team win and get us into the Leinster finals
    4. This is a fail and will remain a fail. Maybe next year!
    5. Chipping has improved but still a weakness relative to players of similar handicaps

Update on my goals
    1. Started at 5.4 and down to 5.3
    2. +2 remained my best score
    3. Played Junior Cup. Won Leinster and runners up in Ireland. Went above and beyond my original goal
    4. Played one Junior Scratch
    5. Still a weakness. Something to work on over the winter months

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

slave1 wrote: »
    Play as much golf as I can get away with
    Promote a baby draw
    Sell all my accumulated used clubs
    Play RCD and Dun Laoghaire

First one, check but due to weather I've played a good 20 rounds less than usual

Remainder all fails

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

excuse my ignorance but what is "Promote a baby draw" ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Try and play a small draw that goes out a yard or two but comes back to centre by the time it lands, especially off the tee

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slave1 wrote: »
    I've played a good 20 rounds less

So what was that, only 70 odd rounds or so :p

Advertisement