Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not one Irish Bar in "World's 50 Best Bars"!!

Options
  • 11-10-2019 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

The UK leads the 2019 list of 50 Best Bars with 10 bars, while the US has seven. Not one bar in Ireland appears on the list:

http://www.worlds50bestbars.com

Has anyone been to any of the bars in the list? How do they compare to Ireland's best bars?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭NotToScale

You usually have to enter these things to be listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I haven't been to any on the Top 100 list this year, but I do follow a few of them on Facebook, and have read plenty of articles about a few on the list. Bars like the American Bar at The Savoy are legendary, and the amount of work that goes into providing that level of service consistently year after year is immense. Dan Meehan's Please Don't Tell book is a very good insight into what's needed to make it into that list. PDT used to feature on the list annually.

I've never been to a bar in Ireland that provides that kind of quality and service. And you don't get onto the list for pouring perfect pints of stout. (Look how far the Dead Rabbit has fallen)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

NotToScale wrote: »
    You usually have to enter these things to be listed.

Not in this case. There's a large panel of anonymous industry professionals that vote, which is why the list is highly regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not been in any of them, would be interested opinions of anyone who was.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

List should be called "World's Best Cocktail Bars". It's also a certain type of cocktail bar. There's a handful of these on Dawson Street but it's not a particularly common establishment to find in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I couldn't get a lambic in any of these kips.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Considering the list of sponsors and that I'd not willingly seek any one of them out I'm guessing this is a list of bars that stock these drinks.

I have been in one of them though Dead Rabbit in NYC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This yoke opened up in Manchester recently.

dsc-1336-largejpg.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not sure I could be bothered going to a bar that got in to that listing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Can't believe the Cabra House isn't on that list. Shameful omission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Dead Rabbit in New York is at number 22, owned by some lads from Belfast.

An Irish bar for the modern age, Dead Rabbit is, conversely, a classic too. Now in its seventh year, the crowds still flock, feasting on the best Guinness in town and the venue’s famous Irish Coffee. If owners Jack McGarry and Sean Muldoon’s intentions were to recreate Irish pub hospitality in New York, they were triumphant, but Dead Rabbit can go up the gears too. Climb the stairs to the Parlour and you’ll see why bar manager Jillian Vose is one of the most respected cocktail makers in the USA. The drinks lists are always vast, but each cocktail is a masterclass in the harmonising of ingredients. The bar’s famous comic-book menus are something to behold and have evolved further this year, taking the Rabbit character into a darker realm. So this is a bar but also a brand, with extensions now running to merchandise, whiskey, action figures and also a film. Since last year, the bar’s knocked through to next door, doubling its size.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I was in the Dead Rabbit a couple of years ago. It was mid week (a Tuesday or Wednesday I think) and it was jam packed. It didn't come across as anything particularly special at the time. My comment on entering to my Canadian friend was "why have you brought me to a provo bar?" - lots of pictures of shinners on the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Seems to be mainly geared towards cocktails. I myself rarely ever order cocktails because I find them to dear, 12 quid for a fancy glass with fruits, ice, a little bit of liquor and some juice or soda, nah. I'd rather order two pints for that. I also find myself drinking sweet drinks (cocktails but also for example cider) waaaaay faster than a pint of beer so I get leathered too quickly and end up bankrupt.

The only cocktail I tend to order is a gin and tonic which I suppose you could hardly call a cocktail anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If I was to nominate one for a notionsy list like that it would be The Horseshoe Bar in the Shelbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There is a difference between a 'bar' and a 'pub'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭NotToScale

I’m highly skeptical about some of those best in the world lists. If you go back through that one you’ll also see it’s very dominated by certain cities and countries, which to me immediately says they’re not looking very far.

To actually comb the entire globe and find the best bars would be an absolutely enormous task, involving vast amounts of footwork and research.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sleeve tattoo and beard optional

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hmm, I order a pint at the bar, the barperson produces it in a polite, prompt and friendly fashion and I'm a happy punter as I continue to lap up the general buzz in said bar. Why does everything have to be an "experience"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

There is a difference between a 'bar' and a 'pub'.

This, I like pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

RasTa wrote: »
    This yoke opened up in Manchester recently.

dsc-1336-largejpg.jpg

Is that a dry house?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Why am I not surprised? Today I called into Cork’s biggest/best/superset self-proclaimed whiskey bar to enquire about one of their own bottling. The barman didn’t have a clue what I was on about. On the way out I spotted the bottle but I couldn’t even bother anymore to even ask again. Pathetic and a true representation why there is no Irish bars in the top whatever. Incompetent staff is a big turn off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

The Connaught Bar in London has an Irish twang about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's an American list, they see bars and bartending differently from we do.

Irish people value a quiet pub with a good pint and an inconspicuous bartender.
    Americans value a talkative flashy bartender doing tricks and flicks making cocktails and lighting stuff on fire.

Have been to a few on that list in London, NYC and one in Mexico City... none would beat the local on a December evening coming up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It's an American list, they see bars and bartending differently from we do.

Irish people value a quiet pub with a good pint and an inconspicuous bartender.
    Americans value a talkative flashy bartender doing tricks and flicks making cocktails and lighting stuff on fire.

Have been to a few on that list in London, NYC and one in Mexico City... none would beat the local on a December evening coming up to Christmas.

Imagine if some people from both countries liked both experiences, depending on mood and inclination. Almost like they were nations of individual people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Can't believe the Cabra House isn't on that list. Shameful omission.

Booted out for making their iced tea with Tetley's, so I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

All is not lost, don't we have Pub Spy every Sunday highlighting the creme de lá creme of Irish boozers?

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

All is not lost, don't we have Pub Spy every Sunday highlighting the creme de lá creme of Irish boozers?

On a notionally six point scale (0-5) that actually has four points (try find a 0 or a 5 - they do exist, admittedly) so not really giving much granular data on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Ireland had pubs.

The rest of the world has bars.

Most of the funky/overly designed bars Dublin now has - aka the ones owned by the likes of Press Up group etc.. are just copies of other global city's existing bars. NYC/London/Sydney etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Clutterluck

Some of the best bars in the world I've been in were absolute ****holes.

A lot of bars in Ireland have the music dialled up too loud, they should be on the list of 50 worst.

Advertisement